Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

not such a bad place after all [Rhi]

Started by Tally, September 06, 2007, 11:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

"Ah...my back."  Haven felt for a chair and sank down onto it.  "The innkeeper knocked me into a post before.  It's...still a little sore."

More than a little, but he hated to complain.  He just didn't want Hazel slapping him on the back anymore.

Rhindeer

"Oh. Well that was rude," Hazel said, while simultaneously thinking it served him right for meddling. "And here you're all injured and still running about fixing people! You won't be much good to anyone if you run yourself into the ground."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"It was an accident.  And I'll try not to."  Sitting up straight as a board made it feel better.  "I just can't sleep once I'm up.  I'll take care of my business in town and by then I should be tired enough to sleep through the evening and night."

Rhindeer

"Good, good. Oh, be right back. I should finish up work so we can leave! I won't be more than twenty minutes," Hazel said, then headed off to the kitchen to make preparations for the rest of the day and clean up.

He hurried through his chores, passed the work off to Maeve, and then returned to Haven and set a hand on his shoulder to get his attention. "Ready to go?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Haven nodded and, with Hazel gone, he let the ebb and flow of conversation put him at ease.  He didn't notice the passage of time, but the direct approach of footsteps roused his attention.  An instant later, Hazel's hand fell on his shoulder.

"I'm ready."  Haven stood and found Hazel's arm.  "Do you mind?"

Rhindeer

"Oh, no. By all means," Hazel said, and gave a little laugh. He turned to lead them toward the door. "I feel so chivalrous! Perhaps I'll get to protect you from the dragon, too. That would complete this picture."

Tally

Haven joined in with a laugh of his own.  "You can be my hero!  Though...didn't that dragon take your sugar?  It must be a fearsome thing, hm?"

Outside, he followed along as Hazel lead him down the stairs, then pulled them to a halt.  "Herbs first."

Rhindeer

Hazel laughed. "Oh, I'm sure it sounds a funny thing now, but you weren't there and even if you were, you couldn't see it. I'll just say this: it was quite clear in its terms. Either it took the sugar or it ate my face. But ah, onto happier things! Your herbs. I know just the place."

He gave Haven a slight tug to get him moving again; he didn't want to linger at the doorway long, just in case certain critters returned. "Any particular ones you're looking for?"

Tally

"Dried northern varieties if I can get them.  They're difficult to come by this far south I know.  Hillsroam, blue sky's dream, frostroot, those sorts."

They went off in the opposite direction Haven had approached the inn from.  It left him with a parade of new shops and locations to memorize, on either side of the street.  What amazed him as well was how crowded Zantaric was.  It didn't seem to have a busy hour—it was always busy, day or night. 

"And let us hope you can protect me better than you could your sugar."  He couldn't let the subject go without that little jab.

Rhindeer

Hazel was glad Haven was blind because it meant he couldn't see him roll his eyes.

"I may be but a lowly cook, but cooks do know how to use knives, you know," he said. "I just perform better on other people than I do giant lizards. Ah! Here we are."

Hazel recognized the place by smell before he even saw it, a small shop with the doors and windows open so the scent of dried herbs and incense wafted out. With a gentle tug on Haven's arm, he lead him to the door.

"I'm can't say I recognize those names, but ol' Rue is pretty knowledgeable and gets varieties from all over. I'm sure she'll at least know where to get them if she doesn't have any herself."

Tally

The herbalist's shop did indeed announce itself by scent, even when they were still plenty far away from it.  Haven took a deep breath and picked out sage, brier hip, and illusia among the layered aromas.

Once inside, he detached himself from Hazel and explored the shop.  She herbalist knew her trade, and they lost themselves in conversation for far longer than he'd intended.  When he extricated himself from it all, it was with a small sack filled with nearly everything he needed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to take so long."

Rhindeer

"Nah, not a problem!" Hazel said with a wave of his hand and a cheery smile, though he had been bored shitless during the entire thing. Gods, how long could a guy prattle on about plants? Pretty damned long, apparently.

Thank gods he was so damned patient. And thank gods he was in no hurry to get back to the inn; he needed some time away from the place after the dragon incident.

"Find everything you need? You two sure seemed to have hit it off," he added with a wry smile and a nudge in Haven's side.

Tally

"Oh yes, she was so knowledgeable!  And well-stocked!  Look at all of this!"  Haven held up the packets of herbs he'd left the shop with.  He'd even been able to barter for most of them even!

"You know, I've heard Zantaric was a rough place, but aside from the alleged dragon incident, it's been lovely!"

Rhindeer

Alleged. Hazel took a deep breath in through his nose. Leave it to the blind man to doubt what the people with eyes actually saw.

"It's been lovely?" Hazel repeated, watching Haven sidelong. "What about that woman? The guest that died?"

Tally

Haven closed his pack back up, frowning.  He slung it over one shoulder and continued on in the direction they'd been going before.  It was several paces before he said anything.

"I spoke of the city, and it's reputation for danger," he said.  "The woman—why do you bring her up?  You don't think her death was intentional?"

Rhindeer

Falling into stride beside Haven, Hazel nodded. "That's exactly what I think," he said, keeping an eye out for any troublemakers along their way.

"You didn't see her when she first arrived--" He paused, grimaced. "Of course you didn't see her. You know what I mean. What I'm saying is when she arrived, she looked the picture of health. While I'm aware some ailments have a quick and sudden onset, this is also Zantaric. So it's very possible she was someone's target."

Tally

Haven stopped dead in the street, pulling Hazel to a halt with him.

"Where's her body now?  Still waiting to be picked up at the inn?"

Rhindeer

Hazel shook his head. "Oh, by now it's probably dealt with. Can't have a body laying around and stinking up the place! Bad for business, you know."

Tally

"That's fine, then."  Haven waved a hand, dismissive.  He started back the way they'd come.  "I don't need the body, just the area around where she died."

Rhindeer

"The area around where she died?" Hazel repeated, brow scrunching. "What can you tell from that?"

Hopefully, Maeve had been thorough in her cleaning.