Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Hunt a Demon (ValamLym, Armorend)

Started by λ, September 27, 2016, 09:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

λ

@Armorend @ValamLym

As the wooden cart jolted over a bump, Aisha slumped further down the side of its wall. Digging her heels quickly into the floorboards, she steadied herself. She frowned slightly, stuck in that position, and sighed.
She regretted hitching a ride on this cart. A wheel had already fallen off during the journey, the horses seemed to be sick, and the driver was rather unfriendly.
At least he isn't trying to kill you though, Aisha...

She had been here for what... how long? Staring off at the clouds passing by leisurely in the distance, Aisha yawned.
She was always reminded of Adela when she looked into the sky. Aisha pulled her knees closer to herself.

After a while, stretching her arms out, she finally sat back up properly. It must've been 5 hours by now, and they still weren't even half way to the next town. She took a deep breath, and finally turned to her companion who hadn't said a word the entire time.

"So... Aelynn."
She looked at the robed man- no, robed... entity. She still wasn't used to its presence yet, even though they had already been traveling together for 3 days.
"Ehm..."
Aisha used to pride herself in being able to strike a conversation with just about anyone, but... Aelynn had proved to be difficult. After all, how could she talk normally with an entity she couldn't even understand? However, it wasn't often that Aisha could talk to people in general, and she wasn't planning on letting this chance pass.

"Once we track down the demons, will you still be observing? They can't hurt you, can they?"

Armorend

(Minor note: Despite not having sex/gender I'm using male pronouns for easier readability.)

Aelynn had been fixated on the side of the cart himself, standing patiently, the jolting of the cart not affecting his stance or ability to remain upright in the slightest compared to Aisha, the one he had decided to come along with after detecting Fell's magic on her. Aelynn had never explicitly sought out any person before; there was no need to. Yet the appearance of such a rare form of magic, distinct from any of the others he could detect emanating from individuals, provoked Aelynn to not only leave his shop, but follow her a short distance before approaching directly to inquire about her situation.

After Aisha had asked her question, Aelynn gazed at her directly, glowing purple spheres acting as eyes within his "face", then spoke, his voice calm and possessing a slight, unpronounced reverb.

"I will still observe. Please accept my gratitude for being able to accompany you." This was accompanied by a slight bow, a friendly sign of reverence acquired from several of those who had accepted its services. "Weapons, like the kinds humans have drawn against me out of rage, pierce my cloak but not me; one elf who decided to show overt aggression and attempt to incinerate me simply destroyed the garment. Yet... I do not know whether those of demonic origin would be able to harm me with arms or magic."

That was the truth; Aelynn had never had to fight before. He had made the consideration that perhaps fighting would be a necessity, but he had no intent to get in the way of the far more capable fighter who also had a reason to do the fighting in the first place.

ValamLym

Nymiria had spend most of her time within hell contemplating what to do next. The sinners had been relatively obedient and those that did escape were already being hunted by others of her kind. She found herself simply observing the many types of blood sport that were famous throughout hell, watching imp's fight each other to the death and betting on which one would win being the most prominent one. She didn't really bother that much with that, seeing no real point in the death of an imp, however useless they may be alone.

her boredom was soon broken however, as one of the runes on her hands began glowing, her hounds - that had been lying around her in a heap of dog- sprung up, knowing full well what that meant, she twirled her hand in front of her, green fire tearing a hole in reality for her to pass through. When she stepped out on the other side she noted the familiar lush green fauna and immediately  realized she was in Connloath now, her hounds taking on the form of three well build Rottweilers.

From where she stood she could sense the renegades herself, they weren't all that far. But her senses also alerted her to other company, heading straight this way. It seemed a normal merchant cart, but she couldn't be sure. As such, she decided she would wait and observe near the location of the renegades. Using her infernal magic, she warped herself forward, across the road and several steps beyond. Walking from that point on, the car was sufficiently far away to allow her to be close to the renegades before the cart was. Her hounds loyally followed her, their keen eyes and nose tracking every creature in the surrounding area, but most importantly the renegades position.

When she arrived sufficiently close to the renegade demons without risking detection, she simply stepped up to the road. Figuring she'd wait for the cart to pass by just to be sure. She didn't really need wannabe heroes to throw off her attack, or get in her way at all. Her hounds lied down beside her, one on each side and another in front of her feet. Her eyes remained fixated on the direction from which the cart should arrive, an emotionless gaze on her face.

λ

"I see... heh, it must be hard having to replace your robe every time someone attacks you, I know the feeling."
Just recently, a bounty hunter had shot a few rounds of crossbow bolts into her. It had left five puncture holes in her shirt, forcing her to spend a whole day stitching it back up. Even now, there were still frayed edges all over her clothes.

"Well either way, be careful. I don't know if my healing will affect you."

She leaned back against the cart and yawned again, pulling the rim of her hood down to cover her eyes.

-----

Aisha grabbed the side of the cart, forcefully catching herself. The cart had suddenly come to a complete halt. Was I sleeping..? Still groggy from being forcefully awakened, she stood up.

She squinted her eyes slightly, trying to discern a town. However, all that she could make out was a woman with ornate armor, standing to the side of the road. Three dogs seemed to be accompanying her.
Aisha felt a hint of danger emanating from the woman. She placed a hand on the hilt of her sword.
A hunter...?

Armorend

Aelynn remained standing even when the cart jerked and Aisha awoke, but aimed a question at the now-upright woman. "... That wouldn't happen to be the demon you're after, is it?" He was looking toward the "woman" as well, his voice relatively-quiet so as not to disturb anything; he could at least comprehend the subtleties of dealing in serious matters like the current one. Either way, he saw the demonic energies radiating from this apparent human, and focusing further he could detect the demonic form underneath, wings and horns standing out and readily-apparent.

"Perhaps readying your blade is a poor idea... She may sense your own magic and feel you are prepared to attack her first?" Aelynn was concerned his advice may not be relevant for a fighter like Aisha, but at the same time, the intent of this other person was entirely unknown such that a rash move could result in fighting regardless. He continued to watch the demon, his vision locked on her, wondering what she would do now.

ValamLym

Nymiria seemed to almost work in slow motion for a second, her eyes remaining fixated on the cart before even fully acknowledging its presence. When she did she simply stepped up to it, looking at the one holding the reins of the horses before turning her green gaze to the woman and the being that seemed to emanate vast amount of magic. She simply nudged her head, taking her sweet time. Her movement almost un-natural. She had figured she had been found out, then again, who could anticipate such a strange creature to ride a carriage, she then eyed the woman with him, the fell taint lingering upon her causing her to smirk for the briefest of seconds.

''What an odd bunch.''

She simply stated, eyeing at the carts rider and its companions. ''This is no place for you.'' she simply stated, constantly shifting her gaze from one of them to next, no sign of any kind of emotion in her expression ''Continue down the road and do not return.'' she stated, before simply turning and walking toward where the demons were, her hounds in tow. She didn't seem concerned at all by the folks behind her, all she wanted was to keep them out of trouble and out of her way, she turned for a moment ''That little toothpick wont do you good here.'' she stated while looking at the woman, the tone of her voice bordering on a taunt,  before simply resuming her path.

λ

OOC: Aisha refers to demons generally as 'it' or 'them'

She stared at the woman, walking away. So that's a real demon...?
She immediately became serious.

Aisha had killed her fair share by now, but they had all looked..., well, more or less demonic. This person looked almost human. She paused for a moment.
Does that constitute it as a powerful demon? Aisha had also felt the aura it gave off when it walked by them...
And the hounds. If they followed a demon, they couldn't be ordinary either.

Four against tw... no, one. Enemy strength isn't confirmed, but it's probable that it's a greater demon of some sort.
Aisha wanted to test her abilities against it, but even with extreme regeneration, dealing with attacks from all four sides would be near impossible.

She looked over to Aelynn.

Armorend

Aelynn listened carefully to the demon's unkind message before looking at Aisha. "Do you wish to pursue her? She certainly seems powerful enough... Her words appeared unfriendly, but yet she walked away from us. She could have her own reason for being out here? If you are threatened and in need of assistance, I will provide recourse; although you do appear more than capable on your own." He continued to look at her before looking at the end of the cart.

ValamLym

Nymiria simply continued her path down toward the demons. Not really paying the two she left behind her much mind. She eventually came up on a small camp they had previously made, noting several symbols and pentagrams carved into the ground, both glowing a dim orange. ''Luckily their call was rejected.'' she simply muttered, with an extended hand she commanded her hounds to search, who in turn turned into their true selves and took on the appearance of horse sized, green flaming hounds, leaving a trail of green infernal fire wherever they went.

She knelt down beside one of the pentagrams, carefully breaking it so that it could not be used anymore. This type of magic did not belong in mortal hands, not now and not ever. What a drag... she thought, before thinking back on the folks back on the cart. ''What could they possibly want by hunting demons...'' she thought, she didn't quite understand why anyone would become a demon hunter for money, there was easier prey to hunt and it probably earned you a lot more money as well. She simply shrugged, figuring that was not her problem and simply resumed her inspection of the camp. When she was done, she simply flicked her finger, igniting the two tents in fell flames, to destroy any sign of demonic presence here. After all, infernal flames never did leave a trace, not even a magical one.

λ

Aisha had decided to follow it from a comfortable distance. If Aelynn's analysis on the situation was correct, Aisha thought the demon probably wouldn't attack them immediately.

As she passed through the forest, the trees warped, twisting themselves out to her, and the underbrush intertwined her legs. Cutting the plants down mercilessly without paying any heed to them, she continued until she reached a small clearing. The thing had stopped in the middle of it.

She paused when the dogs transformed into hellhounds. She hadn't encountered any before, but had heard stories of them. How they were servants to beings of immense strength, and how one alone could level a small village.
It seemed her prey really was some kind of big-shot. When the tents erupted into pure flame, it only helped solidify her assumption.

Aisha hesitated.
Would I really stand a chance? She rarely doubted her own ability, but this time, it seemed retreat might be the best option. The hellhounds could be dealt with somehow, however, with the master of the three here... She grit her teeth, but turned away.

As if on cue, Aisha heard a low growl, sending light chills down her spine. Breaking through the trees, one of the hellhounds lept at her.

Armorend

Aelynn followed behind Aisha, noiselessly keeping up with her. Aisha made the decision to go after the demon, for whatever reason. He saw no reason to be on guard, but he was looking around the forest, very faintly detecting a demonic presence in the area, as it grew stronger. She seemed to know where she was going, and so he felt little need to speak up.

He found his way through the foliage with little issue, nearly all of it being torn apart by Aisha, or being easy enough to navigate for the arcane entity. The demonic presence once-again grew stronger, and Aelynn knew it was nearby. He wondered whether the killing of such a powerful creature was necessary, and whether it had lived its own life. He had come to understand some of the basic morals of mortals through the time he spent with them, but even barbarians and greedy, power-hungry figures that he had heard rumors of seemed to pale in comparison to the atrocious things demons could do.

In that regard, if demons truly did such detestable acts with no good cause, was it really a negative thing for them to be killed if they decided to fall out of line?

Aelynn's thoughts, however, were interrupted when the dogs transformed. He eyed their true forms, hulking beasts that were a far cry from the idle dog or two villagers had kept. The ability to sense different magics flared as the tents burst into flames. Then, shortly after, one of the unholy creatures pounced at Aisha.

Aelynn didn't panic, but he was unsure of what to do within the moment; if nothing else, the dog seemed to have the advantage. However, sitting idly by and letting Aisha become wounded (or worse) when she hadn't even attempted to accomplish her goal seemed rather unscrupulous. Which is why, already being close to her, he rushed in front of her, stopping the advance of the creature in its path as it collided with him.

ValamLym

Nymiria let a low growl pass her lips as her hound revealed what it had found through their link. They had followed her ''this is getting tedious.'' she turned on her heels, the two other hounds rushing to support the one that had already pounced at the woman. They didn't take immediate action, as they were well trained and extremely loyal to Nymiria. They would do nothing extreme unless attacked or otherwise provoked.

When she arrived she stared the woman and entity down. Her expression neutral but annoyance clear through her mannerism as she crossed her arms. She seemed to wait for a moment, as if hoping that they'd explain themselves. When they didn't she parted her lips ''Either you leave or I help you leave.'' she nudged her head to the side, looking at the entity and then the woman.

''We can do this the easy, or the hard way.'' she took infernus from her hip, a long green flame forming into a whip as it unraveled. Clearly more then willing to resort to violence. Such was the demon way after all, the weak followed the strong and if they got ideas they were utterly destroyed.

λ

Ah, damn
If they attacked first, Aisha figured there was nothing she could do. It wasn't like she could leave Aelynn alone after all... And she couldn't imagine a demon just letting them off either, regardless of what it might have said.

Breaking eye contact with the demon, she whirled to the hellhound on top of Aelynn. The butt of her blade locked onto the beast's head, gaining speed from her momentum. Crashing into the side of its skull, she hit it into the ground.
Without waiting to even confirm if it was effective, she braced herself for retaliation.

Armorend

Well... It worked, at least.

That's what Aelynn had quickly, briefly mused, as the creature rested atop his head, before it was subsequently smashed to the ground by Aisha. Aelynn turned to look at it, seeing it was now to the left of the demon and her other hounds, albeit much closer. It looked vicious, to say the least.

"Aisha, I assume you remain uninjured?" Aelynn turned to his companion, who had finally drawn her sword. "It seems it at least gave you an attempt to get ready. Either way, what do you want me to do? If you do not wish to have me interfere, I can step back..." He had no reason to believe Aisha was unprepared, but at the same time, it couldn't hurt to ask in a time like this.

ValamLym

The hound roared as it was cast upon the ground, rolling onto its back before quickly recovering, its fire trial tracing toward Nymiria. Whom was nothing short of angry. She didn't appreciate anyone attacking her hounds, in-fact, she had just the place to put those kind of mortals. With a flick of a finger a snake like tail emerged from her back, it lifted itself into the air, resting its head on her palm ''Looks like we'll be eating mortal again today...'' she spoke before turning her gaze back to Aisha.

''I will direct this.. personally.'' she stated, ordering her three hounds to back off. She snickered, sealing infernus and strapping it to her side. ''I won't need a weapon to deal with you.'' she then promptly charged, attempting to grasp the woman's blade, if successful she'd disarm her, throwing it aside. Meanwhile her snake like tail would attempt to coil around her leg, trying to pull her in. An attack from two sides, that's what Aisha currently faced. ''Lets hope you're smarter when it comes to combat then you are at analyzing the foe you face, human. Your life hinges on it.''

λ

Aisha grabbed her sword with both hands, gripping the hilt tightly with two of her fingers. "Yeah, I'm fine. Thank you for covering for me. If we can find a chance to back off a bit..."
She bit her lip. Being surrounded by enemies wasn't exactly something she was comfortable with.
However, the demon soon called them off. It stepped forward, growing a massive serpent as a tail.

Aisha muttered under her breath. "Definitely looks demonic now..."
She called out to Aelynn without taking her eyes off the demon. "Let me handle this."

As it charged her, Aisha ducked beneath the demon's hands, passing by it while slicing apart the serpent. Or so she thought.
..?? Her sword simply skidded on the serpent's grey scales, leaving not even the slightest hint of a scratch.
...Well, this is going to be fun.
Aisha pulled her hood off, and held her longsword in front of her with one hand while she drew a dagger with the other.

Armorend

Aelynn moved away from Aisha, moving closer to the obviously-demonic figure. He tilted his head slightly, although the hood he was wearing mostly obscured his face. His hands were also hidden within the sleeves.

"Why do you insist on terrorizing and assaulting innocent mortals? Do you not have your own rules that you live by? All you're doing is encouraging them to rally against you and bring you down... My companion here would have no reason to target you if you actively stayed within the boundaries set by your land."

ValamLym

Nymiria simply snickered at the attack on her tail, as it simply coiled, the blade meeting its scales to no avail. She then turned her attention back to the woman, the tail simply lifting itself up beside her. She didn't retaliate immediately however, simply tucking her hands behind her back, listening to the anomaly's banter.

''Confidence born of ignorance. You know nothing of hell or of its tenants.'' she turned her gaze to face the girl ''My duties are my own, my master's care little for your existence. I exist to hunt down those who would betray hell, in return, if a mortal like yourself gets in my way.. I'm free to devour your pathetic existence.'' she then looked over her shoulder, toward her hounds. ''Attacking them is considered an attack on me.'' she then mockingly smiled at the woman ''If your kind can rise up against mine, you'll be disappointed, I will show you.''

She gently took infernus from her hip, forming it into two shorts words. ''Your blades cannot pierce my skin, what hope do you have?'' she didn't immediately attack however, instead, gesturing with her hand for the woman to attack her instead. ''Show me that supposed defiance, or was that all talk?''

It was a little too typical maybe. A demon playing a mind game, but it had proven effective time and time again, taunt your foe into making a mistake. Force them to attack because of their pride. To her, all that was child's play. However, a mild tone of curiosity was layered into her actions; what would she do? continue to fight? or despair?

λ

"I honestly couldn't care less about what you want to say, demon. But really, drawing your weapon mere seconds after saying I wasn't worthy..." She sighed. "If you didn't want me bothering you, you shouldn't have shown yourself so flashily."

She looked at Aelynn. "Sorry, it seems I dragged you into something troublesome."
Aisha turned back to her enemy that was standing patiently.

She bent her knees slightly, her soles digging into the dirt. In the next instant, she was flying towards the demon. "Your heart better work."

Armorend

Aelynn returned Aisha's glance. "It is truly alright. This was within the expected outcomes that could occur..."

He turned back to the demon. "If you exist to hunt down demons, should you not be doing that now and fulfill the purpose you claim to have?" Aelynn spoke calmly, addressing the demon without arrogance. "Surely you have little reason to leave your home unless you're dealing with those unholy renegades?" He continued even as Aisha leaped into action against her.

"It may be prudent to cease fighting now... Unless..." Aelynn pondered for a second. "If you are a keeper of those who have strayed from the realm they are meant to be part of, would you know about strong individuals like yourself from this... Hell, who have as you say 'betrayed' you?"