Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sheeeeeep [Rhi!]

Started by Tally, August 22, 2012, 12:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Razi fell into step beside her, eyes flicking up to the half-clouded sky every now and then.  He knew not one blessed thing about rocs.  Did they hunt solo?  In pairs?  Flocks, even?

"You live in a church?"  That sounded odd to him, but then again he knew as much about churches as he did about rocs.  Maybe it was normal for shepherds to live in them.

Rhindeer

"Oh, yes," Tessa answered, like it were the most normal thing in the world. Which it was, for her, and for many mages like her. "Sort of. Much of the time I live out here, actually! It depends on the seasons and where the grazing is, or if I have to deliver sheep somewhere. Right now I don't have to go far from the city, but my home's at the church."

Which was about the only place she felt safe at in the city. They said the open country was unsafe for women, especially young girls, especially alone. But Tessa felt safer out here with Fable and her flock than she did among people.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"Feh.  Cities."  Razi's face twisted in distaste.  He could get by in them when he had to.  He could get by rather well, in fact, but that didn't mean he enjoyed it.  Cities were dirty in a way the wilderness was not.

"Out here is better," he said, waving a hand to take in the countryside that she called her home.

Rhindeer

"Oh, I agree!" Tessa said, turning to look at Razi with a smile. "They say it's dangerous out here, and I agree. But I feel safer here than anywhere else in the city."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Razi returned her smile readily.  This was a good day.  A battle, a feast, and now fellowship.

"At least out here, you know what the dangers are.  A roc won't smile at you then try to stick a knife in your back."

He scoffed, dwelling with gratitude for a moment upon this landscape, this countryside, and how far from him the nearest city was.

Rhindeer

"People are scarier," Tessa said quietly with a small shudder. "Animals just do what animals do, 'cause they have to. People are scary. Animals don't hate."

And even as she said it, she looked over at Razi (at his face) with a slightly startled expression, because she realized then that she wasn't quite sure which category Razi fit into, or if what she said might be offensive--or untrue!

Tally

"Nn, you have the right of it."

And if he were being honest, he'd far more readily trust even another shifter over a human.  Shifters were as capable as any intelligent thing of deplorable action and thought, but they still had one foot on the instinct side of the fence and that at least put them a cut above humans in Razi's mind.

Rhindeer

Whew! So she hadn't been offensive after all! Though...now she was just curious, because she didn't want to offend him in the future, but this question might be rude? Agh!

"Um...I hope this isn't offensive to ask, because I don't mean to be! But, ah...what...are you counted as? Are you human, or an animal, or...?"

Tally

She would find that Razi did not take offense easily.  Ignorance, he had excessive patience for, and anyway he didn't mind talking about himself.  He just rarely had a chance to do so.

"Most of us--shifters--we think of ourselves as neither.  I suppose as an orc or an elf would perceive themselves.  Certainly not human, but also not animal."

Rhindeer

"Ohhhhh..." That made sense! And seemed so obvious now, but Tessa had never actually interacted with an orc or an elf or anyone not human. "Oh, I think that makes sense. There are lots of you?"

Tally

"A fair amount," he said.  "Enough that I encounter them sometimes out in the wilds.  Most of us avoid cities for obvious reasons."

Rhindeer

"I can imagine..." Tessa said, frowning as she thought of the markets, and the exotic pelts she sometimes saw there. Her stomach twisted as, abruptly, she wondered if all of them had been animal after all--something she'd never thought of before, considering she'd never met a shifter until now!

"How do...how do you know if, um...if you're hunting a real animal and not a shifter...?"

Tally

Razi's face darkened.  "It's usually not so difficult.  You saw me.  I'm far larger than any animal panther, and most shifters have similar tells.  Strange colors and the like.  And most can speak in some way, and we can shift out, as well."

None of which made a difference.  It wasn't telling shifters apart that was the problem.  Many hunters wanted shifter pelts and feathers, precisely because they were so unique.

Rhindeer

The tension melted out of Tessa at that, and she heaved a giant sigh of relief. "Oh...okay, good. Then, um, I don't think I've actually eaten any of you."

And she gave a small, weak laugh at that. "Did catch a really big rabbit once but um...I guess they'd probably turn human if they got in a fix like that, right?"

Tally

The truth?  The truth was that maybe a shifter couldn't change after being injured like that.  And that some shifters could only change at certain times.

But he felt to tell her that would be cruel.  He doubted her rabbit had been anything but a rabbit.  "I know I would," he said with a smile.

Rhindeer

Tessa's relieved sigh came out in a loud whoosh. "Oh, thank God!" she said. "I guess I'm just going to have to be more careful from now on, but...you'd recognize one by looking, right? So we won't accidentally be catching any or anything, right?"

Tally

Living spirits, she was nigh unbearably precious.

He flashed her a toothy grin.  "I'm adept at recognizing other shifters, never fear."

Rhindeer

"Good! Though I don't know what I'll do about that when we part ways. Do you think dogs have a sense about that?" Tessa asked, glancing over at Razi again--and promptly blushing when she realized, yet again, that he was basically naked.

Tally

"I surely do," he said, casting a glance at the sheep dog.  "They can smell the difference, after all."

Rhindeer

"Then maybe Fable will warn me if something's odd," Tessa said with a nod, still pointedly avoiding looking over at Razi.

"Um...hm...maybe when we get into town, we can get you some new clothes, too..."