Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

They Have Gone [M]

Started by pomelo, March 20, 2016, 06:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pomelo

"Yes," Dahlia answered, with a small and somewhat wry smile, "I do. At least, within the normal bounds of what might be expected for a woman my age."

Dahlia's smile, however, was a thin veneer over her thoughts, and even as the smile lingered on her lips, it left her eyes. Dahlia's gray eyes, watching Edward with an open earnestness, were more serious.

Because Dahlia was strong. And she was smart. And she was practical. At least, smart enough to be practical.

She was silent for a long moment, or a series of long moments, before she asked carefully, "Edward. When I arrived, your manservant said there was a visiting young lady who went missing with the children." She paused only a beat, and it was clear the next question was not only idle curiosity. "Who is she, Edward?"

visualspice

The smile was quick to fade, and the roll of emotion lay clear in his eyes. He turned to look at her, to really look at her before moving a large hand to brush her wild, sex curled hair from her eyes.

"Her name is Lady Rosalie Parks," he began, lips tugging into a thin, firm line. "And she has come to be my intended."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

pomelo

Dahlia's clear gray eyes watched Edward intently as his expression changed and he formed his answer. But she didn't respond to his touch when he brushed a strand of wild blonde curls from her face.

"Yes," she answered after a long moment, "I thought as much." If the confirmation of this news upset her, she didn't exactly show it. Her tone, though carefully modulated, was tired more than anything.

Dahlia's head moved in what might have been the smallest of nods, then she half-rose to sit up, pulling her hair out of the now disheveled bun. Unbound, it made a proper mane of ash blonde curls around her delicate features. Like this, the resemblance between Dahlia and Lily was particularly striking. Dahlia let out a long exhale, pulling her knees up towards her chest.

Of course it was his intended bride. Dahlia had already known that. Not officially, but as good as. And how recent are the arrangements? a voice at the back of her mind asked. And how thoroughly had the Gray family waltzed into Edward's life to turn all of these 'intentions' to chaos.

Dahlia didn't say anything else just then. But she wrapped her arms around her knees, resting her chin there, eyes considering the door on the side of the room. While her mind considered what this all meant. This urgent, unthought, messy and potentially weighty mistake.

visualspice

The weight that she knew disturbed- if only a little. Perhaps the idea he was already engaged and found himself seducing Lady Grey....
It was appalling. How could he have let himself become so foolish? Not only would Lady Parks be gravely hurt by what happened here.... Dahlia....

"I know I'm a fool," he began, studying her form as he frowned. "And I know I deserve no forgiveness for this moment of weakness but I..... I don't think I want to ask for it. Not from you. Not after..... " He cast his eyes downwards, fumbling over the words before deciding upon just stumbling forward as he said, "What we did..... It has been years since I have ever discovered so beautiful as to what we just shared. And in the moment..." he shook his head. "I did not feel a fool. Not at all. Not for a single moment of it."

He moved and fisted a hand, and tapped it over his chest.

"My heart was all into this, Dahlia. It moves, it beats warmly... rapidly.... And it's because of you," he went on, taking her hand and hoping to guide it so she could feel how passionate it was beating, how warm his skin still was after they made love, and how much emotions were glowing inside his eyes.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

pomelo

Edward was a fool. Of that, at this moment, Dahlia was convinced. But she let him take her hand and move to it to his chest. Her gut reaction, which she suppressed, was to yank her hand back away. A vague annoyance flashed momentarily through her mind - though she tried not to show it - because why was he telling her this? What did he think was going to happen? But she knew why he was telling her this: Because he was Edward. Hopelessly earnest, hopelessly serious, hopelessly romantic.

But it would be a lie to say it had not effect on Dahlia. Here he was, holding her hand to his heart, looking at her... like that. The same warm, earnest kindness that had first made an impression on her was there. He was so different. Edward was so proper and dewy-eyed and romantic and prim. Different from her, with her wry sense of humor and pragmatism; very different from her wild and chaotic brothers and sisters; and... so different from Kerry. But then again, not. Kerry was also kind and warm and...

No. Dahlia pushed the thought of him out of her head. And slowly, deliberately removed her hand from Edward's grasp. When she spoke, her voice was also slow and deliberate.

"What we did," she began, mirroring his words, "was a mistake, Edward. We were both emotional, and vulnerable, and have both been alone for a long time. So maybe an understandable one. There's no need for it to leave this room. And you needn't fear that your Lady Parks will hear anything from me." As she spoke, Dahlia kept meaningful eye contact with Edward. So he couldn't misunderstand the full meaning of what she said now, "I only came here for my children, Edward."

visualspice

There was a sparkle of pain in his eyes. His lips trembled lightly, remaining agape until their dryness lead him to lick his lips as he released a breath. The words that came out, careful and guarded, were choked.

"I know."

But he couldn't stop there.
"I know all that. Dhalia, please.... " He shook his head. "This... What happened...us," he went on, reaching for her hand.

pomelo

"'Us', what?" Dahlia snapped back before she could stop herself, eyes flashing. It wasn't, after all, only Lily's temper that had frayed in the long years of the war.

Dahlia wasn't sure exactly what about his words, the way he reached for her hand - which she pulled away from him - that angered her. But her eyes shone defiant, expression set firm. "There isn't an 'us', Edward," she answered, and though there was an edge to her tone, she had the sense to keep her voice down. "What do you expect to happen now? That you would break off your engagement - your engagement," she repeated firmly, " and, what, we could marry so you could fuck me whenever you like?"

That wasn't fair, and maybe Dahlia knew it, but she didn't care just then. Dahlia had stretched her emotion and energy too thin for the past years to care now, in this moment, about whether or not she hurt Edward's feelings. Later, when her temper died down again, she would regret it.

"Edward. I'm sending Lily and Riley to Serendipity. Whether they like it or not." Saying it out loud, it was still surreal to her, and for a moment her harsh expression faltered, but only for a moment. "You can't seriously think that after that, that after... there'd be any room for..." she waved vaguely between them, "this." Whatever 'this' was.

visualspice

The way his expression fell with each bite of her words could never be more true to the stab he felt grind deeper into his heart. Words were stolen from him, his mind a dull edged blade left trembling on his lips.

Was he that much a fool? Was he so blind not to see it?

"I suppose I must beg your forgiveness now," he began, eyes shining with the threat of tears. "For ever portraying myself to be this man you speak so vulgar of." For what else could he say? Her words shattered him to his very core. He stood up and moved for his clothes.

"I suppose I don't deserve it anyway." he gave a sniff, fighting back tears. His pants were on and he moved to his boots, silent as the grave.

"I'll find your children..." he went on, pausing as he was done buttoning up his coat. "Our children.... I made a promise. A man is only good as his word." With his riding cloak in hand, he finally spared her one last look.

"Rest well, Lady Grey." And with a frown, he closed the door.

pomelo

Dahlia watched as he left, carefully closing the door behind him. And as soon as it was closed, she felt herself deflated. What had just happened? Not just the sex - surprising as that was - but all of it. Already her words rang with regret in her mind. Why had she said it like that? It wasn't that she hadn't meant it, but... And it wasn't lost on her that when he bade her good night, it was to 'Lady Gray.'

Pulling her night shirt back up around her, Dahlia collapsed down onto the bed. Why, she wondered, did it feel like her life was always unravelling? Normally she didn't stop for this sort of self-pity, but in that moment, all Dahlia could wonder was why she couldn't seem to catch a break. But she was here, and whatever had just happened with Edward, he wasn't the reason why. Her children were out there. Missing. Finding them; that was what was most important now. But, as she tried to settle into a fitful half-sleep, images of Edward mixed with those of her children's faces as she waited for dawn.

The next morning found Dahlia more composed than the night before, but almost more anxious. She felt like the night before had been, surely, just a dream. But she knew it wasn't. She was up and dressed by dawn. The first thing she needed to do, she knew, was see Edward. And when a manservant brought her into the breakfast room where the lord was taking his first meal, Dahlia was very relieved to find him alone.

The man servant left, and the sound of the door closing behind him felt very, very loud.

For a few moments, Dahlia stood in awkward silence, as if temporarily mute. When she finally found her voice, it was firm, but apologetic, and a little sad. "Edward," she started, not resorting yet to calling him 'Lord Draven', "please let me apologize for my words last night. I spoke terribly out of turn. You know, I hope, that your friendship means a great deal to me."

visualspice

Dahlia hadn't been the only one chewing over her words last night. He hadn't a wink of sleep, even when his body had felt so sated after their ordeal. No... Her words stung him to the bone, and had sunk in deeply and turned all feelings he had of the moment into bitterness, and shame.

Come the morning he tried to collect himself, asking to be left alone before he prepared to go out on another search that morn. He hadn't thought to tell his servants to let the lady rest- so he was a bit tense when he entered the room, but he regarded her only briefly before looking down to his meal.

He barely touched his eggs, fruit and toast- and had moved to take another bite of the dry bread. It was hard to chew. I twas hard to swallow.

But so were the words she spoke to him.

Yet here she stood, coming to speak to him now and he couldn't help but look up at her with some form of hope glittering in his eyes, but the words she chose made swallowing the last morsels of bread down near impossible.

However, he was quick to stand.
"You should sit, have some tea, eat some breakfast," he went on, nearly tripping over himself in order to try to accomodate her, but no matter how he tried to hide it, his ears burned red with shame.