Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pageturner [platonicluv]

Started by Whim, October 21, 2021, 08:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

@platonicluv

QuoteLady Ashpire,
You wrote to me asking for two books. The first was The Many-Starred Veil Vol. I by Flemulus Grix, on how to find places thin between the physical and spiritual worlds. The second was Internal Alchemy by Ewan ap Rhys, on how to change your humors through diet.

I cannot deliver them to Darken Vei. If you want to see the books before buying you will need to come yourself or send someone. My shop is by Northgate. There is an eatery there, Sakaya's Slophouse, where you can find clean beds. Stay there and I will send word.

-Niamh

Niamh sat at her desk pouring over a ledger. She had more than enough coin squirreled away, though business had begun to slow in recent months. "Someone putting the squeeze on necromancers again, you think?" she mumbled to Jeb, a porcelain frog clad in an ascot and fishing rod. The shop had many cheap trinkets just like it, all a ruse to disguise the true nature of her business. As much as she hated to admit it Niamh had grown accustomed to them. To the frogs at least.

It had been a month since Niamh sent the letter to Lady Ashpire. She did not expect much to come of it. It actually did not sit well at all. A young girl, with no academic background, sniffing after random and unrelated magical books? Her usual sort of customer would kill, quite literally, for the chance to find and steal her merchandise. But Niamh couldn't pass this chance up. The girl was offering a small fortune for both books.

"Hey, kiddo!" she called out into the maze of shelves. Silence. Probably deliberately. She rose from her desk in a huff. Eventually she found her quarry, a small boy perched on the window-sill and juggling a ball. "Ewan!"

"Oh. Hi there!" he was transfixed by his attempts to toss the leather ball higher and catch it. There had not been actual magic to do in weeks, and the other chores to earn his keep were mostly done.

"Maybe don't bounce that indoors." She was met smirk of amusement.

"I need you to go to Sakaya's and see if that girl, Raisa, is here. Bring her back here if she checks out."

--

Sakaya's Slophouse sat amidst the maze-like shantytown that climbed Zantaric's western walls. The upper floors served as a cramped boarding house, while the bottom floor was an eatery. It was dark inside but for the glow of a firepit at the center, tended by an enormous woman with the face and tusks of a pig. The air was hot and heavy with the aroma of grease and garlic. Various grotty sorts sat hunched around tables finishing off their midday meals.  There were fisherman in reeking overalls, tribeless Adelans on break from farm labor, and whatever else passed for honest folk in Zantaric. A small Serenian boy with a shaved head, clad in sandals and a loin cloth, darted into the inn and ducked around a server, nearly tripping her in the process. It was hardly like adults stood aside for him! He pattered up to the bar.

"Hi! Uh-" he stared up at the boar-woman as she ladled gobs of heavy soup into a bowl, meeting his gaze with dark glowering eyes. "-So I've asked over and over and over and over, but, has a girl called Raisa Ashpire come to stay?"
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

platonicluv

Raisa was grumpy. Even if the establishment she was sitting in was not overflowing with a multitude of sickening stenches, repulsive vagrants, and subpar food, the idea of being anywhere called a slophouse made the girl physically ill. The young noble had only ever heard distasteful accounts of Zantaric, and the village certainly lived up to its dismal reputation. She did not plan to stay the night, and had some choice words saved up for the trader that had forced her to come out all this way just to retrieve a few books.

The pink haired female looked grubbier than she would usually tolerate, her appearance lacking its usual shine and splendor. Ignoring much of the ongoings and rabble of peasants around her, she listlessly traced the cup of water set on the scratched wooden bar she sat at. She had sent a missive to Niamh as soon as she entered Zantaric, but it had already been a few hours and Raisa's patience was growing thin.

A sudden poke on her shoulder caused the girl to violently start, and she gaped at the bartender who had so rudely jolted her. Before Raisa could open her mouth, the boar-woman seemingly turned to someone next to her and gave a curt nod, moving towards the other end of the bar after.

Puzzled, Raisa turned her head, seeing no one, until she looked down. A small shirtless boy stood there, and Raisa just blinked, surprised she could still be taken aback by strange interactions. Recovering from the initial cringe she felt at seeing the child, she raised an eyebrow towards him, "I don't have any change to give," she told him in a clipped tone, sure he was just another beggar roaming the city to leech off unsuspecting visitors.

Whim

The girl did not seem at all like a scholar of illustrious magic; probably just playing pretend at sorcery. Who was she to get officious? Incensed, Ewan crossed his arms and a cock-eyed gaze rose to meet Raisa's. "I am not begging. Niamh sent me to come fetch you. You want to see her about the book, yeah?"

He beckoned her to the door. Already Raisa was beginning to draw too much attention; her pink hair and posh diction were markedly out of place among the roughnecks of Zantaric. A tiny smirk crossed the boy's face. There was something about her attitude he did not all care for, so he was going to have a bit of fun. "I know a pretty good shortcut to Niamh's. No room for a horse or carriage or anything, though, so i hope you brought good boots. Going to ruin those shoes."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic