Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Swords and Songs

Started by CounterfeitFish, September 05, 2021, 03:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CounterfeitFish

Draconi Forest. A lush, magical place filled with all sorts of wonders. Dangerous, yes, but most beautiful things are. For the bard, Arix, it did not matter how dangerous this forest was. Forests were his home, so he was able to avoid most of the things that came his way. Plus, it was worth the danger to be able to see all of the great things it had to offer.

The kobold had his lute in hand, and was playing a merry tune upon it. He had not come up with any words for the song yet, but inspiration would come in time, as it usually did. For now, the instrument alone would do.

He travelled through the forest at a moderate pace, here for the experience, not to reach a specific destination. Because of that, he would occasionally turn back or intentionally enter a thicker part, simply to see as much as he could. However, carefree as he was, he wasn't stupid. If he found something that posed a threat, like a bear, he knew to find a different path. He had very few defenses against anything larger than a wolf, and even that was still dangerous. Luckily he hadn't invoked the ire of any of the local wildlife. For now, at least.

The lad continued to walk, still playing his lute. As he strolled through the forest, he realized something. He hadn't seen anybody else in here! Dangerous or not, there should've been at least one other person, right? Maybe he just hasn't gone to the right place yet. So, he promptly turned around, heading in the opposite direction.

TravelingBird

There was another traveler who was in this forest. He was looking around at all of the trees where he was at. He had left town not to long ago and decided that he would take the time to explore the forest. Being that he had the love for the calm and peace of the woods this was just what he needed after being on a job for a few days.

As he stopped to rest he heard something. He heard music. Someone was playing music here in the forest. That kind of surprised him because he thought that he was alone. He noted that the sound was getting closer. So he went to investigate.

As he was walking out of the trees he stumbled and crashed over a bunch of brush and made quite a bit of noise. Well whoever it was would surely know he was here now. He just hoped that they were friendly or at least not a threat to him.

CounterfeitFish

Arix continued to play his song, occasionally repeating certain parts or even changing them when he felt like they could be better. While he walked, he started to think of a name for the tune. It was simple, but even simple songs deserve a name. He began to speak, thinking aloud.

"Hm...maybe 'Woodland Sonnet'? No, that wouldn't work...can't call it a sonnet if I don't even have the words yet...eh, maybe I'll think of something later. Wait, maybe-" The kobold's high-pitched voice was cut off by the sounds of someone or something crashing through the brush, heading towards him!

Arix slid his lute through a loop of leather on his back, then scrambled up a tree. It was during times like these that he was happy he had claws. Along with being one of his main ways of defending himself, the sharp points easily dug into the wood. He made it about ten feet before stopping, waiting to see what was approaching. "Hey, is somebody there?"

TravelingBird

The other who was trying to get out of the brush at the moment did not hear the talking. He was making to much noise at the time. As he got free he noted that the music had stopped. He wondered if he had scared them away. He knew that was a real possibility considering that there was dangerous things in these woods. Things he would rather not meet.

As he go to the clearer part of the woods he heard a voice talking. He paused as he glanced around unsure of where the voice had come from.

"Yes there is another here. My name is Woods. I mean no harm just walking through. "He said in a friendly voice. Woods was not sure of the others intentions yet but he tried not to judge them just yet.

CounterfeitFish

The lad narrowed his eyes, somewhat untrusting of the newcomer. However, Woods seemed alright, at least at a first glance. So, Arix let go of the tree, landing in front of Woods with a soft thud. The green-scaled kobold stuck out his hand, a cheery smile on his face.

"Hey there! I'm Arix! Sorry for hiding, there are just some things here that would rather have me for dinner than have a chat, so I didn't want to risk it! What's your name?" Arix spoke with a rather strange accent that made his words slightly difficult to understand, though not impossible.

TravelingBird

Woods stood quietly after making his statement. He then smiled as he saw who he was talking to. It was a small strange looking creature. Woods had not come across anything that looked like this creature. Though woods would never Jude anyone just for their looks. Heck to some he probably looked strange himself. He had been told that by one lady in his life so far.

As the other held out his hand woods moved his hand out of his robe and softly shook his hand. Woods wore gloves so he didn't have to worry about getting scratched or anything like that.

" it's nice to meet you sir Arix. Don't be sorry I don't blame you a bit. I would probably hide to if I heard something crashing though the woods like that." He said with a slight chuckle.

He then smiled again and said" my name is Woods. I am a traveling hired had. If I find someone who needs a job done I offer my help to them." He then looked at him and smiled. He was not sure if he had said to much or not

CounterfeitFish

Now that he was able to take a decent look at Woods, he began to examine him. He appeared to be some sort of humanoid bird, which Arix thought was a bit odd. However, his momentary confusion was quickly replaced with interest as he realized something: Woods was pretty cool! Arix hadn't seen anybody like him before, which made it even better! Though, to be fair, he hasn't met many people who weren't human or kobold, so most things were new to him.

Arix's claws, while they were sharp, weren't really able to poke or cut somebody with just a handshake. The glove probably helped, though. The kobold laughed as well, bringing his hand back to his side. He already liked this guy, and knew he would make a good friend.

"Nice to meet ya too, Woods! I s'pose we're both travelers, then! If you're a hired hand, you must have a lot of cool stories! I'm not a hired hand, I'm just a bard. Its still pretty fun, though! I get to play music wherever I go, so that makes me happy!"

TravelingBird

Woods was happy that this creature before him seemed kind. Woods had met many creatures and humans who were shady and not that friendly. He would never reveal one fact about himself unless he needed to. He was the kind who would kill another if he was hired to do so. The scar across his eye was evidence of that.

He was now listening as the other was talking to him. He liked this creature so far. As he moved his had woods did the same. Indeed woods did have quite a few stories to tell. Though he knew that some were better than others.

"Yes I suppose we are. I do have some stories to tell about a few jobs I have done. " He said with a smile. Then he added. " You play music ? I thought I heard someone playing music. That's why I went to see what was going on." He said with a smile now.

CounterfeitFish

Arix notices the scar across Woods' eye, but he seemed more impressed than anything. He would have asked about it, but he figured that Woods probably wouldn't want him prying into his personal business. So, he said nothing. About the scar, at least.

At Woods' confirmation that he had stories to tell, Arix's grin grew even larger. Especially so when he mentioned the kobold's music. "Yeah! I love playing music! You can do so much with just a few instruments, too! I haven't come up with a lot of songs yet, but I'm getting there. Plus I think the ones I already know are pretty nice, so yeah! It isn't done yet, but I hope you liked the song!"

Arix took a moment to show off his instruments, which consisted of a lute, accordion, and violin. However, he didn't take them out of the various loops and straps that were holding them to his clothes. Even though he trusted Woods(for the most part), he was pretty protective of his stuff. He always kept them in the best shape possible, making sure they never got scratched or broken. In fact, if Woods was paying close attention to them, he could see that all of the instruments looked like they were recently cleaned, polished, oiled, the whole shebang.

TravelingBird

Woods was finding that he liked the creature that had met. And he certainly seemed to have a lot of smiled and happiness just like woods did. This was a very good start to this meeting he thought. And he hoped that it would continue to be this way for a bit.

He noted the fact that he smiled at what he has said. Then he listened to him as he spoke about his music. His thoughts from before seemed to be correct. This  creature liked music quite a lot. Which he really could not say much. Music was very nice. It was just that woods had no idea what to do when it came to that sort of thing.

" Well you are right about that. I like listening to others play music. I find it relaxing myself. I don't play myself though. " Said then he nodded . "Indeed I did like your song very much" woods said still smiling himself.

Then the other showed him his instruments. Woods did not take offense to him keeping them on his clothes. After all it he figured that it would be a pain to to take them on and off.

" Those are all very nice. You must be busy with all the playing you probably do." He said with a smile still.

Woods himself had only his weapon on him but it was hidden by his robe. Though he could reveal it if he had to use it or was showing it to someone. Otherwise he kept it out of sight for various reasons but mostly so he didn't appear to be a threat.

CounterfeitFish

Arix's smile grew further, if that was even possible. He really liked this new friend, and couldn't wait to hear more about him. He thought Woods was really cool. "Hey, not everybody can play music, and that's alright! Do what makes you happy, right? Hey, maybe I'll play another song later, one that I've already finished."

Arix nodded in response to Woods' last statement. "Yeah, it can be a bit busy, especially when the taverns get crowded. I don't mind, though! The more people that get to experience music, the better."

Unlike Woods, Arix had no weapons. He didn't really need them, because usually he could just run away from whatever's chasing him. However, if he had to fight, he had his claws and fiery breath.

"So, what brings you to the forest? Were you just exploring, or was there something else?"

TravelingBird

Woods noted that this creature seemed to be just as happy as he was . This made him happy to relax some. However not completely. He knew never to let his guard down completely. He had made that mistake once and swore never to do so again.

He then smiled at what the creature said next. " To hats absolutely true.  I am glad to hear your music anytime." He said. The woodpecker anthro just enjoyed the company of this creature and would be more than happy to allow him to accompany him though the forest.

" I bet so .  My jobs don't really involve a lot of people. Usually just a family or two . " He said with a smile still. He was not the kind who liked to be around large crowds of people. He liked the more quiet side of life.

He then heard what was asked next. He paused a bit thinking about his answer. He was not sure how to explain why he was here. Then his smile came back and he said " Well I am taking a break from my jobs for a bit. The last one was a bit hard so I thought that I would take the scenic route through the woods." He said with a smile. That was the best way to explain his reason for being in the forest.

Woods took a glance at the sun. There was still plenty of daylight left so he was not worried about making a camp just yet but it would have to happen in the future.

CounterfeitFish

Arix saw Woods relax a little bit, which made him pretty happy. He enjoyed when the people around him were relaxed, because that meant he had himself a new friend. Woods was the newest one.

"Really? I s'pose that's fine." By now, Arix was able to guess at exactly what Woods did for a living. However, he didn't really mind. The kobold had killed a couple of people in his life, so he was used to it. No point in getting between someone and their livelihood.

"Fair enough. The woods have always been a relaxing place, especially when I've had a long day. The scenic path is usually a nice one, don't ya think?" Having been born in a forest also helps, though. Not this one in particular, but Arix has spent enough time in the wooded regions that usually he can find his way through them without too much trouble. Usually.

"Hey, do you wanna see something neat?" The kobold looked up at Woods, a mischievous glint in his eye. He had something planned, but it wasn't obvious yet. However, the fact that he had a plan was clear.

TravelingBird

Woods was also happy that he had made a friend as well. It was a bit odd to him that that had become friends so fast. It usally took woods a bit to make friends with others. There was just something special about this creature he guessed.

Woods did not always have to do bad jobs. Though most just assumed he did by the way he spoke. Though he could not really help that. He just was that kind of person.

He then heard what was said next . Indeed he had always enjoyed the woods for the quiet and beauty that could be found within them. Though he had had one encouter with someone who wanted to cause trouble when he was younger. Now though he was better at staying out of trouble in the woods.

" Yes I find it very relaxing and enjoyable. Finding good company in them is a bonus in my book." He said with a smile. He did like this one's company.

Woods heard what the creature said next. He could tell that he had something planned that he might not expect. He liked surprise every now and then done was willing to go along with whatever the other was planning. " Sure why not?" He said still smiling at the other. He was ready to know what was on the other mind.

CounterfeitFish

Arix didn't know why he liked this guy so much, but he did. He did not mind, though, just happy that they were getting along so well. Maybe...maybe it was the fact that Woods was just nice to him. Usually people didn't like the kobold for various reasons, and some even tried to chase him away or harm him. The fact that Woods had done none of those things made the lad happy.

"Exactly! I don't make a lot of friends, but I'm happy you're one of 'em, Woods!" Just now, Arix seemed to realize something. He was in the woods, and he met a new friend named Woods! What a coincidence! He chuckled, though he didn't say anything as to why.

After hearing what the woodpecker anthro said, the gleam in his eyes appeared once more. He ran through the forest for a few meters in each direction, seemingly searching for something on the ground. After looking through the brush for a minute or two, Arix raised a medium-sized stick into the air. "Aha!" The stick was about two feet long, but relatively thin.

Arix walked back over to Woods, showing off the stick. "Alright, look at this!" He took a deep breath, and the faint scent of smoke seemed to fill the space near the pair. He exhaled, and a foot-long jet of fire came out of his mouth, igniting the branch in his hand. He kept the flames going for another second or two, then closed his mouth. The stick was now on fire, and the kobold seemed very proud of himself.

"Pretty cool, right? I never need to worry about the darkness, or even the cold!"

TravelingBird

Woods was now relaxed around his new friend. He knew that this one was not going to harm him or get him in to trouble . He was very happy to have made a new friend and that was all that mattered to him right now. He was hardly ever completely at ease so this creature had already accomplished a feat in woods mind.

" I'm glad that you are my friend as well. I don't make many friends either if you want to know the truth. " He said now. He heard the other laugh to himself. However woods was not going to ask why. He just assumed he was happy or something like that.

Woods watched as his new friend seemed to be looking for something. Woods was wondering just what he had on his mind. He could see that this one was very fast. Faster then he was. That was a good thing to note in his mind. Once the other came out with a stick woods just watched. He was not sure what the other planned to do with the stick.

Woods heard the other tell him to look at the stick. " Okay " he said looking at the stick. He then frowned as he smelled smoke in the air. Now he had a super good sense of smell due to his enhanced senses. Then he saw the other breath out fire from his mouth. Now that really was impressive.

"That certainly is .  Bet so. That would come in handy while traveling." He said with a smile. Then he paused listening for a moment. He heard the faint sound of footsteps. Something or someone was head their way.

He looked at the other and said. " I don't think that we are alone anymore." His voice was quite and soft as he woke. He was not sure who or what was hear with them now.

CounterfeitFish

Arix let the stick burn for a minute or two, even spinning it a few times just for fun. However, he didn't want to burn down the forest, so he eventually had to put it out. Running his hand along the burning end, the flame vanished wherever it touched him. Normally it wouldn't be this easy to put out his fires, but since it was just a twig it wasn't that difficult.

Tossing the now-extinguished stick to the side, Arix turned back to his new friend. "Well then, I am happy I can be one of them!" Arix did not have enhanced senses like Woods, except for the smallest boost to his sense of smell. So, the woodpecker anthro was better than him in that category. "Anyways, what do-" Before he could finish his sentence, Arix was interrupted by Woods. He immediately began to look around, searching for anybody that may be nearby.

He couldn't see anybody from where he was at the moment, and Woods' tone made the kobold a bit nervous. So, he scrambled up the tree once more, hoping that it wasn't anything too bad. He was weak, and knew he wouldn't be able to help in a fight. Unless he was cornered or saw a good opportunity, he would be mostly useless if something attacked the pair.

TravelingBird

Woods was now very quiet as he was listening to the sound. He saw his friend run up the tree. Now woods was not wanting to have to fight anyone or anything today. In fact he really didn't want to do that at any time. He frowned and cocked his head as the noise grew ever closer to them. Then he backed up into the brush wondering if whatever or whoever it was would reveal itself to then.

" I was told that he was supposed to have gone this way."  Stated a woman's voice. She seemed to have a slight accent to her voice.  Woods had to wonder who she was talking about but remained quite as he heard anouther voice speaking to the woman.

" Well I hope he is worth all this searching because if he isn't then I will have your head on a stick." Stated the male voice. Woods now quietly peeked out from the brush so that he could see them without them seeing him.

What he saw made him frown. It was two humans who looked like fighters. What was worse for woods was the fact that he had seen the pair in town when he was there. They were said to be no good. He glaced up wondering if the other was okay or not at this time. He didn't want to fight unless he had to do so.

CounterfeitFish

At this point, Arix was able to hear the two newcomers, and he didn't like them at all. They seemed rather unfriendly, and were carrying weapons. Of course, he couldn't fault someone for arming themselves, but the new pair seemed pretty suspicious.

Arix nodded to Woods as he looked up, letting the woodpecker anthro know that he was alright. The kobold looked a bit nervous, but not too worried.  With a suprising amount of speed and agility, he maneuvered his way through the trees until he was behind the two fighters, but he didn't do anything after that. Arix didn't want to risk attacking them, not unless they attacked first.

He had no clue who the pair were looking for, but he made a few guesses. Hopefully it wasn't Woods, though. Arix looked over at his new friend, and the faint scent of smoke appeared once more. Even though he would rather not attack first, he still wanted to ask Woods. The kobold tilted his head slightly, the faint smoky smell still filling the area. The question was clear: Should he try and attack the humans?
---------
OOC STUFF:
9/24-Just realized I contradicted some of my earlier stuff. Basically, Arix is thinking "I don't really want to fight, but if Woods says I should, then I will." He figures that Woods probably has more combat experience than him, so that is why he asked. Hope this helps if it was a tad confusing.

TravelingBird

Woods was watching the other two as they looked about the area. They seemed pretty determined to find who they were looking for. By now woods was sure he knew who they were hunting for. He figured they were hunting for him due to the fact that they had watched him the whole time he was in town. However the woodpecker anthro had his ways of being able to fight more then one for.

As he was watching his friend one of the humans Was getting closer to his hiding place. Woods had to stay still in order not to get found. He looked up to were his friend had moved to. As he saw what his friend was asking he looked at the woman who was close to him . The statement was clear . Not yet.

As the woman was almost to him woods looked back to his friend. Then he looked at the male who was closer to his friend. He ndded in that direction as if to say. Attack him I get her. Then with a surprising amount of speed he jumped out of his hiding place to try to surprise attack the woman.

--------------
OCC: Ahh okay tha makes since now. Thanks for the clarification