Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Temporary Home (open)

Started by Storm, August 20, 2016, 07:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalak8538

"No clue. I've never actually seen the sword in action..."

Flit was completely unaware that they had begun moving again. He continued as he had been.

"To be honest, I've never actually seen the sword!"

Wind was an interesting element. As flying creatures, Nimbats were more in tune with that element than any other. He went on, telling his own personal knowledge of wind.

"Wind is a little more tricky. It's more... passive... than the other elements. When using wind, you need to be aware of the world around you. It's moving you forward, and you're hanging on for the ride!"

Flit thought carefully on his next words, but came up a little short.

"What that means for a sword? I'm... not really sure..."

Storm

"sounds like cutting something without using the blade" Whitebone spoke up in thought "or a defensive type, knock them down maybe" he continued hopping over some rubble with a grunt and looked around making his way over to a set of cravings he grabbed his sketch book and started to copy the patch of turns and symbols

Bunbun

"Wait, you've never personally seen the sword? Huh..."

That particular piece of information seemed a bit strange. Did it mean that Flit was unconscious while the sword was being enchanted? Or perhaps, his spirit wasn't infused directly with the sword? Either way, it would be important to keep in mind in order to discover the truth of what happened.

"Well, if none of us know exactly how wind magic would interact with the sword, then I guess there's only one way to find out."

Trying to follow Flit's advice, Juliana took her time and went with a different approach than she had when producing flames. Like before, she closed her eyes, but she wasn't really trying to focus. Instead, she simply... listened. There obviously wasn't much to listen for, but she made sure to pick up on everything that she could. Eventually, she reopened her eyes and gripped the sword, using both of her hands to do so. She took a running start to her attack this time, picking up speed before thrusting the sword forwards. She wasn't really trying to force the magic to work this time- it was more like she expected it to work.

Kalak8538

The gem began shining bright, just as it had with the fire.

As the weapon was readied, a magic wind began blowing from the blade. It started as a gentle breeze, but quickly intensified into near gale-force proportions. The sword zipped forward, effortlessly thrusting and cutting trough the air at high speed.

"Oh! G-good. You... Y-you got it."

It would keep going like this until either it was willed to stop, or it left its wielder's hands.

Bunbun

Spurred on by the rushing wind, Juliana kept running along with the sword. However, as the sword picked up more and more speed, it eventually started to pull her along. Quickly realizing that the wind wouldn't be stopping any time soon if she continued, she firmly planted her feet to the ground until both human and sword came to a halt. Doing so sent a cloud of dust flying into the air, sending Juliana into a coughing fit.

"...Woah, that was a lot more powerful than I expected. I need to be more careful..."

Utilizing the element of wind had some differences, but also shared some similarities with activating the fire magic. Both times, the gem had shone brilliantly, like it had done whenever the voice emanating from the sword showed intense emotion. There was also another similarity, something that Juliana hadn't picked up on until now...

"Hey, are you feeling okay? You don't, uh, sound very well."

Storm

Whitebone looked over and sighed softly. Nodding to himself he decided to try his own way at freeing the Nimbat.

Jumping down lightly to where he was the previous day he took a look around in the broader daylight. The racks of molded and rusted weapons hung on the cracking walls and the dead man he found the day before sat still and cold on the hard floor. He frowned a bit. The layers of ice that he had formed on the walls on the day before were still there in tact, not bothered by the heat of the day. Walking forward he began to inspect the walls themselves, starting to get that strange feeling back in his gut that took his normal good and overabundance of joy away.

Kalak8538

"Me...?" Flit responded, sounding taken off guard.

"Oh... don't worry, I'm fine! It's just... That last one was a little more intense. That's all."

The gem dimmed down to the point that its glow could hardly be seen in the daylight. As it said this, the voice was a little more calm, but no less content than it usually was.

Bunbun

To be fair, the wind magic had been significantly more powerful than the fire had been. The reason for this was unknown; maybe Juliana was just more used to the sword, or she just had a greater affinity for wind in general. Whatever the cause, though, at least the magic worked. That meant that they could move on to another element whenever they were ready.

"...Alright, if you say so. If you're okay, I guess that means we can move on to the next one. How about we try earth next?"

Kalak8538

"Yeah, I don't exactly have a physical form that can be... not... okay..." he reassured the human, whilst struggling to find any better words to finish that sentence.

In truth, it had been a while since the blade needed this much magic. Even though he could remember the last time as clearly as if it were the day before, thousands of years of being dormant were evident. There was a bit more strain on the sword's power source. In this case, Flit.

Still, he did not want the humans to worry for him. They had been so kind thus far. The least he could do was show them how to use the weapon properly, so they could use it if anything were to go wrong.

"Alrighty! Umm... Earth..."

Earth was perhaps Flit's least favorite element. It was course, it was dirty, and somewhat difficult for him to call upon. He struggled somewhat to think of a good lesson for this element.

"Earth is... Umm... Ah! Earth is very... sturdy! Very stubborn. You, uh, need to tap into the ground underneath you. That's it! Tell it who's boss!"

Flit was pretty much making this up as he went along. He wasn't wrong about it, he just never really had too much practice with it. As a being of the sky with very little physical strength or mental resolve, he was a poor candidate for such magic. Still, maybe this human could tap into it.

Storm

Whitebone ran his fingers over the wall he was standing by with a furrowed brow. He had spotted a very fine crack in the stone that was clearly not made my nature. With resolve closed his eyes and pushed his hand against the fine line and let loose his own magic. Feeling the exuberant rush of cold beneath his fingers and hearing the crack of stone he opened them.

Seeing a larger crack that looked like enough to slip through he did. He then cursed his own stupidity and fire mages. It was hot. Much hotter than he felt decent in. But he did bless them for fire had a light to it. Looking around he sticked to the sides of a large room as he coated himself in an icy blanket to cool off a bit. With a smile he shook his head. He could tell he found the heart of this temple. And it was clear that it was a fire mages home.

Bunbun

"So, earth is all about willpower, huh... well, that shouldn't be a problem."

Juliana was no stranger to stubbornness. By this point, she was completely committed to understanding how the sword functioned. She'd been able to use two elements so far, and wasn't intending to give up until she'd gotten all of them to work at least once. Besides, earth seemed like it would be simple enough to work with.

That being said, how the element of earth would work with the sword was a different matter. Usually, such magic involved manipulating the earth itself, so how exactly it could augment the sword's attack was unknown. Regardless, Juliana started to prepare. It seemed to her that the swing itself would have to be powerful in order to activate earth magic, so her approach was centred around sheer force. Once again using both hands, she brought the sword overhead before sending it plummeting towards the ground. She put plenty of her own weight into the swing, caring more about getting the magic to work than what it would actually do.

Kalak8538

"Yeah! That's it... Willpower!"

The gem began to glow once again, shining brightly over the woman's head. Something began growing from the metal now, the element of earth. In only a moment, the entire blade became enveloped in a thick shell of solid rock. This greatly increased the overall weight of the sword, pulling it down to earth with much more force than may have been intended.

The weapon impacted on the ground, the sheer force causing it to shake somewhat. Some rumbling could be heard as well as the sound of the strike reverberated off the stone ruins. Sizable cracks were left in the ground under the blade, but no damage could be seen on the weapon or the earthen shell that surrounded it. As with the other magics, the earth stayed on the sword until it was dispelled or dropped.

This magic was indeed felt by Flit, but there was no congratulatory words this time. The voice remained silent.

Storm

Holding onto the wall whitebone attempted to stay still as everything shook around him " gosh. Quit it up there will ya?" He grumbled to himself as he looked for something to help. Spotting a few items that looked important, he quickly grabbed them and ran from the room glad for the colder air. Setting them on the ground he looked at them and an idea struck him. What if you needed each element to release the sword.

Bunbun

Noticing the changes that had taken place across the sword, Juliana tried to lift the sword from the ground with not much success. It already had some weight to it before, and the significant increase due to the magic made the task of lifting it difficult for someone like her. She eventually managed to move it upwards, but carrying it around or swinging it in this state just seemed like a good way to get injured. Instead, she waited for the stone casing to crumble before moving on.

"Okay... that's three elements down. That leaves water, but ice would probably be its more useful form in this situation... Uh, somehow I don't think that one's going to come naturally to me. I'm going to need something extra."

Making her way over to where she'd last seen Whitebone, she called down to him.

"Hey, what are you up to down there?"

Storm

"handling hot objects!" He called back up putting them wrapped up into his pack and made his way up " what's up? Did you need something?" He asked looking around for anything that happened, finding not much has changed he turned back towards her

Bunbun

"I've been trying to get the sword to work with different elements, as you've probably noticed. It's been going pretty smoothly so far, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get ice to work quite so easily. I figured you might have a few ideas, being an ice mage and all."

Juliana figured that Whitebone might just try and talk her into duelling again, but there weren't many other options. In order to learn about something, it made sense to consult with someone who had a lot of experience in the matter. Besides, if it started to go south, she could always go back to learning the way she had previously.

Storm

Whitebone frowned and looked at her. "Well... It's hard to master. It's cold. It's curle and you cant be afraid" he started off thinking how he learned to begin at first. He wasn't a master but he did know a lot he supposed. Looking at the sword he sighed

Kalak8538

The auburn gem began blinking again.

"I... I th-think you are... better off learning water first..." Flit finally input quietly, sounding rather drained as he spoke.

Bunbun

As she expected, it wasn't going to be easy for Juliana to harness the power of ice. Learning to use water first could go some way towards using ice, but there didn't seem to be much it could do beyond that.

"I guess we can try water first, but to be honest, I highly doubt that water itself will have any useful interactions with the sword... anyways, how should I start?"

Kalak8538

"Water... is good against fire, I guess." the voice responded, after regaining most of its former vigor.

"Water is a lot like air... One of the passive magics... Hmm..."

This was more challenging than he thought. Flit's spells had always been cast as some sort of projectiles. Although most elements transferred over quite easily, it was hard for him to imaging swinging water. After a bit of contemplation, Flit continued.

"Instead of letting it lead you, try leading it. For a sword, try being more... fluid? Look for the easiest path, then guide it along."