Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Seeing in the Dark

Started by visualspice, January 30, 2014, 11:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

As the cave came to life within the orange, dancing glow of the torch light, Iyla stared at it in wonder. The cavern looked as if it were some massive, gaping jaw with all of the sharp rocks that jutted out from the top, bottom and sides. And though the thick webs would make most wary, she cared not for them as she reached for the sharp spear strapped to her back and used it to cut through one thick piece of webbing that stretched across their path.

"Be careful. There's probably a nest of spiders," she spoke just barely above a breath. Though she wasn't sure of the size of these spiders, she just hoped they could all be taken care of by a good stomping beneath her boot.

But the desire that flamed through her veins, the need for the shadow seed drew her forward- so forward she went, deeper into the unknown dark.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Alegretto

The dwarf watched with trepidation as the boy wandered deeper into the cave. Darjak wanted no part of this. Whatever was in here was too big for his tastes. If the boy wanted to go right into the thing's lair than that was his decision, but Darjak did not want to die today.

He turned around, intending to climb back up, but what he saw made his heart sink. The hole he had made was several feet from any wall and there was little chance of him being able to climb up there. He seriously considered trying to blow down a part of the wall and make some sort of staircase, but he quickly realized that such an action was both unfeasible and likely to bring this cave down on top of the pair.

He turned again and saw that the black-clad fellow had gone further into the cavern, almost out of range of the torch. The dwarf hurried to catch up with the man whispering as loudly as he could, "Wait for me laddie."

visualspice

Iyla only paused momentarily in her stride to let the shorter legged companion catch up to her, but her eyes were hardly focused on him as they peered cautiously through the dark. Though once he was closer to her side, she moved much quicker- but not without hesitation as her eyes took in the twisting arches of the hanging spider webs that clung to the wall in great numbers. Though curiously enough, black crystals seemed to shimmer from behind them- and at first, she thought the shimmering black was in fact, some sort of glittering rock, but when the dwarf's torched past near to some of it, she made a face and realized-t ehy were indeed, small clusters of spiders hanging out upon the wall.

The image was enough to make her stumble into one of the thick, hanging patches of web and with a groan she tried to tug her arm loose, but the damn sticky web was tough.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Alegretto

Darjak followed the boy through the cavern, starting nervously at every small sound. He wasn't afraid of spiders, he just didn't like having them close to him...

It got even harder to control himself when he noticed the sheer number of spiders clinging to the cave's walls. That particular horror drew his attention so that he didn't notice when the other man stopped in front of him. He let out a very embarrassing squeal of surprise when he bumped into the black-clad fellow with more than a bit of force. He tried to catch the boy's arm, hoping that he didn't hit him with enough momentum to push him into one of those nasty webs...

((OOC: I can edit this if you think she dodged or something))

visualspice

Ironically enough, Iyla had just cut herself free of one sticky web to find herself suddenly pushed into another. Growling between her teeth, she gave another yank at the webbing, but this time it was stuck to her good. But she didn't ask for help, and just tried to awkwardly saw herself loose using the sharp end of her spear.

Damn clumsy dwarf.

Alegretto

Darjak cringed at his failure stop the other man's fall. He pulled his belt knife out of his bandolier with his free hand and started hacking at the web along with the boy. The dwarf mumbled an apology,"Sorry bout that but you gotta tell me when ya stop or we'll keep trippin all o'er each other."

The two kept cutting and hacking until the black-clad figure was free from the main part of the web, though large tatters of the stuff still stuck to his leather armor. Both of them were blissfully unaware of what their strenuous activity was alerting. Deep within the cavern, something truly massive began to stir.

((OOC: Or several things that are truly massive, whatever you want))

visualspice

OOC: ANd hte plot thickens 8D
--------

Once free, Iyla gave the dwarf a sharp glare and a rough, "Thanks." But she brushed passed him so that her shoulder shoved him aside. She had little patience for this, and brushed away what cobwebs she could as she walked.

The stone was here- she could feel it- somewhere out int he endless dark path before them- and she had to wonder how deep this rabbit hole went. Sticking close to Darjak, she gestured forward to where the path began to grow more shallow.
"After you." He could lead the way- he had the light. Though he was much shorter, Iyla followed behind and had to hunch over- and it was awkward and it sort of hurt to find herself in such a position-
But she'd do anything to retrieve that stone. Anything.

Alegretto

Darjak followed the fussy fellow. Really he was ill-natured. It had just been a little accident!

The pair kept walking for what seemed like quite a while. The dwarf frowned when the tunnel began to narrow. Eventually it also started getting lower and lower. Finally the black-clad figure in front of him crammed himself against the wall and gestured for him to pass. It made sense, Darjak was shorter and carrying the torch. Didn't mean he had to like it. What if there was something bad further in. If they were too cramped than the black-clad fellow wouldn't be able to back-up fast enough for him to escape!

Then Darjak sniffed something that made him throw all caution to the wind. He knew it as Drakinblas, though humans called it by a different name. Sulfur. Smelled strong too. Thanatos might not be a wasted trip after all. The dwarf began accelerating his pace in his excitement, never considering that the taller man behind him might have trouble keeping up.

visualspice

Seeing the dwarf suddenly take off, Iyla gasped and jerked her head- and ended up smacking her head off the top of the low-ceilinged cave.
"Hey!"s he barked gruffly. "Where are you going?"

Alegretto

Darjak heard the other man's words behind him an realized that the taller fellow would probably have trouble keeping up in the narrow cavern. He looked over his shoulder to give the man a reply. "I smell sulfur up ahead, and it smells like the good stuff. I guess I got a little overexcited. Still, how dangerous could it be?"

So saying, the dwarf started moving down the passage again. He soon came to a corner, nd immediately around it was a small hole that seemed to open into a big cavern. He yelled back around the corner at his companion. "There's a big ol' open cavern up ahead. I'm gonna go check it out."

The small hole was a tight fit or the broad dwarf, but he squeezed through into the open space. The cavern, previously unlit, became illuminated as the dwarf pulled his torch in behind him. The contents of the cavern made him stop cold. A huge cocoon-like web hung suspended in the middle I the cavern by more of the massive spiderwebs. Darjak didn't know a lot about spiders, but he recognized an egg-sac when he saw one.

visualspice

"Wait!" Hissed Iyla- but it was too late- he was already off and ahead of her- and wiht the light. But the second she was in shadow, she feared the cold and darkness only briefly before remembering-
She wasn't human.

Cursing beneath her breath,s he dind't want to attempt to squeeze into that opening, so instead, she slipped into the darkness and appeared just at his side-
Only to find herself peering around at a massive cavern- haphazardly decorated with spider webs and egg sacks. She made a face, gritting her teeth as she took a few hesitant steps forward.

"A spider's nest..."
But what sized spider could have made that? She didn't want t know, but the pull of the stone was so strong in this room it was making her dizzy. ANd frantically, her eyes began to search the room.

"Come on.. Where is it?" she muttered as she began to pace along as quietly and quickly as she could. But no matter where she looked, it was hard to tell just where the sensation was coming from. She just knew it was close. BUT WHERE!?

Alegretto

Upon seeing the spider's nest, Darjak took an immediate step back. Even the smell of sulfur, so close, could not propel the dwarf past that monstrosity. He was seriously considering going back when he remembered that there was no escape, and the black-clad fellow was probably blocking the way anyhow. Where was that guy anyway?

The dwarf turned around to face the hole, but he wasn't there. He heard muttering and wheeled to spot the boy already pretty far into the cavern. Now how had he pulled that off? The dwarf scratched his head with the back of his bangstick.

The egg-sac had pulled his attention, so now he turned to look at the rest of his surroundings. He walked over to the walls and started looking for other holes or ways out. He hadn't gone far along the stone wall before he came up to what appeared to be a glossy black pillar, thicker around than one of his legs and extending all the way up to the ceiling. He held the torch up higher to see where it ended but the ceiling remained obscured in blackness. But eyeing the distance, the dwarf saw that the shadows up there were closer than the ones in front of him. Which was impossible, the torch projected a sphere of light. That's what it did. And then the dwarf realized that the ceiling was the same glossy black color of the pillar. And then the pillar moved. This time Darjak screamed in earnest.

((OOC: Too big? :P   But seriously though, I can change it if it's too ridiculously big for your taste.))

visualspice

The hiss of Abaratu the Spider was enough of a force to cut into her ears like a knife- and the very sight of her sent a chill to her bones. She had been so focused on what she wanted, what she desired that she did not stop to consider what sort of dangers might be lurking just around the corner...

But why worry about such dangers unless they ever showed face? Well this one was right in front of her and as her eyes followed the long, spindly pillar like legs through the darkness, the massive fangs, glinting with poison, struck out through the shadows and slammed into the ground- mere feet from where Iyla had been but moments ago.

Thankfully, her wit had returned just in time for her to jump out of the way and with an exclamation she turned tail and shouted "RUN!"

Alegretto

Darjak jumped out of the way of one huge limb. The massive spider's legs were suddenly in motion and they looked sharp enough to pierce him. Not to mention that these weren't even the bussiness end. The front seemed to be focusing on the man in black. The way to the hole they came through looked clear but the dwarf get bad about abandoning him.

However the fellow shouted at him to run, and Darjak didn't have to be told twice. He started sprinting towards the hole in the cave wall.

visualspice

Abaratu struck again, and again and again as it's fangs kept finding dirt while Iyla continued to fumbled and spin miraculously out of the way. Though it was a dangerous game they played, and one strike got too close for comfort as a gush of poison wet her skin.

Gritting her teeth, she rolled away, finding herself nearer towards the exit now where Darjak was running- and it was this movement that caught Abaratu's attention as she  shot out a thick line of sticky web- hoping to catch the dwarf in it's near impenetrable stickiness.

Alegretto

Darjak was running when he felt something hit his back. He shouted in surprise and pain at the blow while he tumbled forward under the impact. However he was yanked back before he face-planted. The dwarf was quickly was pulled into an odd posture with his legs out in front of him at an angle, dragging across the ground. It was almost as if someone was pulling him back by the collar of his shirt.

He craned his neck to look behind him. Much to his horror, a massive strand of sticky web now connected him and the huge spider, and the creature was drawing him in closer. Darjak screamed again, though this time rage commingled with the fear. This thing was not going to eat him!

The impact from the web hitting him had caused him to drop the torch, and he grabbed a blast egg with his newly-freed hand. He used his flints to light it, counted to two, and then shouted, "Fire in the hole!" before chucking the explosive behind him at the monstrous spider. Time to see how it liked a face-full of fire and clay shrapnel.

visualspice

While the spider was distracted with Darjak, Iyla managed to scramble to the side to reassess their situation. They were in a cavern- presumably now stuck since the damn spider seemed to be as quick at moving as they were- and it was huge- consuming a lot of the area inside the cave and there were sacks of eggs and goo everywhere.

But something stood out among the rest, the sensation- that of which pulled her through the darkest of hours and it was then she began to realize what was to happen-

Abaratu possessed the shadow seed- and she had to go through this godzilla spider to get it. Blindly, she moved towards it, barely catching the warning cry from Darjak. But just as the explosive went off, she managed to turn herself away to avoid any damage from the thing- but the spider was not to lucky as it let out a shrill cry and with drew back a few feet from the blast.

Coughing through the smoke, Iyla found herself unable to breath as she yanked the clothe around her mouth away for a brief moment to catch her breath. Then she glared over at the dwarf.
"What are you mad!? Using an explosive in here!?
Did he want to get them all killed!? What if it had struck something loose and the cave collapsed? Heavens knew she didn't want to die here!

Alegretto

The explosive severed the thread on the spider's end, and stunned the creature as well. This caused the force pulling Darjak backwards to cease. He fell hard on his bum for the second time today, and he was not happy about it. The dwarf was even less excited when the boy yelled at him for using the blast egg.

"Well what was I supposed to do, let that blasted spider eat me?"

Speaking of the monster eating him, Darjak didn't know how long the explosive would stun the thing, and he still had a weighty length of thread hanging off his back. He pulled out his belt knife and started sawing at the material. It was slow going because of how hard it was to see in the dark and because the spider silk was incredibly sticky. Even as he worked he pulled out and egg and readied it for use. The spider would act again soon and he needed to be ready.

visualspice

Seeing the dwarf taking his sweet old time at cutting the webbing, Iyla angrily yanked off her spear from her back side and commanded, "Move your arm aside!" Before she let out a cry and gave an angered swing, and then a few more before the webbing was finally cut in half and the dwarf, free.

Alegretto

Darjak looked up at the boy with thanks in his eyes. He was going to speak his gratitude as well when a piercing cry echoed through the cavern. The spider had returned from its daze and was angrier than ever. Time to go.
Without a second of hesitation the dwarf ran for the exit, yelling "Come on!" as he went. The hole in the wall was close now, and he could clearly picture himself sliding through it to safety with the fellow in black coming in behind him. He was almost there, so close, when and he turned around to make sure that the other man was right behind him. Darjak didn't know why he bothered to check, it's not like the other man wouldn't be following him, right?

Tags: