Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Doorway... {Ethereal-Star}

Started by Kalak8538, December 11, 2015, 08:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalak8538

It was truly an impressive doorway.

Double doors stood on the side of the cobblestone road, against the tree line. Along with the rows of oak and cedar trunks, the doors made the road seem more like a long corridor. The door itself was bright white, and almost seemed to radiate its own light. Or rather, everything around it seemed to dim. There were definitely traces of powerful magic in the air, although the exact kind of magic was masked by some unknown force. Intricate patterns were carved into the wood, and its hinges and knobs glittered in a bright gold. It stood alone, with no wall to support it. The backside of it was exactly the same as the front. It seemed like it could be open in either direction, normally impossible for such doorways. The whole thing simply defied logic.

The twin doors gave off an inviting aura. It wanted to be opened. There was some wonderful mystery inside. A new world that many would believe was impossible to exist. It waited there for someone, anyone, or perhaps... a group of anyones to enter.

Ethereal-Star

"Astra, wait up darnit!" A young woman with waist-length black hair tied back in a ponytail yelled out, rushing hurriedly after her sister. Onyx cursed as she tripped over a loose branch on the ground and nearly fell flat on her face, but her hands caught and steadied her so she didn't suffer too much of an injury. Her hands were now effectively scraped, and a cut ran down her left palm. Just a minor one but it would have to wait until she caught up with her twin. Onyx and Astra were fraternal twins, not identical so it would be plenty easy to tell who was who. Getting back up, she resumed her run and soon caught up with her sister.

"Slow poke." Astra teased her, grinning. "I told you I'm the faster runner of the two of us."

Onyx rolled her eyes, as she really didn't care at this point who was faster or not. Looking down at her hand, she opened her bag and retrieved a cloth and some bandages and began cleaning the cut on her hand.

"I'm sorry, Onyx!" Astra exclaimed upon seeing her sister's mild injury. "I didn't mean for you to get hurt!"

"It's alright, Astra. It's just a little scrape." Onyx answered for her, soon finishing up. Getting up again, slinging her pack over one shoulder and checking to make sure her crossbow and dagger were still with her, the pale-skinned girl looked around, her eyes narrowing in confusion. "Where are we Astra?"

Her sister looked around as well, brushing a wayward strand of white-blond hair out of her face as she did. "I don't know. We must have gone farther than I originally thought. Oops!" she stated, not looking sorry at all, a sheepish grin on her face followed up by a twinkling gleam in her eyes. "But now that we're here, let's look around!"

"Might as well." Onyx muttered, trudging after her. To be honest, that run had tired her out. Exploring 'here' or wherever here actually was, was interesting to say the least. The trees around them looked pretty old to Onyx, older than most of what the two normally came across. She was pretty sure they hadn't been here before.

Walking further, Onyx noticed something rather strange. Well, rather felt something strange. Astra stopped, sensing it as well. A magical hum was thrumming through the area as though there was magic nearby. And of course, magic meant adventure and that they should explore more. "Do you feel that?" Onyx asked, even though she was pretty sure she already knew the answer.

Astra didn't respond, only rushed up further ahead on the path to see what the source of this thrumming was. Onyx followed behind her. Soon, they came upon a door. And it was obvious this was the source of the energy output they were feeling. The door positively oozed magic from every inch of it. Astra reached out a hand to touch the door, but Onyx grabbed her hand to stop her from doing so. "What are you doing?!" she asked her sister worriedly.

Astra snatched her hand back with a look of annoyance. "Isn't it obvious? I'm gonna open the door." she stated, reaching out her hand again, only to be stopped once more by her sister. "Do you mind?" she sniped at Onyx.

"There's no telling what's behind the door, Astra." Onyx tried to explain. "For all we know this is a one-way portal to nowhere."

"Oh sheesh, don't be so dramatic!" Astra rolled her eyes. "Besides isn't this all the more reason to explore it? What if we need to investigate this? To prevent people from disappearing?"

"Since when are you the heroic type?" Onyx questioned her, looking at her out of the corner of her eye while still examining the door. "Oh, never mind, don't answer that." Inspecting the door some more, Onyx frowned. "There's something really really strange about this."

"Well, duh, I could've told ya that." Astra teased sarcastically.

Onyx continued her examination of the door. "I'm not sure about this Astra. Let's just go. I don't mind exploring things and all, but I have a bad feeling about this."

"Oh, c'mon, Onyx! Don't be such a party pooper! This door is just begging us to open it! Can't you hear it?"

Indeed they both could. It was like an energetic murmur or whisper stating this not in words, but rather in feelings, sensations and inner messages. And where that worried Onyx, only excited Astra. Yet it seemed they would be going in, as the latter was dead set on entering and Onyx would never dare abandon her twin to the unknown. They were in this together. They both looked toward the door again, Astra with extreme curiosity on her fair face as she wondered what was behind it.

Kalak8538

Before long, the doorway began to vanish. The transition was very slow, not being apparent until the trees behind it began to vaguely show through. The light of the forest around it dimmed almost to the point of obscurity. This only seemed to intensify the light emanating from the doors themselves.

The twin doors opened a crack, the result of some unseen force. Between them was only light, revealing nothing of the endless void that lay just inside. A low, almost ghostly voice came from all around. Instead of the ears, it seemed to speak directly to the mind in a calm, welcoming voice.

Not long now... Time is running out. Such a mystery is almost gone...

The doors were opaque now. Little embers of light seemed to come from the wood itself. As time passed, they would become more and more transparent, but still tangible to those who would open them.