Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fortune Frowns [Rhiiii!] [M]

Started by Tally, August 19, 2012, 12:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

"Fuck Essyrn!"

And fuck Mikhail, too.  It was his fault no one with a paying job in this city would touch Cade or Syrae.

Cade threw his pack down in the inn room the two of them shared.  Another day panting after job leads, another day of Essyrni brushing him away on sight.  Somehow Mikhail had caused a ruckus in the city, and it had gotten the lot of them a bad reputation.  They'd been paid for the efforts in the desert, and paid well, but with the inn room sucking their coinpurses slowly dry, they needed work lined up.

"Did you have any luck?"

Rhindeer

Heaving a frustrated sigh and dropping his pack on the ground, Syrae flung himself belly-down onto his bed. Dust rose in a cloud from the thin mattress.

"None!" he said, sinking his face into his arms. "None at all. I got nothing. I mean, maybe if someone would talk to me for more than five seconds, but other than that..." He heaved another sigh. "We're pretty much ruined for work, thanks to Creepy."

Rolling over onto his back, he rested his hands on his chest and stared at the ceiling. "Unless...I dunno, we think a little more creatively..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Cade fell back onto the bed next to Syrae.  "What is that supposed to mean?"

Something about the way he said it made it sound ominous.

Rhindeer

"Oh, y'know," Syrae said, gesturing lazily. "There's always the Colosseum."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

That wasn't as bad a suggestion as Cade had expected.  It was actually rather good.  He sat up on one elbow.  "There is coin to be had there.  Would we even stand a chance?  You know you can't pick what they throw you up against.  We could get anything from a couple of green kids to one of those damned big lizards."

Rhindeer

"Huh?" Syrae sat up as well and blinked at Cade. He'd only been joking, but...well...

"We'd have as good a chance as anyone," he said with a shrug. "You said it yourself. You can't pick what you get, so anyone's got the same odds as us." Then he laughed. "Me? I'm less worried about the lizards than the people! It's people ya gotta watch out for. They cheat, animals don't."

Tally

Cade shrugged back at him.  It wasn't that it was a bad idea, he just didn't know if it was worth the risk they'd take.  He'd prefer mercenary work to the Colosseum's death games.

"I more hate the idea of it.  Fighting for the bloodthirsty pleasure of a horde of Essyrni?  Don't strike me right."

Rhindeer

Syrae shot Cade a look at that and lifted an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

Tally

"What?"  Cade met the look with a confused sneer of his own.  "You can't tell me you'd rather risk your life for some crowd's entertainment than for some worthy task.  The thought makes my skin crawl, all those people cheering for your death."

Rhindeer

Syrae rolled his eyes. "'Bloodthirsty horde of Essyrni'? You make us sound like savages."

Tally

Cade grabbed the nearest thing to hand—a stale loaf of bread—and threw it at Syrae's head with a smirk.  "You are."

Rhindeer

Syrae yelped as the bread struck his head and bounced onto the floor. With an exaggerated growl, he grabbed that same loaf and chucked it back at Cade, trying not to laugh. "Oh yeah? You wanna see how savage I can be?"

Tally

Cade laughed and shielded his face from the blow.  The bread went bounding onto the floor.  "Ha!  Yes, I'm terrified of the great Essyrni warrior!"

He stretched back out on the bed, hands behind his head.  "Savage, ha.  You wish."

Rhindeer

"Hey, I took out a sandworm, okay?" Syrae said, propped up on an elbow. "I could be. Ya never know. I could just be like...acting all harmless around you, but deep inside I'm--what'd ya call us? One of the bloodthirsty horde? Just itchin' to get a knife in you."

Tally

Cade shoved him in the ribs.  Too hard to be just a jest, but not quite hard enough to be a challenge.  Syrae could take it as he liked.  "Sure y'are.  You're a right fearsome savage."

Rhindeer

Syrae shoved Cade back, just a little harder, and grinned. "Sure am! And you're a right smelly foreigner!" he shot back.

To his Essyrni nose, most were. Most hadn't yet discovered the wonders of perfume.

Tally

That again.  Cade could not figure out why Essyrni wanted to make themselves smell like flowers all the time.  By way of answer, he raised a brow at Syrae, grabbed a pillow from the other side of the bed, and brought it right down on Syrae's head.

Rhindeer

"Ah!" Syrae gave a yelp as the pillow hit home, and now Cade was in for it! If he wanted a fight, he had it! "Oh, you're askin' for it."

With a mock growl, he lunged for Cade and his pillow and grabbed hold of it, yanking at it and trying to wrestle it out of his grip. "I'm gonna beat you with this thing!"

Tally

Cade let out a full-throated laugh, one that was interrupted by Syrae lunging for him and grabbing his pillow weapon.

Cade got a death grip on it and wrenched it about, trying to get it out of Syrae's grasp and shove him off at the same time.  "You'll have to take it from me first!"

Rhindeer

"That's the idea!"

Still gripping the pillow, Syrae gave up trying to wrench it away and tried another tactic. He rolled off of Cade, put his feet on him, and shoved him toward the bed's edge.