Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sweet and Sour (M)

Started by visualspice, March 15, 2013, 08:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Sixteen. She was turning, sweet sixteen. Though the girl was hardly sweet, and wanted to pretend to be a lot older than she mentally was.  Valia, the youngest daughter to Duke Harold of Highheart, was tapping her foot impatiently inside her room as her corset was fastened as tight as it could possibly be, giving her the smallest waist in all the land, and enhancing her ever growing 'assets'.

But she had quite the temper, and her cheeks was flushing as pink as her dress, which flowed about her body in lacy layers, like a cake. She finally stopped tapping her foot and turned towards her maid.
"Are you done yet?" she snapped. The young maid was taken back. Valia had been on her third new servant that week, and her patience was growing thin. It seemed she might be going on her fourth new recruit soon if this maid didn't pick up the pace. "One thousand brush strokes should not take this long! Now, where are my earrings? Hurry up and fetch them."s he prodded, pinching the maids arm angrily as the maid simply was staring at her in fear. "I said hurry!" The maid rushed off, stumbling through the jewelry drawers while Valia grew angrier.

"They're the gold ones! The ones with the pearls ad pink diamonds tiering down from them- REALLY!" she huffed and whirled around, yanking open the bottom drawer of her jewelry box and snatching them out, dropping a few other earrings carelessly along the way. "Here!" she shoved the earrings into the woman's hand, then dropped herself into the vanity chair and lifted up her hair to expose her ears. "Now, hurry! I don't have all day!"

As the maid stumbled to get the earrings in, Valia glared at her through their reflection in the mirror. It was taking too damn long, and when the woman went to hang the matching necklace and accidently dropped the thing about four million times, Valia had enough and slapped her hard across the girl's face.
"Can't you do anything right? Get out of my sight right now before I have you hanged for your insolence!"

The maid, terrified, flew out of the room in tears. Huffing, Valia picked up the necklace and rushed to her doors and thrust them open-
"DADDY!"s he wailed, her voice echoing across the massive gilded hallways. "DADDY! I NEED YOU RIGHT NOW!!" she screamed, stomping her foot.

Today was meant to be perfect. It was her sixteenth birthday party, but so far, it was nothing but trouble.  She knew the guests would be arriving shortly, and as she stormed across the hall, she peered over the railing of the grand staircase, her eyes coming across the draping leis of light pink flowers that hung down from the ceiling and the pink rose petals splashed across the floor.  The entire place was glittering, the normal gold accents of the room adding a romantic quality to her family's castle. And despite it being gorgeous, she looked well past it and screamed out again, "DADDY!" her voice echoing down the staircase.

Where was he!? Why wasn't he coming at her call? Would she have to wear out her lungs well before her party to get to him? No matter, perhaps she'd have to handle this herself as she snatched onto her skirts and rushed down the long, curling broad pair of stairs, following along the rightward path.  The servants were just finishing lighting the candles on the chandeliers, and lacing them with the same light pink leis and strings of pearls. One was pulling at the rope, hoisting up, up and away as the room was quickly cast in it's golden glow.  Valia was only irritated by this, pushing her way through the servants and screaming again once she realized her father was not there.
"DADDY!" she screamed again, then when she noticed a pair of servants look her way, then over towards the balcony window, she stormed over towards it in a rage.

"L-Lady Valia! Please, do not go out-"

But she wasn't about to listen as she thrust the doors open, storming outside and looked down over the gardens to see- with a gasp, the most beautiful white horse she had ever seen- and the father standing right beside it, leading it towards the stable. Some of the hair on the horse had been died a soft pink color and pink ribbons adorned it's mane. But Valia hardly cared for the horse, nor the details as she screamed out his name again-
"DADDY!"s he wailed, and her father turned towards hr, giving her a lop sided grin.

"Why, Valia! This is a surprise! It looks like you've caught me red handed!"
Valia angrily held her breath, chewing on the inside of her mouth as her father pressed on. "You seemed to have found out one of your birthday surprises. How do you like him? He's quite the beautiful animal, is he not? And he's all yours, Valia. Happy Birthday, my dear!"
Valia had done just about enough chewing on her cheek as she screamed out, "DADDY! I DO NOT CARE ABOUT A HORSE! THE NEW MAID I GOT IS A FOOL AND I'VE SENT HER AWAY! OH, DADDY!" she wailed, flying don the balcony side steps and over to him. "It was horrible, simply horrible! She could barely get my earrings in and my necklace!" she held it out angrily in her hands. "She couldn't even get my necklace on as her foolish hands were so shaky! I demand another maid at once! How am I to prepare for this evening if I'm not even fully dressed?"

Her father, taken back, but quickly smiled at his daughter and pulled her into a partial hug as his other hands held onto the reigns of her horse.
"Now, now, my dear. We will get you a proper maid, do not fret. I'm sorry that Annabelle did not work out for you. But say, chin up, my girl. You already look stunning. But please, do take a look at your new horse! It's a champion breed, the finest in all of he land!"
Valia, only somewhat sated by her father's compliments, held another hot breath as she glared over at the horse.
"I guess it is pretty, but what am I to do with it? You know I'm not a fan of riding. Will it be one for my carriage?"
"Landsakes! NO! We shall teach you to ride more proper. I know you've never taken as well to horses as your sister-"
"That's because I'm NOT my sister!" Valia snapped. Her father went silent a moment and slowly nodded.
"Well, there are more gifts to be had. Come on in, my little love bug. I've got more things to show you. But first, let's see to that maid of yours, hrm?"
Valia rolled her eyes, but obliged. After all ,there was the incentive her father had mentioned she'd be getting more gifts. And these gifts better damn well be more handsome than that horse. A HORSE! Of all of the damned things to get her for her birthday! If anything, her father should be working at hunting down a husband for her, not some animal!

But soon all of the preparations were in order and the carriages began to arrive. Valia, at her mother's judgement, wore her hair up that evening, which was quite a feat in itself, considering how long her flowing golden locks were. But she looked much older and wiser beyond her years, something even Valia appreciate din the moment. She had to wonder how many handsome knights or dukes might be at the event. After all, she couldn't stand the idea her sister was to marry one of the wealthiest dukes in the land. She would have to score one for herself, or, at least find one who was twice as handsome- though she would have liked to settle for a man that was twice as rich, as well. Though it would be hard pressed. After all, her sister was engaged to none other than Duke Calent himself. And she couldn't help but become anxious and worry over if her sister was to attend this event or not..
After all, the last letter she received did not have her making any promise. It always seemed there were always reasons in getting in the way. This Duke Calent she was to marry was already consuming so much of her life, and the two weren't even married as of yet!  Sighing, Valia pushed herself across the crowd and stole a drink. She knew the guests would be arriving soon, but a little bit of champagne never hurt,a nd after downing nearly the entire glass, her mind was a bit bubbly, a little more than tipsy, and she felt more able to handle the rush of people that were soon to come. Taking her place beside her mother, the massive doors were opened as the first set of guests began to arrive.

The party had begun.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

The carriage felt terribly crowded, but perhaps that was just Gabriel's nerves getting the best of him. Or maybe it was the overbearing presence of his father sitting next to him. His two sisters, both younger and older, sat on the seat opposite them. Evelyn was glaring out the window, probably wishing she were anywhere but here. Lillian, however, was singing softly and swinging her feet happily. He couldn't help but smile at his little sister, with her golden curls and enormous green eyes she was going to break a lot of hearts when she became old enough to marry. And he was going to have to break a lot of necks.

The entire ride he'd been staring out the window, and the whole of the trip his father had been lecturing him non-stop. Every hour that passed he could have sworn that carriage got even smaller. It must have been the fifteenth time his father had repeated the same exact speech. He thought he could probably recite it in his sleep by now. 'Everyone is to be on their absolute best behavior. We want to impress the Duke and his family. Gabriel, you are to be an absolute gentleman to the Lady Valia, she's a very eligible young woman and she won't be without plenty of suitors. Make yourself stand out. It could be a good match...' It was endless.

"Father, I heard you the first fourteen times, I think I've got it. Just promise you won't start wedding plans yet?" He chuckled good-humoredly.

"I'm sorry, Gabriel. I just want the best for you, and there isn't a prettier maiden in the entire kingdom. I know looks aren't everything, but the duchy of Highheart is a good one, and you know her older sister is set to marry Duke Calent of Allar! You could certainly do much worse. Now, I know there are rumors that she's a bit demanding..."

"Demanding? The words I heard were bratty and spoiled. And I knew] it! You just want me to marry the sister of Duke Calent's future wife." His emerald eyes sparkled.

"Now that is not true! Lady Valia really is supposed to be quite fetching. Perhaps she's a little spoiled, as they say, but why shouldn't she be? She's the daughter of a duke. She could have her pick of the young, eligible men that will likely be at this party, but we need her to want you."

"Maybe I don't want her? I'm only seventeen, father, honestly. I think I can wait a few years before deciding on a bride. For the love of Ansgar, she's only just becoming old enough to consider marriage today." Honestly, for as much as he was protesting, Gabriel didn't sound or look all that upset.

"You're impossible, child. Stop arguing with me and do what you're told. Besides, I need to see to it you've got a proper wife before I'm too old to enjoy my grandchildren. Especially since your sister seems too stubborn to find a nice husband and give me any."

The look Evelyn gave their father could have withered the very flowers, Gabriel thought with a laugh. At twenty his sister should have been married and with her first child by now. She was pretty enough, but with her face always looking so sour, it was no wonder the men didn't approach her. They were probably intimidated by her.

"Besides, I've heard the young lady was gifted by Ansgar with a very impressive set of..." Micah coughed suddenly, not finishing his comment.

"Daddy almost said breasts!" Lillian squealed in delight, giggling manically.

Gabriel groaned and softly smacked his head against the side of the carriage. This was going to be a long, long evening. Lucky him, the carriage had just pulled up. A few of the guests had arrived, but they were one of the first. The wagon behind them was filled dozens of barrels of sparkling apple cider; a gift to the family, which the servants promptly began unloading.

Stepping from the carriage he turned immediately to offer Lillian his hand and she bounced down with a childish glee. His little sister adored parties. One of the servants brought him an ornately gilded chest of a dark wood and inlaid with gold scrollwork. The box itself was impressive, and a bit heavy, the gift inside was downright extravagant, as his father had insisted it be.  He felt absolutely ridiculous.

The party was ready to begin and his father lead the way, Gabriel brought up the rear, his sisters would present their presents first, saving his for last. They were properly announced as they approached, but the only thing that Gabriel could register at first was the sheer amount of pink. It was everywhere.  Lillian presented a beautiful pearlescent pink rose, it was in a pink pot; they were the roses his mother had grown in the gardens of their castle. Evelyn's gift was a string of pearls.

Finally he stepped forward and bowed, somewhat awkwardly with the chest in his arms. When he straightened, he shifted his burden to one arm and lifted the lid to reveal the gift. It was possibly the most extravagant gift Gabriel had ever seen, let alone given. Within the chest, resting on pink silk was a golden tiara, inlaid with sparkling pink diamonds.

"Lady Valia, the most beautiful piece of jewelry I could find and still it pales in comparison to your radiance." It wasn't necessarily a lie, she was quite as beautiful as his father had promised she would be, and it took an effort not to gawk at her considerable cleavage. Apparently his father hadn't been exaggerating about that either!

visualspice

Arriving first were the Coleridge family. It was probably ages since she had interacted with this family, but had heard they had a son about her age who was a knight, or knight in training, or some such, so, at least for her, she had something to be excited for, but gave somewhat of a soured look when the sister's moved forward first. She did her best to hide it, but it was obvious the girl wasn't nearly as happy as the pink colors all strewn about, and had forgotten she had wanted to try oogling the son of this family until he was right before her. Yes, she had been too distracted about the simple rose and pearls for a gift (since they were rather disappointing gifts, to say the least, for she knew her sister would have gotten an entire rose GARDEN and perhaps even an entire DRESS made of pearls- but, she wasn't Kathryn, now was she?) , that when the intricate box was presented to her, she blinked. Staring down at it, she tilted her head and furrowed her brows angrily when the lid was suddenly clicked open-
and inside lay the most beautiful tiara, sparkling and lovely with it's pink diamond settings.

It was only then she lifted her head, pink eyes taking int he strong hands, the strong neck and shoulders, then the most handsome face of a man she had ever seen. And found herself staring at him, pretty pale pink lips gaping like a fish.

He had unruly gold hair that lay about his face, framing brilliant green eyes that she (so cleverly) wanted to believe were sparkling because of her.  And he was handsome with a strong jaw, framed with some sort of beard hair about his face that made him seem more clever, more older than he ought to be. Though she enjoyed men without beards (after all, they tended to tear at her skin when kissing..), this one looked rather charming on him, and she liked the idea she was having trouble guessing his true age. Was he 18? 19? 20?

She blinked again, realizing she was staring as she gently closed her lips, then threw her nose arrogantly to the air and accepted the gift with a bow.
"You are most gracious." But she spared him no more words than that as she remained rigid and nodded to him, expecting him to move along in line as the next set of guests began to arrive behind them, lining up for their turn to pay their respects to the royal family and the birthday child.

Yes, she would have to keep tabs on this one as the night transpired. His hair already looked like the pair had been romping in the hay. And if she played her cards right, perhaps the pair would? At least now she'd have her own stall or two because of the dumb white horse she had gotten as a gift. Really, what was her father thinking!?  She would have to talk to him about that later. Really, wanting to teach her to ride better? Whatever for!?
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Gabriel had never felt more scrutinized in his entire life. Lady Valia seemed to be taking in every detail, sizing him up and measuring his worth. His emerald eyes did sparkle, though, as he watched her, careful not to let his eyes wander places they shouldn't. Whatever judgments she were making, the lady seemed to like what she saw, if her parted lips and wide pink eyes were any indication. As she came to the realization that she was staring he couldn't help but grin as she closed her mouth and arrogantly dismissed him with a few curt words.

He let his eyes linger on her a few moments longer; they were warm and laughing eyes, before he gave a polite bow and followed his sisters away. Gabriel grunted softly as his father clapped him on the shoulder with a grin and muttered a few words of encouragement. After that he found himself disturbingly alone. His sisters had dispersed to find other women of their own ages to gossip with and his father had gone to mingle with the older men. No doubt he'd try to get in a few words with Valia's father. Gabriel would need to impress him too, if he wanted a real chance of becoming acquainted with the extremely pink, but very attractive birthday girl.

It took him only a moment to hunt down some champagne for himself. Idly he wished for something stronger, but most of all he wanted more of his peers to arrive so he could mingle with the young men of the other duchy and hopefully avoid getting himself into too much trouble. Not only that, but Valia would not be the only eligible young lady here tonight, and he would be all too eager to distract himself with a bit of harmless flirting.

His wish was quickly granted when someone he recognized made their appearance. Derrick was twenty, short, and was just a bit on the pudgy side, but the man knew how to shoot and ride. Plus, he was accompanied by his willowy sister, Rachael, who was also seventeen. They were from a less wealthy family, but they had enough to warrant social desirability. He waited patiently for them to present their presents, and then they immediately joined him, Derrick was grinning from ear to ear.

"Glad to see my father wasn't the only one intent on delivering some cruel and unusual punishment! Girl's parties are always such a bore. At least we can keep each other company? I bet there are going to be some really pretty girls, though, so that makes up for it a little..."

Gabriel smiled politely at Derrick, letting him go on and on about all the girls they could discreetly leer at during the party. His real attention was on Rachael, who kept eyeing him appreciatively. He'd known them both since they were children, but it had been a few years and he and Rachael had both done some growing up. He noticed she was certainly more developed than the last time he'd had the pleasure of her company. Gabriel found her pretty, not stunning, as Lady Valia, but certainly pleasing to look at, and as he and her brother spoke about women, hunting, and business, she would find excuses to touch his arm, looking up at him while batting her eyes.

Ah, father would so not approve...

visualspice

The guests arrived, and it was well over an hour affair of standing there and waiting for gifts to be presented, one family (and occasionally one person) at a time. But Valia, chained to her position, begrudgingly would courtesy or offer a hand for a gentleman to kiss, or this or that. All in the name of propriety.

Though she itched all over to be free of this restraint, to just stroll amongst her guests and wow them with her femininity and charms. She at least had that going for her- and a nice developing figure to boot.  But Valia's charms were normally vain and had to do with flaunting her body, rather than brain, and let the men remain to think she was nothing more than that- something simple, but someone willing to listen to their heroic stories, and their own charms.  Men liked that, and it was why she had so many crowding around her. Birthday or no, when she was old enough to openly flirt, she did so, and it caused quite a stir. Though her sister used to chastise her, telling her not to seem too eager, she hardly cared and continued to keep at it.

Now having herself a swarm of men all about her, she batted her lashes, pressed together her cleavage and gave a simple twirl of her finger into the few loose curls of her hair. But as the night went on, she began to wonder whatever had become of the Coleridge boy. What was his name? Gavrelle or something?  She had been well distracted for a time, and was only reminded of him when a man resembling him, though far less handsome, had become the center of her flirtation. And this man was huge. So tall and clumsy in his manner, but handsome enough she supposed. But he was positively blotting out her range of vision, and beginning to hoover over her in an almost possessive manner that made the number of men crowding around her, shrink.

This man was some young Captain of the Guard, or some fancy title like that. She had stopped listening since for the past half an hour- or was it an hour?- it was all he ever talked about and her patience was wearing thin. I twas only after a time that she finally pressed a request- for him to get a drink- so with the man off and away, she sighed, thrusting out her fan and began to flutter it beside her face. Her eyes, now idly scanning the crowd, fell upon the handsome blonde boy from earlier.

Oh, so that's where he was hiding.
And the way he was smiling at the woman on his arms made her blood crawl with ice. She glared daggers at him, pink eyes growing poisonous so when the General, or captain (or whatever he was) returned, she was taken back, and when he presented her with some wine, she smacked it angrily out of his hand.

"I wanted the strawberry wine. Do you not know anything?"
And the tall man just stared at her. Valia gave a huff.
"I need some fresh air."s he pressed. "By myself." and she whirled away from him excusing herself and storming out onto the balcony, the cool air hitting her as she folded her fan and dropped it to her side. As much as she was enjoying herself , in the same breath, she was not.
Her sister had still yet to arrive (if she was even going to) and all of the men who fussed over her were stupid and borish.

What did she care about politics and the military anyway?
Sighing, she leaned against the gold paint on the carved balcony railing and peered down boredly at the gardens. She needed to think of something fun to do and fast. Maybe she should have kept flirting with those pair of twins from earlier. It might have been fun to play with them both in the gardens...

but even still, her mood was too soured for her to get up and make any attempts like she usually was. And here she was the birthday girl. Sweet sixteen,a nd all she could think of was the soured, wine drink the stupid captain tried to offer to her. Seriously- didn't he know any better?

Zero

More and more guests arrived, and as they did, more young men and women joined him; especially during the long procession of arriving guests presenting their gifts. Most came long enough to exchange pleasantries before drifting away again. Gabriel watched as the party quickly divided itself into small groups. The thought amused him; mostly they would all mingle with their immediate allies and friends, while being little more than polite and courteous to the rest of the guests.

As the evening wore on Gabriel had one constant, which was Rachael practically hanging off of his arm. While he remained polite and smiling, he found her constant flirtation tiring. Her coy and demur advances weren't going to sway him. Not that he disliked her, far from it, she was a good girl, but not for him. His father would never have allowed it, for one thing. Her position in society was just too low for such a match to be gainful in any way to his family.

Not to mention he kept stealing glances towards Valia. She really was stunning to look at. Of course, once she finished accepting presents and was free to mingle catching sight of her became nearly impossible with as many men as crowded around her. Gabriel refused to be one of them. She was beautiful, certainly, but he wasn't going to be fawning over any girl like a complete scoundrel, although he noted her shameless flirting. No wonder the men flocked around her.

Keeping tabs on Valia through the evening, it was hard for him to miss the sudden commotion. Apparently she had slapped a glass of wine right out of a guard's hands when he'd tried to offer it to her. Not a moment later she had dismissed herself in a huff. He really wasn't sure what to make of that, but the man in question had certainly had been hovering about her for a time, so perhaps he'd been getting a bit too forward with the lady when his affections weren't wanted.

Prying himself away from Rachael with hasty excuses, which were not well-received, Gabriel fetched himself a glass of wine, and one also for Lady Valia before heading out onto the balcony. For several moments he stayed quiet, just admiring her as she leaned against the rail looking down into the gardens. Putting on a dazzling smile, he walked up to stand next to her at the balcony, looking down at her with a twinkle in his eye.

"I had overheard the Lady requested strawberry wine." He offered Valia the wine, hoping to get a slightly better reception that the poor guard had. "I hope that the fairest maiden would grant me the pleasure of her company."

visualspice

Valia assumed she'd be bothered by one of her admirer's sooner or later, though was a bit surprised when she turned around and found herself glaring back at the Coleridge boy- mouth open ready to cut him down.
But then her eyes went wide, her cheeks going as pink as her dress color before she flattened her lips and simply stared at him. She had almost not heard what he spoke, but in the same breath, she caught it all- it just took some time for the words to catch up with her. Blinking, her face softened somewhat as she stared down at the drink-

And was surprised to hear him mention it was strawberry wine. Her eyes shot back to his, staring at him for a time. His choice of words were like that of any of the other men who tried to get her fancy, but his words made a bit more of an impression. Her heart fluttered lightly within her chest, but did not deter her from setting her jaw and lowering her eye lids at him skeptically.
"I am rather fond of it, it's my favorite drink, after all," she informed him with a sniff. "And yes, I suppose you may entertain yourself at my side if you wish," she said, waving her hand in the air,t hen realizing she was still carrying her fan, she hung it's rope around her wrist and reached out to the offered wine and took it.

She took a dainty sip (though she really wanted to just inhale the whole damn thing) before she swallowed it down polite and slow, while taking him in with her eyes, nice and slow.

"So your family owns lands with many apple orchards?" she didn't know why she brought that up, and inwardly kicked herself for such a lame way to begin a conversation. She should have started with his green eyes, but found herself stumbling over more direct things to say to the man now that he was well within her clutches- yet.. he was still so far away. "Come, why don't we go see where they've taken those gifts you have brought. Cider might mix well with strawberry wine." And having to sneak off to the cellar to get to it might be a rather fun adventure, too. Yes.. this was definitely more where she'd like to lead the conversation. They could have a fun time down in the cellar. Her smile perked up, as did her um.. other things, as she leaned a little nearer towards the young man and waited silently for his reply.

Zero

At first Gabriel wasn't sure if he'd made the right choice, the look on Valia's face when she first turned to face him wasn't exactly welcoming. However, she seemed to soften, just a bit, when she realized who had come and that he had brought her the wine. He particularly enjoyed the wide eyes and blush that kissed her cheeks.  Again he couldn't help but think that she was quite lovely to look upon. Not that looks were everything, but they sure didn't hurt. Gabriel wanted to be attracted to his wife when he married one day.

For the second time that evening he felt her scrutinizing gaze and had the feeling that it was likely not going to be the last time she observed him so keenly. Gabriel was not an arrogant man, but he was confident. He knew that his family was wealthy, that his looks were appealing, and that he was quite eligible. With a duchy secured in his future, well, there would likely be more than one woman wishing to wed him for political reasons, if nothing else. It made sense for women to be sizing him up. Just as it made sense that his green eyes surveyed her appreciatively, and not at all shyly either. He was admiring her and didn't care if she knew it. That was the point, wasn't it?

A slightly triumphant grin crossed his face as she took the wine and consented to his company. She seemed to be stubborn about something though. Gabriel took some pleasure in trying to decide in his own mind what she was thinking. It would be fun to find out if he could accurately judge her opinions of him. So far he was fairly confident that she found him attractive, but that was about as far as his mind had managed to decide on.

As she took a dainty sip of her wine he couldn't help but grin again and raise his own drink to his lips, being polite and taking only a sip. Gabriel was not drinking heavily, couldn't go making a fool out of himself, now could he? Especially not at such a large social event; one where he was trying to scout out potential brides. He'd tried to think of a conversation starter, but Valia beat him to it and asked about his family.

"Oh, yes. Our duchy is, I believe, one of the largest producers of apples in the kingdom. Apples and cider aren't exactly exciting, but the orchards are beautiful when they are in bloom. Perhaps you could visit while they were and I could give you a personal tour." It would be a very interesting prospect, if he could convince her father to allow it. Perhaps the duke himself would like to visit?

Gabriel had kept a proper distance between their bodies, and he raised a brow questioningly as she suggested they go find the casks of cider his family had brought. They would have been taken to the cellar, he knew, and they had no escort, it wouldn't exactly be proper to go wandering off too far alone with her. If they were spotted sneaking off, well, tongues tended to wag when there was a juicy piece of gossip to be had.

It was a struggle to keep his eyes from lowering past her face as she leaned towards him and her chest became more pronounced. He was afraid her impressive assets were in danger of becoming exposed. Her dress was indecently low-cut. He knew his green eyes were a bit wide, and his face probably held an expression of disbelief. Just as he opened his mouth, there was a bit of a commotion from within the party. They had announced that the music and dancing were to begin. As the birthday girl, Valia would be expected to be the first to dance.

A grin once again took over his features; he took her hand and held it to his lips as he bowed. "The offer is enticing, but would you give me the honor of your first dance of the evening?" He straightened up and offered her his arm, like a proper gentleman. "I will admit that I had started to worry I wouldn't get the chance to have a moment of you all to myself, so perhaps after a few dances, when our absence would be less noticed, we could go look for that cider?"

visualspice

(OOC: Lol, he should totally not be promoting her horrible ideas XD )

----------------------

Valia blinked. She was dumb struck, even as the music began to play and she knew she was chained to these obligations, though it softened the blow from her other wise scandalous idea that was thwarted by fate, but she was ok with that. After all, the handsome young man just asked her to dance.

She wasn't sure how to smile, or knew how she was smiling as she simply nodded and accepted his hand.
"I would be delighted."
And her pink eyes twinkled, excited that the man gave her hope for some more fun later... after all, it seemed, from his wording, the two were on the same page, and this sent a thrill of excitement through her, fluttering at her heart and tickling down through to the tips of her fingers. Then, hand in hand, the pair moved out into the center of the dance floor, one hand to his hip, the other secure within his hand as they would remain poised, Valia's eyes locked upon his gaze- the same deviously playful look as she wore before plastered about her face...

and then the dance begun.

One, two, three.
One, two, three.

A waltz, and a pretty one- for a maiden so fair-
a traditional song of Connlaoth to play at a coming of age party for a woman-
one about love from an older man who had been waiting his whole life for her and how fate made this day perfect for them to finally proclaim this growing love.

Valia knew the words, most nobles did, for they'd sing them in parlors and in carriage rides somewhere. Valia did this a lot growing up-
and for the first time in her life, she wanted to believe the words that fate made this day-
and perhaps made this day for her and Gabriel.

She knew not the obligations of being a wife, just that if her sister were marrying, she was next and that well, she supposed if she were to be stuck with one man, she might be very well off staring at him until he was old and grey- though she never considered that either could turn old..
naturally, being so young and beautiful, she believed it would last this way forever- as her heart and imagination was caught up and away with the music.
Yes, she would be very ok perhaps being stuck with a handsome husband like him someday.

Zero

(OOC: Haha! But it will be all the more fun later! They are on totally different pages right now about this trip to find cider. xD)

---------------------------------

The evening was going perfectly. Truly, Gabriel could not imagine things going more smoothly in his favor. As she accepted his invitation to dance, he led her inside, to the center of the dance floor. Valia was the most radiant young woman to grace these halls, and she was the birthday girl, to have her at the center of attention was only fitting. To have them, together, as the center of attention, would be making a statement; although he would not dream of trying to outshine her. He doubted he could even compete.

As all young men of royalty, Gabriel had been well-taught in all levels of society, including dancing, which was expected of him at such occasions. The irony of the first waltz to be about finding love was not lost upon him, and he hoped that perhaps it was an omen of good fortune to come. As he twirled Valia about the dance floor, they were met with looks of envy; Rachael glared and sulked, refusing invitations to dance by other young men. Gabriel noticed none of it; his entire world had shrunk to the two of them.

His green eyes sparkled playfully; his smile was itching to turn to laughter. Yes, this was turning out to be quite a wonderful evening indeed. Here he had caught the eye of the loveliest girl he had ever laid eyes upon; thankfully he had not yet experienced her temper firsthand. The night was still young, however, and he had suggested they retreat quietly and alone once the evening wore on. Gabriel certainly hadn't forgotten about that, and wondered what he had been thinking in suggesting such an outrageous thing. Of course, they had been thinking of very different ways of spending that time alone together.

The song came to an end and he found himself reluctant to stop dancing. Both because he enjoyed it, Valia was a graceful dance partner, and because he wished to prolong the closeness he felt they were beginning to develop. However, he dutifully paused as everyone clapped in appreciation of the first dance. Now it would be perfectly acceptable for other eligible young men to attempt to cut in to dance with Valia and he really didn't want to give her up!

Smiling his brilliant and charming smile, he leaned down to softly speak in her ear. "If I could but keep you all to myself I would! It would be terribly impolite to refuse to share your attention, however. Please do not forget that you offered to find some cider with me later." With that he stepped back, so that another could step in, if Valia so wanted.

visualspice

(So tired, but I felt like posting XD and I wanted to post something earlier but got busy~  and sorry that this post is short D:)

------------------

Valia reveled in the moment. She had always dreamed of her coming of age party, and so far, despite some souredness in the beginning, things were finally heading in the right direction. Gavrin.. Gavrel.. Gabriel? Whatever his name was, the Coleridge boy! He danced divinely, and like himself, she was drawn to him, but, perhaps for different reasons. And she too, would not forget such a promise (she was a hard woman to drop a grudge, too..)
So when the music ended and he bowed and moved to step away, she stepped forward before another could cut in, raising her brow at him inquisitively.
"But why not? I am the birthday girl. Why not have another dance with me?" and already she had her hand upon his wrist, her eyes foxish and her nose to the air.
What did she care about ALL of proprietorial laws? It was HER party.
She was going to dance with him if she wanted to!
Stepping forward she curtsied.
"That is, if you'd be so kind to oblige my request?"

And he had better, lest he also full victim to Lady Valia's wrath.

Zero

Gabriel didn't really want to stop dancing with Valia, it had simply been the right thing to do to give other young men a chance to ask the young lady to dance. So when she stepped forward and seized his wrist, her words were not at all unwelcome. He grinned at her curtsey, bowing humbly in return. "I merely wished to be polite, but how could I possibly refuse such a request? If it is the lady's wish, then I am but yours to command."

Green eyes laughed silently as he stepped forward again, putting his free hand on her waist and moving to grasp the hand that had so grabbed his wrist. Even when dancing there was expected to be a certain distance between the dancers, but Gabriel pulled Valia lightly against him with a grin. Already he knew that there were going to be whispers about how taken they were with each other, but he didn't really care. Let them talk. His father had been pushing him to speak with Duke Harold, but now Gabriel knew for sure that he wanted to of his own accord.

The music began again, another traditional coming of age song about growing up, about duty, honor, and tradition. As they danced he leaned his head down to once again whisper in her ear, soft enough to not be overheard, but enough that she would be able to hear him over the music. "Since you seem to be unconcerned with doing things the absolute proper way, I wanted to tell you that I intend to ask your father's permission to court you, but only if it please the fair maiden."

Normally a man would have spoken to her father to gain permission, with little regard for whether or not Valia wished to be courted.

visualspice

Despite how free spirited and untamed Valia was about boys, her cheeks gave way to a ripe blush when Gabriel moved closer to her as they danced. She felt her heart do a tumble, thumping heavily a few good times in her chest as they moved about the dance floor. She could feel her hands sweating beneath her gloves as her body melted away within the moment, only to be brought back as she shivered when he whispered into her ear.

Permission to court her? She felt dizzy for it, her mind whirling over the idea. It was the first real time someone was allowed to ask for such things (though she had been out with boys before, and each time was scandalously delicious- after all, who needed permission to flirt, kiss and roll about in the hay?)
She wasn't sure how to respond, and found herself feeling awkward.
Did that mean she was limited to just one man courting her if it would be approved of her father openly? She wasn't sure if she'd like that. After all, it was much more fun to sneak around after dark....

So, Valia did something that was very Valia of her. She simply gave him a coy smirk and leaned in closer and whispered back into his ear.
"I could consider it. The idea is not repulsive, but..." she smirked. "I'll have to let you know before the evening is over. Ask me then to see if my mind is made up."

Because yes or no just wouldn't do, and perhaps she could give him an answer after their little romp in the cellar.
After all, why court a boy who might kiss horribly? She stared at his lips a moment, wondering how they'd taste. But oh, would it not be scandalous for her to just kiss him infront of everyone? Her pink eyes went to his, shimmering with mischief.

Zero

Gabriel loved the way Valia looked when she blushed, even more he loved that he was the cause of that blush. As well brought up as he may be, the Coleridge son was still a young man, and was not immune to the hormones that all adolescent males had to contend with. Since the moment he'd arrived, Gabriel had started shamelessly flirting with Valia, and admittedly with other young women at the party, but now he was determined to enter into a courtship with the beauty that was pressed against his chest as they danced.

Many courtships ended in a marriage proposal, after a respectable period of becoming familiar with their potential bride. It was a huge step to make. So when she whispered her response into his ear, while slightly disappointed, he could understand her hesitation. Keeping his head lowered, he replied softly. "Of course, take the evening to consider it, but please don't keep me waiting too long, I fear a woman as fair as you will not remain without many suitors for very long. I only hope that I can win your heart over any other."

Perhaps that was laying it on a little too thick, but Gabriel wished to do as his father wanted, and also he found himself more and more liking the idea of eventually taking the overly pink lady as his wife. She was gorgeous, and they would produce very beautiful children. He had truly begun to worry that she might find a more appealing suitor.

As his green eyes gazed into her mischievous pink ones, however, he couldn't help but feel just a little bit hopeful. Valia could have any man in the room wrapped around her finger in a heartbeat, but she seemed to have chosen him for the time being.

visualspice

The game was on.  Now that she had Gavrel.. Garnel... Gatrelle? Whatever his name was, Coleridge, within her clutches, she could spend the evening working at getting him to become more or less her slave. She would make him beg for that courtship if it killed her. After all, it would be fun to have her future husband eating from the palm of her hands...
and who knew? Maybe, if she was lucky, she'd learn a few lessons about him when she took him up on his offer to travel down, alone and unescorted, to the wine cellar much later that evening.

For now, the dance had ended, and she obliged him the best she could.
"I will try to be prompt in my reply," she said, grinning as mischievous as a fox before curtsying and pardoning herself when another dance partner approached.
"It has been lovely,"S he told him, lifting her hand for him to kiss before she took off and danced with many other men that evening that her legs began to feel like noodles. She finally took a rest, disappearing amongst another sea of male admirers as she enjoyed a few drinks of strawberry wine. And she was quite happily floating on cloud nine.
She was drunk. She was surrounded by men- all laughing and happy and seeming to be employing thoughts of courtship about her- though none had been so bold as the Coleridge boy to openly state it. She had come to wonder where Gabriel had gone.

That was it. His name.. wasn't it? Her mind swirled a bit beneath the bubbly feel of the alcohol. Where had he gone anyways? And was he jealous and yearning for her attentions? he had better be, or she might change her mind about the cellar and snatch up somebody else. After all, her hormones were coming on full swing, as was her flirtations, and maybe of the men nearby her had some trouble keeping their eyes on her face.

Zero

Gabriel was reluctant to let Valia go, but he kissed her hand as she curtesied and excused herself. It would have served no purpose to argue or cause a scene, and so he watched as she took off dancing with other men. He was surprised by his own jealousy. Valia did not belong to him, not yet. That thought did little to comfort him and certainly didn't make him want her any less. What he was getting into, he had no idea, but sooner or later he was going to find out that there was a lot more to the young lady than what met the eyes.

Actually, as the evening wore on, his mood just seemed to sour. Most notably because it seemed every man was fawning over Valia and not being at all shy about leering at her. Also, she didn't seem to mind the attention at all. Why she should not enjoy being paid attention to, he couldn't say for certain. Perhaps the sheer level of attention, or the nature of it. He hated how the men's eyes, not excluding his own, kept moving down to her cleavage.

Rachael had found him again and tried to simper on his arm as she had before. Gabriel waved her off in annoyance. She was becoming more than a little annoying, and she kept trying to flirt with him, more than he should like. A few coy smiles, that was fine, but hanging off him like she owned him was more than he could take. A few more glasses of wine steadied his nerves somewhat as he watched Valia dance again and again.

He thought to try to cut in again, but the sheer number of men trying to dance with her made it hard to even get near her. Finally she had stopped dancing, only to drink. Gabriel kept a keen eye on her, and noticed that she seemed to have consumed more than her fair share of wine. The fear of a less than noble man taking advantage of her in a disoriented state crossed his mind and he finally pushed his way past the other men.

"Lady Valia," He bowed and offered his hand. "Would you indulge me in a stroll with some fresh air?" Gabriel had drunk a bit more wine than he had originally intended, but he was still steady enough and his voice did not slur.

visualspice

Whirling around at the sound of the voice, she was taken back that Gabriel had found her. But she quickly smirked and accepted his hand. It was as if on cue that he had returned to her, and her grin grew even smugger as she took a few more daring steps nearer to him so that their bodies were almost pressed.

"Some fresh air would be lovely. This room has become quite stuffy and overcome with guests." Stepping away from her hoard of men, as if they meant nothing to her, she nodded to her 'rescuer' and hooked her arm into his.  "Then perhaps we could check out that fresh cider in the cellar." She added, her eyes drinking him in and wondering how long it would take her to get her hands beneath his shirt... and pants.  One fun thing about nobility were the layers- though they were cruel in these such games, it added to the fun and somewhat dangerous frustration in the game Valia wished to play.

Zero

"Very stuffy." Gabriel grinned as Valia looped arms with him and he lead her away from her crowd of suitors, no doubt to some of their displeasure. That thought alone brightened his mood. He had her all to himself again, which is exactly how he wanted it. If this was the girl he was going to court, then he certainly didn't want to share her attention. Hope still bubbled in him that she would agree to it. Of course, he could always just ask her father anyway, but he really would rather Valia want him than try to press himself upon her.

Once they had broken away from the party a little, his eyes glinted playfully as he let his eyes roam over her again. Gabriel felt only slightly guilty that he'd been silently condemning the other men for doing the exact same thing. With him it was different, though, he assured himself. "Now about that cider..."

visualspice

The cool air outside was refreshing to her skin, but she was still flushed all over from exertion, that- and she was drunk and quite content to be hanging onto this handsome man's arm. She did note the way he eyed her up, but feigned ignorance. After all, she did like that sort of attention, and he'd get a better view later when they had some more private areas to themselves.
As they walked, she idly fanned at her face, but when the man brought up the cider, she smirked. Perhaps they should just cut right to the chase. She leaned in, her hips hitting against his side as she whispered, "If we cut across the gardens, we could come in around to a side door,t hen slip through the kitchen and be down there before anyone would notice we are gone."s he informed him, her own eyes still sparkling at the prospect.

He had no idea. And Valia planned to be ruthless in her assaults, her mind bubbly and floating freely from the alcohol. Ah yes, this day would turn out to be just as fan as planned, if not..a nd she played her cards right, even better.

Zero

As badly as Gabriel had wanted to have Valia all to himself, now that he had her alone as they walked through the gardens, he was at a bit of a loss as to what to do. They had both consumed probably a little more wine than they should have, and just being alone out in the garden was a little inappropriate. They weren't even officially courting yet.

Of course, Gabriel wasn't stupid, he knew plenty of things he could be doing with Valia once they were safely tucked away in a private corner. Connlaothian noblewomen were expected to be virgins on their wedding night, the men had no such stipulation, and as long as they were discreet, no one called attention to it. He'd kissed a few of the young maids, practiced his charming ways on the young servant girls, but they were not ladies. He couldn't very well go kissing her in some corner without causing a stir.

Didn't stop him from wanting to, though. Surely Valia's lips would be far sweeter than any silly maid. He grinned at her directions and changed course, heading for the cellar. If there was no risk of being caught, and she was willing, then there couldn't be much trouble in few harmless kisses. He was confident that they would be entering into an official courtship before the night was over anyway.

"I'm really glad I came to your party, Lady Valia. Although, there should be a lot of wine down in the cellar, so now that we're free of the rest of the party, maybe we can have a little party of our own." Green eyes were gleaming playfully, mouth twisted into a lop-sided grin. That was perhaps the most indecent suggestion that had ever crossed his mind, let alone spilled out of his mouth. Yes, definitely should have switched to water a few glasses ago.

Tags: