Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Master Plan, Meet the Canary Crew [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Lowen Thorn, April 06, 2018, 05:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MorningStar

He couldn't stand seeing her like this, so he made an attempt to return to the Dinny she knew best.

His eyes twinkled with mischief as he listened, maintaining his playful demeanor. "Ah, running's a great workout, but I'm with you on not turning it into a lifelong marathon. And yeah, dealing with prideful hitmen, a real pain in the ass, isn't it?"

He gave her hands a reassuring squeeze before adopting a more serious tone. "Listen, I may be full of bad jokes, but I'm dead serious about keeping you safe. We'll outsmart this guy, stay a step ahead, and give him a run for his money. No one messes with us, especially not some assassin with a pride problem."

His tone softened, genuine concern replacing the earlier playfulness. "I've got your back, always. We'll figure this out together, okay?"

DragonSong

Her lips twitched on one side in the barest ghost of a smile. She nuzzled into his shoulder a bit before pulling back with a small sigh.

"I know," she murmured. "I know you do. I know we will."

She looked out over the jungle sprawling away from their current hiding place and sighed quietly. "At least the chances of him finding us out here are slim to none."

MorningStar

She was right, and the two managed to stay alone, secluded, and safe for a considerable duration. Time passed, perhaps weeks or even a month, during which they skillfully sustained themselves in the wilderness. They cherished each other's company, exploring both the depths of their connection and their bodies. Dinny underwent physical training, growing stronger in the often challenging conditions, and they moved cautiously to elude those tracking them.

Though Dinny couldn't admit it to Rose, the isolation started to wear on him. He longed for his friends, missed his mother, and yearned for the simple pleasures like having a drink at the pub. Equally, he missed the camaraderie of executing cons with his crew. He looked forward to a day when he could openly share his life with Rose, proudly introducing her to his world.

Maintaining a positive outlook and a charming smile most of the time, Dinny couldn't shake the fear that subtle shifts in his demeanor might betray the slight lows he felt.

DragonSong

Rose was quite good at reading people--she had to be, considering what it was she did for a living--and that came even easier the better she knew someone.

She rather thought she knew Dinny quite well by this point, and she knew the constant hiding was taking its toll on him. Which was exactly what she'd expected, and been afraid of.

One morning, crouched beside a stream to fill their waterskins, she noted cautiously, "You know...we could probably risk heading into a village. Get a few supplies, maybe. It's been long enough, I can't imagine there'd be any agents waiting for us--if anyone ever bothered to come to the islands in the first place."

MorningStar

His eyes lit up at the prospect, despite his best efforts to mask his initial excitement.

In truth, Rose's kind offer to venture into town for supplies tugged as his conflicted heart. The isolation, of course, had worn on him, and the prospect of rejoining the world both sparked excitement and wariness. His love for Rose made the decision full of both concern and longing.

Then, a notion sparked—an amusing one, perhaps whimsical but undeniably an idea.

A playful glint sparked in Dinny's eyes as he considered her offer. "You know," he began, a mischievous smile playing on his lips, "I've always had a knack for creating disguises.  How about we turn this little outing into an undercover adventure? I'll craft us disguises so good, even the Gods won't recognize us."

The notion of playfully slipping into different roles felt like a breath of fresh air, a chance to navigate the town's streets with a touch of whimsy alongside his Rose. As he suggested their covert transformation, Dinny couldn't help but feel a surge of anticipation for the escape from the isolation that held them.

DragonSong

Rose snorted quietly and rolled her eyes, but she was smiling just a bit. "If you like," she mock-sighed. "Go on then."

She had no idea what his definition of "disguise" was, but considering how long they'd gone without a sign of being pursued, she figured it would be safe enough to brave a small town. As long as they didn't go into port, they should be fine.

MorningStar

Dinny scanned the dense wooded area surrounding their makeshift campsite on the secluded island, his mind racing for ideas on how to create unique yet effective disguises. The sound of waves lapping against the shore provided a subtle backdrop as he and Rose planned their clandestine return to town for supplies.

"All right," Dinny began, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "We need disguises that will make us blend in but also leave people scratching their heads. Let's make this memorable."

He delved into the thicket, searching for materials that would serve as the basis for their unconventional disguises. Dinny, with his keen eye for detail, spotted a cluster of large, vibrantly colored feathers scattered beneath a tree. A grin spread across his face as he picked them up.

"Feathers," he declared, holding them up triumphantly. "We're going to be the most inconspicuous birds in town."

He could only imagine the look on her face, but his enthusiasm kept him going. He gathered more feathers, fashioning them into elaborate headpieces and capes that mimicked the vibrant plumage of exotic birds. As the disguises took shape, he couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of them. This would be the perfect outfit for some lavish and unique masquerade.

"Now for the finishing touch," Dinny said, spotting a patch of wildflowers nearby. He plucked a few blossoms and skillfully weaved them into garlands to enhance their disguise. The vibrant colors and fragrant blooms added an extra layer of absurdity to their feathered ensembles.

"I think we're ready for our grand entrance," Dinny said with a wink. "Let's try these on."

At the end of his little spell, he provided her with a headpiece, a mask, and a makeshift dress that was likely shorter than she probably would have asked for.

I look damn good, he thought to himself as he slipped on his own costume, despite looking like a complete and utter fool.

DragonSong

Rose wasn't even sure how she'd let this happen, but it suddenly had built up too much steam for her to stop it. So she let him fuss and dither until their "disguises" were completed.

Once dressed, she looked herself over before looking back up at him slowly. "Dinny," she drawled, voice and expression flat, "in what way, exactly, is any of this inconspicuous?"

MorningStar

Dinny adorned a proud grin as he eyed his lover up and down. She looked amazing, and it made his tummy flutter (amongst other things) in all of the best ways possible. "Maybe not inconspicuous after all," he admitted cheekily, "but also - who's going to want to talk or study a bunch of crazies walking around town?"

He then scratched his head, trying to convey his peculiar logic to Rose. "Look, Rose, being inconspicuous is too conspicuous. If we go in there all stealthy and subtle, people will definitely notice. But if we march in, looking like a bunch of crazies, trust me, we'll blend right in! It's the perfect diversion, a subtle way of saying, 'Hey, we're just here for the party, nothing to see!'"

Dinny flashed a mischievous grin, despite the tugging in the back of his mind that this was not, in fact, a good idea.

DragonSong

The thing was...he was sort of right.

Sort of.

Rose sighed and shook her head at him, though her lips were quirked a bit on one side. "What you're talking about is called the bad hair principle," she informed him. "Spies and assassins use it all the time. The idea is, if you have an intentionally bad hairstyle, something eye-catching but not necessarily in a good way, people are going to be a lot more likely to remember the hair than the face under it."

She looked down at her herself, then back up at him wryly. "The thing is, you have to balance it. It's a careful, subtle thing."

MorningStar

Dinny scanned the elaborate costume laid out before him as it wrapped around her figure, his eyes lingering on Rose, which had a daring edge by design that stirred a subtle flutter in his chest.

Could he really not keep his thoughts clean for ten seconds?

Dinny then glanced down at his own elaborate costume, complete with eye-catching accessories, and met Rose's gaze with an exaggerated gasp. "You don't think this is subtle enough, my love? I thought I was practically invisible," he said, feigning hurt. "But if you insist, I'm willing to change it up some more. After all, subtlety is my middle name – well, maybe not, but it should be."

DragonSong

Another affectionate eye roll--and a quick look that conveyed she had caught exactly where and how long his eyes had lingered on her--and then Rose set about adjusting their "disguises".

The end result was still eye-catching, but nowhere near as much a spectacle as Dinny's originals. She still wasn't thrilled with the whole plan, but she was willing to take the small risk to keep him from going entirely stir crazy.

"There." She stepped back from adjusting his hair and looked him over, then nodded. "Good enough, I suppose."