Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Riverside ransom! [Tally-cakes!]

Started by Rhindeer, June 26, 2011, 03:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Nakato maintained a steady, loping stride and followed the Donovara girl just out of eyesight. Admittedly, the woman had more endurance than she'd anticipated, but Nakato was patient. This felt much like stalking game until it tired, though hopefully the end reward would be much sweeter. Ransoms were supposed to get you lots of good stuff, she'd heard.

When the girl started to slow from a jog to a quick walk, Nakato left her clothes in a bush and then trotted out into the girl's line of vision, just to her left.

Only she didn't really trot, exactly. She put a limp into her step and let out a high, pitiful whine, ears laid back.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Soralyn fanned herself with one hand.  She might shed this dress yet, though it would leave her running about in her shift.  An unseemly state to be found in, but it was blasted hot under this sun!

She slowed eventually to a comfortable walking pace, having seen no sign of the woman.  That animal in the distance had gone out of sight, too.

Yet she wasn't alone.  A little dog—coyote? jackal?—came limping out of the scraggly brush.  It let out a most pathetic sound.  Whatever ailed it, it was likely a mortal wound out here.

Soralyn gave it generous space, but paused to indulge a pang of pity for it.  "Poor thing.  If I had my bow I'd put you out of your misery."

She hunted often, and could stand to see no creature suffer so.  Still, there was the dagger.  Not something she would attempt with just any animal, but the way this one showed no fear of her, it may be possible.  If she could get it close enough, she could end it quickly.

She crouched down and made a clicking sound with her tongue.  Put her hand out as though she had food.  Her voice tilted and chimed with a high-pitched song quality.   "Here, here.  Come, come little one.  I'll open up your little throat, just a nice quick slice, then you won't feel a thing."

Rhindeer

Hah! It was working, just as she'd suspected. Stupid humans. Nakato had seen how humans kept dogs for pets, how they cared for them and worked with them and even nurtured them back to health when they were hurt. Those ones weren't wild, but it seemed her hunch had been correct. They fell for it even if the animal was wild! Could they not tell the difference between the two?

It was hard not to wag her tail as the girl crouched down and beckoned, and she mock-limped closer. The girl had let down her guard, and as soon as she was close enough to her, she'd take her. She'd traveled far, and jogged much of it. She had to be tired by now. Humans didn't have a jackal's endurance. A little closer, and she'd never see what hit--

...What the bloody fuck?

That was when Nakato actually listened to what the girl was saying.

Open up her throat?

She froze in mid-step, one paw raised, and her ears flipped forward and erect in surprise. What? What was this woman?! And how dare she trick her like that! Slowly, the shock wore off as anger and indignation replaced it. Her ears laid back again and her lip curled, baring sharp canines, as a low, angry growl rumbled in her throat; the fur along her back bristled. She had actually been planning to kill her! The nerve!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Soralyn sighed as the little creature finally decided she was a danger.  "Very well," she said.  "Good luck to you."

It still stood a chance.  It might heal.  She would certainly hope for it, but she had her own long road to take yet.  She set off again as a steady pace.

Rhindeer

The nerve, indeed! Now she was just going to ignore her?

With a snarl, Nakato slipped ahead of the girl and, not one to be brushed off (and not one to let a nasty slight like that fly!), she shifted. The change was near instantaneous; one moment there was a jackal there, the next a naked woman with teeth just as sharp as they were in her other shape. She stood her ground, unconcerned with her state of undress, and planted her hands on her hips.

"I can't believe ya were just gonna kill me!" she growled. "That's not very princess-like, ya know!"

Tally

A shifter!  Soralyn held tight to the knife.  So she was dealing with a mage, was she?  That did complicate matters.

"Deceiver!  And I told you, I'm not a princess!"

Rhindeer

"Whatever," Nakato answered with a roll of her eyes and a flip of her hand. "Anyway, time to go, princess. C'mere."

She took a cautious step toward her, eyes flicking toward the knife. That could prove a problem, but she was fairly confident in her ability to disarm her.

Tally

"Well I'm going that way."  She pointed with the dagger toward the mountains—closer than they had been but still a long journey away.

"Follow at my heels if you wish."  She struck out in the lead, stepping as haughtily as if she strode on fine purple carpet instead of this uneven ground.  "But bear in mind, dear, that I have skinned animals like you."

She said the last with a flourish of the dagger.

Rhindeer

"Oh, have ya?" Nakato said as she followed along after her, forgetting her clothes left some yards away in a bush. It wouldn't be the first time; her attention span never had been long and she'd always had difficulty focusing on multiple things at once. On the other hand, if and when she did remember, she had a good enough sense of smell that she could find them again, if nothing had happened to them in the meantime.

"So ya mean you've skinned humans, have ya? Ain't that like...eatin' your own young? Cannibalism? Sorta like that?"

Tally

Soralyn strolled through the grasslands as through a garden, as though she'd elected to be here.  She hummed, she exclaimed at the colorful birds that crossed her view and pointed out animals in the distance.  Here and there, she picked a flower.

They passed through a little swarm of a particular insect she recognized.  "If you're going to be crude, I will have to forbid you to talk.  Do mind the deer flies, they bite."

Her poor servant.  Once the sun began to set, she would find herself most beloved of the mosquitoes.

Rhindeer

Princess was doing it wrong. This was not how this was supposed to go. The concept had sounded so easy, her target so weak. So why were all these stupid complications popping up? Why did she have to wind up getting the fake-princess?

Nakato rolled her eyes as the girl went off acting all high and mighty and resigned herself to being patient. Jackals could take prey twice their size under the right circumstances and the girl would tire, as had been her plan anyway, so she just had to--wait! Her knife! She'd left her own knife behind! Back with her clothes!

Aw, shit. Her clothes. That she took off to shift. And had planned on going back for.

She minded the knife's loss more than her clothes, but she couldn't go back now.

Then she started minded the loss of her clothes once she passed through a small cloud of insects she thought were gnats.

Until they started biting, and in the rudest of places.

Nakato let out a snarling string of curses and, smacking at the things, she ran through the swarm and out the other side and then kept going for another yard to put some space between she and the asshole flies. Still the bites stung and, already a bit red, they would soon turn into some wonderfully itchy bumps. Bloody hells, she'd had enough! Screw patience! She didn't even know what she was being patient for or what the signal was for when to stop being patient and act! Oh, no, actually she did know--that was her sign!

Running through the swarm had put her ahead of the girl, so she turned around to face her and block her path, ready to move to block her if she tried to get around.

"Fuck! Ya did that on purpose!" she growled, and paused to scratch furiously at a bite on her arm. "Haha, funny, but we're done. So turn your ass back around, sweetheart."

Tally

Soralyn did turn—before the woman had the chance to order her to it.  She pivoted smoothly to a jutting rock a few feet away, and sat.

"A rest now, I think.  I will permit you to go and fetch your clothes—a poor decision to leave them though it was—but be quick about it, and come straight back.  Be sure to check your ankles for ticks before you dress again."

While her servant rectified her grave foolishness, Soralyn would take her ease here for a bit.  The hair trailing down the back of her neck would not do any longer.  Too hot and sticky.  She pulled the pins out and let it all fall loose so she could get it all up on her head in a style more appropriate for a long day spent outside.

Rhindeer

Nakato froze, mouth open and finger pointing at the girl, before she let out frustrated growl--and paused again to scratch her bottom. This was going to be so annoying.

"You'll permit...what? No! No, no, no! Sweetie, I think you're a little confused 'cause I kidnapped ya. Remember? I--" She made another frustrated sound and shook her head as though to shake away an annoying fly, not quite understanding how things got so damned turned around when she wasn't looking, but she was fixing that! She was fixing that right now. Shoulders squared, she marched over to grab her arm as she fiddled with her hair.

"Up!" They were going to get her clothes, all right! But she was coming with her!

Tally

Soralyn pursed her lips.  She did not get up.

"Yes.  You kidnapped me.  And you did so with such incompetence I have to wonder if you've any experience with this whatsoever!  Not only was it just rude to take me away, but to do so with such ineptitude is nigh insulting!  I've never seen such fuss and bumbling.  Why if I were you I'd be ashamed of my performance today!  Now here we are, on the open plains, and you've shown you don't even know enough to keep your clothes on in a harsh wilderness—a concept that even a very small child would have no difficulty grasping.  So you are going to get your clothes alone, so that maybe you'll learn their value.  I'll stay here. I must!  Considering how badly you need someone to look out for you, if I were to leave you now I shan't think you'd survive the day!"

Rhindeer

Nakato didn't understand a lot of the words the girl used on her, but she got the distinct feeling that she was calling her stupid. She opened her mouth and closed it a few times, trying to get a word in edgewise and failing, and then gave a loud huff, crossed her arms, and waited for it to end. Pah! Bumbling! Well! She'd gotten her out here into the wilderness, hadn't she? So there!

When she was finished, Nakato scowled at the girl. "Are ya done now?" she growled.

Tally

Soralyn met the woman's scowl with the withering sort of look one reserved for servants who'd been caught sneaking wine from the cellar.  She used the couple of inches of height she had on the woman to full advantage.

"I don't see you scurrying off to retrieve you clothes yet, so no.  I am apparently not done, as it appears that you are still suffering from the same soft-headedness and poor judgement that led you into this frankly pitiful state to begin with.  Shall I expound further on the sad parade of poor choices you've made from the very start of this venture to its now inevitable, unfortunate end?"

Rhindeer

Yet again, Nakato stared at the girl in squinty-eyed confusion. It was strange, recognizing and understanding all those words on their own and yet having absolutely no idea what they meant when thrown together in a big ol' pile of what. All she got was that she needed to get her clothes and there was a parade somewhere?

Of course, it may have also helped if she were listening properly, but the girl just talked an awful lot so she'd started just listening for key words.

When she was done, Nakato shook her head and grabbed for the woman's arm. "Whatever. C'mon, girlie. I ain't leavin' ya here."

Tally

Soralyn planted her feet.

"I suppose I can understand if you are afraid to go alone.  I would be too, if I were prone to disaster to the extent that you are.  Very well.  I will go, but you will carry me.  I'm quite done walking."

Rhindeer

Nakato flashed the girl an exasperated look. Did this...she did realize that she'd kidnapped her, right? That she intended to ransom her? Well, whatever! Girlie here was obviously out of her mind, but if she could get her to go along with her willingly, then excellent. Let her think she was in charge!

The carrying, however...eugh. She was about spent on lugging that girl's butt around.

Nakato placed a hand on her hip and held out her other hand. "Sure thing, sweetie. After ya gimme your knife."

Tally

The tiny dagger disappeared back into Soralyn's bodice.  She perched herself upon the rock again.  The woman was dawdling and swiftly losing her opportunity to take Soralyn along.

"Ah, you are so precious!  That was not a 'knife' that was a lady's last line of defense."