Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sounds like Rain

Started by Draconian, February 24, 2017, 11:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

[Thread is full thank yoooou]

It was absolutely pouring.

Friend was off somewhere doing Moose Things and Elk had the 'hood' of her pelt up. It was always a little difficult to see with the pelt over her head, the teeth from the wolf still intact. Sure that meant there was a skull there on her head but... It made her feel scary and powerful. Like a wolf. Ready to tear and rend flesh from bone. Lap up blood. Eat the meat.

Elk grabbed her long bow, strung it and made her way through the forest, her lone arrow held carefully in her hand. There had been a campfire not too far from here, and that usually meant soldiers. Usually. A few steps closer, a frown and she put the arrow between her teeth, slung the bow over her shoulder and shuffled along closer to the camp.

At the very least she could kill who ever was there by the covered fire. Take their food. Use their camp for the night. It was too much of a pain to carry a tent around, so, usually, she'd just borrow it and then leave it. Whom ever would find an abandoned camp and a corpse the next day.  Or month. There was one time she came across a camp she'd borrowed the following winter. Body picked clean by bugs and animals.

Elk had set the bones into a funny pose and left it.

Still, that wasn't here or now and she slowly slid her hand to the haft of her axe, sliding that out of the makeshift loop where it hung against her side. With no metal on her except for the weapons, which were padded by fur and fabric, Elk made very little sound except for the crunch of leaves and the snaps of twigs. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing would stick out among the popping of the camp fire.

Still, she took a careful breath.

"Are you a soldier?" She asked, voice steady, looking at the person - maybe there was one in the tent, too? Elk looked briefly at the person, arm back, axe ready to strike down. Though it wasn't raining, she wasn't hurting for cover and decided that, unless this person was a soldier, she wouldn't have to do anything drastic. So that was nice. Sorta. Still wet though and she could appreciate the attempt at keeping the fire dry with the cover they'd put over it.

zearea

Knelt by the fire was a tiny figure, her lengthy scarlet hair brushing the ground as she fiddled with something small that glinted as if it contained a flame within. Not only did the figure reach barely four foot but she was thin, and fragile looking, definitely not a soldier! She was also terribly alone...

As the stalker slipped closer, they would notice pointed ears protruding from the elf's mildly curly hair and she wore light, silken armor that appeared would barely be sufficient enough to protect a person from the cold let alone an axe over the head!

At the sudden question there was a girlish yelp of fright, the gem she had been busily drawing upon falling out of her hand, quill finding the the dirt as she leapt to her feet and spun to face the stranger. Glowing pale blue eyes greeted them, widened to saucers upon the hunter. "Oh! You are not going to attack me are you?" The elf exclaimed in her bell like voice. "N-no, I am not a soldier..." This seemed to crease her young features into bewilderment or maybe it was amusement? The elf shifted her weight from foot to foot with a measure agitation but there was no hostility, no indication that she would will harm on the stranger. "Look, I mean you look pretty uncomfortable... Umm..." She stuttered, turning to glance over her shoulder to where a pot was buried in the far corner of the camp, covered by burning coals. "I can offer food, just don't seek to harm me."

Sent from my ZTE BLADE B112 using Tapatalk

Draconian

Not a soldier.

Elk frowned down at the tiny creature. No. Not a soldier.

"What are you?" The axe began to lower, the offer of food was tempting but... Elk raised the axe again dirty face frowning. Rain dripped from her chin and onto her clothing but she paid it no mind. It wasnt the first time she'd been soaked to the bone.

"Why are you so small?" A careful step forward, axe still ready, "why are you in the forest if you aren't a soldier"

zearea

The scarlet haired elf stared at Elk, azure gaze taking in the stalkers rough and frankly ferocious appearance. It was as if they were from entirely opposite sides of the  coin. "Er... I am a, well, am human?" Unconsciously the pointy eared individual quickly covered her ears. The not so confident response caused the lie to fall flat.

The lady with the axe asked another  question, and the tiny creature flushed. "I don't know, maybe my parents are small too?" More confidence, but also a little defensive! "Who are you who still raises a weapon at me? I am Ash, I would say nice to meet you but..." Trailing of, she raised a pale arm to gesture helplessly at Elk.

A small hilt protrudes from an equally small sheath on her hip that was curved to the shape of a kukri. It seemed to be the only weapon on her person and she hadn't even drawn it.

Draconian

Elk frowned, lifting the axe higher.

"I hate liars as much as I hate soldiers," Liars once meant liars forever. Right to your face. Still, Elk's browns furrowed and she sighed, fingers going loose on the haft of the axe. It didn't feel right to kill this one. Who was she?

That was usually a question asked through blood stained teeth. Who are you. A beast from the forest. Wild child. Demon. Elk blinked a few times, nostrils flaring before she let go of the haft so the axe fell into her hand and she tucked it away under the furs. Still curious she leaned into the tiny woman and breathed in.

Ash. Like from fires.

"My name is Elk," She stated, "I've decided you can live." A brief smile and she moved and sat down beside Ash at the fire, pulling the wolf head from her own for it to hang over her shoulders. Rain water dripped from her and she cast a blue eyed look to Ash, another look at her ears.

"But what are you? Why are your ears like that? Are you... Weird?" She eyed the kukri curiously before pointing to it by nodding her head forward, indiciating with her chin, "What's that? Is it good?"

Lion

The road wasn't safe.

For anyone, let alone Roland. And bounding heavily through mud on his already tired horse only made everything worse. everything soaked from a recent shower.  Roland had little time to ponder weather further when an arrow came sailing past his head. He yelped, ducking it as he turned the horse sharply into a forested path.

Less stone here, more mud.  And the men that were hounding him had seen where he tried to lose them. Highwaymen, folk driven mad to desperation for coin, loot, or just about anything they could get their hands on. When they saw, Roland, they tried to stop him, but he was faster than they were, knowing a trap when he saw one.

But their horses were fresher, faster, and were quickly overtaking his mount. Roland didn't dare look back, lest he see only the blade of one of the men, coming down on his head.  Fuck!  Fuck!

Arrows came sailing fast when the path straightened, and their shots buried themselves into the rear of his horse. The animal screamed and lost its footing. The mud caking around hooves caused it to slide down the embankment to the left of the path, snapping its neck when it struck a tree, and Roland fell with it, thrown from his horse and rolling hard and heavy down the hillside.

He narrowly missed a boulder, and as the hill grew steeper yet, Roland was jostled and fell down toward something hot, a roasting pile of coal that had been beside the encampment.

Upon striking the fire, Roland screamed, feeling the heat engulf his clothing, and singeing him.   He rolled off and back into the mud, dizzy, head throbbing and in agony, burying his singed hands into the cold soil.  He only looked up briefly to see the two figures beside the campfire, heart racing, fear lacing through him.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

zearea

Ash's body jerked, her features visibly paling upon Elk's blunt answer to the lie, and took a step back when Elk raised the axe higher. Lips part, forming a soft 'O' of surprise as Elk loosened her grip on the axe.

The pointy eared creature stiffened, a deer in the head-lights stance as the hunter leaned toward her, nostrils flaring. Elk could scent still, faded expensive perfume and cleanliness, although underneath was a wilder, indistinguishable scent of magic.

Ash abruptly relaxed, breath hissing out from between her teeth, and lowered to her knees in front of the fire. "Fine, I guess I am not completely human, I am also an elf... Er, I suppose you haven't heard of one of them before..." Ashlia murmured, reaching down to gingerly pick up the scrawled on gem and tuck it in a small silk drawstring bag. "And thank you, f-for not killing me..." Her scarlet hair created a curtain that hid her face as she picked up the quill and attempted to wash the dirt in a pot of water.

At the mention of the kukri, the woman blinked, lifting her chin to note Elk's face blankly before following her gaze to the weapon. Placing a hand onto the sheath, Ash shrugged, "This? Um, it is a kukri, very good for lots of tasks, well I have only ever used it to cut vegetables, or to dig a pit for my fire and hack through vines, but apparently it is a good weap-." Her words were abruptly cut off at the sound of a horse screaming it's last and a man rolling right into the fire pit! "Oh my!" She exclaimed, bell like voice going up an octave as for a moment shock held her in place.

The moment passed sharply, the half elf leaping to her feet with the pitcher of water and rushing to Roland's side. Placing the pot of water on the ground, Ash reached out an attempted to grasp the man's wrists to lift and guide into the water.

Draconian

Elk moved quickly.

If there was one there was more.

"Shhh," she hissed to the elfgirl, Ash Like From a Fire. A blue eyed look to the tiny woman and a frown at the man with his hands in the dirt. Elk looked at the hill, blinked a few times before she scooped up mud and wet leaves, and pressed them into the hot coals, smothering the fire.

While the elf girl wanted to help, Elk didn't hesitant to withdrawn a bone blade and situate herself onto the strange mans upper back. Her muddy hand dug into his hair and she yanked his head back, pressing the tip to his jugular. "What's chasing you," she hissed, voice husky, hand tightening.

Lion

Burned, dizzy, and exhausted already, Roland had no opportunity to react. While the soil cooled the singed flesh of his hands, soon the two by the tent were upon him and he wasn't sure if they were trying to kill him or heal him!

Just when he thought things couldn't possibly get any worse. Roland grit his teeth, head pulled back and the knife attached to his neck.  He grunted, the first instinct of his to resist.

But the knife was already giving bite.  "Highwaymen!" he managed to hiss out, and he could feel the throbbing ache of bruises beginning to form along his shoulder and back where he was thrown from the horse. "Shot my horse, bucked, and here I am!"  He might have told her that if she wanted to kill him, to just go ahead and do it already, but he really didn't want to tempt this beast further.

Instead he kept his eyes steady on the smaller of the two, the one with the water.  "Is she always like this?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

zearea

Deeply apologetic eyes greeted Roland's when she felt his stare, the scarlet haired woman's lips twisting into a grimace. "Elk please." She pleaded quickly, twisting where she knelt before the burly man to look to where he had come, pointed ears twitching at the sounds of men and horses.

Roland had not lost the highwaymen!

Ash's azure eyes widened as they returned to Elk and Roland. "We need to go!" She hissed under her breath and stood to dash toward the makeshift tent, leaving Roland to Elk's charm for a short second and returning with her pack. Hoisting the pack over her shoulder, the little creature urged the two to move.

Draconian

The sound of her name, pleading, on someone's lips had her frowning deeply and she felt like plunging the knife into the strange mans neck just to spite the little elf-girl. A soft snarl and she gave the man's hair another violent yank before she threw his head away from her hand, moving to stand up. One knee still on his back, barefoot in the ground before she looked over her shoulder, eyes wide and looking at Ash before she stood up.

Instead of going though, Elk whistled sharply, her dirty hand to her mouth after a quick wipe against her current shirt. "Don't go straight down the hill, stay close to the trees," she said softly, looking up at the hill, eyes slowly getting used to the darkness of night. The fire had ruined what she'd had before she she stood stalk still, waiting, "If you weave through trees their horses might trip on roots and break their legs." She nodded to the man that had tried to shake hands with the fire, "Or break their necks like his."

The sound of horses was getting close and anger burned in her chest. The bone knife was slipped into her left hand and she quickly scurried up a tree, grabbing a branch to steady herself. Would they think to look up here? Elk hadn't survived the wild by expending energy she didn't need to. She craved slamming the knife into one of their necks and she patiently waited for them, crouched in the tree, eyes trained on the ground.

Lion

He laughed inside; of course he was wrong. Things could totally get worse.

Honestly there was no surprise there to know the highwaymen were still after him. They probably found where his horse had collapsed, and the sliding trail his body left when he was thrown from it. The poor animal, died for nothing.

Roland held his breath when the blade was at last retreated, and he waited a second until he was sure wasn't going to slit his throat. He got to his feet, turned for only a second to survey the hilltop and saw the men between the trees.

Right, escape. 

Roland wasn't about to wait around to be caught and so he scurried off with the smaller elf girl and crouched in waiting, pulling Anguish free from his side and held the sword at the ready.  The horses were getting closer and he turned to glance at the smaller girl. "You've got a blade? Because if you're a mage, your magic might sputter out," he warned. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

zearea

Ash hesitated when Elk shimmied up a tree instead of coming with them, however despite wanting to ensure the wild girl was safe had to face the fact that Elk could handle herself. Spinning, the elfgirl nodded, sliding in the mud as she hastily made for a hiding place, Roland in tow.

Ducking down behind a bush, Ash peered through the foliage, before abruptly letting the bush hide her face completely. Her glowing eyes might give them away! Briefly she closed them, a short pause issuing where Roland finally spoke, her ears twitching at the sound of his sword being pulled free of the scabbard. "Are you an anti-magic user? I have nothing but a kukri." She hissed under her breath, then reached out, intent on placing a hand on Roland's arm. "Do not move, I have a plan."

From Ashlia's hand upon his arm, would begin a static like sensation that would cause most to have their hair stand on end. The feeling would spread across his whole person, against his skin. She had cast a weak illusion that shrouded them in shadow! "If you remain in the deepest shadow they shouldn't see you, perhaps this will give us an advantage." She murmured softly, eyelids unfurling.

It seemed the highwaymen as Elk predicted, were not prepared for the slippery slope. There were five of the men in total, jeering and then cursing when they realized their folly. Two horses went down, one gurgling as a branch skewered its neck, while the other rolled right over the coals and screamed as his side was burnt. Its master had no choice but to let go of reigns and let the beast gallop off else he would have been dragged with it.

The other three wised up, beginning to pick their way down the slope more carefully.

Draconian

Ah.

So much meat.

So much to be wasted.

Elk sighed from her perch in the tree, listening to the animals go down. The rain had been heavy and clearly, no one had been prepared for it. Or the slippery muddly hill. Almost instantly, Elk was on the highwayman that had belonged to the burned horse, the bone knife ready. A few moments, waiting for the lone Highwayman to wander under her branch.

It was quick and while probably not painless, it wasn't the first time she'd done this and the boneblade sank into his neck easily and just as easily, it slipped out and she was back sitting up in the tree, climbing along while the man squirted blood clear across the small camp, splattering on the ground and far trees.  The other men froze at the sound and started to back away.

From the tree, standing, Elk took out her axe and weighed it in her hand before she reeled back and threw it, thunking into the wood beside one of the mounted mens head. Off in the distance a thundering call could be heard, almost demonic in nature and Elk echoed it from the tree - though her's was more shrill and obviously from a girl - or perhaps a demon. The sound of thundering hooves and another demonic bellow from the trees and Elk, again, echoed the call.

Mostly, she wanted to scare the highwaymen away.

Over the years she'd been living in forests, she'd learned that rumours of monsters and demons kept people away as easily as stabbing them did. Though, the ones that believed rumours got to keep their lives.

Lion

And the ones that didn't would return to the ground from whence they came.

Whatever spell the elf girl had tried to place on him, Roland might feel it's affects briefly but they were temporary and soon faded. He was still a Mordecai, even if it time it felt more like a burden than a curse.

He hadn't planned on hiding much anyway. And as soon as the highwaymen came into view, one was quickly dead.

And as the booming startled him once, the second time failed to do so. Roland was soon on his feet and held Anguish in both hands rushing forward and hacking off the leg of the horseman nearest him. The momentary distraction was vanquished as Roland pulled him of his horse and sunk the blade deep into his body.

The mask on the bandit's face was splattered with blood, and soon the others were on high alert, two dismounting to meet their enemies on that uneven ground.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

zearea

The two on ground engaged in combat with a roar, sending one another a look before splitting off and circling Roland. They wore the clothes of their latest kills, one seeming in his late teens had a chain linked chest piece, the insignia of Connloath militia is visible, and the lengthy blade of a thin rapier arcs from above, intent to strike Roland's neck and shoulder line.

From the other side charged a larger, thick bodied, middled aged man, the hefty double edged axe hacking for Roland's left hamstring. Despite being highwaymen, they were competent with these weapons.

Something whistle by Roland's ear and thumps with a twang into the tree behind him. It was an arrow, the direction it came from suggesting that the last was perched up the slope. As soon as the arrow was released, who ever it was darted out of sight, re-appearing from another angle to shoot, this time the very tree Elk was lurking in. How they could see in the dark was definitely a mystery!

As the bowman released his next shot with a twang of the bow string, there comes a loud 'thump', the dark lit up for a brief second by a frosty blue light.

No more shots were fired after that...

Draconian

It was dark.

Elk was surprised that the pair hadn't run. Angry about it, even.  Friend was too close now, she could hear his heavy breaths amidst all the other sounds. Her shrill whistle had sent him away and her hollar had brought him back. Hm. This hadn't gone the way she wanted and she spat down at the strange man for bringing these highwaymen to them.

They were having a nice little conversation before he fell into the elf's fire.

Of course, Elk, having opened her mouth to shout down in displeasure, all she felt was white hot heat at her thigh. The light was disorientating and Elk's knee gave out, her muddy wet hands slipped from the water soaked bark and down she went out of the tree, an arrow sticking out of her thigh. A heavy thump, landing on her side, hand fisting around the arrow before she savagely ripped it out with a soft breathless grunt.

Wheezing breath, eyes burning, she stood up quickly - though clearly dazed. The one with the rapier, seeing an easier target - a tiny boy covered in fluff and mud - turned.  Wouldn't gain anything from that kill but it'd get rid of a potential knife in the back. Except there would be no knife in the back. As the man descended closer to her, Elk grabbed one of the many daggers tied to her being, slipping it out in a shaky hand, the man went for the stab and Elk went for the gut and the man fell down, screaming and trying to keep his insides inside him until she jammed the dagger into his head.

Elk regretted examining the fire. And her thigh hurt, so, after finishing off the one that had their sights on her, she turned away, leaving the dagger in the mans skull. A pained gasp and she moved into the bushes, hopefully away and hopefully into Friend. He was nearby but where. The strange giant man with the sword could protect the little elf girl.  Elk just needed to fix her leg. A snarl. One of those Silences.  Back pressed against a tree, practically sitting in a bush, slowly bleeding, Elk waited for the fighting to stop.  Or for Friend to come and rescue her.

Lion

All that blade would cleave off was played armor. Roland swing around to meet his heavier opponent, however, swiftly rolling on his heel to catch the lowered axe. The other man's force was stronger in it's motion and Roland nearly faltered.

He gasped for breath, holding as he kicked at his arm and sent him flailing. Anguish flickered dully, and Roland turned the sword in his hand to drive it deep into his chest. He panted heavily, and raised his foot, pushing him off the blade. 

Roland staggered backwards, nearly dropping and he swiveled at the sound of oncoming hooves. Another fucking highwayman? They were relentless!

Except what he did see made, Roland stare in both wonder and fear, adrenaline seeping away.  "A moose?" But why? And where had that other girl been.  The trail of blood leading into the bushes was telling.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

zearea

The little mage knelt beside the unnamed man whom she had just downed with a concentrated  magical barrage. Her hands shook, dirtied robe sinking into the mud as she stared in utter horror at his still form.

Her pale hands hovered over the boy, not quiet touching, noting that there was no blood but that her magic had ripped holes in his buttoned up shirt. "Please don't be dead!" She exclaimed, her breathing accelerating.

Suddenly a hand shot up, fingers wrapping about her thin neck and the boy opened his eyes and shoved Ash into the ground. He rolled over her, fingers squeezing the elf's neck, forcing the oxygen to whither in an attempt to suffocate the girl. She wheezed, panic stark in her features, fingers uselessly trying to pry his fingers from her throat, until only one desire remained. 

The man scream in agony when Ashlia's form glowed frost blue. The blue expanded in a nova, passing through the assailants body.

He fell forward, Ash grunting at the weight and she struggled to shove him off and roll away. Her whole body shook now, features pallid and eyes blankly staring as she rested her back against the tree closest, legs pulled to her chest and arms wrapped about  them.

Maybe she should have just run...

Draconian

The bellow echoed through the night.

No doubt it made some hearts skip but Elk felt relief. It was Friend. She stood up quickly and though Friend had screamed his moose-y rage into the night there were no answering calls. All that sounded through the night was panting breaths and water  - or something worse - falling to the ground. Elk groaned, leaning heavily against the tree, the blood from her arrow wound soaking down to her knee. She'd tried to heal herself. Had her hand sunk into the earth to draw from it but... Nothing.

The Silencers were probably the worst sorts of people.

Elk had realized, sitting there against the tree, that trying to use her magic around one was like trying to breath under water. Swallowing, angry that she'd gotten hurt, she felt a big fluffy foot nudge her leg and she let her hands sink into damp fur. Her cheek pressed to his side and Elk sighed softly before she pulled herself up onto his back.

With the last of the Highwaymen dead or unconscious, Elk nudged Friend into the scene, giving a snort to the man who'd brought the terror along with him. Elk snarled at him while she pressed her palm to her thigh. It wasn't the girl. Which meant that He was the silencer. At least she was taller than him now and Elk pulled the muddy wolf skin over her head further so only her mouth and chin was visible - maybe. Was there enough enough light?

"Where's Ash?" She snarled, blood coating her hand, "You were supposed to run away with her," She moved her hand away from her thigh, and flung her hand at him, blood splashing along his front and mostly she was aiming for his face, "This is your fault," she snarled, showing him her hand, "You're noisy and clumsy! What if she's hurt! She's tiny! Running away with her should have been what you did first!"