Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Who Needs a Feather Bed? (Kada!)

Started by JackieCat, January 28, 2020, 10:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieCat

@Kada

"Ouch!"

Flordia winced as she shifted, her whole body screaming in protest.  She carefully pushed herself up, blinking the sleep from her eyes as she tried to get her bearings.

She was lying in an alleyway, the sunlight just peeking over the top of one of the buildings and onto her. She had crawled under this pile of garbage the night before to sleep, and to hide from anyone who may come by.  She knew her parents and their guards were looking for her, and while it was unlikely that they'd find her in this tiny town so soon after she'd left, she wasn't stupid.  It was wise to hide from everyone if you had to sleep on the street.

She heaved a sigh and slowly got to her feet, stretching as she did to not hurt her sore body even more.  The garbage had been softer than the cobblestone street would have been, but the princess was used to feather beds and cushy pillows in clean rooms, not dirty alleyways.

Her clothes, while plain, were of fine make, but they were now as dirty as her skin and tangle of blonde hair, and she looked more like a street urchin than a runaway princess.  No one would take notice of her, unless to possibly give her a dirty look.

The young elf headed out of the alleyway and onto the main street.  It was early, and the docks were buzzing with activity.  Fishermen sold their catch, collected before the sun had even risen, and sailors bustled about; loading and unloading cargo, buying supplies, and some staggering across the piers, still drunk from the previous night's revelry.

Amidst it all was Flordia.  And she was alone.  Completely and utterly alone.

It didn't feel as foreign as Flordia would have expected it to.

There had always been people around her in the castle -servants, ladies-in-waiting, guards, noblemen and women, tutors-, but they'd all only been there for their jobs.  Had only been there to serve her, or teach her, or greet her kindly with the sole intention of her mentioning their kindness to her parents, the Kind and Queen, so they may gain favor.  There had been select few that had ever been there for her.

At least now, here in this marketplace, no one was pretending to be her friend.  They ignored her.  They treated her not like a princess, but like a normal person.  A commoner.

That was perhaps the happiest thought she'd had in a while.

She longed to stay here all day, but an angry fishmonger started yelling at her, telling her she was blocking his stall and scaring away all his customers.

"They won't want to buy from me if they think they're going to get their purses stolen by some dirty little street urchin?!"

Flordia bolted down the street to escape the man's angry words, and the fish heads he had started throwing at her.  When she came to a walk she realized how lightheaded she was.  She hadn't eaten in over a day, and the princess was used to three square meals.

Her hands immediately went to the pockets of her trousers, and a sigh of relief escaped her upon feeling their contents.  The left pocket was filled with coins -the money she had stashed away in the hopes that someday she would leave the castle-, and the other with her jewelry.  The jewelry was far more valuable than the coins.  She didn't know how valuable, but she knew she couldn't afford to lose them.  Luckily, all the pieces were there.  Two earrings, a necklace, and two rings.

She could use them to get out of here.  Her eyes fell upon one of the huge ships that sat in the harbor.  She could use them to sail out of here.  Her parents would never expect her to do that.  She could escape.  Finally.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Kadakism

Unlike the princess, Burton had not slept on the street. He had shared a bed with a young dock worker's wife whose home he left before the sun rose and her husband came home from working overnight.

He strolled through the street, eating a hunk of cheese and some bread he had taken from the house on his way out. Burton had a spring in his step and a smile on his face despite his recent unemployment. Getting fired was always a real downer, but getting fired by being tossed off of the ship was even worse. They hadn't been able to keep him off the ship though, and he escaped the next time they had come into port.

The differences between himself and Flordia didn't stop at their sleeping accommodations. While people mostly ignored the obviously homeless little girl, people took notice of the man swaggering his way towards the docks. They pretended not to notice him or the hand he had on the pommel of his sword, practically daring anyone to mess with him.

He swept the area, turning his head more than a person normally did to compensate for his blind spot. He didn't look particularly mean or angry, but Burton carried on him a kind of dangerous confidence that bordered on hubris. Very much like his father, the 'good' Lord Crawford of Summervale, much to Burton's own chagrin.

He stopped, taking a look over the ships that were docked. Mostly merchant types and mostly full up on crewmen by the looks of it. Checking the purse tied to his elbow inside of his shirt, he guessed that he had enough to hire passage on a ship if he really wanted to. Taking one last bite of the hunk of bread in his hand to mull it over, he gave a shrug. "Why the fuck not?"

It didn't matter where the ship was going. He really couldn't care less about the destination. He just needed to get out of this area. Despite his proclivities, he didn't like being this close to Zantaric. Too many egos to butt up against his.

JackieCat

Flordia walked right past the large passenger vessels, knowing that even if she had enough money for passage, she couldn't afford to use up all her resources on a luxury cruise.

She passed the fishing trawlers as well, but slowed when she approached the merchant ships.  Her eyes fell on a mid-sized ship that was currently being loaded up with crates and boxes.  Flordia knew little of ships, but this one appeared somewhat old, but sturdy and well-cared for.  Maybe they would be willing to grant passage to a runaway.

Flordia started for the ship, and noticed a man on the docks.  He had an air about him that suggested he wasn't one to be messed with, and the young elf gave him a wide berth as she approached the merchant vessel.

There was a man standing by the gangplank, taking inventory of everything that was being brought aboard, parchment and quill in hand.  Flordia walked up to him.

"Excuse me, sir," she said, and he looked up at her over his glasses.  He immediately scowled.

"I need passage out of here," Flordia said quickly, and she hurried on as he opened his mouth to protest. "I can pay!  Just tell me how much."

He narrowed his eyes at this, obviously doubtful, but he told her the price.

Flordia bit her lip.  She didn't have enough coins for that, and she hadn't wanted to try using her jewelry so soon.  People would be very suspicious of a young vagabond with those kinds of riches.

"I can work, to help pay?"  she said, and the man scowled again.

"Money, or no passage."

Flordia sighed.  She reached into her pocket and pulled out one ring.  It was the plainest she had with her, but the man's eyes widened upon seeing it.

"Where did you get that?" he snapped, his tone accusatory, but his eyes did not leave the jewelry.

"It doesn't matter." Flordia slipped the ring back into her pocket.  Better not let the whole dock know what she had.  "But it's yours if you take me with you."

The man narrowed his eyes, his gaze flicking to her pocket before he nodded slowly.  "Alright," he said. "We'll take you.  Now, give me the ring and get on the ship.  We leave at noon."

Flordia grinned, pulling the ring out of her pocket and handing it to the man. "Thank you, sir, I won't be any trouble!"

She ran up the gangplank, the man grumbling behind her.  She was getting out of here!
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Kadakism

Having one good eye meant that you had to learn to pay attention more closely than other people. Burton had learned this a long time ago, and he was good at noticing things. Like a distinctly small, shiny thing passing between the hands of a pretty young squirrel and the boatswain of one of the ships he had been considering.

Well that settled it then, didn't it?

He approached with all the blustering jackassery of a military officer, puffing up his chest and digging into the crook of his elbow to get at the handful of coins he assumed he would need to pay for passage. He kept his tone low enough that others on the dock hopefully couldn't hear him, "Morning, ser. I couldn't help but notice you letting that waif on board your ship. You do realize that slave trading is illegal yes? Even if she is just an urchin."

The man bristled, opening his mouth to defend himself. Burton lifted his hand to stop him. "Silas McCready, Naval Officer First Class. Regrettably retired. Couldn't very well keep up my soldiering after I went half blind."

The man interrupted now, tightening the grip on his quill in something like anxiety. "Ser I assure you, I have no intention of selling that little girl. She paid for passage, just like anyone else."

"Just like anyone else, bosun? Didn't look like a handful of coin she handed you."

The man's face fell slightly at that, and he glanced down at his pocket where he had put the ring.

"Let's see it then," Burton demanded, holding out his hand expectantly. The man hesitated, but Burton urged him on with a quick, "Come on now. I don't want to have to get the guard involved."

With the ring placed in his waiting hand, Burton quickly brought it up to his good eye and examined it thoughtfully. The craftsmanship was lovely. Possibly Serenian make? Definitely not something a street urchin could afford. Stolen? Maybe. But a girl smart enough to steal a ring this valuable shouldn't be stupid enough to try and use it for passage on a ship.

No, Burton knew this behavior quite well. He'd done something similar himself, pawning his dueling saber for traveling money when he'd run away. Clever little squirrel.

Clenching his fist around the ring, Burton pocketed it and swapped it for a slightly larger stack of coins than he knew passage cost. "I'll be taking passage on this ship, bosun. To keep that girl safe from your vile clutches. And I will be keeping this ring as evidence of your corruption." It wasn't a request, but a demand. All of the information had flown at the boatswain so quickly, he was having trouble processing. A classic grifter's trick.

Burton leaned in close, putting the stack of coins directly into the man's hand without giving him a chance to reject them. He whispered in the boatswain's ear as he passed, "Good man. I knew you'd see the error of your ways."

On the ship, Burton immediately set to looking for the blonde little waif he'd seen hand the boatswain the ring in the first place. She couldn't be that hard to find, given that she was probably the dirtiest looking person on the ship. When he did find her, Burton slowed his pace down and relaxed his shoulders. At ease. Less intimidating. The charming gentleman his father had always wanted him to be.

"Miss? I believe you dropped something."

JackieCat

Indeed, Flordia looked quite out of place on the ship.  She had moved to one of the rails to stay out of the way of the crewmen who were bustling about on the ship, so busy with their work that they barely noticed her.  She watched them, however, her wide lavender eyes taking in everything they could about her new surroundings.

She'd been on a ship before, but it had been like one of the passenger ships she'd walked right past moments before.  They had been built for comfort, for the pleasure of the rich and powerful.  They were not the working, breathing entity that this vessel seemed to be.

She was so enthralled with the activity around her than she did not hear the man approaching her, and jumped when she heard the voice addressing her. She turned to see who it was and her eyes widened.  It was the man who had been on the docks, the one she had avoided.  He still had that air about him, but now he appeared more relaxed, more approachable. . .  But Flordia knew very little of the world, and perhaps her only advantage was that she knew she knew very little.

She smiled at him politely, but not too politely. "Excuse me?  Dropped something, sir?"

She didn't realize how refined she sounded, how very un-street-urchin-like.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

Up close like this, he could see it plainly. Her skin, while dirty from apparently sleeping outside or something, was still clearer and softer looking than any peasant. Likewise her hair, tangled mess that it was, was still cut more expertly than any commoner could afford. Little details, the kind you might not know to look for if you didn't grow up around all that bluff and bluster.

"Yes indeed, miss," Burton said, taking his hand off of his sword and slipping his other hand into his pocket. Luckily, Burton himself wasn't a very tall man and so the two of them were able to stand at just about eye level as he pulled the ring out and flashed it quickly between his fingers.

And then it vanished again, hidden  within his clenched fist. His smile never wavered, seeming more pleasant rather than smug. "I didn't think a thief could be so pretty. Who'd you steal this from?"

JackieCat

The ring.  How did he get it?

"I didn't steal it!" was her automatic response, but then again, it probably would've been anyone's, and she quickly realized that it definitely sounded like a lie.  Good, she didn't want anyone, let alone this man, to know who she really was.

"I found it," she continued slowly.  "And I paid that man with it for passage on this ship.  Without passage I'm stuck here!"

She didn't know how this man had gotten the ring from the other man, but she didn't want to get kicked off the ship because he stole her means of passage.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

"Oh you're adorable, little squirrel," Burton said, letting a bit of his usual snark take over. He looked supremely amused and slid the ring back into his pocket and and gave her an indifferent shrug.

"You're fine. The bosun won't even look at you, let alone drag you off the ship." A small, genuinely mirthful laugh passed Burton's lips as he looked back over at the gangplank, where the boatswain was very deliberately concentrating on the newest set of passengers. "You're not very good at this little orphan street thief thing though, you know?"

As Burton playfully chided Flordia, he subtly tripped a young deckhand carrying bags of provisions. The boy went sprawling and Burton, in a sudden change in demeanor, moved swiftly to help him up. He helped pick up some of the scattered fruit and hard biscuits, probably food for the crew rather than the passengers, and sent the boy on his way after a half dozen overdone apologies.

Once the boy was back to work, Burton reached into his coat and produced two oranges and biscuits, holding them for Flordia to see with a smirk. "Hungry?"

JackieCat

Flordia didn't like his tone, and didn't like what he said. "You're not very good at this little orphan street thing"  What did he mean?  Could he know who she was?

She jumped again as the deckhand fell, and the man helped him up.

Her eyes widened at the food he then offered her. "You stole that!" she hissed, but her eyes were locked onto the food as her stomach growled. "You should give it back!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

Burton snorted, biting back a laugh as he tossed one of the biscuits over the edge of the ship, where it splashed and floated useless in the sea water.

"Yeah, and? You stole that ring. Shouldn't you have given it back?"

He tossed one of the oranges into the air, catching it back in his hand. "I had a lovely breakfast. Nice rye bread and a good aged cheese. I don't really need the food right now. So I guess if I was wrong about you being hungry..."

One of the oranges followed the first biscuit over the edge and into the water with a barely audible splash. He held the remaining food in one hand, teasing Flordia with it.

JackieCat

Flordia let out a small, involuntary yelp as he threw the food into the water, and her stomach growled again.  She crossed her arms over her chest and scowled at the man.  She was starting to like him less and less every second.

"Fine," she said, eyeing what was left of the food. "You're right, I'm hungry.  But I told you, I found the ring.  I didn't steal it."

She looked him over again. "Who are you, anyway?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

Burton smirked and pressed the food into Flordia's hands, giving her a wink and the advice, "Better eat it quick. Don't want the crew seeing you, eh?"

Taking a step back, he gave a deep, flourishing bow that was very much a mockery of the kind given by Serenian aristocracy. Some habits were nearly impossible to break. "Burton Lamont. Fast fingers, faster tongue. And sure. You found it. Probably on someone's finger or in their pocket. Listen, little squirrel. Your secret's safe with me if only because I think it's hilarious how genuinely shitty you are at all of this."

"You do know what happens to a thief on a ship, right? They take back what you stole from your flesh, pound for pound. It'd be a shame for a pretty little thing like you to get all marred like that."
At least, that was what had happened on one of the pirate ships he'd been on when you stole from another member of the crew. But details, details.

JackieCat

At his words Flordia felt her stomach clench, and she shoved the food into her pocket quickly.  Hopefully no one had seen.  If they thought she had stolen the food, not only would they do what Burton had described -which sounded terrible-, but they would find her jewelry.  They would no doubt take it from her, and she would be left with nothing.

"I'm Flordia, Flordia-!" She realized how stupid she was for saying her real name, and stumbled over the words as she continued. "Flordia Gi-Ginnera."

He definitely knew she wasn't who she was claiming to be, but she wasn't going to give him any more information than she needed to, at least not give it to him intentionally.

She had recognized his bow, and how easily it had come to him.  He definitely was a shady character, perhaps he was hiding something as well?

Flordia wanted to get away from him before he caused her more trouble or made her make any more stupid mistakes, but there wasn't really anywhere to go, so the young elf turned back to the man.  She stood up straighter and looked him in the eye.  If she was going to be on her own, she would at least have to try to appear confident in what she was doing.

"I'm on this ship to get out of this little town and away from here," she said. "Why are you here?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

Flordia Ginerra. Probably not totally fake, with how quickly she'd come up with it. But he didn't recognize either name. It wasn't much consequence to him anyway.

"I'm here because I want to be. I decided a long time ago that I was going to do whatever I wanted, little flower." He smiled at her, subtly leaning on the railing of the ship to both better hide Flordia from the crew and also make it harder for her to leave.

"I left my last job, so I'm looking for work. I got on this ship though because I saw your fare and I was intrigued."

JackieCat

Flordia felt her skin crawl.  Her was on this ship because of her?  If she'd had disposable funds, she would have left the vessel right then and there to find another one.  But, even if she'd had the money to spend, which she didn't, he would probably follow her to whatever boat she went to.  If only to get on her nerves, which he seemed to like doing, and was very adept at.

Well, if they were going to be stuck on this ship for who knows how long, she may as well at least try not to make and enemy of him.

"Well, there's not much more to me than that, I'm afraid," she said. "I found the ring," she put an emphasis on the word 'found', "and I realized I could get out of this town and maybe do something with my life other than becoming a fisherman's wife.  Nothing against fishermens' wives, of course."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

"Nothing against them in the least," he said with a grin, eyes tea sling around her form. Burton snorted and shook his head a little. "I happen to love fisherman's wives. Fucked one last night, in fact."

"Alright though, alright. That's your story, I won't begrudge you for not wanting to deviate from it." Holding up a hand apologetically, Burton scratched at his cheek as he considered the dock below them. The ship was almost ready to leave, but he could get off anytime he wanted.

"So, you're out on your own. Awful brave of you, little squirrel. You seem like you could use a friend. And to your good fortune, my friendship is for sale. If you happened to have... found any more baubles, or money, you'll never have a better friend than me. I've been a thief, a prostitute, an assassin, a bodyguard."

JackieCat

Flordia grimaced slightly at his words.  He obviously had no qualms about his word-choice, or any shame, for that matter.

He still didn't believe her, but she would stick to her story, for now, at least.

"I don't need any help," Flordia said quickly, almost without thinking, as he offered his services.  But then she paused.  Maybe he could help her.  She thought of her brothers, they were out here, in the world.  If she could find them, maybe they would be able to help her get a handle on living outside of a castle.  After all, they had both had to make the transition, same as she was going to have to.

However, Flordia wasn't quite ready to trust this man yet, if ever.  He did not seem like the trustworthy type.

"Even if I did," she continued slowly, choosing her words carefully. "We're both going to be stuck on this ship for a while, I have plenty of time to think about it."

The ship was really starting to get underway now, and Flordia couldn't help but watch in wonder as the crewmen readied the ship to sail.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

"Fair enough, little squirrel. You're wrong about one thing though..."

Burton seemed to vanish from in front of Flordia, in the blink of an eye. He was gone for several seconds and then reappeared in the same spot, holding a coin purse in his hands. Down on the docks, a man in the crowd seemed to panic and shout about a thief and his missing money. Burton jingled the pouch a bit, relieving a few of the coins from inside it before tossing the rest overboard like trash.

If the man had any inkling that someone on the ship might have taken his money, it was too late by far. The boatswain's whistle called for the sailors to get the ship moving and it lurched forward at their collective command.

"I can leave this ship anytime I want. So if you're going to think about that offer of mine, you'd better hope I stay entertained."

"How about this. Pretend I'm an open book. Anything you want to know about me, you can ask. But you only get, let's say..." Burton parceled out five of the coins and offered them to her. "As many questions as you have coins. Each question you ask and pay me for, I'll answer truthfully. Or if you happen to have a request, like someone's nose broken or one of that lady's dresses," he said, nodding over to another passenger who was stuck to her husband's arm like an accessory.

"It'll be fun, yeah?"

JackieCat

Flordia didn't think it sounded very fun.  This man was proving himself to be more and more dangerous by the second, and Flordia didn't think that he was the best person to be 'helping' someone like her.  Someone with no experience in the real world.

His magic had startled the young elf, but his theft from the man on the docks only cemented Flordia's previous assumptions about him.  He was dangerous, yes, but even more dangerous was his mannerisms, and Flordia did not want to get caught up in the games he seemed to enjoy playing so much.

However, it seemed she already was, and, as he obviously wasn't going to leave her alone, she was stuck with him for the time being.

"Fine," she huffed, taking the five coins from him and slipping them into her pocket.  She thought for a moment.  "I only have five questions, and, unless you get bored, of course, we'll be on this ship a while.  So, I think I'll take some time to think of a good question."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

"Fair enough, little squirrel."

Burton left Flordia alone for the rest of the day and well into the next, amusing himself primarily by teasing out which of the married couple he could convince to join him in his room before the journey ended. If Flordia was watching his antics, and he didn't know or care if she was, she would see that despite his gruff, somewhat unhinged nature he could play the affable, dashing rogue if he wanted. If he had something to gain by playing it, that was.

Some handful of hours after midday, Burton was up on the deck, staying out of the crew's way and whittling away at a block of wood with a small knife he carried on him. He was bored, but the couple was busy with other affairs and so he had to entertain himself until he could reinsert himself into their business.