Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Obsidian Dreams [Open]

Started by Argroww, September 11, 2015, 07:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argroww

Dust drifted through the chasms, here and there a small pebble, disturbed from their rest by some other smaller object or a slight tremor in the ground.  One such pebble bounced for some distance, spinning over empty space as it made it's downward journey deep within one of the deeper crevices, each time hit hit a surface a light "tick" noise echoed over the ever darkening gap until it finally hit a loose rock.  That rock repeated the effort till it hit a stone, which hit another and thus the process continues until a small rockslide was started, noisy and echoing about the crevice like thunder, but heard by no-one.

Standing on the top floor of a ruined house that had been bolstered with extra struts at some distant point in the past Ochritok stood, eyes dark from his self-imposed silence, 4 thousand years he had stood there, covered in dust, cobwebs and numerous ancient bird droppings.  This was until the rockslide crashed into what was left of the ruined house and knocked the supports out of place.  The upper floor of the house groaned as it took Ochritok's full weight without the benefit of supports...and then gave way a few seconds later.

The massive Golem then joined the rockslide for a time until finally coming to rest at the bottom of the crevice, a place that many centuries ago has been above ground and a splendid city, but was now little more than dusty ruins at various levels in an intricate cave and chasm network.

However the fall elicited no reaction from the huge Golem who remained in his self-imposed slumber, who was now covered in rocks in addition to dust, bird poo and several startled spiders.

JackieCat

"Oi!  You give that back!  Or not, I mean you don't have to, if you don't want to.  And you couldn't actually give it back, since I never actually had it.  So, nevermind, I guess." The young woman had been talking to a squirrel who was sitting up in a tree, a nut between it's paws.

"Anyway, moving on." Meerior Shlakea continued walking through the forest, humming and swinging her arms at her sides, often talking to herself about all manner of things.

She was walking like this when she abruptly stopped.  Her foot was over the edge of a crevice in the earth.  Dirt fell from the edge.  She could have died if she hadn't seen the crevice the second she did.

"Why, isn't this exiting!" the young woman said happily, still standing with her foot over the edge.  She was balancing quite precariously on the edge, but she didn't seem to notice at all.  "I think that I like this crevice," she said. "It has a feel about it, don't you think?  Yes, I agree with you, it is very good."

Then she stepped off of the edge.

She fell, and she fell far.  She hit the rocky ground below hard, and there was an echo through the ravine as her ribs cracked loudly.  "Ouch." she said, before she passed into unconsciousness.

She woke a few minutes later, and she sat up.  As she did, a jagged edge of a rib punctured her skin and she bit her lip.  She sat there, propping herself up with her hands.  Then she smiled and stood up.  she made a soft muttering sound under her breath, and a second later, about ten yards away from her a dark shadow appeared, a void which slowly widened.  It was dark, and endless, but with no beginning.  Some people would go mad just looking at it, but not Meerior, then again, she was already mad.

She looked at it expectantly, and a second later a dark shape appeared.  It was in the shape of a man, but much larger and it's skin was pitch black.  It had red slits for eyes, and two curving horns from ti's skull.  It had two huge batwings, now folded, and claws longer than Meerior's hand.  it radiated a strange feeling, a wrongness that some people would be overwhelmed by.  Meerior just stood there.  The being was a demon, and it walked right up to the young woman. 

It held out it's hand, and she put hers into them.  Then it closed it's hands around the woman's with a gentleness that wouldn't have been believed possible from such a creature.  Then Meerior closed her eyes and her wounds started to heal.  The blood receded back into her body, and the wound closed up.  Her ribs were fixed, and then the creature let go of her hands and stepped back into the void.  The void closed and Meerior was alone.  Or so she thought. 

The whole exchange had happened in a matter of seconds, but now Meerior turned around to see something peeking out of a pile of stones.  It was shny stone, not the crumbled rocks all around.

She walked over to it and cleared away some of the stones to reveal the shape of a man. "Oh yes!" she said. "A Golem!  I wonder if it will wake for me?"

She reached out a hand and placed it onto the golem's shoulder.  She closed her eyes and her hand grew warm, very warm, hot.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Argroww

At first there was no response from the huge golem, his obsidian features remaining inert, the heat generated under Meerior's hand was no more effective than the fall had been in encouraging the goal-less golem to awaken from his slumber.  In some ways his former master in her intended kindness had perhaps done him more harm than good, golems were servants, they were built for a purpose and magically charged to carry that purpose out.  He no longer had any purpose, none at all, he existed for nothing, so why bother?

Eventually though he decided to try and figure out why someone would want to heat his shoulder, he could not understand the benefit of doing so.

Two green orbs glowed in the holes that passed for his eyes as he awoke himself.

"Why for you heat my shoulder?" Ochritok asked in a voice that echoed through the chasm.

He otherwise remained in his prone position, not seeing any specific need to move at this point.

JackieCat

"Why, to wake you up, of course!" Meerior said, smiling brightly as the golem awoke. "And it's worked!  You are awake, aren't you not?"

She took her hand from his shoulder, her skin cooling as she did so.  "Anyways, anyways," Meerior said, walking around to the front of the golem to look into his eyes, a crooked smile on her face. "What are ye doing here?  Why are you just sittin' in the dust?  You're so big and strong, and though some people would say your face isn't very pretty, I think you're handsome!  People are crazy crazy crazy!  They think I'm crazy!  Haha!"

She tipped back her head and laughed.  It was high and unearthly.  When she was finished she clasped her hands in front of her. "So, why were you jus' sittin' there?  And how long have you been there?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Argroww

Ochritok's eyes changed to purple as he regarded the female from his prone position, he didn't know what to make of her, she was no golem builder that was for sure.

"I am not sitting." He said simply, knowing full well that he was currently lying on his side.

It seemed this female was not due to leave him alone so he stood, a few rocks and pebbles were dislodged as he assumed a standing position, he took in his surroundings.  He looked around and barely recognised the now very much crumbled ruins as the place he left himself asleep and his former master passed away, many years must have passed and the golem builders long gone.

"This is a strange place for a person to be, why are you here?" Ochritok asks of Meerior

JackieCat

"I know you're not sitting, your were laying down, but it don't matter."

Meerior sat down cross legged on a large rock and watched the golem.  "Why am I here?"  she said when he asked the question. "I jumped.  I jumped jumped jumped.  From way way up there!" She pointed up. "And I fell, and landed had, and I broke my ribs and bled.  I was saved then.  So I'm all good now.  Why are you down here? Did you jump as well?  Though you wouldn't have broken anything, you're too big and hard."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Argroww

Ochritok looked upwards, judging the distance to be unsafe for for a fleshy being like this female.

"You were lucky to survive." He said simply.

The golem then pondered the question, why was he here?

"I do not break, my master made me so, but I did not jump.  I am here because I chose to be nowhere and such a choice left me nowhere to move to."

The purple glowing orbs that passed for eyes focused on Meerior, he could see where her clothes had ripped from the fall, and some blood, but no wound was present, it was impressive healing.

"I am Ochritok....I am...I am a free Golem....I don't know what to do." He said with a note of confusion.

JackieCat

"That's okay," Meerior said with a sudden kindness that did not fit how she had just been talking. "If you do not know what to do, I will help you."

She stood and walked over to him.  She patted him. "Why don't we start by getting out of this ravine?  I'm sure we'll find something to do once we're out there!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Argroww

"You wish to leave?" The golem said looking again at the walls.

He looked at his hands and feet then at Meerior, then at the walls of the ravine again.

"I think I can throw you out of the ravine, I will then follow by climbing, it would not be safe for you to ride on my shoulders, you might fall off.  If I throw you, I can do it just right so you land without injury?"

He then just looked at her, his crudely formed face having no emotion to show, then his eyes suddenly brightened.

"I do not know your name? By what shall I call you?"

JackieCat

"Ohhh!!  You'll throw me?"  Meerior said, clapping her hands together like an exited child. "I'd love that!  And you can call me Meerior.  It's my name, you see.  What's your name?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Argroww

"I am Ochritok" he said, the fact that he'd already told Meerior not crossing his mind.

The giant golem approached Meerior and placed one hand under her posterior, lifting her as easily as anyone might an apple in one hand, his arm wound back in a way that would be impossible for someone with a skeltal structure, but was remarkably similar to a catapult.  With no noise what-so-ever Ochritok threw Meerior toward the top of the crevice, the force and angle behind the throw was spot on accurate, at high speed she was launched through the air the crevice walls rushing pasts and ever closer and just as her upward momentum was getting closed to slowing she popped over the lip of the crevice and landed relatively softly, the return of gravity's control being exerted at just the right point in her arc.

Ochritok himself, sure in his calculations didn't even watch to see if she landed safely, but instead started on his climb up the wall, most of the time his simply slammed his fingers into the walls and climbing by force rather than skill, rock-climbing wasn't in his skillset, making holes in things was.

Roughly an hour later he popped over the edge of the crevice, joining Meerior, assuming she had waited for him.

JackieCat

Meerior let out a shriek of glee as she was tossed out of the pit.  She waited the whole hour that Ochritok took to climb up the side of the ravine.

She looked over the edge and watched him climb once he was in sight, and before that she sat and plucked grass from the ground, weaving it together.

When he crested the edge she smiled at him.

"Now what?" she asked.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Argroww

"Much has changed" Ochritok said as he looked about the now dry looking region his city once occupied, long ago it had been lush and green, now it was not.  The grass that Meerior pulled out of the ground and wove was some of very little that stubbornly grew.

Up here there was no sign at all of the city, you'd not be able to tell that anyone would ever have lived here.  He found this unusual for a city to have vanished so completely.

"I do not know what, I have my freedom, but I don't know what to do with it, before I followed my orders without question, now I order myself....but what do I tell myself to do, how do you know what you should do?"

JackieCat

"I know what to do because I have a soul.  Do you have a soul?  Well, that's a silly question, I think you do.  Anywho, you tell yourself to do what you think is right."

Meerior stood up. "I think I should go to that forest way over there." She pointed at the trees in the distance. "Because I am out of food, and I need to gather more there.  You don't need food.  You a a golem.  Do you ever eats?  That is, consume anythin'?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Argroww

"A....soul?" Ochritok's eyes changed to a pale blue, he had no idea his eyes were doing this, since his ability to see was not linked to their colour, but he pondered what Meerior had said.

"I do not think I do have a soul Meerior, I was built from this dark stone and then magically empowered so that the stone would flow or be solid according to the requirements that my master made of me, this did not change when I was given my freedom."

Did he have a soul? he wasn't sure.

"How would I know if I have a soul?"

But there was more.

"No, I do not eat, I have no stomach of that I am sure, see my mouth, there is no throat."  Ochritok opened his mouth as wide as his could....which due to the malleability of the magic that charged him was very wide indeed, his "mouth" having been merely a wide split that moved according to the words he spoke was possible to open enough so that his eyes were actually looking behind him with his open mouth being the "top" of his head.

JackieCat

Meerior clapped when he opened his mouth, it was impressive.

"How do I know you have a soul?" Meerior asked. "Because you can think for yourself, and because I can feel it, I think.  And because you have a personality, that is to say, you have a self, you are your own person.  Even if your maker did not give you a soul, you can still have one, if you choose to have one."

My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Argroww

"Then maybe my goal is to find my soul, I do not think I do have one, but perhaps it is a good thing to have."

Ochritok closed his mouth and look towards the forest.

"But you need to eat, so shall we go get you food, I can see much fruit and berries, there might also be animals in there?"

JackieCat

"Animals animals," Meerior said. "Yes yes yes, I think so, there would be lots and lots of animals in there.  I can just eat the berries, I don't need to eat any meat."

She smiled brightly at the golem. "And I think that getting a soul for you would be a good good idea!  Now.  The forest!"

She started walking towards the trees in the distance.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Parkway

Fivan woke up in the warmth of her bedroll.  She stretched her long frame reaching for the base of the tree.  Opening her eyes she looked around the forest.  It was a typical morning, beautiful!   She tossed the top coverlet of the bedroll aside but quickly pulled it back on.  Burr she thought.  I do so dislike getting out of a warm cocoon of sleep! She chuckled.

Gathering up her energy she once again tossed the coverlet aside and quickly pulled on her pants and boots.  She washed her face with the some water from her skin, collected her belongs on the floor next to her makeshift bed and checked her satchel to ensure nothing was missing.  Packing it all up she threw the satchel and roll over her shoulder with her bow and quiver proceed to look for breakfast.

It was quiet at this moment.  Just the chirping of the birds.  She walked into the soft morning breeze and inhaled the fresh scent.  Fivan heads northeast, that was the way to her instinct told her to go. 

The trip thus far had been uneventful.  Mostly wild animals more than bandits as she has stayed away from caves and rundown towers and main roads.  She had no time for that stuff.  When she needed to make coin there was always rabbit, elks, and all sorts of wildlife to trade skins, bones, and meat to the towns.  An occasional odd job tracking someone.  Mixing a potion when needed.  Yes she had gotten by for now.

She stops for a moment to check her map, La'marri was still far off.  The next town she stopped at she would need to do some trading.  She had spent a lot of coin at the last one so she may be pitching a campsite for a bit until she could restock her means.  She looked ahead and proceed into the forest.  Her stomach reminded her that she needed to eat!

Deciding she would need to do some hunting and consulting the map again it showed her that if she headed more easterly she would hit a town.  This would give her pliantly of time to hunt. Eat something and collect enough pelts to hopeful make some coin.

The sun was shining brightly today and it made for a pleasant journey. The birds could be heard chirping still, this made her think of home.   Shaking her head at the thoughts, now is neither the time nor place for those memories, she had ground to cover and without a mount she needed to make use of the daylight.

JackieCat

The forest wasn't very far off, and when Meerior got there she stopped under the cover of the branches.  The sunlight fell dappled through the tree leaves, and the sounds of animal and insect life made the forest come alive.  Meerior stood there for a moment, taking in the beauty of the forest.  And then she saw the elf.

"Ooh!!  Hello there!" she cried, waving. "Hello hi good day!  I just met me a golem named Ochritok!!!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor