Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Squeeze blood from a stone [M] | TheUnforgiving

Started by Kadakism, January 24, 2020, 10:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadakism

Belafay was, as had become increasingly true over the years, without a master. It irked her to no end, the constant pull. The aching desire to serve, manifesting in every petty gripe and complaint the humans around her had. But despite her annoyance, her programming also wouldn't let her avoid those same people. She needed a master, or her days would be spent laboring away mindlessly for whoever asked.

At the moment, she was ankle deep in mud with a rope wrapped tightly enough around her arms that it left textured troughs through her skin. These ropes were attached to a cart that was equally stuck in the mud. And here she was, pulling it one slow step at a time towards what she hoped was dry ground. The request given to her by the man sitting atop the cart and giving her words of encouragement as she struggled to gain purchase on the solid earth underneath the muck.

She grunted and gritted her teeth and the cart moved another inch. Belafay was focused on her work entirely, forgetting everything around her so that she could finish this task and hopefully be on her way. She imagined remembering a river nearby, one she had stopped at with Master number right some time ago. She could clean herself off there, to be presentable again to continue her journey.

Another inch. Another grunt. A slip of the rope that made her wrist bend unnaturally. Belafay stopped only long enough to right her twisted hand, and this pause was too much for the entitled man on the cart.

"Hey! You ain't quittin, are ya girlie? You said you'd get me outta here and we're almost there!"

"No sir," she replied through the exasperated sigh that escaped her lips. She tilted her neck to the sides, a gesture reminiscent of cracking one's neck, and rolled her shoulders. Entirely unnecessary actions, but Master number three had taught her that performing humanity can do wonders for helping bridge the gap in understanding between one's self and others. "Just readjusting my grip, sir. I will have you out shortly."

This answer seemed to placate him, at least for the moment. Her hands gripping the rope again, Belafay subtly melded her fingers together around it so she couldn't lose her grip. Her clay skin stretched as if the non-existent muscles underneath were bulging with her effort. She took another step. Another inch.

TheUnforgiving

Aliza put a steadying hand against the tree trunk and watched the proceedings with disgust from her perch in the thick branches of an old oak tree.  The spring rains had come and gone and, with the help of the meltwater from further up the mountains, had overflowed the river a week prior and washed a fresh layer of silt onto the floodplains, which had absorbed and retained much of the water that would have otherwise threatened the towns downstream. It hadn't yet been warm or dry enough to bake off much of the moisture in the soil, leaving large swaths of land on either side of the river as unmarked mires, made all the more treacherous by the green grasses that, fed by the rich soil, had already begun pushing through the muck and reaching for the sun, disguising just how unsuited the land was for travel to those who did not know it.

The merchant whose wagon had become stuck in the mire evidently did not know the land or else he would have known that the convenient ford that bypassed the toll bridge downstream also did not contain the flooding, letting out more water into the floodplains around it and kept the mud around it too saturated for anything but foot travel.  And while this might be forgiven had he been an outlander, unused to traveling this river, how he was going about getting his wagon unstuck painted him as a fool.  The mules had been unhitched from the wagon and tied off where they could drink from the river, the two guards had found a rock large and flat enough for them to sit comfortably out of the mud and play cards, and the merchant himself was sitting in the wagon shouting at the only one among them doing any work. 

When the goddess of True Sight had spoken to Aliza in a dream and bade her to locate a particularly ancient golem, she did not question it.  How could she?  To be spoken to by the goddess was a blessing itself and to be directly given a divine mission was a mark of faith few could claim.  This was also not the first time she had asked Aliza to retrieve a relic of great power; she and her sisters frequently received such tasks between their usual scouting duties.  They were used to being told to find all manner of artifacts, from the extravagant to the innocuous.  What the goddess needed such items for, it was not their place to ask or to know, so never did they question.  Almost never.  When Aliza had been told she would be seeking a golem, she imagined a great hulking brute of stone, like the pictures in the monastery archives.  When the goddess had described a short slip of a girl, she doubted.  It was momentary, but she had doubted. 

:Why do you doubt me, Aliza?: she had asked quietly.  Even as she slept, Aliza had felt the shiver run down her spine at the tone.  She had witnessed first-hand the goddess's wrath and it was not fire and storm.  It was the piercing bite of winter, the whisper of wing and blade in the night.  Aliza did not know if she could answer back in the dream-speech, but she had dared not try.  She only cast her eyes down and vowed, silently, to not question the knowledge of She Whose Eye Watches from Darkness.  After all, Aliza had only been two days' ride away from the last sighting of a merchant in whose company a girl matching the golem's description had been seen.  How could she have known Aliza would be the closest Sister to the object of her desire were she not tracking its progress? 

And, as ever, the goddess had been right.  Standing ankle deep in the mud, its feet planted firmly as it hauled on a rope tied to the hitch of the wagon, was the golem, its appearance exactly as the goddess had described.  It couldn't be anything else, given the impossible feat of strength it was performing.  The wagon did not move much every time it threw its weight against the rope, but it did move, and there were a pair of waterlogged furrows in the mud behind the cart to show how far it had come.  Unfortunately for Aliza, though, it still had further yet to go, and its progress, however steady, was glacial, and the goddess preferred her prizes delivered sooner rather than later.  And since it seemed no one else was willing to help the golem get the wagon moving again, Aliza would have to.  However, she was reluctant to give up the advantage of surprise her position, unseen in the thick treetops, afforded her against the men who would no doubt object to her taking their servant. 

Settling her balance on the branch and taking her bow in her hand, she gently drew a pair of arrows from her quiver, distinct from the others for the yellow dye that edged their fletching.  The fine steel fieldheads of the arrows were marred by a sickly brown rippling, residue from the poison they had bathed in while they had sat in the quiver.  Careful not to let them rub across her bare skin, she knocked the arrows, drew the bow string, and called upon the True Sight. 

The True Sight was a gift from the goddess to all Sisters of the Sightless Eye, one that was vital to their work and equally difficult to describe succinctly.  For Aliza, it was as if her senses transcended the limitations of her mortal shell.  The True Sight brightened dark places and dimmed blinding light, identified ambushes, traps, and other dangers, marked trails and tracks, pierced veils, and revealed active magics.  It sorted sounds and scents, determined truths and falsehoods with a reasonable degree of confidence, and guided the hand to where it needed to strike.  Without the True Sight, many of the feats the Sisters were famed for would be impossible, and a fight against three-to-one odds would be something to be avoided.

With a Sight-guided turn of her wrist, she loosed the two arrows.  The three men were so engrossed in their diversions they did not hear the snap of the bowstring.  A pair of screams went up from the guards moments later as the arrows punched through their simple armor and lodged in their flesh, sending their hands of cards fluttering into the mud.  The cries immediately had the merchant jumping to stand on his seat and peeking over the top of the wagon's canopy to see what had caused it.  As he did, Aliza dropped out of the tree, rolled, and popped up on the far side of the wagon from the merchant.  Moving swiftly and silently through saturated mud was an ordeal when one didn't have a suitable distraction, but the labored breathing and pained grunting of the guards was loud enough to mask the slopping of Aliza's feet as she padded lightly around the wagon and behind the merchant's back.  Boosting herself up on a spoke of the banded wooden wheel, she siezed the merchant by the collar of his tunic and hauled him off the driver's bench, sending him into a sprawl in the mud.  She followed him down, drawing her dagger with her other hand and landing astride him with the dagger pressed against the pulse in his neck.  She held him there as the paralytic poison took hold of the guards and their gasping faded into feeble wheezing. 

"Now," she said at last, when everything had gone quiet save for the golem's tenacious continuance of its task.  "We are going to do this properly."

"A-anything, anything you want," the merchant stammered, raising his hands in surrender. 

"Good.  You are going to turn over control of your golem to me and then we are all going to get out of here alive."
"...who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?" -- Nighteyes

Serish: Demonblood sorcerer-spellsword

Alera N'Rali: Queen bee of The Sightless Eye information network

Kadakism

A short chorus of screams made Belafay stop pulling the cart. She let the ropes slip out of her grip and turned to watch as the caravan guards fell in the mud from their card game. Her face was impassive, stoic, but her eyes clearly signaled her annoyance at being interrupted.

She watched this would-be assassin drag the merchant off of his wagon and throw him into the mud, threatening his life with a dagger to his throat. She imagined that he had soiled himself. The merchant didn't get the chance to comply with the assassin's wishes, because Belafay herself spoke up.

"I am not his. He requested my aid and I agreed to give it because that is what I am. What business do you have with me? If you are here to kill me you will find that far more difficult than may be worth your time."

As she spoke, Belafay walked slowly in a circle around the cart, finding rocks hidden in the mud and absorbing them into herself through her feet. It would slow her down considerably, but would also blunt any steel used against her. A frustrating technique for blade wielding opponents taught to her by Fifth Master. She briefly considered removing her ears so she could not hear any commands.

But if it might get her out of this mud hole...

TheUnforgiving

Aliza watched the golem's display of power with only partly masked astonishment.  Had someone simply told her of it, she would have taken it for granted; after all, it was, logically, a perfectly obvious thing for a golem to do.  But to see it for herself... Aliza had served her time clearing the haunted ruins around the monastery, before she had been promoted to an international post, and in that time she had seen countless magical constructs and anomalies with powers unimaginable, but none had been able to draw in the very earth beneath them as if it had been water.  Aliza was not a mage and she had little frame of reference for what kind of power that represented, but to her limited understanding it seemed wondrous.  She was not certain why the goddess wanted this golem in particular, but if such power was unique, or even simply rare, she could understand why no ordinary construct would do. 

When she was done gawking, she finally centered herself and answered the golem directly.  "I am not here to kill you.  The opposite, in fact.  I come at the behest of your new master.  She has some need of you; I know not what, but it is not mine to ask.  I have been ordered to see you to her safely and with all haste."  She cast a pointed look down at the merchant, who was still staring wide-eyed at the arm holding the knife to his throat.  "I will also make gifts to her of these three and their cargo.  If it pleases you, I would ask your aid in getting the wagon moving again.  There is a fallen log about five minutes' walk downstream that should be up for the task.  If you could bring it here and get it under one of the front wheels of the wagon, it should be enough for the mules to pull the wagon free."

Kadakism

The order given, Belafay gave a jaded sneer at the woman. What good was asking if an action pleased her when they were just going to tell her what to do anyway? She took a brief moment to look pitifully at the merchant, who had very probably soiled himself if fear at having his life so casually threatened over a girl he'd just met. "I am truly sorry for the inconvenience, sir."

And then she trudged through the mud, still heavy with the stones in her body - she wasn't about to give them up when this woman might attack her at any moment. It was easy enough to find the log that she had mentioned, and Belafay hoisted it onto her shoulder as easily as one might a sack of grain. Her new tool in hand, she made her way back to the wagon to set it down as she had been instructed.

She was interrupted however by a new set of commands issued from the merchant, or rather a single, simple begged request.

"Please don't let her take me."

Belafay's eyes glittered softly as the two different commands battled with each other, her internal programming making exceptions and rewordings so that both could be accomplished. Sh turned around, still carrying the log over her shoulder, to face Aliza. Her fingers dug into the wood, gripping it so that, if the need arose, she could use it as a bludgeon.

"Let that man go free. You have the two guards you incapacitated, as well as your primary target, me. It would be a shame to have to return you to your master broken and explain why I had to harm you."

TheUnforgiving

Aliza was in the process of rehitching the mules when the golem returned, bearing the log with little apparent difficult. 

We may just get this wagon moving after all, she thought with relief.  I was not looking forward to taking this golem overland on foot, especially with it being so--

"Let that man go free. You have the two guards you incapacitated, as well as your primary target, me. It would be a shame to have to return you to your master broken and explain why I had to harm you."

Obstreperous.

With an exasperated sigh, Aliza weighed her options, though if she was honest with herself, there was only one.  She could deny the golem; however human it may look, it was still a magical construct, a machine like the ones in the Sleeping Cities, and machines could be disabled.  However, disabling the constructs in the Sleeping Cities required knowing how to disable them, which often was neither obvious nor easy, with brute force being at best inadvisable.  There no reason to think this golem was any different.  That left acquiescence.  The goddess was never pleased with acquiescence, but she did at least understand pragmatism; even if the merchant was the prisoner she would have preferred, it was far more preferable to have the golem. 

Aliza finished tying off the mules and slopped through the mud over to the large flat stone where she'd left the merchant and the paralyzed guards tied up but sitting comfortably.  Their lives may have been forfeit, but she still hadn't wanted to injure them too badly; they were of little use to the goddess if they died from infection on the road back to the monastery and the stench of death would have made an unpleasant traveling companion.  She undid the merchant's bonds under the golem's contemptuous gaze and with a twitch of her head indicated the merchant should run back to town.  He complied without hesitation.  The golem still didn't look pleased, but it was, perhaps, at least mollified for the moment. 

"Okay," she said at last.  "The cart's stuck because the ground pressure of the wheels is greater than what the mud can support.  Just hauling on it is only going to dig it deeper.  If we get the log under one of the wheels, it will spread out the weight of the cart and should prevent it from sinking enough for the mules and my horse to pull it free."

She pulled her camp axe out of her horse's saddlebags.  "Lay the log down and I'll cut a slope into one of the ends."

Kadakism

Once the donkeys were hooked up and the log was cut the way that Aliza had intended it to be, Belafay jammed it hard under the wheels of the wagon and spooked the beasts into action. They pulled and, true enough to the assassin's word, the cart moved. She would have to remember this for the future.

She expelled all but the largest of the stones from her body as she worked to help Aliza with the task of getting the wagon back onto the road. That stone, she kept hidden inside her torso where she subtly chipped it down to have a sharpened edge. Belafay didn't know if she would need such a weapon, but given the methods that this mysterious new master had used to collect her, it wasn't out of the question.

As the guards had no way of commanding their release, Belafay sighed and resigned herself to laying them carefully among the wagon's cargo. They would very likely die in agony: this was the way of things, she had learned. But that wasn't something that the golem could concern herself with at the moment.

"I am ready to go whenever you are," she said, not looking at Aliza and unsure of how to address her. A few terms came to mind, mostly ones used by Fifth Master and none of which were polite to say. She stood by the wagon, ready to move to wherever Aliza told her to sit or lie down for the trip.

TheUnforgiving

Aliza climbed inside the wagon and, when it became clear the golem was just going to stand there, indicated silently that it should take a seat inside, nearest to the driver's bench.  As it complied, Aliza knelt down next to the two restrained guards and began sorting through her alchemy pouch.  After a moment she retrieved a modest-sized bottle made of glass and sealed with a cork stopper dipped in wax.  With a gentle twist, she broke the seal and carefully set the stopper aside before reaching down to lift the head of one of the guards to the bottle.  She poured a measured dose of the alchemical concoction between his lips, set the bottle aside, then locked her hand firmly over his mouth.  His body, though paralyzed, was still able to react on the instinct.  Unable to breathe and with a mouthful of liquid it was unable to spit out, the guard swallowed the concoction.

She felt the golem's disapproving stare drilling directly between her shoulders as she laid the first guard's head down and moved on to the second.  "It will not harm them," Aliza assured it.  "It will make them sleep through the journey.  No dreams, no pain, no need for food or drink.  There will be a brief darkness and then they will wake.  We use it to ease our longer excursions, or when we are wounded and aid is not immediately forthcoming."

After both guards were asleep, she untied them, stripped off their armor, and bandaged the wounds her arrows had left.  The paralytic had prevented them from bleeding out, though their tunics were still wet with blood around the site where she'd hastily packed the arrows in place to prevent them from tearing the wounds wider.  She pulled the arrows out, repacked the wounds with fresh gauze, then wrapped a band of cloth around each of their chests to secure the packings in place.  Under the effects of the sleeping draught, the bandages shouldn't need to be changed, so she retied their bonds and laid them safely amongst the cargo.

With reasonable assurance that the guards would not wake or sleep eternal on the long road meet their fate, Aliza slipped nimbly past the golem and through the window in the cloth wagon cover that looked out on the driver's bench to take the reins of the mules.  "We'll make camp before sundown," she told the golem before driving the mules back towards the road.