Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Fox's Story (Sophophobia!)

Started by Anonymous, July 13, 2008, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Ah, so there were others like Drea elsewhere in the world! Sora wished that would be true for herself, that there were others that had kitsune spirits trapped within other people's bodies. She could make friends with them easier than making friends with humans.

If it wouldn't trouble you, Sora, could you ask her a question? Tokala said in Sora's mind. I sensed her aura, and it was much older than I could ever hope to be. Inquire her of her true age, as mine is perhaps a mere grain of sand compared to hers.

Sora nodded. "Tokala wants to know something," she said. "He sensed your aura and said that it was very ancient. He also said that his age 'is a mere grain of sand' compared to your age. He is curious as to how old you really are. I'm curious too, because whatever I hear, he hears as well."

Anonymous

"It has been three hundred years since I was last reforged," Drea said, closing her eyes, trying to remember, "I am not sure quite what happened to damage me. Memories sometimes disappear during reforging. I have been on this earth in one body or another since--well, since shortly after the Goddess came. I am unsure as to the exact number of years; they have all blurred together or been lost in a reforging. At least four billion years, but I think that it was more." Most of those years had been empty. Filled with sleep and missions, but as little interaction as possible. Others so quickly faded. Dead, buried, and decomposed before she'd even come close to being reforged. It hurt. She hated seeing things be born, grow, wilt, and die in front of her.

She had never had house plants.

Anonymous

If Sora's jaw could unhinge itself, it would have dropped to the floor. "Four...four billion years?" she said in utter astonishment, mouth agape.

Whew...I'm impressed, Tokala said in Sora's mind, also very shocked. The oldest kitsune he could remember had only lived to be at least two million years old, and that was nothing compared to this Acolyte.

"And...and by 'reforged', do you mean 'reincarnated'?" she asked, still shaking from the shock of learning how old Drea truly was.

Anonymous

"It was a pretty boring four billion years," she said, smiling a little at her. People were so easy to astonish! It was honestly a little amusing. "But no, it's nothing like reincarnation, really. See--this body doesn't age.  The cells do not grow, or change, or die, unless acted upon by an outside force. I will heal if I am cut, bruised, or otherwise injured, but conceivably I could stay as I am forever.

"Unfortunately, the missions that the Goddess sends me on are not always safe, and sometimes my injuries are such that they kill me. This body is strong, but some things cannot be avoided. But a body is just a body; the Goddess forged my origional body from the fire of the stars and she has done it every other time that I have died. My soul, as you might call it, my mind and my memories are transported, but sometimes the last few years before death do not make it, because they are not cemented into my mind."

it was at this point that Drea noticed Sora's shaking, "Are you alright?"

Anonymous

Sora realized that she was shaking and did her best to ease herself from doing so. "Sorry...I just found it shocking that one could live so long. That is very fascinating, though."

Which made her wonder...now that Tokala's spirit was infused with hers, would his life span be passed to her? How long would she live for?

I believe I can answer that, Tokala said in her mind. Conceivably, a kitsune could live forever, even if a human laid a fatal wound upon him. The oldest lived to be two million years old. Remember that a kitsune can only die if all nine tails are cut off or by the hands of another kitsune, whether out of malice or out of mercy. So...my immortality is now yours.

Sora felt a lump in her throat. She'd...live forever?

"I...just asked Tokala how long I would live," she said, once again shaking. "He said I would live forever. I had no idea..."

Anonymous

Oh. The poor child. Living forever was both a great and terrible thing. She put a comforting hand on Sora's shoulder, Wincing internally at having to comfort her. One would think she would be better at this, after how long she had lived. "Sora, living forever is tiring, but well worth it. You get to see the world change, and people grow. War, famine, disease--all may pass by as you watch, and you must remember them so that you might help, when they again occur."

Drea did not mention how tired it made you. How much you hated it after a while, hated people because they lived, grew, and then got to die. Drea hoped that this would not happen to Sora, because she was a sweet fox girl.

Anonymous

Sora almost flinched when she felt Drea's hand on her shoulder, but instead, she placed her own hand on top of Drea's and gently squeezed it, taking comfort in her presence as tears began to roll down Sora's eyes.

Sora, Tokala's gentle voice rang in her mind. Forgive me if I had upset you, but there is truth in Drea's words. Living forever can be a good thing. It is a sad thing as well, befriending mortal friends, watching them grow and die while you live on. I have experienced it myself so many times, and I've kept their memories close and dear to my heart. I never wanted for this to happen to you, Sora. Immortality is both a blessing and a curse. But remember...even if you became immortal...even if your shape has changed...you're you. Nothing else has changed, and nothing can ever change that fact. I want you to live this life to the very fullest, Sora. At least do that for me.

Sora could only nod as the tears continued to fall. "You're right...I guess," she said, partly to Drea and partly to Tokala. "I-I want to live life to its fullest, even though I have forever to do it. I just...don't want to be living it alone." Even though I have you, she thought the last part to Tokala.

Anonymous

Oh, Goddess, why do you test me so?

The truth of the task Drea had been set to now came to her. Not just to help Sora and then send her on her way, but to be her friend. She hadn't had a friend in thousands of years. Millions. But she supposed that if it was what the Goddess thought was best, then she had to go through with it. As she looked Sora over once more, and decided this, it immediately occurred to her that she would have to take care of Sora. Drea could come back to life, but she didn't think that kitsune could. if she was going to have a friend, she wasn't going to let that friend die.

"I will be your friend."

Anonymous

For a long moment, Sora stared at Drea, large, golden eyes watery and wide, portraying true innocence. She...wanted to be her friend? Forever?

After registering what Drea had just said, Sora then proceeded to hug her gently. For the first time in her time of trouble, her soul had found happiness. "Thank you," she whispered near Drea's ear, tears still flowing. Only they weren't tears of sorrow; they were tears of joy.

Inside Sora's mind, Tokala himself was close to tears. Sora was finally at ease, and that made him happy. Thank you, he uttered in thought.

Anonymous

She pulled Sora into her arms, to comfort her. She had thought that it would be more awkward, but it felt right. She ran a comforting hand through Sora's hair, sighing a little. This was what made four billion years worth it. People like Sora who needed help so bad there was no other option.

"There is, however, one thing that I require from you, if you are to be my friend," Drea said, still running that comforting hand through her hair. That slightly ominous tone was back, again just because that was how Drea spoke. it often annoyed Tove, who would mock her openly as often as possible.

Anonymous

Inwardly, Sora felt another pit form in her stomach. So there was a catch to this friendship? Well, it couldn't be too bad. After all, she didn't want to be alone, so she was desperate to do anything to maintain that friendship. "Name what you want, and I'll do it," she said. She almost said "try," but there was no try. It was either do or don't.

Anonymous

"You must not die."

Honestly, Drea didn't understand why she sounded so apprehensive. It's not like she was going to ask Sora to go on a great journey across the desert and retrieve an artifact that was actually really useless to prove their friendship. That would be stupid. Even Drea knew that friendship didn't work that way.

Anonymous

Sora was overcome with gratitude. So this oath would be the assurance that she wouldn't attempt to kill herself. Losing herself would be losing her friends. She would look to them for guidance in her eternal life.

"I will not die," she said firmly, still embracing Drea. "I will live for eternity."

Easier said than done, Tokala thought. He had known many kitsune who had died, either killed by evil kitsune, captured by hunters and had all their tails cut off, or, in the case of the two-million-year-old, killed themselves out of sorrow and madness. But, knowing Sora, she would do whatever she could to keep living forever. Sora, I'd like for you to make the same promise to me. I don't want you to die. If you do...I will die as well.

I will not die, Tokala, Sora thought back. "Tokala just wanted me to make that same promise. And I will."

Anonymous

Drea hugged her just a bit closer, telling her, "There is not more of you that I could ask. I have seen too many people that I like live and die. I do not wish to see my only friend die when she does not have to." She would have to make sure that Sora did not come to harm from outside forces. Later, she would make sure that Sora knew to value her life above Drea's, because Drea could come back from death, but Sora could not. For now, Drea continued running a hand through Sora's hair, smiling a serene smile not seem on her face in eons. Drea was lonely, too.

Just because she was used to being alone didn't mean that she liked it, it was just for a long time being lonely had been the better of two evils. Loneliness or the pain of loosing people you love and having to go on. But she was tired of keeping her distance.

Anonymous

Sora nodded as her tears came to a stop, feeling Drea's comforting hand stroking her long, crimson hair. Her soul was finally at peace. She now had an eternal friend who accepted her despite her appearance. And she would be the best friend that she could be right back to Drea.

She gently released their embrace and put her furry hands on Drea's shoulders, her golden eyes wet and filled with happiness. "And I will keep your promise to heart. I'll be your best friend as well."

Inside her mind, Tokala was weeping with joy. So this is what true friendship is like.

Anonymous

Drea smiled, "The Goddess was right to send you to me." She was enjoying the social interaction, for once. Because if she could protect Sora, time would not take her away. At least, not for a long time. But she would have to be certain to protect Sora. Loosing her to the hands or blades of men did not sit well with Drea; she would not allow it to happen.

Anonymous

Sora looked up through the treetops and then back at Drea, nodding. "I guess that She Who Came With The Stars works in strange, mysterious, and wonderful ways," she said. She had always known that gods and goddesses existed; she was just so busy working on the farm that she couldn't find the time to put her faith in one of them.

Since Tokala was something of a demigod himself, it was natural that he didn't follow any god or goddesses in particular, not that he didn't respect any of them.

Anonymous

"Sometimes," Drea agreed, "Usually not on purpose. At least, not with Acolytes. Our orders are usually very clear." Drea had eyes only for her Goddess. Of course. She was aware of other gods, but paid them no more mind than that. She didn't need to find favor with them. Nor meaning or hope. She had her own Goddess.

Anonymous

Sora looked to the skies again. Perhaps someday, she would find her own faith somewhere, now that she was able to wander the world freely.

A headache then started to pulsate in Sora's forehead. It was then that she remembered that she had been knocked unconscious only a while ago. She put a hand to her forehead and felt the pain. It wasn't serious, but it still hurt her. "Oh...my head hurts," she said. "I forgot that I was knocked unconscious not long ago."

It's only a headache, Sora, Tokala said in her mind. It's to be expected. Like I said, a day's worth of rest and you'll feel better.

I guess, Sora thought back.

Anonymous

((Sorry for taking so long; Drea ran away.))

"You should sleep," Drea said, extracting herself from the hug, "I should as well, as I was before you came. I would suggest that you sleep on the outside of the clearing. It will provide the most cover from rain and sun, because of the trees. I will sleep above you."