Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Falls on Deaf Ears (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, April 25, 2014, 02:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

A subtle shift rippled through his expression, and he frowned slightly even as he regarded his old friend with a neutral expression of vague alarm and curiosity...as if realizing there was something off but unable to put his finger on what.

"I killed the girl and set her body to the torch myself."

visualspice

Calent released a sigh.
"Very good. Now shall we be starting this tour? I'd like to see the damages here myself."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

The pair moved through the city, much of it still in disrepair.  Audric had thrown all of his energy into first rebuilding the harbor wall, which was now well under way.  He thought they would make it before it began to snow -- if their luck held out.

The tour was given with a chilly tone, very unlike Audric's usual attitude towards his friend.  It seemed directly almost exclusively in Calent's direction; Audric often paused to chat with workers, guards, and citizens, to make inquiries and to pass out some coin where needed.

Angsar take Calent and his willing blindness!  Audric himself was as against mages as any Allaran -- but there came a time when one had to examine more pressing threats...instead of continuing to chase something that might not even come to pass.

visualspice

Calent tried to be ignorant of Audric's coldness towards him. After all, the two had a lot on their plates, though as the day stretched onward, the blatant lack of respect was wearing him thin.

"So it seems most of the valley lands are ruined," Calent mused, sighing tiredly as the pair remained upon the crest of hill, looking outward towards the roaring ocean. His eyes went distant as he became lost in thought before murmuring.
"A lot of crops were lost." He pursed his lips. This did not bode well for winter time, and the crops elsewhere could not be spared, not even for the Grand Duke's own duchy. Sighing, he turned back towards Audric.

"I suppose you've contacted Serendipity?" he inquired. "We'll want to establish some extra trade with them to help ensure the people here do not starve to death."
Be it now.. or in the on coming winter.
Again he turned away, eyes lost back to the sea.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"I received a letter yesterday from my sister promising supplies.  She's in Serendipity now with several of her ships laden with commodities for market.  It's a high price to pay, but she's been generous."  Besides, her business was tied to the economy of Allar; should it falter, she would lose as much as anyone.

Audric sighed softly as he peered out as well, reflecting heavily on the toll of life and supply the flood -- their secret -- had cost them all.  But he was dedicated to this course of action now and could no more take those actions back than he could change the weather...

visualspice

"Good," Calent said with a brief nod. "I'll draw up some tax documents and we figure out the numbers and see how much additional aid I can send in financially, from the capital. It'll be another tax increase, but it is necessary for times like this."

Ivory

"You should try to put it out of your mind, as much as you can.  You have other things to think of."    Leaning forward on his elbows, he asked, finally, "How is Kathryn?"

The woman was heavily pregnant, after all...  He'd heard her little misadventures earlier in the year had not had a lasting affect on her health -- or that of the child's -- but one never knew with these things.  Having a child -- a healthy child -- would do her a world of good, or so he imagined.  It might even make Calent less dour, who knew?

visualspice

"If I am lucky, she'll have the child when I return. She is doing well, healthy as ever, perhaps a bit short, but that is to be expected," he replied simply. "Do you have your ledgers I can see on the damages?"

Ivory

Audric gave a slight nod.  His eye had caught something a while ago....and that something needing to be addressed.

"In my office.  You know where to find it, I trust?  I'll just be a moment...  I've got to go tuck my son into bed."  He offered his old friend a smile even as he lied through his teeth.

But Leif had been waiting patiently all this time...and if he didn't send Calent away soon, he'd blurt out something he'd probably regret.

visualspice

The second Audric came around the corner, Leif was glaring at him, arms folded across his chest as he scowled.
"Tucking your son into bed?"
Did he look like his bloody son?

Ivory

Audric's grin was immediate as he regarded his friend.  "What?  You've come all this way to visit, and you aren't staying the night?"

All teasing aside, though, he added, "How is she?"

visualspice

Leif just cut him a look. He was as serious as ever, and still agitated as all hell.
"I.... took her to the church." And before Audric could comment, Leif made a knowing, soured face.
"She has a friend there. A good friend."
A lover.
"I knew she couldn't be any more safe than right under their noses."
And he turned away from him, still scowling.
"Still doesn't make it any less difficult to have done it."

Ivory

Audric's face, rather comically, mirrored Leif's.  He trusted the Church about as far as he could toss a cathedral...

"I'm glad she's alright.  I...tried not to hurt her."  He had, after all, hit her over the head.  That probably didn't sit well with Leif...

Exhaling, he clapped Leif on the shoulder and turned away to lean against the balcony railing.  "I told Calent she's dead -- and that I didn't know the mage who did this.  That's the first lie I've ever told him."  And it hurt -- stung like hell, in fact.  "But he doesn't believe me.  I didn't have a choice."

visualspice

"How long is he staying?" Leif asked, quickly changing the subject.

Ivory

Audric glanced questioningly at Leif for his sudden change of subject, but he didn't comment.  Instead, he said, "With any luck, not long.  His wife is due to give birth any day now, and I imagine he'll want to hurry back to her.  How long are you staying?"

visualspice

Leif released a long, hot sigh.
"I should be getting back to my wife, too. But I couldn't go back. Not yet. Not when I knew what had become of this place."

He went quiet a moment then asked, "Does he believe you? About Attie, I mean. Being dead. And does he know her identity?" He presumed not. Attie was technically dead already. And had a grave to prove it.

Ivory

"He seems to," Audric answered softly.  "As I said, I've never lied to him before.  I've never had cause."  Strange how all that was changing...  "And, as far as he knows, I didn't know who she was.  She's safe, Arrant.  No one knows but the two of us."  And...the Church, apparently.  He still felt uncomfortable with that information...

visualspice

Leif breathed a sigh of relief, buy he still stood there, anxiously keeping his hands into fists.
"So how is the city? It seems most of the waters have subsided."

Ivory

"Healing," Audric answered honestly.  "The work on the harbor wall is almost done, as long as they don't encounter any problems.  And I'm doing what I can for the people..."  He sighed softly, then turned to Leif with a joking smile.  "I don't suppose you have a few thousand gold you're willing to lend the State.  Or some food.  It's going to be a tough winter."

visualspice

"Sure, just let me steal my father's coin purse." Leif shook his head, but afforded the sort of smile a man like he could muster. "But I'll see what I can do." And he paused a moment before frowning. "I'm going to have a lot to explain to my wife."