Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You Can't Run From the Nightmares [visualspice]

Started by DragonSong, May 10, 2020, 12:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Jaz stared at him, then down at their joined hands, then back again.

Why did he keep touching her?!

Trying to draw her hand back, she muttered sullenly, "What part of this--" she gestured vaguely toward herself with her free hand-- "makes you think I have friends around here?"

visualspice

Jace's expression got very serious as he stared at her, almost as if he felt pity towards her- which he did as he asked, "You... don't have any friends?"
And it sounded like the saddest question in the world.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Quite despite herself, Jasper felt her hackles raising, almost...offended by the pity in his tone. Which she knew was ridiculous, but she couldn't help it.

"I get by just fine on my own," she snapped, not caring how true it was in that particular moment. She gave another halfhearted tug at her hand. "Would you please let go of me? Seriously, what do you want?"

visualspice

He couldn't help but still pity her. And she was trying to be so brave and hide it!
At her questions, he shook his head.
"I told you, I don't want-"
He paused, something strange occurred- a brief flash, a day dream...
An image of the fallen log from his dream...
But it was gone as soon as it came, leaving his face to contort oddly before he finished his sentence.

"...anything."
He glanced away a moment, wondering what the heck prompted that. That never happened before.

Was... something wrong? Was who he looking for.. in trouble? Did he need to go back to his dreams?
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Jasper gave him an odd look. What was that all about?

"Look, just...just gimme a day to get you the money I owe you or whatever, alright?" she grumbled as she finally managed to extricate her hand from his grip and took a sharp step back, nearly fetching up against the alley wall.

She was so intent on getting away from this odd boy that at first she didn't notice the gentle tingling in her fingertips, growing steadily stronger until it actually began to heat the interior of her gloves.

visualspice

"Pay?" He shook his head. "Now you gotta know I won't allow that." He was all smiles again. "But if you really wanted to make it up to me, maybe you and I could journey together through town? I mean, we're both not from around here so.." he gave a nonchalant but friendly shrug about it. "And whose to say I don't offer you some dinner later for your time?" It seemed she was hard on money. She could probably use a nice day to be treated well! And while he was here... it couldn't hurt to help the young lady. She was cute too, so that always made it a plus. A pretty companion and a dinner date- sounded good to him!

DragonSong

"Okay, was I too subtle before? I'm not interested in whoring myself," Jasper snapped, folding her arms as she glared at him.

Because sure, maybe that was a genuine invitation—but to her, coming from where she did, leading the life she had, well...the odds of that didn't seem so great in her eyes.

She was fairly confident in her ability to defend herself, if it came down to it, but she wanted to make sure she'd driven her point home first.

visualspice

Jace was taken aback. That was NOT what he expected her to say.

"I... think we somehow got off on the wrong... foot?" he asked, still uncertain how things escalated. "I would never trick you into something like that, or am trying to woo you into such things," he danced around the word, clearly not saying it. "I was genuinely seeking a companion since I'm new in town too."

He frowned. Perhaps he was being too forward. His over eagerness and friendly demeanor didn't always come across as such or was always welcome. Infact, one time, an old lady beat him off with a broom!

He raised his hand, as if in surrender. "I'd never force you into it. You're free to go about your day without me."

But... but..
He had offered her dinner.
Didn't she like food? It seemed to be a trend with her...
At least, well, the other person paying part.

What sort of life had she left where she was so against accepting gifts?

DragonSong

Jasper stared at him for several long moments, gears turning behind her eyes.

“Oh my dear sweet gods.” She exhaled heavily and closed her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose. “You’re serious. You were being serious. Sweet fuck, how are you even real?”

Despite herself, despite everything, she could feel an incredulous giggle bubbling in her throat. She tried to swallow it down, giving her head a brisk shake before she looked Jace up and down again.

“Alright, little dove. Let’s go for a walk,” she acquiesced with a sigh. Because she couldn’t pay him back, but she didn’t want to be in his debt either, and if all he really wanted from her was some company and conversation—hells. Why not. It wasn’t like she’d be sticking around town long anyway.

visualspice

He tried to tuck back his smile, but it was hard to contain it.
He moved to walk with her, gesturing for her to tag along as he moved towards the inner part of the town.
"You sure about this?" he asked, feeling a bit guilty she just caved and all. He leaned towards her, giving a charming but sheepish grin. "I mean, I know some girls fancy I can be good looking.." he teased...
Hopefully the jest wouldn't scare her away, but he liked to poke fun at others, and it's been a while he could jest around with someone and..
part of him felt comfortable with her, even if she was..
well, a bit grouchy on the outside!

DragonSong

Jaz glared at him, but didn't hit him, which for her was actually almost affectionate. "I'm sure they do," she drawled laconically. "Forgive me if I don't see the appeal."

That was a lie. He was adorable—boyish, but with a few sharp lines to his form and features that belied the kind of man he may grow into.

But thinking about that was hardly a protective use of her time, so she ignored it. "So. Jace." She said his name like it was a foreign word she didn't quite understand the meaning of. "Where exactly are you planning to go from here?"

visualspice

And boyish he was, as he smiled at her while they walked and gave a casual shrug.
"I don't know. I don't exactly have a particular or set plan." Which was true. He just knew his goal was close and the dreams would continue to point him in the right direction...Or the trail grow cold if he had gone the wrong way. So he may as well enjoy companionship on his long road where he could. He never knew where he might show end up next.

"I just intended to enjoy the day. See the sights, that sort of thing." He turned to her, curiously. "What about you? Got any time to join me for dinner after our stroll?"
Somehow, his conversations tended to lead with food. Then again, he did like to eat!

DragonSong

Well…in for a penny…

Plus, free food. How often did she get that?

Well, almost free. Bought with conversation, apparently. She supposed she’d done worse for less.

“Sure,” she answered with a shrug. “Why the hells not.”

Her eyes kept flitting about warily as they walked, but she had to admit that so far it was just…a nice day in town. No sign of danger, aside from the general oddness of her companion. But she was starting to believe that was just how he was.

visualspice

Jace laughed.
"So it's a date?" He teased, then offered out his arm in the most gentlemanly manner.

DragonSong

Jasper groaned even as she cautiously took his arm. "I knew it. I knew I was going to regret this," she grumbled—though by now it seemed it was almost more for the form of the thing than because she was truly annoyed.

It was just one day. She could spare that; it wasn't as though she had any particular destination in mind herself, and she highly doubted her old teacher would simply pop up on the next street at any given moment.

visualspice

He couldn't help but laugh.
"You're making it sound like my company is such a bad thing. But I can assure you, I'm no more crazy than the next person you'll meet!"

Was that even a compliment to himself? Either way, he was having fun, and a part of him sensed.. or rather hoped, that she was having fun, too.

"Come on," he tugged her along. "Oh, look! An antique shop!" He spun to her. "Wanna look inside and check out all the old stuff in there?"

DragonSong

"Do I have a choice?" Jasper sighed, but she allowed him to pull her along without any resistance.

Antiques. Huh. Okay.

Maybe she could actually find something useful in here. Sure, Connlaoth had cracked down on magic hard in recent years--decades--whatever, she couldn't keep up. But that hadn't always been the case. Maybe...maybe she could find something to help.

Help with what? a cynical voice asked in the back of her mind. Did she really think she could ever go back home?

Did she even have one anymore?

Jasper's steps slowed slightly and her brow furrowed as she tried to shake that thought away.

visualspice

Jace laughed and joked as he took her hand, "I guess not!" and playfully pulled her along, opening the door for her and gesturing insid, "After you, my lady." And as he did so, something tensed when the scent of this woman (a strange smell of sun and something sweet) mixed with the musty, dusty air of the Antique shop...
And his mind went to the swamp in his dreams...
To the running in the bog and....

He shook it off and smiled more broadly.
"I bet there's a lot of neat stuff in there." He tore his eyes away from her and looked within, and as his eyes adjusted, he noticed some cool brass trinkets.
"Oh! Look at those!" And he moved passed her to scoop them but- not with his hands, but his eyes- taking in all the ornate details where intricately cut holes were bunched through the metal and small, faded gems lined along the sides. It looked like some strange trinket box, circular in shape with a latched lid that Jace poked with a finger.

DragonSong

Once again, Jasper felt her magic flare as though in response to--to something. But it couldn't be Jace, could it? He was so harmless it was almost unreal!

She had to pull her hand back from his, fearing that he would feel the rising heat of the power at her fingertips even through her gloves. She wrung her hands together, hoping to pass the movement off as a nervous tic rather than a rejection of contact.

"Hm? What is it?" She was so distracted by her own thoughts that she actually had to give her head a brisk shake to refocus on what had captured her companion's attention. Her eyebrows crept up once she had, and she gave a low whistle. "Aw, damn, I haven't seen one of those since I left Ser--home." She winced as she stumbled over the words, but barreled on in an effort to hide the slip, "I mean, if it's what I think it is. Might just be a pretty box, but it looks like..."

She narrowed her eyes, cocking her head as she took a step closer. "It looks like an old Serenian puzzle box. See how the latch has those three grooves on either side of it? You're supposed to be able to spin the lid to get them to line up so it'll open. I think."

visualspice

"Really? Woah.."
Jace looked the thing over, tugging here and pulling there before something clanked to the ground.
"Whoops. " He bent down and picked up...
"Is this a key?"