Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Let's Rock and Roll! (M)

Started by visualspice, August 15, 2021, 07:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Tags @DragonSong

"So we have a deal?"

He chewed on his cigarette and gave a curt nod.

"Well, the moneys right. Wife might be none to happy... but you said it's just temporary? I'm sure we can all adjust for just a few months, eh?" He flicked his cigarette to the ground, stomping it out before producing the next. He was jittery. He was trying to kick his alcohol addiction after the last... incident, and cigarettes weren't much better. He was smoking like a chimney now.

"You sure this Chase guy will be alright with all this? That's.. a lot of money."

"The idea is no one will find him here. Your place.. no offense, is one of the last places his fans.. and well, these crazies, ought to look. The guards are looking into it but his entire home was destroyed. Man was lucky to be alive. No burns but the smoke did a number on him. Can't let him perform for a while as that voice needs to heal. We don't want him to damage those pricy vocal cords."

Smoke curled from his nostrils. He hated the burn, but was internally gnawing over his decision. But money was money..
And it was a lot of money. Maybe his wife would forgive him for it. She could buy a lot of new things for her bakery...

"I have to travel most of the day for my job.. now you're certain I don't have to be there to protect him too? Just offer up my home, a bed... and just ensure we keep our mouths shut?"

"That's the idea."

He nodded firmly. "Very well. I'll get horses. Just be sure he... You say he's very recognizable?"

"Apparently to everyone but you."

He made a face.

"I don't give a rats ass about musicians. Famous or not, I have better things to do than fawn over a pretty voice."

The man laughed. "I'd say you and me both but it makes me a pretty penny. So.. you're in?"

"Yeah, yeah." He turned to look at the tavern this famous singer was staying.

"Just.. be sure he's dressed none too fancy. And something to obscure his face. We'll be traveling at least an hour and even with the sun setting..."

"Don't worry. I'll be sure he's prepared."

The sun was low by the time they rolled down the dirt street labeled Hicock Lane. It was a small street with just a handful of plain houses, with little plots of land large enough for small gardens and yard. Most had their own barns. They weren't poor folk that lived here, but they were also not the richest. They lived mostly quietly here, the majority traveling to the city for their jobs.

Javen Rolx was no exception. He normally got up early and was home late. Today was no exception. He was  late, as usual, but this time not because he was at the bar. His wife was never pleased, and today.. hopefully she wouldn't be livid.

He paused to observe the man behind him. Bright blue eyes shined as he smiled, his grin, lopsided with cheeks dimpling. His hair was a bit of a mess. Javen didn't understand the appeal. I mean sure, he was good looking- but why all the fuss?

"Just remember, don't mind my wife." He paused, hand on the handle. "These arrangements were last minute."

Chase nodded and looked at the door, waiting quietly as Javen opened the door and stepped inside, Chase following soon after.

"Hey, Nyla.. where you at? I got someone for you to meet... and some news I need you not to scold me about."

Chase stood back, closing the door behind him and leaning against it. His hands were empty, Javen insisted on carrying his bags. He was never really used to that- people constantly wanting to treat him like near royalty. There was a lot of personal things in that bag... at least that what was left to him after the fire.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

((Thread CW: domestic abuse))

She still wasn't used to the quiet.

Nyla had lived nearer to the city center of Reajh since she'd arrived in Connlaoth almost six years ago, and she had quickly grown accustomed to the rhythm of running her little bakery, and all the noise that entailed: up before dawn, the only time she could expect some quiet, then the doors open at sunrise, and then work work work until dusk when she could close up shop and retire to the one-room flat she'd lived in above her little bakehouse.

But that wouldn't do for a married woman. In fact, just being able to keep her business running at all was something of a luxury. She knew that. She was lucky Javen hadn't made a fuss when she'd requested the kitchen of his home be turned into something like her old bakehouse, lucky that a few of the "strays" (as some had dubbed themselves) that she used to feed for free from her bakery were willing to run deliveries into the city proper and to her storefront for a few coins--luckier still that the oldest set were happy to run the shop itself for a bit of extra coin.

Lucky.

Didn't mean she didn't miss her little flat.

She just wasn't used to the quiet.

The angle of sunlight coming in through the kitchen--bakehouse?--window seemed to be growing sharper with each passing breath, and eventually Nyla sighed and set aside the dough she'd need to leave to rise overnight and began work on dinner. Her husband was late. Again.

That was fine.

I'm lucky to be here, she reminded herself firmly as she worked. A married woman was respectable. Safe. Especially some place like Hickock Lane. It didn't matter that she couldn't live as she used to; the security was worth the sacrifice.

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts that the sound of the door opening actually made her jump. "Oh--!" She looked around at the half-made dinner and winced. He wasn't going to be pleased about that.

The kitchen was separated from the main room of the house by a narrow door, and she always had to jimmy the handle a bit before it would turn properly. "I'm here," she called distractedly as she slipped through, glancing down at herself. Damn. She hadn't had any time to clean up. "I'm here, I was just starting dinner--"

Nyla's voice trailed off sharply when she looked up and saw Javen standing in the doorway with a stranger and...a bag. Her eyes, a shade of green so dark it was almost black, widened considerably, and a faint blush painted itself across her fair cheeks. Immediately, she began fussing with her hair and clothes, trying to tuck the flyaway curls that had escaped throughout the day back into the scarf she wore around her head and bat away some of the flour that coated her modest, homespun dress and the apron she wore over it.

She didn't seem to notice the smudge of flour streaked across her left cheek.

Her eyes flickered toward Javen, wary. "You...didn't tell me we were having a...guest?" Her tone was soft, and she tried to keep accusation out of it, but wasn't sure she managed properly.

visualspice

Haven sighed and knew he had to be firm and brief. He hadn't had liquor yet so first thing was first.

"Why don't you pour some drink for us and our guest."
A suggestion, but also a command.  And drink closely meant his alcohol.

He gestured towards Chase whom still stood by the door.
"There's a good story behind all of this so perhaps we ought to take a seat? I know our home isn't anything like you're used to-" Chase stopped him there as he moved past him to expect the home. He wore a small smile the entire time he took in all the minute details as he said
"I'm  no stranger to a modest home. Grew up in a small part of Reajh much smaller than this. " He paused to look at Javen to assure him, "I'm a guest so I would never complain. " He then turned his attention to the wife, taking her in and noticing the flour coating her- even her cheek. He scratched at his own cheek, hoping she'd get the hint as he cleared his throat to tell her, honestly, "You have a lovely home." Then he extended out his hand. "I'm Chase Vander. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Rolx. Hope I'm saying that right." He smiled, eyes bright but something about him had a quietness to it,  reserve.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Oh, drat.

Blush flaring hotter, Nyla quickly reached up to swipe at her cheek, flushing even more when a few wisps of flour puffed into the air with her movements.

"Oh, um—Nyla. Just Nyla is fine," she murmured as she reached out to take Chase's offered hand and shook politely. Mrs. Rolx. She hated that.

It took her a moment to realize she'd held the handshake a little too long, but once she did she quickly snatched her hand back. "Right! I'll—why don't you two make yourselves comfortable, I'll be right back with, um..."

She looked from her husband to Chase, then asked their guest softly, "There's a nicer wine in the cellar, if you'd like that?" She knew Javen would take ale as long as she brought it to him.

visualspice

His smile grew when he watched her realize the flour smudge but at her suggestion of wine, he simply shrugged.
"Whatever he's drinking is fine. No need to inconvenience yourself, Nyla."

Javen cleared his throat.
"Come, sit. I'll take your bag to your room and then we can talk." And he tottled off towards the direction of their bedroom.

DragonSong

"Yes, sir." Nyla bobbed her head demurely before scurrying back into the kitchen.

She took a moment to try to collect herself, one hand pressed to her still flaming cheeks. Goodness. What was Javen thinking? Why had Chase had a bag? How long was he staying? Where was he staying?

Thoughts whirling, she went through the motions of gathering drinks--though nothing for herself, she didn't have the head for alcohol and so had never developed a taste for it--then quickly finished up with the dinner preparations she'd been in the middle of when she heard the door open.

"Um, here." She cautiously stepped out into the main room and placed the drinks on the mantel above the hearth before kneeling to stoke the flames slightly. "Dinner is--well, I didn't realize we'd be having a guest, so I, um...I hope meat pies are alright?" It was what she'd had enough of on hand that she could make quickly.

visualspice

Javen made a face when his wife returned, as if he might back hand her for the idea. But before he could even project his disappointment onto his wife, Chase had already chimed in, happily,
"Oh, man. I haven't had a good home made meat pie in ages." His mouth was even watering as he took in the smells. "Is it your own recipe?" he asked, earnest in his curiosity. "My mother used to make the best meat pie." Well.. when his mother had the meat. Even when she had to make due with beans and other things... and even when there was no meat at all! It was still a nostalgic meal to him.

Javen shut his jaw and tried to swallow down his anger.

"Oh it is, is it?" By now he had moved to take his drink and offered the other to Chase. His voice was gruff, so he cleared his throat. "Well," he gestured towards the table. "Let's eat then and get to business."

Chase was okay with that and turned to Nyla.
"Need any help?"

Javen stiffened. He was just about to take a seat and enjoy his dinner and drink...
And him asking to assist his wife was the last thing he'd expect from some rich boy.

DragonSong

Nyla had already been crouching by the hearth, but Javen's expression had her shifting from "crouching" to outright "cowering".

Though they'd been married for some six months and he had yet to raise a hand to her, there was always the lingering fear that he would. He hadn't been like this when he was courting her—or whatever his overtures could be called. But...she still felt she should have been more cautious.

I'm lucky to be here, it's safer than a single woman living in the city center, she reminded herself once again as Chase enthused over the idea of pies and Javen seemed to subside. She offered a cautious smile to their guest and got to her feet.

"It is my recipe, actually," she told him quietly, hands clasped in front of her body. She'd left her apron back in the kitchen, and despite the long sleeves and modest neckline of her dress, she somehow missed having the extra layer. "It was one of my best sellers when I ran the shop by myself, still is, actually, but, um..."

Her husband's irritation was a tangible thing she could feel in the air. Dropping her eyes, she tucked a stubborn escapee curl back behind her ear and shook her head. "No, no, that's alright, you two can, um, sit. Get comfortable. Our table isn't big, but there's certainly room for three. I'll just...check on dinner."

visualspice

But Chase was already by her side. Javen, though annoyed, simply let it be as he picked up his drink. He was late on his medicine.

"Your own recipe? Is it that famous? Wonder if I would have tried it before," he mused and leaned closer to the oven to take in the free smells. He was pretty close to her now that she might be able to almost smell the musk on him- something tangible that seemed to eminent from his mere presence. It was strangely intoxicating, but it seemed he just naturally exuded charm.

"So you're a  baker?" he went on. He already knew enough about her husband, so he ought to be polite to the wife to get to know his hostess a bit better- especially if she was going to be his (more or less) personal cook. "You got another shop face in town?"

DragonSong

"O-Oh! Um..." Nyla worried her lower lip as she leaned away from him a bit when he followed her into the kitchen. "It's not famous or anything, it was just one of my better sellers..." She knew her shop was well-known enough in certain circles, but those circles were mostly street urchins and the like. Hardly the kind of clientele that would have made her a name.

"I am," she answered quietly when he asked about her profession. Once the door between the main room and the kitchen was shut, she seemed to relax a bit. That damned curl fell in front of her face again and she brushed it back with a small, irritated huff. "And I do. Well...it's really my only shop, I just...since we married, it's not like--my flat was hardly big enough for two people. I'm lucky Javen lets me keep up with it as much as I can."

She opened the oven door a crack to check on the pies, nodded to herself, and closed it again. Looking back to Chase, she asked politely, "And, um...you? What is it you do? And, ah, if it's not too forward..." Her eyes darted to the door. Javen was probably well into his drink by now, he wouldn't be listening. "What exactly are you doing here? Not that I'm not happy to host guests, of course, I just...didn't realize we'd be having any."

visualspice

He leaned causally against the wall, smiling as she worked and listening to her speak and just observing her before casually replying, "Well, the plan was I'm to stay here."

DragonSong

...Double drat.

"Oh?" She cleared her throat, fidgeting with the ends of her sleeves in an effort to keep her eyes downturned. "For, um, for how long? Exactly?"

Gods. This could be a disaster. Javen was one thing, deeply unobservant and usually out of the house. This--this stranger would be another matter entirely. Why exactly were they even hosting him?!

visualspice

He saw the look of worry on her face and placed a calming hand on her shoulder.
"Don't worry. I don't plan to be an inconvenience for too long."

DragonSong

Nyla flinched under his touch, then blushed heavily. Silly chit, she chided herself internally.

"You're not an inconvenience," she hastened to assure him as she stepped around him toward the door to the kitchen again. "You're just...unexpected." She tried for a smile before gesturing vaguely toward the door.

"Really, you don't need to stay in here just to keep me company, I'm sure it's quite boring," she murmured with an only slightly forced chuckle.

visualspice

"Well, I just spent an hour with your husband. Just trying to  be polite and fair. Although if you want me to leave..."

DragonSong

"Oh, I didn't mean—I don't—"

Nyla bit her lip, fighting a blush that she didn't fully understand. "I don't, um...Javen can be...impatient," she murmured after a moment of gathering her thoughts. "I wouldn't want to leave him waiting by himself."

She paused, then lifted her head to add with a small smile, "It's not that I don't enjoy your company, ser."

visualspice

He simply smiled. Her reaction was amusing. It was evident she was flustered by his presence.

"How about I set the table? Take out utensils?" He suggested. He didn't need to earn his keep, he paid well for it...very well infact. But it still didnt mean he would disregard manners.

DragonSong

"That...would be a help, yes. Thank you." She offered him another smile before showing him where they kept plates and utensils, then gave a vague shooing motion toward the kitchen door. "Go on, then. I'll be out with the food soon."

visualspice

He nodded and gave that casual smile, one he seemed to always wear. He gathered the items and soon disappeared into the other room.

Javen cleared his throat.
"So you had humble beginnings?"

Chase nodded.

"You could say that. I'm by no means noble, just lucky I got famous."

Javen looked at him directly.
"Lucky... right. Shoulda kept your music away from the mages... People are as sore today over the war as ten years ago." He was nearly finished with his drink.  "Well, we don't want trouble and you can stay as long as you pay. "

Chase shrugged and took his own drink after having a seat. That was the contract, wasn't it? Hopefully living here wouldn't be too awkward for them.

"I'll try to keep myself as an inconvenience."

DragonSong

Ducking through the door for a moment to make sure the hearth was still going, Nyla froze.

Kept his music away from the mages?

Oh gods.

Just who exactly had Javen invited into their home?

She tried to force her breathing to remain even and scurried back into the kitchen, though now she was actually trying to overhear what the men were saying in the other room. Magic that she hadn't used in years tingled at her fingertips, and she quickly curled them into her palms.

Breathe, just breathe.

After a minute or two, the instinctive defensiveness of her power faded, and she felt comfortable enough gathering up the tray of meat pies and slipping back out into the main room.

"Here." She set the tray on the table with what she hoped was a casual, polite smile. "Not much, but it's hot."