Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Volatile Contingency

Started by AevumEternity, November 14, 2016, 08:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

[Open]

Lady Hakon Kilandre frowned deeply, her grey eyes flickering across the peaceful meadow. Beneath her, the massive white warhorse shifted its weight, causing its rider to place a calming hand upon its thick neck- murmuring tranquil words.

The reassuring weight of his shield slung across his back, accompanied by that of his sword seemed enough to calm her as well- Flicking a platinum lock from her eyes, she pursed her lips, urging the massive horse forward. The meadow felt almost too pure, the thought making a rough chuckle bubble from the young woman's lips... Is this what being a Mordecai had reduced her to? Finding forbidden magic in every little thing, especially those wholly untainted or wholly corrupted? Magic did not need to twist everything that was one extreme or the other, she had to remind herself of that fact constantly. Alas- the heavy thud of the war horse's hooves into the soft earth- the bright green that almost burned her eyes, it all seemed too much. Perhaps she had been in the dark chambers for far too long- hunched over scrolls, squinting against candle light in its dying form.

Exhaling, she shifted in her saddle, the heavy leather armor upon her form creaking faintly- its heaviness rather welcome. It was lighter then her heavy armor, the thick plates that covered her and her horse until they were juggernauts of steel and death. Exhaling again, Lady Hakon smiled faintly, pausing the massive warhorse just before a clear stream, loosening the reigns to allow it to slate its thirst.
Once more she looked up, scanning the beautiful meadow- watching a pair of white butterflies play above the long grass... Peace... Had it grown so alien to her? A Mordecai, a Knight of the White Lily, a noblewoman- sometimes... Sometimes she simply rode away from all that until she was alone- like this. Sliding of the large horse, the pride and joy of her family's generation of raising such beasts, she rested a hand against its large shoulder- the beast standing nearly a foot and a half taller then her.

Her eyes focus upon the clear water, taking a steadying breath- today was not one of the days she could lose herself in the dance of a blade or flight of a steed. No- today was a day when she would fully feel the weight of her duties. Ah how... Crushing it was.

Morgan Droud

Grumbling to himself, Esderand trekked across the meadow that the Tower had manifested upon. The location was nice, but the circumstances that immediately followed were far less. After the Tower rematerialized, one of the sentinels noticed someone in the vicinity, followed immediately after by their wards collapsing.

The wards in question had been placed by a sorcerer of old, unnaturally resilient things that had held off a large flock of dragons at some point in the past, and their destruction was worrisome. It wouldn't be impossible to recreate the ward (the necessary notes to rebuild it were buried somewhere in the library), but as far as Esderand knew, there were only two things in the world capable of it's destruction, neither of which he ever wanted to meet.

But he needed to ensure the safety of the Tower, thus was now outside, making his way toward the entity in question. As he neared the point where the wards had been previously, the cause finally came into view, and he breathed a sigh of relief. A Mordecai was nowhere near as frightening as a rampaging creature of antimagic, and much less likely to be a threat to the continued existence of the Tower.

AevumEternity

Though lost in the tidal wave of responsibility that seemed to crash over her, the ripple in the air that caused the down upon the back of her neck to stand at attention was enough to draw her attention. Not to mention the sudden appearance of a white tower from literally thin air. It hadn't made a sound, which caused her skin to prickle further with unease. Immediately straightening, she seized the horse's reigns- vaulting atop the creature with surprising nimbleness- the swift motion launching her a bit far over the saddle- forcing the woman to adjust with a quick curse.

Only when she was settled, shield bound to her forearm securely, did she notice the young man observing her. Lady Hakon's lips curled into a thin frown, guiding the massive beast with her knees to turn toward him whilst drawing the curved blade at her hip- pointing it toward the man as the warhorse's flanks began to heave with excitement- bloodthirsty steed...

" Identify yourself!" She called out harshly, though her voice held and oddly hypnotic lilt that was oddly pleasant. She was not yet close enough to notice the slight point of his ears, but if this man had appeared with this mysterious ivory tower, it was highly doubtful his presence was a coincidence. Woe is the noble who cannot find a moment of peace~

Morgan Droud

Damn

Cursing in his head, Esderand took a step back. Fighting a normal Mordecai was a bad idea, but only a variant would be capable of breaking the barrier, and fighting one of them was a deathwish. All the artifacts stored in the Tower would be meaningless, and he was useless in physical combat.

Catching himself, he bowed to the woman.

"Esderand Arthenial, Scholar. As for you?"

The woman could easily kill him where he stood, so he was silently grateful for the opening.

[Note from Morgan - AGAIN!? WHY DOESN'T ANYONE READ ESDERAND'S DESCRIPTION!? PLEASE. JUST. READ. IT.]

AevumEternity

Furrowing her brow, managing to keep the prancing warhorse beneath her at bay- scimitar still pointed threateningly at the man- she answered," Lady Hakon Kilandre," she was not one to shirk simple manners after all," You are a mage- and I assume this is your... Vessel-" she motions disdainfully toward the tower, hissing between bared teeth.
" State your purpose within Connlaoth, Scholar Arthenial."  Hazel-grey eyes narrowed dangwrously, the great horse pawed the soft earth, digging up chunks of plant life and mud as a result.

[uh... I did- I'm not sure what you are using a crap ton of bold and caps for as a result... xD]

Morgan Droud

"My purpose?"

Thinking back on it, Esderand recalled reading that the last invasion of the Tower had been a couple centuries ago. He could imagine that they may have been forgotten by now.

"Well, we sort of live here..."

He was trying to come up some some valid excuse to prevent her from running him through with the very lethal stick of metal sheathed at her waist, but it wasn't going as well as he hoped.

"We've been here for a while... at least a few thousand years."

[Nevermind. Just look over the profile again please. I put the necessary note in the place it was needed.]

AevumEternity

Narrowing her eyes further, this time she allowed the charger beneath her to move rather threateningly forward- the horse rearing slightly and slamming two massive hooves into the soft earth with enough force to crush steel- but still she kept the excited animal under wraps. Lady Hakon sighed wearily despite the rather intimidating display," Then I suggest you find somewhere else to migrate Mage- your kind isn't welcome,"

The woman paused briefly to look up at the tower, there was no way it could be a thousand years old, could it? Each stone was far too bright, far too clean- as if it was built merely a day ago. But magic could do wonderful things, so she did not linger on such thoughts long.

[Aight... But just simply make a note of it, instead of going over the top, mk? xD no need for that]

Morgan Droud

"Well, funny you put in such a way. The Tower's been around far longer than every kingdom on this little continent."

Sighing, he turned around and began his walk back to the entry.

"Well, not that really matters. The Tower won't leave the kingdom, and the Kingdom won't leave the Tower alone. Always happens, always will."

AevumEternity

Frowning more deeply, a small squeeze of her thighs set the warhorse ripping across the soft meadow- the Mordecai upon its back sheathing her sword to grasp the reigns whilst still holding the shield at the ready. Never one to underestimate possible threats- the charger ripped past, only several inches from the man. The wind rolling from the great beast's strides enough to send one unprepared staggering-
With a sharp tug of the reigns, Hakon caused the animal to skid to a halt and wheel about- prancing with impatience between the scholar and his tower. It was a rather impressive sight, if not a little theatrical. Long platinum locks whirled about her face, sharp eyes blazing from beneath the soft wisps of hair, lips curling into a grimace.

" Sirrah." Her words came out as a crack from a whip would," I attempt to stay civil. I dare say even most Mages know it is rude to do so to an acquaintance without properly stating their departure." With the shield held before her protectively, she cast her free hand toward the tower.
" If you have been around for so many moons, I believe the appearance of your sanctuary now indicates something has failed you, your enchantments, your wards- whatever may have been protecting you, no?"

Morgan Droud

"As logical as your theory sounds, you're wrong."

There was no reason for stalling now. Enough time had passed, and the arcane sigils upon the tower began to glow, their silver outlines somehow visible against the pure white walls. As he watched, the Tower vanished, not a single trace to show that it had ever been there.

"That was simply a short run of bad luck."

AevumEternity

The massive warhorse made a sound, akin to a whicker and a growl simultaneously, shifting its large form impatiently as the Mordecai grimaced," Well whether I am incorrect or not- it makes no difference. Sir Scholar, I am afraid I will have to take you into custody for illegally using the archaic arts within the boundaries of the Kingdom of Connlaoth." The slightest tap of her heel caused the great beast to plod toward the man until she was near enough for the effects of her in-born ability to take hold.

" Extend your hands toward me, kindly now."

Morgan Droud

Sighing to himself, Esderand did as she ordered. A one on one against a heavily armed Mordecai would be fruitless, and this wasn't the first time he had been arrested simply for being a mage.

I wonder how much things have changed these last few years?

The last time he was in a Connlaothian city was over five decades ago, and he had been planning on visiting one anyways. Prison breaks were never fun, but he didn't have anything against it.

AevumEternity

Moving her dear Purgatorio closer to the mage, the Theocog prancing excitedly, blowing hot steam from flaring nostrils. The Mordecai reached down, grasping Esderand's delicate hand with surprising tenderness. Her hands were soft but for deep calouses and a single large scar that crossed her palm in twain.
" Mount up, Mage-I do not believe you the warrior type- and I hope you shall be gracious enough not to stab me in the back- 'twould be a grave offense." Her platinum locks were briefly blown before her face, obscuring the hard eyes but gentle smile.

Morgan Droud

"I'd probably die immediately if I tried something like that."

Mumbling under his breath,Esderand climbed behind the Mordecai, trying to avoid the horses gaze. When he was younger, much younger, his father had tried to get him to ride one, and he nearly died in the process. He got over it long ago, but horses were still his least favorite form of transportation.