Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sweet and Sour (M)

Started by visualspice, March 15, 2013, 08:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Valia kept her face turned away, her jaw set, though her face was still burning, as was her body, when the young man had been nibbling at her neck. There was a fire in her eyes, of anger and of passion, so when she had thoroughly digested his question she spat out, "Of course I had a plan!" but then the silence that followed most certaintly would assure him: No, of course she did not.
But she kept those pink eyes away, staring off into the forest as she was bounced along grumpily from where she sat upon the horse, still gripping onto Gabriel, still afraid to be dropped.

"And about weddings and things, I know it's meant to be, those things happen. but I was just hoping for a little while longer, that's all. You know, with the engagement." she said with a grumpy fluff of her hair. Sighing, she then added, flicking out her wrists. "Besides, at least now I can gloat to my older sister I shall be wed before her." She gave a sniff, nose still to the air though her eyes were closed in her snootiness, she didn't notice the lower branch over head as it suddenly scraped into her hair, snatching into it and taking hold.

Gasping, she found the pull of her hair and the forward movement of the horse had her forcefully pushed back into Gabe and with a gasp she demanded, "STOP! STOP! STOP THE HORSE!"S he winced, kicking her legs about while her eyes began tearing up, as she clung onto her immensely long golden hair, and once the poor man would obey her, she turned back to look at the flowign stream of her hair, now held taunt and pulling, and still very much entangled upon the tree that had reached it wicked branches out to snatch it.

"My hair! My hair!"s he exclaimed, seeming about ready to cry.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Gabriel could get used to this. Valia was gripped onto him and he held her close, breathing in her scent. The blush on her face only proved more seductive and he found himself once more lusting after her, but this time his mind was clear. It had definitely not been just the alcohol that had gotten him into trouble, he decided. Maybe her attitude was trying, but physically all the attraction he would ever need was there. Plus he found something about her refreshing. Annoying, but strangely alluring.

He gave a soft chuckle when she snapped at him. She could slap him, hit him, and berate him all she wanted. Gabriel had the patience of a saint. Or so he'd been told. When Valia said that she knew it was 'meant to be' he wasn't quite sure how to respond to that. Did she mean she knew she was meant to marry him or just that she was meant to marry? That was a thought he didn't even want to begin to contemplate, so he instead focused on something else. "I completely understand about wanting more time. This is all kind of sudden."

What was also sudden was the tree branch that tangled in Valia's hair, and smacked him on the forehead. Served him right for not paying attention, but ow. Then he snapped back to attention when he realized Valia was snagged, with a quick nudge of his boot, the horse stopped and took a few steps backward. "I'm sorry, just hold still a second, I'll get it."

Gabriel grabbed the tangled hair and pulled it towards Valia to hopefully keep it from hurting so much, then his other hand reached up to gently pull the hair free as best he could, trying to do as little damage as possible to the golden strands.

visualspice

Valia was visibly cringing as well as whimpering and whining as Gabriel moved to free her hair. It hurt and pinched and pulled, but eventually the man had it free. Taking the lock of hair, which was now frayed and full of tree bark and other tree bits, she pouted.
"Gods, this will take at least another thousand brush strokes to get it shining again!" And it look as though poor Valia was about to cry. Her hair! Her poor, beautiful, golden, bountiful, long, flowing, luxurious and radiant as the sun, hair!
"LOOK AT IT!"s he wailed dramatically, clutching it into her hands as her eye began to well up. "Some of the strands are broken! Even ruined! ABSOLUTELY RUINED!" and she wailed again. "What sort of lady has terrible dirt in her hair or frizzes like that!?"
The ugly ones, that's who! Oh, and she could have cried at the thought.

The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Gabriel had tried, he really had, but regardless of his efforts, her hair did suffer a few minor damages; nothing major, certainly nothing to get all fussy over. Of course, this was Valia. He winced at her wailing, the sound grated on his nerves, and his poor, poor ears. Now, Gabriel knew that women could get fussy over their appearance, he had two sisters, after all, but Valia was surely overreacting.

"Valia it isn't ruined.  You'll wash your hair and brush it and nobody will even notice. A few misplaced strands of hair aren't going to kill you." A bunch of hay in both of their hair hadn't seemed to bother her at all, now she was going to bemoan a tiny bit of bark and dirt? She was being ridiculous. Well, when he did marry Valia, at least he knew he'd better prepare for an extremely, absurdly, high maintenance wife. It really didn't surprise him.

"Just calm down, everything will be fine. I hope. You've run off from home with me and it's your hair you're worried about." Really, he wasn't sure if he should laugh or cry.

visualspice

Valia gave a huff, abandoning her hair drama for the moment as she glared at him.
"Well that's easy for you to say! Your hair ca be a mess and you'll still look hot."
She turned away from him, still angry, as she folded her hands against across her chest, this time not intentionally plumping up her chest, however, it happened anyways.
"Let's just bet out of these miserable woods and off somewhere else. Anywhere, I don't care. Just pick a location and go." She sighed and settled back against him, still pouting a bit as she kept her eyes forward and her grip about him still fierce.
Damn horses. Seriously- why did anyone ever invent riding on this stinky things?

Zero

Gabriel could only shake his head. Everything about Valia was vain and superficial, wasn't it? So he could be a little scruffy and still be attractive, but unless everything was perfect about her appearance, she wasn't? That made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Rolling his eyes he nudged the horse forward once more, keeping one hand around her waist so as to help keep her from falling. "If you ask me, you still look amazing with your hair a little tussled."

The things he did for...well, love wasn't the right word at all, was it? No, he didn't think he loved Valia, but he did have a sense of duty towards her. They were to be married after all. Also, there was the desire to stay in her good graces so that he could continue to touch and kiss her to his heart's content. "Well, there's a town to the east, but we'll want to get out of the duchy if you're running away. Otherwise guards will just hunt you down that much faster. We could go to Orchy, but then my father would be looking for me." Gabriel pondered their options. He could just take her back home, but that would probably not end well for him.

He headed south. They would have to keep to rural areas for a while, but they could probably escape detection for a while if they really wanted to. Gabriel knew a thing or two about evading attention. Mostly from learning how to ambush enemy troops or to move undetected through hostile territoroy. Things he would need to know if he was to lead his own men into battle someday.

visualspice

Valia's cheeks burned at his words. Well then, there was that. She could say the same about him, but Valia was never one to like to make things easy. For some reason, she didn't want to divulge that she too, found him attractive in that sense, so she simply sniffed and put her nose to the air and waved it off with a flick of fingers through her hair.
"Yes, but what separates a great, noble beauty is her ability to keep her looks unscathed."
And her poor hair-
it took her YEARS to get it that long, refusing to have any of it cut since she was able to give anyone around her a piece of her mind.

So the trek south came with considerable agitation. She'd complain here or there about insects and things along the way, lament still over her hair and grip to Gabriel when the horse was going too fast for her own liking. It wasn't until she saw a small town stretch into view that she gasped and took a hold of Gabriel's arm and tugged.
"Look. There's a town. Now let me off of this beast so I can use my legs. I think I've had enough time on a horse for one day." ANd she scooched a bit within the saddle, antsy to get off.

Zero

Gabriel still thought she was overreacting, but he bit his tongue and let her complain. Their trip was mostly uneventful, Valia would complain, quite a lot, it felt like, but he was sure it wasn't as much as he really thought. Other than that, there was nothing interesting. Trees, brambles, bushes, and more trees. While he could have done without her incessent whining, he did enjoy the moments where she clung to him, and he found himself intentionally encouraging the horse to pick up the pace every now and then. Although he was subtle about it. No need to get her too annoyed with him.

As she griped his arm he nodded, having seen the town before them as well. Of course, he'd known it was there when they first started in this direction, but he was just a little surprised that it had come into view already. He'd rather liked having Valia clinging to him and practically in his lap. Oh well, he hardly needed excuses to be pressed against her. As she squirmed Gabriel shook his head with an eyeroll. If she wanted to walk in heels, then fine.

"Just hang on a second, let me help you down." Ansgar forbid she twist her ankle or something. He slid out of the saddle smoothly then turned and held out his arms for her.

visualspice

Perhaps she was too antsy to be getting off the horse, and the moment Gabriel had dismounted, she was ready to throw herself clean at him. So when his arm came out, she snatched onto it hastily and wriggled against the saddle as she dismounted, only to find herself misjudging how hard she pushed off and found herself crashing into Gabriel's chest as she fell into him with an 'oof!' Blinking, she pushed herself up and out of his arms. She was feeling smothered by him, and well, more precisely, by him and the horse (yes, as irrational as that sounds), but with a 'hmph' she attempted to take a step while smoothing out her hair, stating, "I can walk fine by myself, I'm just not used to-" only to find her legs had turned into jello from the long ride and her heel connected at the wrong angle, so with a gasp, Valia's legs buckled and she was going down.

OOC: Valia-t he girl who is more problems than she's worth XD

Zero

Gabriel would have laughed if he had known that Valia thought he was being smothering. She was the one that had ordered him to help her run away. As it was, he grinned as she fell into his chest in her hurry to get off the horse. When she pushed away from him with her haughty attitude, he let her go, watching her as she soon was falling. A long ride could be brutal on the legs, especially when you weren't used to it. He knew it, and let her find out the hard way.

He didn't even try to catch her as she fell. If she wanted to be stubborn and ungrateful, then fine. It wasn't like falling down would kill her, although he was sure he was about to be thoroughly berated. Or maybe not, sometimes it was hard to tell. Still, he hid a smirk as he turned and took off his cloak and scarf.

visualspice

Down into the dirt she went, as a puff of dust swelled up around her. Tiny pebbles and sticks had dug into her hands and embedded themselves into her skin. Her hair was in a mess, tangled this way and that, so when she raised her head up after pushing herself to her knees she gave a sharp cry of impotence, then was quick to her feet, angrily stomping her feet about, starting to tantrum right in front of Gabriel.
"I thought you were a man!" she said, clobbering him suddenly before drawing away, venom in her eyes. "Aren't gentleman supposed to help a lady!? You didn't even try to catch me!"s he hissed. Oh she was mad, and her entire face was pink from it.

Zero

Gabriel couldn't stop himself from laughing. In some ways she was the wildest girl he'd ever met, and yet, in other ways she was the most uptight, hateful bitch he had ever met. "But you said you could walk fine! I just assumed that you would be able to manage a step without needing me to swoop in. Besides, I think I've held your hand quite enough for the day. Run away, honestly, you couldn't run ten feet without getting caught if I wasn't there."

He held out his scarf and cloak to her, she'd asked for them earlier and he hadn't given them up, but if they were going into town, his clothes stood out a lot less than hers would. "Here, cover up a bit, you're going to get recognized, or assulted." Yeah, that's just what he needed. Then again, knowing her she'd probably like it if some town drunk tried to paw all over her, that thought came to him sourly.

visualspice

Valia glared daggers at him. She could have slapped him, but she resisted the urge as she snatched the cloak and scarf from his hand.
"As if I really need your help!" she sniffed, dusting off the dirt from her pink dress with an irritated sigh. "Besides, I'm running away because of you, so if you'll kindly return back to where ever you've come from," she began, after having secured the cloak over herself, it covering most of herself, except the peeping of her pink skirts at the bottom, before taking the scarf and hooking it around her neck a few times as she began to walk off.
"I hardly am in need of your escort any further." ANd with her nose to the air, she began to stomp off towards the town.
Really, the nerve of him!

Zero

"Because of me? Oh no, don't even go there, Valia. I didn't get us into this mess. You were the one that just couldn't keep your hands off me. You knew we were about to get caught but you just couldn't wait and be a proper lady about it. I'm also not the one who forced us into an engagement. Do you really think I want to marry you in a month?"

Gabriel followed her, he wasn't about to let her just walk off after that. Besides, no matter how infuriating, annoying, prissy, or bitchy she was, he still felt obligated to keep her safe. He'd been the one to spirit her away, and no matter how much she didn't like it, she was going to be his wife.

visualspice

Valia could not believe the audacity! How DARE he blame this on her! Spinning around, she glared at him, pushing him back then placing her hands to her hips.
"In a month!? HA! Who said we ought to ever get married!? Sure, it was fun, but I like having fun and I'm NOT having fun here right now with you!" she snapped. Whirling around, she continued storming off to town, but then paused and turned to face him.
"And another thing, you might be a good kisser, a good looker, but you don't know the first thing about courtship. Women need their space!" she said with a sniff, then turned her nose up and made her way right into town.

That ought to show him. She liked her freedom, her ability to make people listen and crumble at her command. But now that this Gabriel GHOULridge boy was hounding her, she was beginning to like him about as much as she liked a mosquito bite! Hmph! ANd to think he was SPYING on her outside her window! The nerve of him!

Keeping herself as far in front of him as hse could (which sadly, probably wasn't very far), she huffed along the streets, needing to pause to catch her breath. Gods, it was hot with this costume on. She fanned off her face with her hand, wondering, with idle interesting where she ought to go next when she saw an enormous barrel full of apples. Her eyes lit up. She was famished. So she walked clean over and helped herself to a one, munching away happily hwne the vendor turned around to notice.

"Eh? Hey girly-" he said, poking her wiht his stick from where he sat behind his apple cart. "You got money to pay for that?"

Valia wrinkled her nose.
"Pay?" She gave a snort. Ignored the man and went on eating her apple in peace, not realizing what she was doing illegal, and the apple seller was completely baffled the girl just took his apple, snorted and walked off. Turning to the guard that was standing just a few feet away he waved over to him.
"Guards! That woman! She just stole an apple from me!"

Blinking, Valia whirled around, glaring at the man. "Excuse me?" but she was caught red handed, well, red as in it was a red apple in her hand and also the other meaning.. BUT STILL
The guard was quickly moving her way. She was taken back.

"APPLE THIEF!" the man pressed, barking like a yipping dog. It grated on her nerves as she shook her head.

"I'm no thief!" she spat back, but the guard only looked at her sternly, folding his arms heavily over his chest.

"If you're no thief, are you going to pay for that apple, girlie?"

Valia made a face, "What on earth on you talking about? why would I pay that ugly man any money for an apple?" Really.. she hadn't a clue.  BUt that was a signal enough for guard to react, as his massive hand came crushing down upon hers.
"You're coming with me!" he spat,a nd gave a jerk and tugged her along.
"Wait- what!?" Valia looked appalled, then winced as she tried to pull away. "Let go of me! LET GO!" she snapped, and before the poor guard new what was going on, her pink heel stomped onto his foot. The guard let out a shout, grabbing onto his poor foot while releasing Valia's hold.

Stumbling away, she balled her hands into fists.
"That's what you get for-"

"MEN! AFTER HER!" he shouted, and the sound of drawing steel caught her attention from behind, and as she whirled around, three massive, and very armed men, were suddenly approaching her. and not one of them looked very happy, and it wasn't long before they had her surrounded and were man handling her, threatening to take her to jail.

Zero

Gabriel had taken about as much as he was willing to take from Valia. She was infuriating. Everything he had done from the moment he'd met her had been done for her. She had wanted him, even though it was forbidden, Gabriel had given in to her demands. Despite the incredible amount of trouble he was going to be in, when she had wanted to run away, he had helped her. Well at least they could agree on one thing.

"You're right. We shouldn't get married at all. You've got nothing to offer me but a pretty face, which won't last forever. Good luck ever finding a man to actually put up with you. You're the most selfish, spoiled, snobby woman I've ever met! And don't flatter yourself; I'm not trying to court you. We're already engaged, I don't have to impress you anymore, but not for long."

He didn't care what people would say about him, he was going home and demanding that his father call of the engagement immediately. There was no way he was going to be subject to Valia for the rest of his life. Fuming, he let her go. So what if she got caught and dragged home? Once he got back to Orchy he would make his father announce that she wasn't his problem anymore. Climbing back into the saddle he turned and started home. That woman was far more aggravation than she was worth.

visualspice

It all happened so fast. One minute she was attempting to dodge, but her damn high heel got stuck in a stone on the road. The next minute, Valia was being over whelmed by armed guards. They had grabbed onto her roughly, so roughly it made her scream out- not only because they were being so rough and rude, but because her skirts were being torn along the way- and most definitely her hair was going to be in knots after this. Then with a squeak, she was tossed inside the back of a barred wagon, one used to transport criminals to the jail.
"Wait- do you even know who I am!?" Valia spat, attempting to scrambling to get out of the wagon, but the door was slammed clean in her face. The guards laughed.

"Save your breath for the jailor, girly. We're taking you and locking you up in a cell. You have to learn to respect the merchants. We do not take kindly to thieves around here."

Valia blinked, then quickly grew mad as her hands clutched onto the bars of the wagon cart.
"LET ME OUT! I AM THE DAUGHTER OF DUKE HAROLD AND HE WILL HAVE YOUR HEAD ON A PIKE IF HE CATCHES YOU-"

The guard suddenly was laughing, as were the entirity of them, and each time they laughed, it made their armor clang together, creating an interesting series of noise. Valia was taken back by their laughter. Did they not believe her!?
The head guard approached the wagon, eyeing her up.

"You might be a pretty little thing, but I'm hardly going to believe you're the daughter of a Duke, After all, what would Lady Valia or Kathryn be doing all the way out here? Besides, I'd think the daughters of a duke would know better. ANd not wear such hideous clothes."

That did it- rage over took her as a hand came out and clawed at his eye, sending the man reeling back.
"YOU IMPOTENT FOOL!"s he roared, baring her teeth, and that little outburst was enough to force the guard to throw the wagon door clean open, and the rage in his eyes terrified Valia to the bone. She backed away, pressing herself against the back of the cell,but he came for her, grabbing at her arm and throwing her to the dirt and drawing out a whip.

"I'll SHOW YOU SOME MANNERS YOU LITTLE BEGGAR!" the man roared, cracking his whip up into the air and ready to pelt her clean across the back with it.

Zero

Gabriel had hardened his resolve and washed his hands of Valia. Every step his horse took he reminded himself that she wasn't his problem, and that she wasn't worth more trouble than she'd already gotten him into. The best thing he could do would be to go home, ask his father for forgiveness for his transgressions thus far, and insist on ending the farce of an engagement. Oh his father would not be happy about it, and he was sure that neither would Duke Harold, but he wasn't going to marry a woman that was going to make him miserable for the rest of his life, given the chance.

He didn't get very far before he stopped again. Valia was a horrible person, but she was liable to get herself into more trouble. Why should he care? So what if she got in trouble, it would be no more than she deserved. Even as he thought it he felt horrible. Gabriel was not a heartless person, and even if Valia was rude and hateful to him, he really didn't want anything bad to happen to her. Besides, he'd helped her escape Highheart, if something happened to her because he left her there it would be his fault.

With a sigh he turned again and headed back for the town. She was going to yell at him again, remind him just how much she didn't want him around, but he had to make sure she was alright. He would just check on her, he told himself, and then he could head home and tell his father everything. When Gabriel rode into town there was quite a scene going on, there was a jailor's wagon, and a small group of guards gathered around someone on the ground. One of them had a whip in his hand.

Immediately he knew it was Valia on the ground. He'd been right to worry about her; fool girl had definitely gotten herself into trouble. Quite a lot of it, it seemed like. There wasn't a lot of time to think things through, so threw himself off the horse and pushed past the other guards and placed himself between the whip and Valia. "Stop you fools! How dare you raise a whip to a lady!"

visualspice

Everything happened so fast. The whip was raised, she drew back in a flinch and when Gabriel stepped into view, she let out a scream the moment the whip cracked across his chest. It was only then the guardsman realized what he had done and he was taken back, gripping the whip more tightly in his hand as he stared at the boy.
"You are a fool! Why did you step in the way?" the guard snarled.
"Yeah, she was stealing apples from a local vendor. Everyone knows the penalty around here for stealing is a few months and jail and a good lashing!" Another guard added in.
Though Valia, for once in her life, had no whits about her to offer her normally, jabbing two cents. She merely remained on the ground, eyes fragile with tears, her entire body shaking, her eyes glued to the cut now open in Gabriel's chest, the blood there evident as it seeped out onto his clothes.
The only thing she could think of was - 'Gods! They had really meant to strike me!'

Zero

Gabriel honestly had expected the guard to stop when he had commanded him to. Maybe he shouldn't have, considering how far from home he was, but he was used to his orders being followed. At first he felt no pain, instead staring at the guard in shock. Blinking his large green eyes, he looked down at his chest, where the whip had cut through cloth and skin alike. The fool had actually struck him! He raised a hand to tenderly touch the wound, and gasped softly as the burning pain set in. He'd never been whipped before, had seen people whipped, but never felt the bite himself. His fingers came away tainted with blood.

Fury overcame his features. How dare this common sot hit him. That strike had been meant for Valia, he reminded himself, but that only proved to anger him further. "How dare you call me a fool, you blundering idiot!" Gabriel practically roared the words. "You were about to strike Lady Valia, daughter of Duke Harold, and my future wife!" Okay, he had forgotten for a moment that he meant to call off the engagement, but he was too angry to think about that. "I could have your head for this! I am Gabriel Coleridge, son of Duke Micah Coleridge, and heir to the duchy of Orchy."