Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Forever on the Run [DragonSong][M]

Started by Zero, March 26, 2019, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Mikhail watched Theoden's face as he assured him, and for a few moments after, before nodding his head slowly.

"Okay. I trust you." It wasn't as if he had much of a choice, but it was more than that. He believed him. Theoden wouldn't abandon him, even though it would be easier for him to leave Mikhail to fend for himself. He watched the elf leave silently, and then he stood alone with the smith in this place he didn't know.

"Theoden has been very kind to me. I feel very bad that he is trading his things for my sake." Mikhail was still speaking quietly as he looked over at the smith with hooded red eyes.

"Is there not an arrangement I could make with you? I don't have much to offer except," Mikhail gestured at himself, "myself. Could I pay you with a service? I am not inexperienced with paying in favors. I've been told I'm quite good."

DragonSong

The smith looked at him consideringly for several long moments.

"I suppose that depends on what you're offering."

It didn't take Theoden too long to locate his cache just outside the village. He had a few scattered around--for pelts and things, meat spoiled too quickly--and this one was close enough that it took him less than half an hour to get to it. Gathering up enough payment for Garen was a simple enough task, and he began the trek back.

He didn't realize he was anxious until he noticed how quickly he was walking. Quick enough that he wasn't being nearly as quiet as he usually was.

Wow. Alright, maybe take a breath. He shook his head at himself with a wry little smile. The smithy was in sight again--he decided to approach from the front, rather than coming around to the side again

Zero

Whelp throwing out some feelers had certainly gotten him a hook. Mikhail let himself rake his eyes up and down the smith, biting his lower lip before smiling coyly at the man. He wasn't exactly what the hybrid would have called a prime partner, but this was business, not for his own personal enjoyment.

"What would it take?" Mikhail's voice had turned from the nervous waver to a sultry purr as he walked towards the smith, letting his hips sway. "I can do amazing things with my tongue, so I've heard, and there's definitely more I can offer you. I'd do almost anything in exchange for getting this collar off."

He batted his eyes at the smith, putting on his best puppy eyes as he tugged at the metal with one finger. "It's so very uncomfortable. Please help me and I'll take very good care of you."

DragonSong

Garen seemed more than willing to let Mikhail pay his own way, as it were

He was so thoroughly distracted, that he didn't seem to hear the door to the forge open, or the hunter's tread across the floor.

Theoden froze.

What--

What.

That same growl he hadn't understood before rose up in his chest. "What. Are. You. Doing." His eyes never left Garen, snapping fire, and he'd curled his hands into tight fists at his sides, shaking slightly.

Zero

The moment the collar came off, Mikhail's red eyes flared brightly before darkening. It felt so good, so liberating, that tears of relief actually came to his eyes. He sighed heavily in a sort of satisfaction before dropping to his knees.

A deal was a deal, and he wasn't one to leave something owed to someone if he could help it.

Preoccupied as he was, Mikhail didn't hear Theoden coming either. The sound of growling immediately had him gasping and turning his head to look at the elf with wide eyes. His face flushed deeply, although he wasn't exactly shy about such acts, well for some reason he felt a bit of shame being caught by him.

"I-I'm paying him. For the collar. I didn't want you to have to pay for me..." Mikhail looked down shyly and cleared his throat. "We're almost d-done."

DragonSong

"Theo, relax, he just--"

Theoden slammed the smith back against his worktable, his arm a solid bar across the other man's chest while his other hand dropped to grab Mikhail's upper arm and haul him to his feet. That thrumming growl was back, echoing off the scraps of metal with a dull ringing sound that actually managed to snap him out of...whatever it was that had just happened.

He stepped back, eyes wide and breath coming a little too harshly. He didn't know where to look, what to do, what to think. Movement sharp and jerky, he tossed the promised pelts at Garen's feet and took another step back, herding Mikhail behind him.

"There," he hissed. "Payment. We're leaving."

He turned, arm around Mikhail to usher him along back out onto the street.

Zero

Mikhail had no idea what he was really expecting, but this was a bit, well, weird. Sure, the situation could have looked kinda bad if you stumbled into it, but he had figured explaining would calm Theoden down, maybe made him go back outside embarrassed.

He let out a small yelp as things happened quickly, and a little alarmingly. Red eyes were wide and slightly afraid as he watched Garen was slammed against the worktable, giving a little whimper as the elf pulled him to his feet.

"Th-Theoden!" Whatever had come over the elf seemed to snap out of it. Not sure what else to do, Mikhail clung to his side as he was herded back out of the smith's shop. His voice sounded very small. "Are you mad at me?"

DragonSong

They were nearly three streets away before the question properly registered. Theoden's steps slowed, and he only then realized he'd already been steering them back toward the forests. He glanced around, feeling oddly...hunted.

"I--"

He looked down at Mikhail, and his stomach lurched uncomfortably.

What the hells am I doing?

"No," he said on a heavy exhale. "No, I'm not mad at you." He reached up to drag a hand down his face, groaning softly. "Look, I...I shouldn't have...done that. It was--I thought he--" He gritted his teeth, a muscle fluttering in his jaw. "You didn't have to do that," he managed to bite out. "I didn't-- Look, it was really no trouble to pay him. You don't...have to do stuff like that."

Zero

It was a relief when Theoden finally answered him, a few streets away from the shop. Even with the collar now off and feeling stronger, well Mikhail had felt a sense of fear when the elf had gotten so angry and aggressive.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you." His voice was still that small, timid whisper. Theoden said he wasn't mad at him, but Mikhail could see the way his jaw muscle twitched and how the elf gritted his teeth. If Theoden wasn't mad at him, well he certainly was still mad. "You've already done a lot for me, I didn't want you to feel like you had to more. It really isn't...I'm used to it. Stuff like that."

DragonSong

Ah, shit.

He's scared him. Fuck. Guilt instantly swamped him, tightening his chest. He quickly drew his arm back, trying to give Mikhail some space.

Guilt was quickly followed by rage that he was used to it. He shouldn't be surprised, really. He shouldn't be having this strong of a reaction, he just...was.

Okay. Breathe.

"Look, Mikhail." He sighed, running his fingers awkwardly through his hair. They'd nearly reached the treeline now, though he didn't entirely seem to notice, adjusting his step easily to muffle the noise he made in the underbrush. "I'm...sorry. I didn't--I didn't mean to scare you. Back there. I really shouldn't have...reacted like that. But I don't want you to think--"

He paused, sighed through his nose, closed his eyes. Damnit, he was so bad at talking to people. "You're your own person," he muttered eventually. "You get to decide...what you do. How you do it. Who...who you want to do it with. Whatever. I don't want you to think I'm...trying to control you, or tell you what to do. But I also don't--"

He growled, frustrated. He couldn't figure out how to say it. "I don't have to do anything. I want to help you. It's really not some sort of burden. And I don't want you to feel like...like that's how you have to get by in the world. Like..."

His breath left him in a huff as he trailed off and shook his head. "Still, I--I shouldn't have done that. I think I frightened you, and I'm sorry."

Zero

Mikhail actually liked it better when Theoden's arm was around him, it felt warm, comforting, and oddly safe, but he didn't protest when it was pulled away. He was keeping his eyes lowered, only risking brief glances towards his companion. It was reassuring to see some of that awkwardness return to him.

Listening to Theoden stumble through what he wanted to say, Mikhail tried to work through his own thoughts. He still wasn't quite sure why the elf had reacted so drastically to what he'd done. Why did it matter how he got by in the world?

"I didn't want you to be mad at me." He said softly, finally raising his head to look up at Theoden. "Do you think what I did was wrong? Is getting by in the world like that not a good thing?"

DragonSong

"What--no. No, that's...no." He bit back a frustrated groan. How did he try to explain this? "No, there's nothing wrong with it, if that's what you want to do. But if you're just...if you feel like you have to, or if you are just used to it..."

He sighed and stopped walking, turning to face the smaller man. "Mikhail...you just got a damned collar off your neck. You were..." A slave. "Just...tell me this. Did you do that because you wanted to, or because it was an easy way to pay someone?"

Zero

"It was all I had to pay with." Mikhail answered without hesitation, because that was the simple truth of the matter. What else did he have to offer anyone at the moment? Nothing at all. His body was literally his only real possession. He had stopped with Theoden and looked up at him with an expression of resignation.

This was just how things were for him. He was a runaway slave, how did the elf think he was supposed to make it? Maybe if he was smart he could eventually trade or pay his way through life in a more "normal" way but for now his options were pretty limited.

"I'm sorry." Mikhail lowered his eyes back to the ground, hunching his shoulders slightly. He just didn't want Theoden to be upset with him.

DragonSong

"Aw...Gods, kid, don't apologize." He shook his head and looked away, annoyed with himself. Glaring at the forest floor, he muttered, "It's not. All you have to pay with. I really don't mind helping you out--I want to help you. Whether that means getting that collar off, or...I dunno, teaching you some trade or getting you somewhere you can learn so you don't have to do that."

He sighed, his shoulders caving forward. "But I'm not...angry with you. I promise. I--I was angry with him. He knows what a slave collar is, he should've--"

He was getting angry again. He flexed his fingers, forced himself to breathe. He had never known Garen well, but he'd always thought him a decent sort of person. Not someone who would take advantage of someone as clearly in need of help as Mikhail. Particularly since he was already getting paid.

"You don't have to apologize to me," he repeated quietly. "Look, I..." He trailed off, sighed, closed his eyes. Then he shook his head and looked back at Mikhail, and tried for a smile. "Come on. It'll be dark again soon. We should find someplace to sleep."

Zero

It was a good thing he hadn't offered Theoden that kind of repayment for his kindness earlier when he'd told the elf he owed him.

Theoden wanted to help him. That was certainly a beneficial thing for Mikhail, but he still didn't know why the elf wanted to help him. Would he sound ungrateful for asking? It was all very confusing and tiring. He'd had an eventful couple days, maybe questioning his good fortune further could just wait a little bit.

Although maybe he should feel just a little bad that the smith was getting all of the anger when it was Mikhail that had suggested repaying him with a sexual favor.

"Okay, I'll try." Mikhail couldn't help that he felt compelled to apologize. He had always been a defiant slave, but Theoden was not his master or one of his master's cruel friends. It was impossible for him to even think of someone that had treated him so kindly for no reason.

DragonSong

Theoden started to reach for him automatically, then caught himself. He drew his hand back quickly, curling it into a fist at his side. "Right. Um...this way. I know these woods pretty well, I can find us a safe place to sleep."

He turned and started into the trees again, glancing back over his shoulder at his companion every so often to make sure he was keeping up.

The further into the forest they got, the more Theoden started to relax. His steps lightened, shoulders rolling back and down, fingers uncurling from his palms to hang comfortably at his sides rather than remain in fists. The sun crept lower and lower in the sky, shifting the angle of the light through the leaves, and the sounds of small rodents and insects gradually shifted into the night-sounds of the forest: the occasional hoot of an owl, crickets calling to one another...sounds that had always been a comfort to him. 

Zero

"Yeah, okay. Safe is good." Mikhail didn't miss the way Theoden began reaching for him before changing his mind. He hugged himself once the elf's back was turned, wishing that he was tucked against the side of his new friend(?).

They were silent, but the forest around them was a sort of natural, wordless song. Mikhail noticed that they further they moved into the woods, the more relaxed Theoden seemed. He supposed that did make sense, he was an elf and apparently a hunter, of course he was happier in the wild than in a town. It made him feel better to see Theoden no longer angry or tense.

Mikhail had trailed just behind him, but he picked up his pace and started walking beside the hunter again, although he didn't try to press into his side for now. He yawned and shook his head with a frown. Normally he was more awake in the night than the day, but he hadn't slept very much the night before or at all through the day. "We get to sleep on the ground tonight, right? Please don't make me climb another tree."

DragonSong

That earned a chuckle from Theoden, almost despite himself. "Sure, we don't have to climb tonight," he agreed with a small smile. "No real big predators in this area, and chances are slim the people who were after you would be searching this part of the woods."

He glanced down at Mikhail as he fell into step beside him, brow furrowed a bit in concern. "You need to stop now?" It wasn't all that late, but they had been walking a good part of the day. Not to mention however long Mikhail had been running from those slavers before that. Poor thing was certainly within his rights to be exhausted.

Zero

They didn't have to climb tonight. Did that mean they were going to have to climb other nights? Mikhail had suppress a groan. He had learned something about himself last night, and it turns out he really, really did not like heights.

"No, I can keep going." Mikhail couldn't suppress another yawn and brought his hands up to rub at his eyes. Dusk was usually when he'd prefer to just be waking up, but they had been busy through the day, and he was used to having to adhere to a "normal" schedule. It was just that even that had been thrown off. "It's usually daytime that makes me sleepy. I like nighttime."

DragonSong

"Really?" He looked down at him again, slowing his step slightly. "I mean...if you'd rather, we can keep a more nocturnal schedule until we get you...wherever it is we're trying to get you."

He cleared his throat and shrugged, looking away again. "I can do either. Work by day or night, I mean. Some hunts need you to be awake at night, so...not like it's any real hardship."

Theoden paused, looking at him out of the corner of his eye. "But for tonight, I think we should probably call it soon. I'll keep an eye out for a good place to bed down." Regardless of what Mikhail said, he looked tired, and Theoden didn't want to make him keep moving. They could start switching to night travel gradually, shouldn't take more than a few days.