Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Truth, Justice, and the Connlaothian Way (Open! PM to join!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, November 06, 2018, 02:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Whenever Adharah Braunschweig was allowed to leave the church unsupervised, there was usually some kind of list involved. This time was no different- the young knight had been sent to buy supplies the church ladies needed for that week's children's program.

Reajh's market district was very busy this morning, and the bustling crowds gathered around the stalls made it very difficult for Adharah to find what she was looking for. Every time she got close to one, somebody seemed to push her to the side. "Urgh! This is no way to treat a hero!" the girl thought angrily. "You guys wouldn't treat Grand Master Mordecai Mercer like this I bet!"

"Help!"

A muffled cry snapped the girl out of her thoughts. "What?" she said out loud, looking for the source of the voice. Wandering away from the marketplace, Adharah rested her hand on her sword.

"Shut yer gob an' pay up!" said a voice from a nearby alley. Eyes wide, Adharah peered around the corner to see somebody being held at gunpoint by a rugged looking man in a leather jacket. "Or would y'rather I just blow yer brains out? Would save me a lot of frustration..."

"I have to do something!" Adharah thought, a look of steely determination on her face. "What would Sir Mittermeyer do?"

"Stop right there, villain!" The girl stepped into the alley, sunlight reflecting brightly off of her armor. She drew her sword and pointed it at the mugger, putting on her most confident smile. "I suggest you run, lest I decide to give you a taste of my Blade of Justice!"

The muggers head whipped around, and he pointed his gun at the girl. Adharah remained steadfast, staring at him defiantly. "Crud, what if he's not scared? Then what do I do?"

Sir Aizen

"Ini wer ithquenti..."

With a loud groan, Zihlo Thistlethorne opened his eyes and lifted his head from the floor, looking around drowsily. "Where the devil. . ." Zihlo didn't finish the thought. The faint throb of a headache caused the kobold to wince and put a claws hand to his forehead, to his old scar. What the hell had happened here?  Zihlo tried and failed standing up three times. On the last try, he simply gave up, opting to sit up where he was and take in his surroundings. Propping himself up on one elbow, he took a look around.

Zihlo appeared to be on the floor of some sort of. . . tavern? Inn? He wasn't sure. He was in a large room, with lots of tables and chairs. A few of the tables and chairs had been overturned, and one or two of the tables had an apparently unconscious man across the top. Glancing around again, Zihlo noticed a couple more men on the floor as well. Glass mugs were strewn about, some of them broken, others half-filled with some sort of dark liquid. "What the. . ." Zihlo's long tail twitched as the realization dawned on him.

"Oh. Oops."

Yes, Oops indeed. Zihlo remembered where he was now. It had all come rushing back, all at once. He was in a tavern. A small one, one he couldn't remember the name of, but a tavern nonetheless. He had come here the night before with a group of other soldiers, "for some fun". He only remembered up to a certain point, when the others had started drinking. . .

Zihlo's mistake had been trying ale for the first time. He had never gotten drunk in his life, so the alcohol experience was a first for him. Losing one's senses in a blurry haze was. . . admittedly, weird. . . but enjoyable, in a way. So Zihlo drank some more.

And a little more.

And a little more.

The rest was just a blur after that. Zihlo didn't remember much. He didn't even remember going unconscious. It was just a party, then boom, he was down and out. So here he was. Zihlo's heart rate picked up and his breath quickened as he fully realized the weight of his situation. He had missed curfew. There would be repercussions to be payed. . . Zihlo set his head back on the floor and groaned again, louder than before. He closed his eyes. "Sire will be so disappointed. . ." Yes, Galen would be very disappointed in Zihlo. He'd failed to show up in a timely fashion that night, due to partying too hard. That would be fun to explain later. . . Zihlo began to stand, but before he could put one leg up, he was shocked fully awake by an icy-cold spray. He yelped, scrambling back some. Water. . . ice-cold water. He looked up, growling slightly.

The one who had doused him was none other than the tavern owner, a older woman by the name of Esta Daboreeze. She was a short Connlaothian with a medium build, long brown hair, freckles, and green eyes. Zihlo had known Esta ever since he'd been posted in Reajh a few years back. She was a close friend to Galen, and therefore a friend to Zihlo. The low rumble in the back of Zihlo's throat turned into a weary sigh. "What in the blazes was that for?"

"I wasn't sure if you were up yet," Esta gave him a sympathetic smile, resting her wooden bucket on the floor and leaning on a nearby table. "I was clearing out the others in a similar manner, if it makes you feel better." She teased. Zihlo rolled his eyes. Like that would get his clothes dry. Looking down, he realized he was in his traditional hunting clothes, minus the armor. Cloth wraps on his upper body and hips, feathers, a bone necklace, and pants, rolled up to his knees. At least the garments hadn't been damaged. "Performing a ritual?" Esta asked in mock curiosity, gesturing to the clothes. Zihlo laughed.

"If only. . . maybe one exists that can cure the pain in our head." His headache wasn't too bad now, but it still throbbed every now and then.

"Boy, if such a ritual existed, you could get rich off of working here. Anyone would pay for that. Then they would buy more beverages, so I'd become rich as well. What is there to fear when one cannot experience hangovers?"

"Death by liver failure," Zihlo deadpanned, completely straight-faced, causing Esta to snort. "You know, that was the first time we've ever drank before. We didn't expect it to be so. . ."

"Enjoyable?" Esta offered.

"Different," Zihlo finished. "Losing control of one's senses is. . . unnatural. It was uncomfortable at first, having no idea what we were doing, but. . . in the end, we guess it was okay. Not that we'll become an alcoholic or anything. We still have work to do." The kobold stood up with the help of his friend, before smirking. Then he froze. Curses. "Look, thurirl, we really need to go. . ."

"Ah, yes. Wouldn't want to dig your grave any deeper, eh?" Etsa ruffled the feathers on Zihlo's head, much to his embarrassment, and nodded to the door. "Go on, boy. No one's going to thank you for standing around all day."

True. . . Zihlo remembered yesterday's eventless day of standing around. "We shall see you later. . ." There was no time for a formal goodbye. Zihlo was already out the door, breathing in the fresh air. Well, as fresh as city air could be. He sniffed the air again, this time to get a general idea of where Zihlo needed to go. A soldier posting towards the edge of the city was where he'd go. Maybe he could think up a tall tale of falling asleep on the job. . . It was a long shot, but he'd try. He wasn't usually one to lie, but he couldn't stand the though of seeing the disappointment in Galen's eyes if he told him the truth. . . it was time to go.

Zihlo stretched, reptilian pupils narrowing a bit in the sunlight, and started his stroll through the streets towards his destination. He got more than a few odd looks do to his appearance and race, but besides that, nothing. Reajh was quite the bustling place this morning, it seemed. Reajh was glad he had a good sense of direction. He'd hit the market, maybe grab a bit of meat for breakfast. Anything was fine. He just hoped that they were actually selling meat. . .

It was even more crowded in the marketplace. Zihlo, being short, was subject to much jostling and kicking. He mentally groaned. This wouldn't do at all. To quicken his pace, Zihlo made his way to the nearest stall, scrambled up, and began traveling across their topsides. That got more than a few shouts of annoyance and anger. Zihlo wasn't in the mood. He kept on walking until the enticing scent of something cooking reached his nostrils. The lizard glanced around until he saw it. There. Only a few stalls away. Cooked chicken. . . Zihlo felt his stomach grumble. That would do -

His train of thought was interrupted by a shout of fear. Zihlo jerked up, looking around. Not on the main street. . . Zihlo leapt down from his stall, causing a few bystanders to step away in surprise. He gave them a crooked grin. "Pleasant day, eh? Don't mind us. Army business." He continued moving, towards the origin of the sound, a nearby alley. That wasn't good. . . Zihlo felt for his daggers, hidden in the folds of his clothing. Yes, still there, thankfully. He thought he'd lost them in the previous night's shenanigans.

High chance he'd need them soon, it would seem.

Zihlo didn't just walk into whatever situation lay in the alley. He would examine first. Poking his head around the corner, the kobold took in the scenario. Strange. A citizen was being stuck up by your classic lowlife mugger. Zihlo could handle that. But. . . there was a child here? With a sword? Curious. Was she one of those knights? If so, why was she so young? A knight in training? Either way, she shouldn't have been there. This wasn't child's play. Zihlo wasted no time. "Hey!"

Drawing one of his daggers, he tossed it straight past the little girl, aimed at the mugger's shooting hand. He needed to be the threat here, not her. If he drew the man's attention, the girl could get away. If she had the sense to, of course. . . "Pretty brazen of you to do your thing in broad daylight, wouldn't you say?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Adharah and the mugger both stood completely still, as if daring each other to move. The woman who had been getting robbed began to inch away slowly, glancing towards the young soldier nervously. ""Don't move a muscle, lass." the crook hissed. "One more step an' I'll- what?!"

A knife flew threw the air past Adharah, causing her to jump. It missed the gunman by inches, and he stumbled back cursing. The woman shrieked in panic, fleeing the scene. Adharah looked behind her to see...

"A tiny dragon?"

The girl blinked, shrugged, then turned back towards the mugger. "That's right, evildoer! Your kind doesn't belong here!" Adharah would then charge at the (still very shaken) man, aiming to hit him in the chest with her practice blade...

Sir Aizen

Zihlo allowed himself a small grin of triumph. The bystander had made their escape. That was his main goal here. Technically, his job was done. He wasn't officially supposed to be out here, so technically it wasn't his job to punish the mugger. Still, his reputation was at stake here. He was Zihlo Thistlethorne, an ace with knives, and a master hunter. He didn't let his prey get away. He might not kill this man, but he'd make his eyes water. The kobold hadn't meant to miss with his throw - but this worked to his favor. The mugger was disoriented by the sudden burst of action. He was vulnerable.

Zihlo hadn't counted on the girl taking the chance as well, though. He and the mugger were momentarily taken aback. Still, the crook shook out of his stupor quicker than the lizard. He might not have had a blade, but he was bigger and stronger than both Adharah and Zihlo. The man took a glancing hit to the side from the girl's blade as he dodged to the left side of the alley, grunting in pain. Zihlo hissed in annoyance.

"Flee, girl! We don't require assistance." Still, it was too late for her to run. The mugger had a gun, and he obviously wasn't afraid to use it. Still, having avoided the girl's blade, he was once again vulnerable, pressed against the alley wall. Zihlo wasted no time. He dashed past the knight-in-training, using his tail to push her back slightly. He then leapt up to the head of the mugger, brandishing another dagger. He didn't use it to kill the man where he stood, though - He slashed the man's shoulder, causing him to cry out in pain and drop his gun. The weapon clattered to the stones, skittering into a small pile of rubbish. Zihlo hissed in some foreign language as he attacked the man.

"What the h-" The mugger hardly had any time to react. His arms flailed as he tried to pry Zihlo off of him, obviously too distracted to worry about Adharah at the moment. It was the perfect chance to strike the injured assailant. . . but Zihlo was also in the line of fire. Choices. . .

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Adharah felt her blade connect with the man's side, and he let out an annoyed grunt. The young knight was about to follow up with another blow when the dragon-man rushed past her, pushing her aside with his tail. "Hey!" she cried as the mugger's gun was knocked to the ground. "No fair! I can too help!"

Rushing towards the two struggling men, Adharah lifted her training sword to aim a blow at the crook- but as she brought the blade down, the lizardman's tail lashed and got in the way of the attack! If he didn't move quickly, he'd be hit too!

Sir Aizen

Zihlo was. . . fairly aware of Adharah's incoming strike. He'd noticed as he grappled with the mugger, the slight change in the air as the training weapon came rushing towards him. Cursing in draconian, he managed t edge out of the way - barely. It still nicked the kobold's tail, causing him to hiss in pain. It wasn't a serious hit. The same could not be said for the mugger. He took the full force of the strike, yelping and going down, along with Zihlo.

There were a few more sounds of fighting - grunts from the man and hisses from Zihlo - while the lizard struggled to subdue the attacker. Finally, he succeeded, striking the man on the head with the pommel of his dagger. The man went still. Not dead, just out cold. Zihlo paused, making sure the man wouldn't get up any time soon, before crawling off of the limp form. He stretched, joints popping and tail curling. Maybe less fighting in the morning, then. . . that had taken a bit longer than he'd wanted. Now. . .

Zihlo glanced backwards at the girl behind him. His tail throbbed a bit, but he payed it no heed. "What," He growled quietly, "Was that? We told you, we'd handle it. There was no need for assistance. You were only endangering yourself back there. What were you trying to prove?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Oh no! Adharah's strike met it's mark, grazing the beastman's tail in the process. The young White Lily watched on excitedly as the mugger went down, dragging the soldier with him. As the fight continued on the ground, Adharah paced around them looking for another opening...

*THWACK*

Before the girl could attack again however, it had ended- the mugger lay unconcious at the lizardman's feet. "I did it!" Adharah thought, chest swelling with pride. "I defeated my first bad guy!" She looked up happily at the lizard, fully expecting praise...

...Only to get scolded instead. "But I was helping!" the girl whined. "Didn't you see me back there? I hit him with my sword and he fell over!" The girl crossed her arms. "I'm a soldier, y'know. Fighting bad guys is what I do."