Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Congratulations - It's a Girl!

Started by Ivory, June 24, 2014, 12:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

The scene that greeted Calent's return was one of chaos.  Though the guards outside the palace had remained silent and firm at their posts, inside was an entirely different world as everyone, it seemed, rushed back and forth with fresh linens and with water...and most of them seemed so intent on their work that Calent's presence was all-but ignored.

It wasn't until Calent was much closer to the Grand Duchess's room that he would hear that agonized scream of a woman in the midst of a hard labor accompanied by the voice of the doctor rising about her's in encouragement or instruction.

Inside, Kathryn was exhausted -- like both of the child's parents, this baby was stubborn, and that was already apparent.  Wasn't the second labor supposed to be easier?  Instead, it seemed to be taking forever...and the fact that the baby had tried to come into the world backwards, well...it hadn't helped.

Kathryn was allowed to rest at last as the screams of a baby brought a whole new level of pandemonium to the room.  She sagged back against the pillows and smiled tiredly up at the ceiling first, then at the child as it was put into her arms.

The baby was screaming loud enough to be heard halfway across Connlaoth, Kathryn thought -- but she was too exhausted, really, to care.  A screaming baby wasn't likely to keep her awake at this point...

"Congratulations, your Grace.  Your wife has given you a healthy baby girl."

For half a second, it didn't register that the doctor was speaking to someone else; Kathryn was too startled by the fact her son -- the baby who had survived being poisoned several months back -- was a girl.  Her eyes lifted, then, in surprise to land on the figure of her husband in the doorway.

Just how long had he been standing there, she wondered.  She hadn't expected him back so soon -- his trips to Allar were usually much longer, even the ones for business...

visualspice

The chaos in his palace had ballooned into something grand, and even he hadn't the spirit nor desire to bark the command to have things set into proper order. But he knew what this meant- and he hesitated not to be guided away and into the room- and in the door way he paused, frozen stock still at the sudden cry of the baby and the announcement made soon after as he had entered the room.

A girl.
His wife just gave birth to a baby girl.

And he hadn't even a chance to spare his wife one look as they retrieved the baby from her and placed it directly into his arms.

The child, which was writhing but a second ago and barely washed of it's afterbirth, continued to cry in his arms as he studied her reddening face.

A girl, a baby girl.
And after a moment's hesitation, his green eyes softened as he moved across the room wtih her in his arms, then took a seat upon the bed, and only then did the child's crying turn to cooes as it calmed and the Grand Duke raised his eyes unto his wife and offered her back the child.

"A daughter," he told her, in barely a whisper. "Have you thought of a name?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"I'd expected a son," Kathryn answered softly and honestly.  The child settled back into her arms, and, as she gazed down at her, a soft, tired smile formed on her face.  It was a beautiful child, and she could already feel the strength in the child's arms as she squirmed into a comfortable position against her mother.  "But, I think I'd like to call her Myla, if you don't mind.  I've always loved that name..."

Lifting her eyes from the child to her husband, she studied him in silence a moment.  But there was no sense in hesitating -- not really.  That same smile re-emerged to shine upon him, still beautiful in spite of how thoroughly exhausted Kathryn felt.  "Thank you.  For being here."

visualspice

Calent leaned forward to kiss at her sweaty temple, brushing hair from her face.
"I just wish I could have been here sooner. Sometimes it's a curse to be who I am," he murmured, and his lips met to hers.

"Myla..." he went on, his hand taking hers as he squeezed it gently. "A fine name for a find child. She will be our pride as she grows, as beautiful as her mother."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"I think she's going to be a handful."  Kathryn leaned her head against her husband's shoulder.  It seemed amazing how easily she could simply enjoy the moment.  Part of her wanted to ask if Calent was going to be involved with Myla this time -- or if it would all fall on her again.  But she was too tired for an argument...and arguing wouldn't change him anyway, would it?

"How are things in Allar?"

visualspice

"I think she'll be perfect," he said, sweeping away and then kissing his wife's hair. And at her last statement, he went quiet.
"Chaos... but Audric will manage," he murmured. "For now, let's think on the chaos of our baby girl. How about Myla Kathryn Allarrick? For her full name, I mean."

Ivory

Not to be swayed?  Now, that was unusual...

Kathryn caught herself staring, then lowered her gaze back to the child with a smile.  "That's lovely.  But I might be a little prejudiced, don't you think?"

What in the world had gotten in to him?  Their relationship had been healing, it was true, but for him to take even a momentary interest in their child...  It was something she had never expected.  And she wished there was something she might do to make him understand how much it meant to her...

"Calent, I..."  Well, how could she express herself without tripping over her words and making it seem an insult?  Instead, she changed her mind to something else, something simpler.  "I love you."  And hope he realized just how much she wanted to convey in those three little words.

visualspice

Calent was admiring their child when she spoke those words, and soon his eyes rose to meet hers. He studied her face for a good long while before his features softened and he leaned forward to kiss her softly, sweetly.
"As I love you," he told her.
"Do you need to rest? I can have the maids tend to the child. I know the stress of birth is not easy on a woman."

Ivory

"Yes," Kathryn answered softly with an answering smile for his affection.  "I should, I suppose.  And she'll want to rest as well, I imagine."  After all, birth was stressful on the child as well...  "And you too."  Coming back so quickly...  It would have tired out a normal man.  Calent, though, wasn't likely to rest for long -- he never did.

Once the child was taken from her, she slipped back down beneath the heavy blankets...and, all too soon, she was fast asleep, too exhausted, even, to dream.

Tags: