Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Sound in the Night (Spicious)

Started by JackieCat, April 25, 2015, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieCat

Naarilash saw that he still thought he deserved all the credit, and she frowned at him. "Why do you think you're better than I am?" she said, but her voice wasn't really accusative anymore, just full of curiosity.  "Is it because I'm a female?"

She had learned in her extensive reading that in some cultures women were higher than men, but in others, the women were suppressed and not respected.  She had never before been able to imagine that, gender against gender?  It seemed absurd to her.  In the Wolfiei pack male and female were equal.  Either one could become a leader, and they were both respected the same.

"Well?" she asked. "Is it because I'm a woman?"
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Khasm scrunched up his nose at the question. Because she was a woman? No, no, no, nothing at all like that.

"What? No, no, not at all!" He cocked his head at her, almost curiously. "It's just that, well, you're a mage, yeah. But how powerful are you, really? You lead a pack of wolves, for gods' sake!" His book appeared again. "Yeah, this lead me to you but really, how powerful are you?"

JackieCat

"So leading a pack of 'wolves' you say, requires one to be stupid?  I can't be a good mage if I lead a pack of wolves?" she was irked again now, and she planted her hands on her hips. "And how powerful am I?  Granted, I don't use my magic to fight, and you may be a better mage than I, but that doesn't mean I'm a bad one."

She closed her eyes and whispered a word, and a vine started to grow in the ground between them, it snaked higher and higher until it touched the ceiling, then it started to bloom, but the flowers were made of fire.  The vine grew up the ceiling, covering it with the fiery flowers and green leaves.  Then it burst into flames and disappeared.

Then Naarilash crouched to the ground and picked up some rock dust that was there.  she rubbed it between her fingers and threw it at a large piece of rock on the floor behind them.  The rock shuddered, then lifted from the ground.  It raised to the ceiling and the Naarilash directed it to crash to the ground right behind Khasm.

"I know, that was standard magic, nothing special.  And while I haven't my own special brand of magic, If one can perform the most standard spells with excellence, they do not need anything more.  It is not the spell, it's the caster.  Even the most mundane spells can make wonders in the hands of the right mage."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Khasm sighed, running a hand over his face. She'd never understand what it meant to be a powerful wizard. Oh well, that is the fate of the lesser beings.

"Whatever you say, can we be off?"

JackieCat

Naarilash saw he still thought himself better than her, and she smiled at him. "I actually don't think I really want your help anymore.  I don't want you bogging me down on my trip, it will be much faster on my own, and when I get to the magic, I won;t have to share the credit with you.  Unless you want to help me.  I'm sure you wouldn't want to go on your own.  You can tag along if you like."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Suddenly all trace of hesitation fled Khasm, and he seemed almost a completely different person. "No, you'll credit me. With it fully," he pulled up his sleeve, revealing expertly carved runes and glyphs carved into his skin. "This is why, too." He hoped he wouldn't have to explain that it was enchanted runes over his body, but he expected he would. As well as explain the significance of such runes.

JackieCat

Naarilash nodded. "Good, we'll do this together."

When she saw the ruins on his arms her eyes widened. "What are those?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Oh, gods, she was an idiot.

"They're runes, my body is enchanted." Maybe he wouldn't have to tell her how big of a deal this way. But he wasn't holding his breath this time.

JackieCat

"Oh, I know that, I can feel the enchantment, I just wanted to know how you got them and what they do, exactly." Then she remembered something she had read about etiquette. "But, you don't have to tell me, if you don't want to.  But I would like to know."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

He raised his left arm, displaying the marks with a beaming smile of pride. "These are runes of summoning, I can summon anything from ghosts to demons to even angels!" He lowered it and then raised his right. "These are banishing rooms, which allow me to banish whatever it is I summon, it's rather spectacular."

JackieCat

"Can you summon non-magical beings or mortals?" Naarilash questioned, looking closer at the ruins.  "They are rather amazing, how did you come by them?  Or were you born with them?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

"I.." He closed his mouth, considering the question. He'd never tried summing a mortal before, wasn't even sure it could be done. But then again, no one had believed he could enchant his body. Sure, it was a catastrophic accident that left several people dead, but he'd still done it.

"I don't know if I can."

JackieCat

"Anyway," Naarilash clapped her hands together.  "Do you want to go now?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

"Lead, the way, 'pack leader'," He said, trying hard to keep the sarcasm out of his voice. He didn't like this woman, she was a coward. Using a group of people under your command to protect you? It screamed weakness.

JackieCat

Naarilash could hear the sarcasm in his voice, despite his attempts to hide it. "Thank you," she said, playing along. "Being the pack leader takes a lot of responsibility.  We are all one unit, protecting one another and taking care of one another.  We can all depend on one another, as a family should.  It is a group effort.  While we are gone the Beta will take control."

She looked around until she spotted the beta.  She walked over to him and they spoke in the Wolfiei language.  A moment later Narrilash walked back over to Khasm.

"He will explain to the pack.  If I were to do it now, we wouldn't be leaving for at least another hour."

She looked around and then headed for the cavern exit.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Khasm said nothing, thinking himself wise enough to know he could take them, but it'd take such a large amount of the day away. It was noonish, he thought, and he didn't want to waste any more time in this cave than he had to. It smelled of shit and wolves -- well, to him it did anyway. Ugh, disgusting.

JackieCat

Naarilash walked out of the cavern and into the noonday sun.  She would bring nothing with her, she needed nothing.

"We should go to the town where you were hired!" she called over her shoulder to the man. They might be able to find something about the mage there.  Naarilash was nearly shaking with excitement to be going to a city!  She had never before been in the company of other humans, and she wondered what a city would be like, exactly.  She had read about them, of course, and had even seen a few illustrations,but had never actually seen one in real life.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Khasm frowned, then stopped moving. "How exactly will going AWAY from the magic help us find the magic?" She truly was an idiot, but the enchanted mage was being to expect stupidity from this 'pack leader'. She was away from her pack, so Khasm knew without a doubt he could beat her in a fight and force her to listen to her better.

JackieCat

Naarilash turned to look at him. "Sometimes going away from something will help you get closer.  So if we go to the town we may be able to find more about the mage who you were sent to find.  But if you know where the magic is, then we should go there.  But I thought you said that your book couldn't sense the magic, so I assumed you knew not where it was."

Naarilash could have told you from the start that this man would be hard to contend with.  He seemed to be very arrogant, thinking her below him.

"If you know where it is then I suggest you tell me, since you seem to know everything,"  Naarilash said sarcastically.  She usually wasn't sarcastic, but this man was getting on her nerves.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Khasm groaned in exasperation. "No, I said the book can't find any information about it because no one in a ten-mile radius knew anything about it." He explained with an annoyed frown. "I then, assuming whatever this was would be the strongest magic in the area -- aside from my own, of course -- and then I went to that. So that's the first clue. Whatever it is, if it's in ten miles of us, is weaker, or less obvious, than you." He summoned his book again, it flipped to a random page and floated over to her. 
The runes, he knew, would probably be indecipherable to her, he wasn't even sure how he knew how to read it.