Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Whisper of wings

Started by Jelenis Tythe, October 10, 2015, 04:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin followed the man to where the horse was housed, it was in deed a fine looking beast, He laid a hand gently on its shoulder and spoke softly to it.  The horse made soft whickering noises and tossed its head up and down.

Alorin patted him firmly and turned back to the elf.

"Your horse is in agreement...travelling separately may cover more ground, but you will not be able to face a demon on your own should you happen upon them."

His wings arced out of his cloak once more and he extended one fully, it was huge and raven black, he looked at it carefully and the plucked a large feather from where it would cause him no trouble.

"I can make your horse fly....for a while at least...but you may want to step out side, you might find the process distressing."

Parkway

He watched silently as the angelic communicated with his horse on a level he could not possibly hope to understand.  That is not to say he did wish to know how.
He didn't know how to reply to this man.  The things he said and the way he said them where not something he was use to at all.  It wasn't disrespectful it was just so different.  He wondered if others thought this is what an angelic was like.  He would have to ask because he never gave it a thought at all, now he wanted to know more.

He watched as the angelic's wings came out again and the feather he plucked.  He still could not believe his eyes.  He knew it was real it was just so far off from anything he had done or seen.

"If you think it best I shall.  One moment."  He too leaned in and gave his horse a touch of affection on the snot.  A quick rub and he left the stable. 

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin turned back to the horse after the man had left.

"Are you sure about this...it will hurt." He said softly.

The horse tossed his head impatiently and nudged the Angelic in the ribs solidly.  The man gave a wry grin.

"My you are as impatient as your master....brace yourself noble one!"

He took the long feather and jammed it hard into the horse's shoulder, holding the quill beneath the skin.  The horse gave a shriek of pain and Alorin placed his other hand on the animal's forehead.

"Easy....you wanted this....hmmmm....the pain will go once they have grown."

The head of the feather seemed to burst and multiply, the other shoulder developed a hard lump and it erupted through the animal's shoulder causing the horse to whinny shrilly in pain.  Bones appeared and then coated with skin....and the the heads of tiny feathers budded and expanded.  Alorin kept whispering softly to the animal as the wings took shape, glossy raven black wings like his own.    Engof swung his head to try and look at the new additions and there clearly was no room in the stable to stretch them.

"Fold them...thus!" The Angelic showed the horse how to tuck the wings back.

Parkway

Engof did as the angelic told him.  The pain had diminished just as he said it would and he tossed his head nudging the one softly.

Meanwhile outside Opaas heard Engof and had to steel himself against going back in.  He had to trust his instinct that nothing that would truly meme the horse was being done.  But he was tense.  Anxious and although it really did not take long to him it felt like eternity.

Than Engof emerged from the stable lead by the angelic.  To say he was in shock when he saw the man's wings.  Let's just say if he truly did not know himself he would think he had partaken in some of his comrade's mushrooms. 

"I don't believe my eyes.  Never would have..."  Opaas was at a lost for words.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin let Engof walk to his master, the horse spreading his magnificent wings, showing off as he did.

The Angelic leaned against the stable wall and surveyed his handiwork, not something he would usually indulge in, but the animal had been willing and it had been of little inconvenience.  He felt a little weary though, the drain of his power had been substantial as the wounds needed closing and he had given the horse a little of his life force.

"This horse can fly after all."  He said wryly.

"We travel together."

Parkway

Opaas eyes closed several times.  Was this really happening and Engof!  Was almost prancing like a show one would!  "Engof!"

He didn't notice that it drained Alorin.  It wasn't that he was inconsiderate he was just uneducated on how his powers worked and what it had taken to give Engof wings and the gift of flight.

With a nod he looked at his steed.  "Ready boy?"  It was something he often said.  Almost a ritual to him now.  "Yes, let's take...er...go?"

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin remained against the wall, he was tired and from experience he knew that Engof needed to practice flying and landing and they had the rest of the evening.  It would be better if the horse bore his rider by day and rested by night.

"It would better if you let him take the first flight alone....he has to learn how to take off and land....and keep his wings beating." The Angelic said softly.

He knew Opaas was eager to go and save his sister....but the girl was already lost.  Jelenis on the other hand was in grave danger....truly grave danger.

Parkway

Opaas sighed!  The man was right, what did he think that Engof would just know how to do it.  "Of course you are right.  I am not thinking clearly.  My mind is engulfed with worry."

He stepped back and looked at his horse.  It might be like the first flight a dragon took.  So Opaas walked to the front and rubbed Engof's snout again.  "Okay boy, flap those bad boys you were given, like Malamur would do.  Remember the big bronze beast would flap and flap.  Up and down.  He first had to take a few steps so don't worry if you need that too."

With another affectionate pat he stepped back and waited to see what the horse would do.

Engof shook his head as his left leg stamped the ground, not in aggression but in a way to communicate his understanding.  With that he flapped.  He needed to get comfortable with the two appendages.  The horse pranced and flapped.

Jelenis Tythe

The Angelic watched this with some amusement and finally called out.

"Get him to break into a gallop Opaas....he will understand what needs to be done!"

He watched the pair.

"Landing will be confusing to him he will need to come in to land at a gallop too and outstretch his wings  to slow himself.  He'll get the hang of it."

Parkway

Opaas nodded at the angelic and gave the command to Engof to gallop.  The horse immediately obeyed the whistle and broke into a gallop as its wings continued to flap. 

As if it was meant to happen the horse took flight.  It still used its legs but the wings carried it higher and higher. 

Opaas at first just stood and stared slack jawed. As his eyes registered Engof.  Soon he came too and whistled a high shrill and the horse heard him and turned in flight it was a graceful sight.  Opaas singled with his hands for Engof to come in and land.  The horse was still moving his legs which was to Opaas' relief as he watched him come in.

The horse seemed to instinctively keep its wings spread as his hooves hit the ground.  It wasn't as graceful as his flight but he didn't stumble as he came pounding hard at a gallop past Opaas trying to slow.  Which after a few minutes did happen as the big horse did turn around and come trotting back.  Clearly proud of himself.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin nodded as he had watched the horse take off and land, he seemed to take to it well enough.  Engof finally trotted over to him and nudged him in the chest a few times.

"I know....well done....you need to keep an eye on that landing though."

The horse whickered and tossed his head up and down, almost as if in jovial agreement.

Alorin looked over to the elf and wondered whether he would want to leave immediately, it would be easier for the animal to travel by day, but he knew the elf wanted to go and find the girl.

Parkway

Opaas watched as his horse flew and landed.  It was surreal. 

He watched as the two communicated and he couldn't help but feel pride for the horse.  Engof has been the single purchase he felt was more the. Worth the price he paid.  The horse proved it again tonight.

Now he was faced with a dilemma.  What was their next move?  Leave tonight?  Was it safe?  He hated being at someone else's mercy.  But, he had to go with whatever the Angelic suggested.  he didn't want to risk Engof.  So with a deep breath he bite the bitterroot and asked.

"Can we leave now?  Or is it best to leave in the morning?"  He trusted the man as said before he had done more for Opaas than anyone so far.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin pushed the horse away gently and straightened as the elf addressed him.

"It would be safer for Engof and yourself to fly by day for the first few times." He said softly.

"Also bringing this about has tired me...I would like to rest too.  I prefer somewhere high...perhaps the hayloft."

He nodded at his choice, normally he would prefer his eyrie in the heavens...but needs must.

"Will you take a room at the inn or rest in the stable?" He asked Opaas.

Parkway

He nodded, what else could he do?

"I understand."  He did but this didn't mean he liked it.  But neither did he want to risk Engof in any way.

"Hayloaf, yes...um...No I cannot stand the smell of that inn I shall bunk here myself". he pointed towards the stable master area.  "I will be over there, please when you are ready wake me." 

With that he whistled again for Engof who trotted proudly over.  Opaas lead him to his stall.  Telling him to tuck his wings in and chuckling as the horse struggled just a little trying to manage.  Once in the stall Opaas gave him some oats and two apple slices with fresh water.  With a pat he headed towards the bunks.  Hopefully one would be empty.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin climbed up to the Hayloft not wanting to expend any further energy by doing it as he might usually.  He threw open the loft door and stared out into the night thinking about the boy and moreover the demon that held him.

Sabre was a canny creature, devlishly charming, and a fighter to match no other  among his kind, such was his princely heritage.  Why he had shown such an interest in this elvish female and Jelenis was an odd thing.  Alorin surmised that he wanted the woman as his pleasure diversion and Jelenis to corrupt...it was whetehr he had figured out what Jelenis truly was, if so the boy's corruption would be slow progress, a trigger would have to be found to instil in him.

He settled in the straw and closed his eyes, he needed to rest, tomorrow, he felt was going to be a long day.

Parkway

Opaas finished off seeing to Engof's needs and headed to the bunkhouse.  He entered and looked about.  He sighed with relief when he saw the empty straw beds.   He asked the first stable boy he came across if he could bed for the night and the young boy nodded in affirmation.

"Please, it will be a few bits leave them on the masters table."

Opaas did as asked and removed his bow and quiver placing them right next to the bed.  Next his heavy boots.  Laying on his back the sounds of the fire crackling and some of the horses moving calmed and soothed his frazzled nerves.  He looked up at the ceiling and for the first time pondered if there truly were Gods?  There had to be or where did the man he encounter tonight come from?  His head swam with what challenges were ahead for them. 

He silently for the first time since hitting manhood said a silent pray to the Gods to watch over the young man and his sisters.

Parkway

Opaas sat up something disrupted his sleep.  He did not know why but he felt a dread come over him.  Something he couldn't place.  It wasn't physical but he felt it.  Something terrible was happening to Flori or that young man.  Morning could not come fast enough for him.  He struggled to find sleep again.

Jelenis Tythe

Just as the elf below was restless in his sleep so was Alorin. The Angelic had wrapped his wings about himself as he tried to sleep but his mind was too full of questions.

What would he find when they finally managed to track their quarry down?

Would the boy be beyond salvage....would he have to execute his own nephew?

Would the girl be Sabre's beyond all shadow of a doubt?

He shook his wings and sat up and brushed at his eyes....he could not sleep...so he would pray and the gods would grant him strength to re-generate his powers...sleep was obviously not going to do that.

Parkway

He turned but this feeling of dread would not dissipate.  Try as he might it was an odd sensation.  he said another pray just because he didn't know what else to do.  He silently asked for the wisdom and strength to help the two lost souls.

His fear was that his sister was lost to the demon and the boy would also be lost or worse something tragic happens to him. Opaas asked for forgiveness of not coming sooner.  He wasn't sure what was appropriate and hoped he wasn't asking for too much.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin sat and listened as he heard and felt the man's prayer down below him.  He knew that if Sabre had gotten into the girl deeper enough she would do anything he wanted...anything he asked because she would love him unreservedly. Arina had loved her Demon the same way, and she married that one...bore his child....forsaken her kin and her people.

Such influence did Demons have....some more than others.

Tags: