Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Sirrush and the Scam Artist

Started by kleineklementine, May 29, 2015, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

"To look for help you left the main road - I assume you were traveling on a main road - to wander down a little goat track? You're dumber than I thought."

"Kaya!" Nasr shot her a meaningful look, then turned back to Quinlan, trying to look composed, as though they were all having pleasant tea together. "I think, brother, that it will take a several days for you to heal properly. Unfortunately," he frowned, "I won't be able to stay here with you that entire time, like I said. But I can return in four days, then I can guide you back to the main caravan routes. Perhaps you can find passage there. There are always several caravans going to Essryn. In the meantime, please, stay in here and rest."

It was half request, half command. But couched very politely.

Then Kaya and Nasr left Quinlan to rest, disappearing to their own chores. Or, by the sounds of it, another heated 'discussion' in their own language from outside the tent. When Kaya finally returned, the sun had disappeared over the horizon, and she was alone. She handed Quinlan a bowl of chickpeas as graciously as she could manage (not very gracefully), with a gruff, "Please, eat."

Lion

Quinlan just smiled when they departed, finishing his tea.  "You assume much."  And just shook his head because a child's rebuffs meant very little to him.  Sure he was a guest in her home, but what did it matter in the end.  He was going to take one of those little Sirrush babies and be on with it.

He'd always been a fast healer.

When she returned, he looked up at her and stared at the chickpeas.  He hesitated.  "Thank you.  But...I'm not hungry.  The tea was enough.  I know I'm imposing already," he said, shaking his head.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

"You have to eat," Kaya responded flatly. "Or you won't heal as quickly."

She watched him hawkishly. The bubbly, embarrassed girl she'd been the last time they were alone together replaced by a surly, suspicious one.

Finally, she blurted out, "What are you really doing here? I don't believe your 'trader' story for a minute. And I can still have Myshhusu eat you, you know. I'll say it was an accident," she added, just in case he had the gall to bring up all the hospitality arguments Nasr had.

Lion

Quinlan reluctantly took the bowl of chickpeas and laid them out beside him.  He didn't eat them however and just looked at her with a serious expression. "I told you.  I'm just a trader.  You don't have to believe me.  But I told you the truth."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

"My ass you are!" Kaya snapped at Quinlan, glaring balefully at him. If Quinlan had wanted an easy time with the girl who only hours earlier had been cheerfully tending to him and chatting happily with him, he'd clearly made the wrong move in attacking Nasr. The way she eyed him now, it looked like not only did she still hold a grudge against him, but like she wouldn't mind getting a few more kicks in.

"You listen to me. You'll stay here until you're healed enough, fine. But you'll stay here" she pointed emphatically to the floor of the tent. "I don't want you stepping foot outside this tent, you filthy abjad." Any irony of the juxtaposition between caring for and tending to Quinlan and cursing and threatening him was, it seemed, lost on Kaya. "I mean it. And you'll do what you're told," she added, pointing to the chickpeas. The message clear: Eat the fucking chickpeas! "Nasr might be the one who insisted on keeping you as a guest - even though you've acted like a bloodthirsty barbarian - but Myshhusu listens to me. And he can eat you."

There was no joke in that threat, or in the hard stare Kaya gave him to drive it home. Even if he were armed, which he wasn't, Quinlan would stand a poor chance against the golden-scaled Sirrush.

Then Kaya turned to the tent flap and whistled. The short-furred, bat-eared appeared in the tent at her side. She said something to it in her own language, then pointed at Quinlan. The dog looked obediently at Kaya. Then at Quinlan. Then growled. Kaya said something that sounded like praise and patted the dog on the head.

"Now eat your dinner," she warned Quinlan, before turning and leaving the tent.

The dog planted himself firmly in front of the tent flap, keen eyes fixed on Quinlan.

Lion

The message was clear.  And he patiently waited for her to finish, just before setting her dog to watch him.  When she left, he stared at the hound, met his eyes for the longest time until the dog growled softly.  Quinlan smirked, eating a chickpea and nudging his head toward the bowl.  The dog kept staring, determined to be faithful to his owner.

Quinlan still kept his gaze, turning his face gently and putting a few chickpeas in his hand, but the dog just gave a chuff and another growl.  But there was a whining lilt to the end of it, one that got his attention.  The blood mage leaned up, looking toward the flap and rolling one of the soft chickpeas to the dog.  The animal gave a sniff and slurped it up, munching on it thoughtfully.

He ate some more and nudged his head again, the dog licking his chops and chuffing again.  "Come on, boy," he whispered and threw another chickpea on the ground.  He munched it up immediately, scooting a little closer one cooked chickpea at a time.  Quinlan kept eating them until the dog was close enough to pet.  And when he held out his hand with the last one, he carefully scratched fingers on top of the dog's head.  "There's a good boy."

He growled a little, indignant at being tricked by bland chickpeas, but otherwise made no complaints.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Kaya returned a few hours later to the tent to find Quinlan - and the dog! - fast asleep. As in, fast asleep together! The dog was curled up at Quinlan's side, head resting on the man's leg. Oh, this dog was the worst! She clucked her tongue and the dog's ears perked up and he looked guiltily at her. Tail tucked down, he skulked out of the tent. Back to the goats.

Well, if she couldn't trust the dog, Kaya would have to take more extreme measures. She considered Quinlan for awhile, then formulated a plan.

When Quinlan woke, he'd find his hands and feet fastened together with strong leather straps; taken from the mule. There was just enough length between his feet that he could hobble, and the half-foot of length between his hands would allow him to lift a bowl to his mouth, but not much more. And he wouldn't be hobbling far because the whole aparatus was fastened to the sturdy iron stove at the back of the tent. The leather straps around his hands and feet weren't tied in knots, but fastened with buckles that had been locked with solid bronze locks. That was the handy part of having metalsmiths in the family! The tunic was still wrapped kilt-like around his waist; Kaya decided she wasn't going to redress him again. Too much touching!

Kaya felt, truth be told, quite pleased with herself! Smug, even. So the stupid abjad thought he could charm her dog, huh? Well, Kaya Aram was smarter than that! In the morning, she drank her tea, watching the prone, tied up, half-naked man sleep feeling quite proud.

Lion

What the!  Quinlan blinked up at the tent ceiling.  Something was different.  And not in a good way.  He moved and found his hands couldn't move farther than a few inches.  "Hey!  Hey Kaya!"  To think that'd he'd done exactly as he was told and this was how she repaid him!  This was why he never did what he was told!

Quinlan saw her sitting smugly, and he was certain that she was quite satisfied with herself.  "What's this all about?" hehissed.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"What is this all about?" Kaya parroted back at him, sitting up straight and leaning a bit towards him now that he woke. She was glad to see that the contraption was working!

"Well," she explained happily, grinning a wide, open grin, "clearly I can't trust you, and I can't trust that dog of mine. So," she shrugged, her grin practically glowing at this point, and went back to leaning oh-so-casually back and sipping her tea, "I had to take matters into my own hands."

Lion

Quinlan blinked at her.  Clearly questioning whether or not she was serious would be stupid.  Because by her very words and glances, she was seriously serious.  And like it or not, he was stuck here.  Well, fine, if that was how she wanted to play it.  "I have to pee," he said, remember the tea he drank, and the chickpeas.

"Did you want me to pee in here?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"I've thought of that," she replied proudly. Setting her tea down and springing to her feet, Kaya skipped over to where the straps binding Quinlan were lashed to the stove. Producing a key from inside her tunic, she unlocked the length of leather from the stove, resulting in her essentially having Quinlan on a leash... The leather lead in her hand leading to the leather thongs that bound his hands and feet.

"Come on, then!" she chirped, grinning from where she held the leather leash, as though Quinlan were a dog on a lead. "You should still be able to hobble out."

Lion

And just like a dog on a lead, Quinlan was jolted out of bed and rolled off unceremoniously.  Not that it mattered.  He was still quite clearly the fool in this.  For such a light sleeper, how could he not have felt the straps she used to wrap around him. He hissed, climbing to his feet with some difficulty.  "Does your cousin know you're into weird stuff?" he asked.

He kicked himself for asking such a dumb question, but nevertheless.  When he was in an area suitable for urination, he wasted no time.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"What do you mean, 'weird stuff?'" Kaya asked, oblivious to what Quinlan was hinting at. "This isn't weird, this is practical! Better yet, resourceful! You might've tricked me once, pig-man, but you're not tricking me again!"

She said all of this while, obviously, averting her eyes from Quinlan's business. But once he was done, she gave the lead a sharp tug. "Come on, then, back into the tent!"

Really, she thought, it was kind of fun, having this sort of power over the stupid foreigner who thought he could trick her! With that in mind, she gave the lead another sharp tug.

Lion

This was quickly going to get on his nerves.  The tugging and pulling, and her snide attitude.  Quinlan was certain, in better condition, he could give one good tug and run off.  Or hobble off.  He stumbled again in the dirt, catching himself on the side of the tent.

"Easy, crone," he hissed.  "I've only got two legs and unless you want to see my manhood flopping about, let me fix this  kilt yougave me.  Good gods."  He sstraightened and fixed the bottom of the kilt, before moving along again.  There was the dog again, curiously watching from his spot by the goats.  He wagged his tail and then he noticed Kaya, and his ears immediately went back.

Quinlan moved back inside the tent, flopping back on the pillows.  "Okay, now what?  You just expect to sit here until I heal?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"That's exactly what I expect!" Kaya informed him brightly, ignoring his comment about his 'manhood.' Gross! "How else you gonna heal, anyway? You're supposed to just lay around and rest when you need to heal. You're just lucky you've got me to make you do it, since you're too dumb to do it on your own."

Once they were back in the tent and she'd shuffled Quinlan back to his 'bed' of carpets, she gave the lead another sharp tug in hopes of getting him to stumble back down to the ground. Was that too much? Maybe/ But only if he were a real guest! And Kaya was SURE he wasn't. He was a trickster. And she was getting the better of him!

Lion

Quinlan huffed, sitting down and crossing his legs, sorta, under him.  He quirked his brows at Kaya.  "And what makes you so sure that I wasn't just going to stay in here anyway?  You simply assumed that I was going to wander around your camp?  I'm malnourished and tired, and sunburnt.  Any more exposure to the sun and I'll be dead.  Oh, but I forgot.  I'm a stupid abjad."

He rolled his eyes and looked back to the bowl of salve that she'd made him.  He shifted down enough to reach for it, still quite uncomfortable in his skin.  He plucked it up and laid it out, able to rub part of it on his front, but he couldn't do anything to reach his back.

He looked to Kaya.  "You'll have to get that."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"I don't know what to assume you'll do. I thought you were just a poor, stupid traveler. And then you nearly killed my cousin! And then when I had the dog keep an eye on you because I'm busy, you charmed him, too. So, how do I know you'd just stay here and - "

Before she could say 'behave,' he brought up the problem of the salve. Oh no. She hadn't thought of that.

Crud.

Was he trying to trick her again? Embarrass her and make her undo his ties so we could do it himself? No way. Kaya could... she stared at his bare flesh... she could... no problem, she'd just... Oh dear.

It wasn't very much at all that Quinlan could reach. She'd have to do the rest. Oh boy. He might be a stinky abjad, but he was also a grown man. Kaya had never touched a grown man before! Not like that!

"Uh, yeah," she finally sputtered, after ample staring and obvious fretting. "Um, no.... problem. I can do... that."

Lion

What happened to that genius master plan?  Quinlan furrowed his brow.  What was the problem?  It wasn't like he was made of slime!  Or maybe to her eyes, he was.  He supposed he didn't blame her.  But his skin was getting rather irritated and he looked from her to the ointment again. 

"Is something the matter?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Kaya picked up the salve, trying to be cool, but as soon as she looked up at Quinlan again, her cheeks immediately flushed red. "Maybe I can just... spoon it on you."

Lion

Quinlan made a face.  "Hands work better.  It's easier to tell if you need more with your hands.  Really, it's not that hard."  He was getting a little impatient and would really rather just do it himself, but that wasn't really an option at this particular point.

He just put his back to her, sitting as straight as possible.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn