Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Earth's hidden lessons... (Ickedu)

Started by Paia, June 19, 2014, 01:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paia

Paia huddled herself around the dwindling campfire and sank deeper into the sparse, woollen blanket she had stolen from the washing line of a fishwife's cottage a few leagues back. She patted the flank of the chestnut stallion laying next to her, and whistled softly to herself. The tune was one from her childhood, when her mother would sing her to sleep. Strange that it should suddenly reawaken when thoughts of her mother embittered her so. She hadn't even said goodbye...

She thumped a log hard out of frustration, and held her head in her hands. The destrier whickered softly and nudged her arm at which she began to cry, softly at first but with increasing fervency as she allowed herself a release. As if she had planned it the skies opened, gently spitting at first but getting harder, as she cried harder, almost as if she were controlling the weather with her tears. She began to weep inconsolably as she begun to realise that occurrences like this were happening all too often, ever since she had had that accident in Connlaoth.

Connlaoth...even the name made her burn with rage. The campfire suddenly roared in defiance, alongside her own, before dying away instantly, along with her own rage, plunging her into a malicious darkness. She tried to tell herself that it had been quashed by the persistent rain, but something inside her told her that that was not the case.

She suddenly felt very, very alone.

Ickedu

One was never alone in the forest.

There was life everywhere. Animals, spirits, even the trees and plants. A living family, watching out for each other, caring for each other. And sometimes they could even tell about what happened. You just had to know how to listen.

It had already been some days ago, when Cervine had heard about some unusual events. The elements sometimes went wild, as if listening to a foreign power. So Cervine was here to find out what this power was.

He had walked through the woods for the whole day and was just thinking about turning back and abandoning the search for now, when it suddenly began to rain. The druid looked up to the sky in astonishment. Nothing had indicated rain until now. And several paces north, there still was no rain to see. So the cause of the rain had to be south, in the center of the unusual weather.

Using his staff as a walking stick Cervine continued his way, mostly unhindered by the terrain or the plants that were very dense here.

A few moments later he could see the shine of a fire, first roaring and following dying down, only a short distance away. He continued his way silently, his steps hardly making a sound.

When Cervine reached the place where he had seen the fire, he stopped as soon as he could see the person at the camping place. He was still making no sound and was almost invisible between the underbrush.

He watched the young women a few moments, then extended his hand, closed his eyes and concentrated.

In front of the young woman a little white anemone began to grow, slightly rustling when breaking through the old leaves on the ground. First a stem and leaves only, but a few moments later it bloomed, and its little white petals even seemed to shine a little, as if reflecting the sun from behind the clouds that still covered the sky above the young woman.

Paia

Paia heard a rustling sound, as quiet as a mouse, but she had definitely heard it. Again the great destrier whickered softly and she removed her hands slowly from her face. In front of her stood a white anemone, small in physical size, but tall and proud in its grandeur, as she had once been. She lost herself momentarily, before she could even wonder where it came from, in the pure joy of the pretty little flower dancing gently in a sudden ray of dappled sunlight.

As if struck by an unseen force, she begun to search wildly around her as she realised that the flower had been put there magically. She could sense...something. The blanket fell, forgotten now, as she drew her sword and swung it frantically around her, as if by cutting the very air she could protect herself from whoever had put the flower there.

The fire responded to her frustration and slowly cackled into life, viciously spitting embers and spewing thick acrid, smoke. Paia paid no heed, her face wet with many tears, as the flower danced and the fire cracked.

"Come out!" She swung around to face the opposite direction "I said come out! I know you are out there...I can feel you!"

Adelinde

Adelinde flew above the forest. There was always something to eat there, like bears and deer, but it was hard for a fifty-foot dragon to get them through the trees. She was flying around, hoping to get lucky and find something in a clearing, when she saw a human female below go crazy. She was slashing one of those things called a sword, just a sharp stick to Adelinde, and all of a sudden a bonfire came to life beside her. Adelinde got as low as she could, and circled. "Umm, no one's there, so far as I can tell....." She said.

Ickedu

((hmmm... this actually is no open thread, that's why my name is behind the title ;) I wrote you a PM.))

Ickedu

((ok, so let's go with dragon for now :) ))

Cervine just wanted to show himself to the woman at the fire, when he suddenly could hear a loud voice from the sky.

A Dragon!

A dragon? Now? here in the Draconi Forest? Cervine knew some of the dragon riders in the area and even the one or other wild dragon. But this one he had no idea who it was. And it was a very big dragon for what he had seen until now. His mind raced and immediately he contacted his Spirit Bond to get information and support in case the situation should get dangerous. But no one back at home knew something about this dragon, and the support would take some time to reach him here.

So Cervine stepped out of the underbrush to be seen from above and from the fire and began preparing the conjuration of his spirit armor. A slight wind came up. Leaves began dancing around him, but they not yet assembled to really form his armor. On his head could be seen a really slight shimmer in the form of deer antlers, a moment it could be seen, then it again looked as if nothing had been there.

He raised his voice so that even the dragon should hear him. But despite the loudness of his voice it still sounded somewhat comforting and protective. First, he addressed the dragon: "Be welcome, great one. The young woman is correct, here I am. I am sorry for hiding. If you like, we would be glad to have you down here with us... Although it would be easier for us to have you in a form more alike us."

Then he looked to the young woman at the fire. "Please lower your sword, I mean you no harm and am sorry for sneaking up on you. The woods will protect you and keep you safe."

Paia

Thoroughly confused, and despite her better judgement, Paia lowered her sword as her chest heaved with exertion. A moment ago the clearing had been quiet and peaceful, radiating the energy within everything. Maybe that was it? She hadn't affected the weather herself, but as she was in Adela, she must have stumbled upon some magical glade. That must be it...surely?

Still uncertain as to what exactly was going on, her eyes flitted between the strange man and the dragon. Were these sent by her family to fetch her back to Connlaoth? 'No, they would not send a dragon fool!' she shook her head at her own stupidity. At that moment, a haze appeared around the strange man...were they antlers? She shook her head again as if to clear some fog from her mind and sight.

She remembered a folk story her mother used to tell her about the horned guardian of the forest, was this him? The story had been her favourite as a child and she had often wished for there to be some truth to the tale, however, growing up in Connlaoth had purged any magical spirit from within her and giving the current state of affairs, she could be executed for even having such thoughts. Still, she had been having dreams recently. Dreams of a beautiful stag, following her and guiding her. The dreams had not scared her, and something told her not to be scared now. Whether it was the gentle aura surrounding the stranger or the relaxed posture of her horse, despite herself, she began to relax.

Her mind was hazy and her thoughts clouded and confused, but a sudden wave of calm serenity overcame her and she lowered herself to the log.

"Who are you? What do you want from me?" The questions were not directed at either of them in particular, and though she uttered the words in a barely audible whisper, she did not doubt both would hear.

Ickedu

The dragon had flown onward over the trees and could not be seen at the moment, but Cervine was not sure if it was just flying a round and then come back, land somewhere with more space and then come to them in another form, or if it really had left. But it was not necessary to look for the dragon right now, his companions from home would do this in his stead. His interest now belonged to the young woman.

He withdraw most of the magic that had prepared his spirit armor and the wind around him died down to a slight breeze. Also his antlers vanished completely again.

With calm steps and a friendly smile on his lips he walked towards to the woman, leaning slightly on his staff. Originally Cervine had thought about confronting the young woman, to test what powers she possessed. But now, with the dragon near, this could be too dangerous.

When he had reached the woman he bowed slightly for a greeting. "I am called Cervine. I am glad I found you."

He gave her horse an approving nod, then he casually sat down to the ground, his staff laying next to him and continued to speak with a calm and resonant voice. "I already feared that I had missed you. Some voices told us, that there is a young human with an notable relation to the elements in the woods. So I wanted to get to know you."