Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Temple of the Ancients [Take 2] [SilverLuna]

Started by Ethereal-Star, November 26, 2015, 07:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

@SilverLuna

Under the sweltering sun of the desert, lay the remains of an old temple. Called the 'Temple of the Ancients' by many, both travelers and locals alike, it consisted of what was once a glorious temple to gods long forgotten to mankind and other races. Its crumbling walls and what was left of the ceiling once boasted magnificent architecture that held many ancient artifacts, various trinkets, and old tomes which detailed some of the past goings-on of the temple life and those who used to dwell there, some of these writings still somewhat legible to the eye. However, most of what could be found here has been since looted and pillaged from many a desert raider or other type willing to brave the treacherous heat and dangerous beasts that prowled the golden sands far and wide. That being said, there might still be some items of interest lying around buried beneath the sands of time, just waiting to be unearthed and put to good use again.

It was here in these remnants of the past, a figure in bright red could be seen, rainbow-colored hair trailing down her back as she bent over something half-buried in the sand. A slight mistiness and dampness surrounded this feminine figure, as though she were not human but something else. For indeed, rainbow spirits were not often seen around anymore, for reasons only known to them. These mysterious, colorful spirits, for those who had come into contact with one, were known for their love of beauty and hopeful attitude, always giving a smile to brighten one's day with more life. Their zest for exploration was also somewhat known as there was no limit to where a person could find one. They came and went at their leisure and were gone just as swift as they came.

Vivid green eyes looked at the warm tablet in her hands, caressing softly its smooth marble surface of whitish-blue. There were writings inscribed on one side, in an old language Violet did not recognize. Most of it was intact quite surprisingly, but she still couldn't tell what secrets it might hold. The tablet was a beautiful work of art to behold, and frankly the rainbow spirit was surprised it was still here. Flipping it over, she saw the back of it was blank, just uninterrupted smooth marble that she touched with her fingers. The artifact was approximately six inches in length and almost that wide at about five inches. Violet would see something of this nature go in the hands of someone willing to preserve its beauty and honor it for the treasure it was, and not simply greedy for coin and riches as most mortals were wont to do. Sometimes archaeologists came here to see what they could dig up and catalog, although Violet sadly had not seen any around lately. It would be a pity for this to end up as part of some thieves' stash of ill-gotten gains, their only interest in such a piece was how much it was worth and not giving a damn about its magnificence beyond what they could sell it for. She would not stop any who tried though. Violet was not a fighter and wished not to involve herself in petty mortal conflicts as that.

Sighing, she bent down to put the tablet back where it was carefully, minding its fragility and straightened back up, continuing to gaze around at everything. The heat didn't bother her because of what she is. Mortal ailments like heat stroke and colds didn't affect the immortals. It could be seen as a blessing for those who didn't have that kind of fortune, but for Violet she wouldn't know otherwise anyway.

Just then, a lone figure on the horizon could be seen faintly. As it came nearer, the form seemed to shift and sway as though it were some kind of mirage, but Violet figured that was just the effects of the heat waves present in the air. Pondering whether or not she should stay or go, she opted for the former and simply waited as the person drew nearer.

SilmeriaElemred

Kayden had walked through the desert for days. Normally avoiding traveling by day due to the heat but whatever place he was heading too, he knew it was close.

He took a swig of water and realised it were almost his last few sips. Being barefooted however, the sand did hurt his feet and his eyes were covered as usual by a blindfold. Not that he expected anyone to see him though but the force of habit was there.

Being in the desert though had his downside. There were no people and there was no solid ground. So navigating was a lot harder. At the least the ancient ruins still having their hum of magic, made it slightly easier.

It was not until his feet touched solid ground that he became aware of the rainbow spirit. ''Good day to you. Never expected your kin or anyone to be here.'' he spoke kindly. The shade was a welcome thing and Kayden wondered how much of a tan he had received in the past few days.

Ethereal-Star

As the person drew near the ruins, Violet found a huge smile forming on her pinkish features. After all, it wasn't every day one saw a god now was it? But then again, it wasn't every day one saw a rainbow spirit such as her either. Violet almost laughed at the thought, but kept it reigned in.

Examining the male before her, she noted his chestnut brown hair and the blindfold covering his eyes. His feet were bare and he wore a comfortable looking tunic and pants. Hardly evident of a god but Violet wasn't one to judge these things.

Greeting him, the colorful spirit spoke a warming welcome. "And greetings to you, exalted one. You look rather weary, if you don't mind me saying. We can sit in the shade if you'd like." Without waiting for an answer, Violet headed over to a stone block partially obscured by a crumbling wall and sat down, enthusiastically patting the seat next to her.

SilmeriaElemred

''Exalted one?'' Kayden asked with a chuckle. ''I'm hardly that. Just a human passing through.'' he spoke calmly. ''But yes. The shade sounds good.'' he joined Violet and sat down. ''It has been a while since I was last here. To bad it is but a shadow of what it once was. I am actually wondering if I should repair it.'' he pondered before looking at the rainbow spirit. ''My name is Kayden Galwyn. To whom do I have the honor?''

Ethereal-Star

"Oh?" Violet questioned, smiling. "My mistake then." Still smiling at him as though she knew something he did not.

Breaking her gaze, her eyes swept the ruins as though she hadn't been exploring them for the past few hours, a wistful look upon her misty features. "Yes, it tis' a grand place of wonder. Said to be the remnants of a huge temple from long ago, the memories of the gods which were worshiped here have all since faded away into the mists of time itself. Before my time even, as I am not that ancient." she laughed heartily.

"Most of what was once here has since been looted by desert raiders and the like, but I have been lucky enough to find a couple things of interest still laying about."

Glancing back at Kayden, she extended a hand in greeting. "Pleasure to meet you Kayden Galwyn, fellow wanderer of the lands. My name is Violet and I am a rainbow spirit as you already well know."

SilmeriaElemred

Kayden shook her hand and smiled. ''I'm a Seer I tend to know a lot of things wether I want to or not. Fortunatly though I can control it in some way. It would be unfortunate if nobody was able to surprise me.'' he said with a grin.

''But as old as this place is, I can not help but to feel some familiarity to it. And it is not because I have been here before when it was less... empty. I think though that the seal is still intact that grands acces to the lower rings. The temple was high but the sand and time seem to slowly devourer it. Quite unfortunate really. The first time I got here there were even still disciples walking around. Documenting everything. The second time everyone was gone but most artifacts that got left behind were still here. And now... it seems that is left is this. It happens to most places I assume. The city that once was near is gone too isnt it.''

Ethereal-Star

"A seer, huh?" Violet smiled again, ruby red lips curving up into a joyous expression. "I have met a handful of seers in my mere two centuries of life. Most of them were old and gray robed men though."

Violet then jumped up to show him the tablet she had recently found. "No signs of a city here anymore, sadly. But there is this miraculous beauty!" she exclaimed, proudly holding up the blueish-white marble artifact. "Though I cannot read the inscription on it. Perhaps you can though?" Her green eyes looking ever hopeful and excited.

SilmeriaElemred

''I could try. As for the city... say the word and I will dig it up. As for my age.'' he chuckled. ''I never looked older then this.''

He took the tablet in his hands and felt each inscription. ''Hmmm the language is familiar. I do not know if this temple was dedicated to a specific deity but the words... can be described a bit as a prophecy spoken by one deity. It says, stars are being born and they die again. It happens since the moment of creation. This year and the years after that stars will die. I can show the power I posess despite small. But when combined with that of the other it shall become a vast power instead. Only then we can protect our stars...''

Ethereal-Star

"Perhaps there is more where that came from." Violet remarked with a thoughtful look on her face. Immediately jumping up again to go show him the other artifact she had uncovered, soon bringing back a ceramic vase that was cracked at the top and missing a piece at the bottom of it. The vase itself was a mottled brown, with swirly lines of black and white decorating all around it complete with white dots and light green spirals. There was no writing on it though.

"This is the only other object I have found, but sadly it seems to contain no words of writing on it. But it is a beautiful artifact for certain. I'm pleasantly surprised it is even still here."

Running her hand over the place where a large chunk was missing, she clucked her tongue in curiosity. "I do wonder what has become of this part though." she said, pointing at the area she was referring to.

She glanced over at Kayden, a look of extreme interest on her rosy features. "It would be a great thing to see this city stand in its full glory once more. And you say you are just a simple traveling seer." Violet commented, her eyes sparkling with mirth. "Are you positive there isn't more to you?" she asked with a wink.

SilmeriaElemred

''If there was anything more to me I would not know. I washed up on a shore a very long time ago and had no idea who I was or where I came from. But I had very powerful magic and knowledge of which I had no idea how I had gotten it. There had been a storm several days prior though so it was thought I was a surviver of a sunken ship and the traumatic event caused amnesia by people who took me in after they had found me wandering about. I spent hundreds of years in a country far ahead regarding magic. To far ahead actually. They had magic that could slay dragons and tame them but they even could bind Gods. The latter was what made the country sink to the bottem of the ocean. I sealed it off though so nobody and nothing can enter. That magic should not be found or dug up but strangely enough I had not found anyone else. No corpses... just an empty sunken city.''

Kayden took the vase from violet and pondered. ''Well there is some writing for sure but not nessesarily words. It feels like sheet music. The way the dots are located combined with the way some spirals are... but alas. The end seems to be missing. And the particular instrument too. Unless it is burried in the sand. I think that is most likely though. Chuncks of vases and the like are not things looters tend to take.''