Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Sirrush and the Scam Artist

Started by kleineklementine, May 29, 2015, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

"Tch, even a 'bucket of water' has to be carried for more than an hour! What do you think -"

But she stopped mid-sentence and stared, gaping at him.

Did he say -?

Did he -?

Kaya still looked angry and defiant, but she also looked red. She didn't smell! She definitely didn't smell foul! She wasn't of a 'foul odor!'

And as much as she'd hate to admit it, his words left her worried. After all, she was still a teenager, and even though she wasn't usually self-conscious about her body, people didn't usually tell her that she smelled!

Her face was so hot, she was so mortified, that she felt like her head was going to explode. She tried to say something in response, but all that came out was sputtering. And finally she turned on her heel and stomped out of the tent, too annoyed and - more importantly - too self-conscious and far too deeply embarrassed to keep talking to Quinlan.

Lion

He watched as she hurried out of the tent, red in the face.  And a smug grin spread across his face.  "That's flustering for ya," he snickered and peered down at the undone chain.  He carefully picked it up and held it in his hands, hobbling out of the tent and at last into the fresh air.

"A surprising breeze out here."  He took in a deep breath and smiled.  "Goats and embarrassment galore."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

"Oh, shut up, pig-man," she snapped grumpily back at him, still too embarrassed to actually look at him. She crossed her arms over her chest, glaring at the desert - How had he managed to ruin her good mood?

Man, she hated this guy!

But suddenly she realized: he was standing out here with her. Out here. Outside the tent. She'd undone the bonds and then walked away! Kaya jumped suddenly backwards, rounding to face Quinlan. And it was clear from her expression that she expected him to attack her, the way he had Nasr, at any moment now that he was 'free.' Ish.

Lion

Quinlan glanced at her and then her expression.  Oh right.  The chains!  She'd momentarily forgotten about her little smug idea and to his own benefit.  But he just stood there, holding the bundle chain in his hands and made no move to strike at her - though she would most certainly have it coming with out she treated him.  What good did revenge do when he was just happy to finally get some fresh air.

"Is that your dog out there?" he asked, pointing to the hound that dutifully remained by the goats, but tried to make it appear as if he was excited at all to see Quinlan outside too.  "Mind if I go sit by him?  We can look after those goats together.  And you can...do whatever it was you were going to do, I guess."

He didn't wait for her to answer before hobbling off toward the dog, whistling loudly and the dog still trying to ignore him.  He reached the goats and took to sitting upon a rock in some nice shade, petting the dog gently, as they both looked on over those smelly goats. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

Kaya just stared at his audacity for a while, open-mouthed and gawking. Not only did he not attack her, like she'd expected him to, but he'd just sauntered off as though he belonged here!

Once she recovered from the shock, she ran quickly after him.

"Oh no, I don't think so!" she corrected him brusquely, coming to a stop in front of him, hands on her hips. "You don't get to just wander around here going wherever you want," she snipped at him, glaring authoritarianly. Maybe if she acted like she was still in charge, everyone would believe it. "You march yourself back into that tent, mister. You'll burn out here, anyway. You're barely dressed - you want all that new skin to turn into bacon again?"

Lion

Quinlan honestly didn't think it was that big a deal.  He was largely healed.  And he thought she'd be happy that he was out of her hair and could take care of himself - well, as much as he could being in chains as he was.  However unhappy he might in that regard, he wasn't about to give up this small bit of freedom.

"Relax, I'm not bothering anybody.  Not even the goats.  They're still roaming around, doing goat things.  And the dog is still watching them.  Besides, shouldn't you be happy to finally have your tent back?" he asked, quirking a brow at her.  He looked her over, up then down, and snickered.  "Why don't you sit with me instead of nagging me to death, Kaya?  You're getting awfully flustered."  And he snickered at that.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"Fine," Kaya said flatly, not bothering to tell him that his skin could always burn again if left exposed to the desert sun, "if you're feeling oh-so-much-better, then I think you may as well move along. I don't need you looking after my goats, or getting in my way. I'll take you back to the well," she needed to go anyway, "and you can go back along your way."

Lion

"Not quite," he said.  "I'm sure you'd want your bonds back, wouldn't you?"

[Tiny posts]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Kaya rolled her eyes, as if the answer to that was obvious. "I'll undo the bonds when we get to the well, obviously."

[Tiny post competition!]

Lion

"Then that means in the meantime, I'm still a guest within your camp.  And I'd like to sit here and watch the goats.  Besides your hound is lonely.  Look at that face.  He's a gem.  And he needs some company to help pass the time.  No need to get fussy, Kaya.  You're as pink as a peach.  Terrible saying, I know.  Most peaches aren't pink at all."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"You're the pink one, pig-man," she retorted lamely. "And anyway, I need to go to the well. So," she snatched the lead attached to Quinlan's bonds, "we can go now. Come along! And don't try to pull any more of that 'guest' business with me, abjad. I don't know what you're up to, but I'm onto you. "

Lion

Quinlan paused, staying put from where he was on the rock.  "When you found me...what happened to my clothes?  My belt?  Do you have them still?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Kaya gave a shrug. "You mean what was left of them?" Seeing the way he paused, Kaya decided to lie and said, "I burned 'em, why? Nothing but rags, anyway."

Lion

He didn't believe her, but didn't push the matter further.  What good would that do after all.  She wanted to believe she had the upper hand.  He stood, with a great deal of reluctance, and plopped down gracefully from the rock.  And the dog followed.  But upon looking at Kaya, he stayed put and dutifully watched the goats.  At least when she was looking at him.

Quinlan itched at his bonds.  "So I'm just going to wear this skirt thing for a while?  Do you have any footwear I can borrow at least until I get to the well?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Kaya gave the dog a grave threat in her own language, then turned to Quinlan. What was he doing sitting? Didn't he hear that they were going? Then she could really be rid of him. If he was skulking around out here, he'd be more trouble to her than he would in the tent. What if he found the Sirrush? That would be bad for everyone: the Sirrush would be stressed (bad for them), and probably kill Quinlan (bad for him). Both things would be bad for Kaya.

"No, I don't have things like that for you, and you'll just have to cope. Anyway, I'll put you on the donkey. You won't be walking the whole way, now come along," she gave the chain a sharp tug, pulling Quinlan up to his feet and marching him to the donkey. Once he was there, she scampered shortly into the tent, then reappeared with some water jugs attached to a harness that she slung over the donkey. With the jugs empty, he should be able to carry Quinlan as well. And she returned with a dark scarf.

"No point in you knowing how to get back here," she frowned, reaching up to tie the scarf around Quinlan's eyes.

Lion

Quinlan put his hands up in front of hers, blocking the cloth a minute. "Er, thanks, Kaya.  Y'know for...everything," he said.  "Maybe not the tying me up part but the, uh, putting up with me part.  And helping with the burns.  Thanks."  He leaned in and kissed her lightly on the lips, brushing his against hers before pulling away, and taking the blindfold, strapping it securely over his eyes.

Well, as secure as it could be to block most of his vision and still be able to blink. He could see faint shapes, but the details were largely muddled.  Still he got on the donkey with some difficulty, holding onto the harness on the pack animal's back.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Uhhh...

Kaya stared. Her cheeks colored several shades. He kissed her! Why had he kissed her? They weren't, you know, trying to fluster each other! There was no reason to... uh... Kaya just stared, frozen on the spot for a minute. As angry as it made her, the contact left her feeling flush and fluttery in the stomach. Her heart was going ba-dump-ba-dump-ba-dump.

No, Kaya! she reprimanded herself. She needed to get him out of here! She needed to get back to work! She didn't need to think about what it felt like with his lips against hers. Or what it had felt like when she'd had him pinned and really kissed him...

Uh, wait. She was getting distracted! Returning to the moment, Kaya glared grumpily at Quinlan, giving him an extra shove onto the donkey. "Yeah, well, don't mention it, pig-man," she grumbled. Once he was on, Kaya took the donkey's lead, heading off towards the well. Maybe she'd throw him in it once they were there!

Lion

[Maybe she should throw herself in. Sounds like she needs a little cooling off.]

Kaya was right about the sun hitting him.  He did feel a little dizzy after a half hour.  But he wasn't going to tell her that!  Quinlan just kept quiet on the donkey.  Or quiet, as in not talking, but his mouth started to hum a soft tune he remembered from a Connlaothian tavern.  Then after a while he started to softly murmur the words.

"My Lady of Starlight,
Your eyes gleam in fire.
Drawing me toward
Heart's deepest desire

"You came to me then,
Crept into my dreams.
I kissed thee with passion
But ye vanished in a gleam.

"My Lady of Starlight,
Heart's dream within a dream.
You bade me come to you,
Departured by seams..."

Quinlan kept humming, mumbling the words softly as the donkey honked in tune, once or twice.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Oh brother. Was he going to keep that up the whole time? Not only did his singing or mumbling or whatever annoy Kaya, but the song itself was... embarrassing. Not in the way that the kissing had embarrassed her (well, okay, a little) but mostly in its gross treacly sentimentality. Who wanted to openly sing so openly about their emotions like that? It was weird.

"Knock it off, you," Kaya called up at him, annoyed. "I don't need you alerting every bandit within a mile of our presence. Save it for when you're on your own."

She let out a brusque 'hmph!', and carried on. But she couldn't stay too annoyed for long. Because at the back of her head, the images of the perfect little Sirrush kept swimming around. They were beautiful! They were perfect! She loved them so much already! And once she ditched this bozo, she'd be able to give them all her time and attention and she'd be able to send word back with Nasr and everything!

Lion

"I wasn't even singing loudly," Quinlan protested.  Gods, what was twisting her under-robes into a bunch?  Certainly he knew she was eager to be rid of him, and no doubt he was eager to be out of her hair.  It was a shame, however, that he would have to forfeit a job.  The opportunity however to get those Sirrush eggs would have been before they hatched.

Quinlan was never much for caution, not if the opportunity was narrow and would not present itself again.  He did, however, consider if the payout was even worth the risk.  The man seemed like a crazed egghead.  And frankly, Quinlan was tired of chasing after myths and legends.  Even if this legend in particular was in fact real.

Little to little, little too late.

Quinlan slowly stopped his murmuring.  He instead listened to the wind, and felt his ear twitch.  Maybe it was the way the sun was hitting him, or maybe it was the way the sand crunched beneath the hooves of the donkey.  He felt a shiver run down his back, and he pulled back on the bindings around his wrist.

"Stop," he said.  "Right now.  Stop."  He slipped his leg from over the donkey's back.  He kept his feet firmly in the ground and leaned his head down, slipping the blindfold from his head.  He pulled back again against the end that Kaya held.  "Stop.  Take these off me.  Now.  Something is wrong.  I'm not kidding."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn