Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Cheers Darlin' [M][DragonSong]

Started by Lowen Thorn, July 29, 2019, 06:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

Noah groaned bitterly and rolled over on his side. "Five more minutes," he grumbled into the mattress. He really was having such a nice dream, after all.

Then he registered where he was and who he was with. "Shit," he grumbled again, sitting up from the bed with a yawn and a stretch that followed. "Up."

DragonSong

"Morning." Jynx smiled at him cheerily, then promptly gave him a shove to push him off the bed and onto the floor.

Standing and stepping over him, she said with a kind of brisk energy, "We can swing by wherever you've been staying on our way out of town today, so up you get. I'll need the address and any landmarks you remember."

Lowen Thorn

"Agh!"

A loud thump as his body hit the floor. A silent groan as he composed himself, getting back on his feet. "O-Okay," he said while dusting himself off. "I'll take you to my house first, and I'll fill you in from there."

He looked around quizzically. "Um," he started. "Though I'm not entirely sure where we're at. Can you bring me to the main part of town first?"

DragonSong

Jynx snorted quietly and rolled her eyes once again. "Yeah, I can do that," she chuckled. Silly toff. "But you'd better throw something on to cover your face." Gesturing toward one of the crate in the far corner of the room, she added, "There should be some cloaks and things in there."

Lowen Thorn

...Cover his face?

He didn't think to ask, or try to argue. It was probably for the best. He agreed to her suggestion and made his way to the corner, shuffling through rags and cloaks until he found one. It was a little too big for him, a little baggier than that of his slim physique, and it smelt... well, not great. But it was the best thing he could find that covered his identity enough for him to walk around with the infamous thief.

"How do I look?" he asked, giving her a playful spin to showcase his new outfit. It failed, as he tripped over the loose wear and stumbled onto his ass.

DragonSong

She snorted again and just stared at him for a moment, almost charmed by his sheer inability to seemingly to anything right.

"Like an idiot," she informed him briskly, then stepped forward and held her hand down to him. "C'mon, on your feet. We can tie the cloak up so it doesn't drag around your feet so much."

Lowen Thorn

He took her hand and hoisted himself back up to his feet. He lowered his face to hide the slight tint of red flushing in his cheeks. "Thanks," he said quietly, positioning himself in front of her so she could help tie the knots.

DragonSong

"Just hold still," Jynx huffed at him, bending slightly so she could hitch the cloak up slightly and use the sewn-in ties in a series of creative loops to hold it in place. "I swear. You used to having your mother dress you?" she muttered, falling back on snark as he mind busied itself attempting to start planning.

Lowen Thorn

His huff was practically a pout, and he folded his arms over his chest as she fixed his clothing for him. "No," he replied flatly. "Though Luna did often pick out my clothes. She liked me to wear brighter colors because she said it brought out my eyes, but I'm pretty sure that was just an easy way for them to pick me out of a crowd."

Once she had finished, and he could move around without causing injury to himself, he gave her a small approving grin. "Ready?"

DragonSong

Jynx scoffed. "Uh, yeah, that'd do it. Tell me, if a pretty girl asked you to wear a target painted onto your back, would you?"

She straightened up and looked him over, then nodded once, apparently satisfied. "Alright. We;re going then."

Without much more than a backward glance, she started for the stairs that led back to street level, still turning a few ideas over in her head. Who this Luna might actually be, where they might make their base, how much demonic intervention this job might need, if any...

Lowen Thorn

Noah hurried after her.

"Well, it depends," he replied honestly. "The woman might have a very good reason for the target to be painted on my back, wouldn't she? If she looked like you, and was nice to me, I don't see why not."

He was half-joking, half-serious. He tried to allow the cloak to keep him masked as they walked, eyeing over his shoulder every now and then to make sure they weren't being followed. He felt so.. dangerous. A real bad boy.

That's what love and betrayal will get you: Noak Oakley, Certified Bad Boy.

DragonSong

"Alright."

She suddenly stopped short, then whirled on him, a whipcrack movement so quick it spun her curls into a wild halo around her face for a brief moment. "See, this is where I think the root of your problem lies. Look at me."

She took a step back, arms spread wide. "What do you see?"

Lowen Thorn

He almost ran her over when she stopped short, but managed to prevent himself from doing so. He cocked a brow, a little confused by the question. He also took a step back and looked her up and down.

No harm in answering.

"Perfection," he said with a slight tint of red. "But to be more specific: curves, red hair, freckles, nice skin. A beautiful woman in a not-so-nice profession. Why?"

DragonSong

Jynx gave a quick, deft flick of her wrists and two small knives slid easily into her palms. "Two blades in the sleeves."

She flicked the knives back into their hidden sheaths and spread her arms out and up, revealing the very slight misshapen silhouettes against her sides. "Two more against my ribs. Two on my waist and one at the small of my back, though you won't be able to see those at all."

She twisted, cocking a hip out slightly to highlight the series of pouches on her belt. "Various poisons and sleeping powders that can be spread on a blade or slipped into food or drink. Some I can even wear over a seal on my lips, if that's my only option."

One foot out, tapping her heel sharply against the floor to slide out the thin blade in the toe. She quirked an eyebrow; didn't feel like that one needed anymore explanation.

Stepping back, she allowed her arms to fall to her sides and just looked at him. "You see a pretty girl. What you should see is a woman armed quite literally to the teeth, and more than ready to cut your throat in your sleep. I am this city, Noah; I'm just a lot prettier on the outside." She tilted her head slightly to the side. "Learn to see the world around you. Every man, woman, and child from here to Serendipity would happily rob you blind and leave you in a ditch. Act like it."

Lowen Thorn

Noah went to speak was literally couldn't find the words. He couldn't find the words because there were none. She stunned him into silence, his mouth slightly agape and his eyes giving away the shame he felt about himself.

After a moment, he cleared his throat, but still didn't speak. He nodded quietly, and motioned her to continue leading them back into an area that he actually recognized.

DragonSong

Taking the silence as an answer in and of itself, JYnx just nodded at him once, then turned to start making her way back up the stairs.

Good. Maybe he'll actually listen to me and stay alive.

She didn't even bother to look back at him, not until they'd reached the top of the steps and the hidden door in the wall--and even then it was only to order quietly, "Keep back a few steps, I'm gonna check to see if the coast is clear."

Lowen Thorn

The walking disaster suddenly stopped walking at her command. "Okay," he choked out, still a little flushed from her complete breakdown and destruction of his character earlier. "Be ca-"

He stopped himself from finishing that, and instead gave her a nod and waited for her signal.

DragonSong

Oh great.

Now he was too scared to even talk to her.

Well. Better scared than dead. Shrugging it off, Jynx pushed the hidden door open just a crack, just enough to peer out into the tiny alley and glance around. With a quick, sharp nod, she leaned her shoulder into the stone to push it back further and slipped out into the sunlight.

Gods, fresh air was nice. Well, as "fresh" as the air ever got in Zantaric. She waved a hand for Noah to follow, clicking her fingers with a small smirk. "Heel, boy."

Lowen Thorn

Noah's brows narrowed in slight irritation, but he left it at that and followed. "Ha ha. Very funny, Jynx," he said as he reached her again.

Out in the open in the shit-stained air that Zantaric was, he gave a quick look around and a confirming nod. "I know where I'm at now," he replied. "You can follow me to my place."

He didn't wait on a response before he pressed forward to the road next over.

DragonSong

Jynx chuckled quietly and fell into step just behind and beside him, a small smirk curving at her lips. "Lookin' for your claws there, kitten?" she teased quietly, too low for anyone passing on the street to overhear. "Why don'tcha lemme know when you find 'em."