Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Forever on the Run [DragonSong][M]

Started by Zero, March 26, 2019, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Mikhail didn't like it because he wasn't a kid. He was at least twenty! Still, that wasn't all that important right now.

"But...why?" He had listened to what Theoden had to say, and he couldn't help but ask that very simple question. Why would he go out of his way to help Mikhail track down his family? Why wouldn't he just leave him in the woods? The elf didn't owe him anything.

Mikhail on the other hand owed Theoden everything. The man had given him back his freedom by helping him escape those hunters and getting him to the smith to have the collar removed.

"I really don't mean to sound ungrateful. I really don't, because I have never been more grateful to someone in my life, but I just don't understand why you're willing to do so much for me. I don't deserve it. I haven't earned it." He looked up at Theoden with an expression that was so many emotions - fear, uncertainty, sorrow, and a flicker of hope. "Are you really just that good? I didn't know people could actually be like you..."

DragonSong

"Whoa, whoa." Theoden raised his hands as though trying to ward off Mikhail's words, backing up a step. His eyes were rather wide, cheeks darkening with yet another blush. "Look, Mikhail, you don't--you don't have to earn kindness. And giving it to you doesn't make me particularly good! I'm just...being decent."

Or trying to. He made a concerted effort not to think about how much he'd actually liked having Mikhail snuggled against his side, or the way he'd lost it with the smith. None of those things were good.

He groaned quietly and dragged a hand down his face, rubbing the back of his neck with the other. "It's not like I'm really putting myself out all that much. I can hunt anywhere, and sell game pretty much anywhere. Having you along doesn't change things all that much. Don't...don't make me out to be something I'm not. Some kind of...hero or somethin'. I'm not."

The breath he'd been holding was released in a huff, and he dropped his hands, eyes darting around once more. "We should--we should keep moving."

Zero

What was he supposed to say? The more Theoden spoke, the sadder Mikhail's expression became. It was clear to him that the elf really did believe what he was saying. How could Theoden not think he was a good person? He was more than just decent! Obviously telling him that was not working to make himself see differently.

"Well you're a hero to me." Mikhail whispered, so quiet maybe the other wouldn't even hear him. He nodded his head a little dejectedly as he started walking again, still moving the way Theoden had been leading him. The night sounds of the forest kept things from being completely silent now that they had stopped speaking, but it still felt uncomfortably silent to Mikhail. He didn't know much of what to really say though.

DragonSong

Wood elves' senses tended to be better than an average human, and Theoden had honed his for nearly a century out in the wilds, hunting.

He definitely heard Mikhail.

The blush got worse.

He tried to play it off, clearing his throat quickly--and winding up giving himself a real coughing fit. It passed easily enough and he sank back into the comfortable quiet of the night-sounds of the forest around them. At least, it was usually comfortable.

Not so much right then.

"So..." Oh gods, small talk? Was he supposed to make small talk? How did he do that?! "You, um...what's with the night thing? I mean--" He winced. "Er, you said before that you--you mostly stay awake nights. You just...like it?"

Dear gods. Was it possible to drop dead from awkwardness?

Zero

"Oh, that." Mikhail rubbed the back of his head, trying to decide how best to really break it to Theoden. A little part of him was very afraid that the elf would immediately reject him and want him gone. Okay a very big part of him was afraid of that, but he didn't want to be deceitful with the man that had done so much for him. "It's not that I just like nights - I mean I do like nighttime but that's not why - uh, look, I understand if you don't want me around after I tell you this, but I hope you'll still want to be my friend..."

Mikhail sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, trying to stop his rambling. It was a simple enough question, with a straightforward answer, he just needed to spit it out. "The thing is...Iamhalfvampirepleasedon'thateme."

The words came out in an anxious rush, and he looked away, not wanting to see a sudden look of disgust or hatred from Theoden knowing what he was.

DragonSong

Theoden glanced down at him. Why was he being so cagey? Sure, he didn't really know him all that well, but this seemed...off.

Then his eyes widened and his step stuttered. "You're...oh." His eyes went a little wider. "Oh. Oh!"

Well, that...that...

He stopped suddenly and turned to face Mikhail, brows drawing together in the start of a frown. "You. You're a dhampir. You. Really? That-- hang on."

That actually made a bizarre amount of sense.

"Have you been--I dunno what it's called. Magicking me? Y'know." He waved a hand airily around his head. "With the whole...vampiric gaze or whatever."

Zero

Mikhail winced and kept his face turned away, stopping to hug himself again. Dhampir. Ugh, what a word. His chest tightened painfully. Theoden was going to hate him now! He had worried that he would, but that didn't make it easier to hear the elf stumble over his words.

Then Theoden said something that had Mikhail whipping his head around, red eyes wide, and then a flash of hurt swept over his features.

"What? No! Of course not. I - I can't even do that. Do you really think I've been tricking you this whole time? I know vampires probably don't have the best reputations, but, but...you think I used magic on you?" It really did hurt that Theoden thought he would do something like that, after everything that the elf had done for him.

DragonSong

No. No he hadn't. Of course he hadn't--

Oh no.

"Shit." Theoden started to reach for him, instinctively, then quickly drew his hands back. His chest tightened at the plain hurt in the younger man's voice and he winced. He'd done that. That was his fault.

The thought turned his stomach.

"I--I'm sorry," he started babbling, "I just thought--I dunno what I thought, but I'd never been like that before, back with Garen, and I thought maybe, even if it wasn't necessarily intentional--shit, I'm sorry, really, I didn't mean--" He snapped him mouth shut and closed his eyes, feeling the heat rise up through his whole face out to the tips of his ears. "Fuck."

Zero

Mikhail hunched his shoulders, still hugging himself. He winced again when he heard Theoden curse and noticed that he reached for him, but stopped. What had he intended? Did he want to restrain him? Maybe he regretted freeing him now that he knew what he was. He whimpered softly and took a hesitant step back, heart racing and all sorts of negative scenarios running through his mind in that short few seconds.

Then Theoden was apologizing and again stumbling all over his words. He was sorry?

"You - you believe me? I'm used to being...mistrusted." If someone thought you could mess with their mind then they tended never to trust or believe you because what if it was part of the trick? Of course Mikhail really hadn't used any magic on Theoden. He didn't even have the ability for that kind of psychic power.

Mikhail sniffled and wiped at his eyes, realizing that he'd started to cry. He looked at Theoden's blushing face, even his ears were red. Unlike the elf who kept hesitating when reaching for him, Mikhail threw himself at his companion, burying his face against him. "I really wouldn't use magic on you, Theo. You've been so kind to me, and I like you, and I really want you to like me, and I'm sorry if I have caused you even more trouble than I thought."

DragonSong

Oh shit.

"Hey, no, don't--don't do that, don't cry, please, I--" His voice cut off in a choked gasping sound as Mikhail suddenly threw himself against him. He reeled back, a small corner of his brain marveling that the slight half-vampire could manage to throw all six and a half feet of him off balance. He stared down at the top of his head, arms thrown up and eyes wide.

"H-hey..." He swallowed thickly. He could feel a very slight dampness where Mikhail's face was pressed into his chest, and it just about broke his heart.

...What the hells was wrong with him?

"...Hey," he repeated softly, and allowed his hands to drop down onto Mikhail's shoulders gently. Gods, it felt like he could snap him in half if he wasn't careful. It made him even more nervous, though he knew it was irrational. "I...I believe you, alright? It's okay. I'm not mad."

Before he fully realized what he was doing, he'd wrapped his arms around the smaller man and was holding him gently against his chest. His cheek somehow managed to rest against the top of his head, and he thought the heat in his face must surely be burning the poor thing. "I..." He huffed. "I like you too, Misha, okay? You're not causing me trouble, I was just...surprised."

Zero

Feeling Theoden's hands on his shoulders immediately had Mikhail relaxing, although he kept his arms around the other man, face still pressed against his chest. He felt foolish for crying, but also relieved that Theo wasn't mad. As much as he'd said he would learn to fend for himself and that he didn't want to be a bother to the elf, well he really didn't want to be alone.

If the hands on his shoulders made him relax, well being held against Theoden's chest had the hybrid practically melting. Theo liked him, despite what he was. The acceptance meant a lot to him. He sighed softly against the quite nicely toned chest, nuzzling into the warmth as he felt Theo's head resting against his. How could he have thought that this sweet man would hate him for what he was? He felt bad for thinking the guy who had rescued him would turn on him immediately over something that Mikhail couldn't even help.

Misha?

"Thank you, Theo." He said quietly, voice a little muffled by the fact he was still firmly pressed into the other's chest. "I'm really glad you don't think I'm trouble and that you like me. I'm sorry for crying. When I thought you were going to hate me and leave me all alone I just couldn't control it."

DragonSong

"No, hey, it's--it's okay." Theoden stroked his back awkwardly. "Don't apologize, you...look, if you need to cry just go ahead and cry. Stop apologizing to me." He let his hands come to rest on Mikhail's shoulders again, squeezing gently.

He just held him for a little while longer, not really sure what else he could--or should--do. Eventually, he cleared his throat and shuffled his feet, then pulled slowly away, hands still on Mikhail's shoulders to hold him at arm's length. He tried for a smile, head tipped slightly to the side as he looked his new, odd little friend up and down.

Impulsively, he reached up to shuck him gently under the chin, smile growing just a bit. "Feel any better?" His voice had dropped to a low rumble from the extended quiet.

Zero

It was easy to just let himself enjoy being held while it lasted. Mikhail looked up as Theo moved to have him at arm's length. He couldn't help but smile when he felt the touch under his chin. It was a shame he couldn't cuddle against the elf for longer, but he consoled himself with the idea of snuggling against Theo once they made camp.

"Yes, thank you. I guess we should probably keep moving? The sooner we find a good place to camp, the sooner you can get some rest too." Mikhail felt bad that Theo hadn't gotten any sleep at all, when he had gotten several hours.

DragonSong

"Yeah, right." Theoden looked at him a moment longer, a slightly befuddled smile on his face. After a moment, it dawned on him that he was trying to catch a flash of fangs in Mikhail's smile. He flushed and looked away again quickly. "Right! Okay, c'mon."

He started walking again, reaching up to sling his arm around Mikhail's shoulder automatically, an unconscious gesture of comfort, seeing how much the half-vampire seemed to like physical affection.

At least, it was unconscious, until he took three more steps and realized what he was doing. His cheeks heated--yet again--and he pulled his arm back quickly, clearing his throat. "We, er, we probably have another two hours before it's full dawn, and I figure that's as good a time as any to start looking for a place to make camp..."

Zero

Mikhail felt himself blushing slightly as Theo agreed about moving, and then just kept looking at him, but he never stopped smiling. His fangs were not large or prominent, but they were certainly there. Not that he knew that was what the elf was looking for. He chuckled softly when Theo got all flustered again.

It was a little surprising when he felt the larger man's arm come around his shoulders again. He had gotten the impression that Theo was hesitant to initiate such contact - at least when he wasn't being protective. It made him happy, though. Of course the arm was gone almost as quickly as it had arrived and Mikhail looked over at his friend a little confused. He wondered why Theo behaved that way. Did he like that contact with him or did he not? Maybe it wasn't appropriate? It wasn't as if he would know what was normal interactions between two people.

"Oh. Um. Okay. You would know better than me about that. I'll try to learn quickly, though." Mikhail knew it would be beneficial to learn as much as he could about surviving from Theo. He didn't know for sure how long the elf would be around. The walk became quiet again for a few moments, then Mikhail spoke up again. "Hey Theo? Does touching me make you uncomfortable?"

DragonSong

Yep.

He was absolutely going to die of embarrassment. He was now more than convinced that that was indeed a thing.

"Wh-what-- No! I mean, er, maybe? Not--not uncomfortable, it's more...I mean...fuck." He couldn't exactly drop his head into his hands while they walked--didn't want to wind up running into a tree--but he did run his fingers back through his hair in agitation.

"Doesn't it make you uncomfortable?" he finally asked in exasperation, looking up through the trees toward the ever-lightening sky as though it might provide some solution. "I mean, I'm...I didn't...damnit, I don't even know what I'm trying to say?"

Zero

Mikhail tilted his head as he watched Theo struggle through, he wasn't sure if it was because he wasn't sure how he felt himself or he was worried about hurting his feelings.

"Not at all." There was no hesitation in the answer. "I really enjoy it, actually. It feels nice, You don't touch me like I'm used to. I miss people touching me like that. I'm used to...well anyway. No, you don't make me uncomfortable. I don't want you to be uncomfortable either, though. So if you want to hug me or put your arm around my shoulder or hold my hand or something, then I wan't you to know that I don't mind."

DragonSong

"O-oh..." Theo stared at him, then swallowed. He had to take a few careful breaths in through his nose and exhaled through his mouth before he managed. "What you're...used to. Like--back with Garen?"

Oh gods, why had he said that? He really didn't want to think about it. Mostly because it was confusing. And made him want to hit something. Possibly Garen. Probably Garen.

He took another breath, then stopped walking, hesitated, reached out, hesitated again, then huffed out the breath and draped his arm around Mikhail's shoulders again. "Just...tell me if you don't like it. Or push me away or something."

Zero

Mikhail didn't answer that, just dropped his gaze to the ground. He knew that Theo'd gotten really upset when he'd caught him with Garen. Clearly that was not a topic to really get into. It wasn't like he'd ever felt ashamed of what he did - it was just how things were - but the elf actually made him feel self-conscious about it.

When Theo stopped, so did Mikhail, and he looked up at him in confusion for a moment before smiling as he felt that warm, strong arm again. He sighed softly, closing his eyes with a smile. "I promise I'll tell you if I don't like something, Theo."

DragonSong

The breath left him in a sharp rush and he nodded briskly. "Right. Good. Okay." He started walking again, pulling Mikhail in just a little tighter against his side as he did. He told himself it was to make sure his friend wasn't going to trip over roots or ground foliage--he wasn't as used to the woods, after all--but even he didn't really buy it.

He lapsed into silence as they walked, not really sure what else he should say. Or if he should say anything at all. The soft rustlings and chirping for crickets and smaller voles and things seemed abnormally loud, but it was still oddly soothing, at least to him.