Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Little dragon, Big world [Open]

Started by OpalBones, November 25, 2014, 05:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpalBones

Many things are large to a hatchling.  An old forgotten wagon wheel leaned against a tree is large but makes a cozy place to sleep under at night, a wolf is huge mass of fluffy fur but those never come very close to her. But this..This is massive. She had found this massive thing while stalking a particularly crafty horned beetle and before she knew it she was surrounded by curving ivory beams that tilted inward toward her like many fingers of a reaching hand. The beetle was forgotten as she gapes in awe of the strange cage of pale ivory she has wandered into. Walking on she finds a small cave made of the same pallid carving but at the end of the cave are strange holes with two large ones that loom above her head and let in pools of warm light and below then a jagged patten of points that meet much like her own teeth. It is with mounting horror and a tiny peep does she realizes she is in the massive skeleton of what once been an enormous dragon.

Arovell wastes no time backing out of the skull of the dead dragon and backwards onto a small lump. She looks down beneath her claws to see shat she is perched on the fallen vertebra of the monster with the rib cage rising to either side of her at heights that rival the trees. Where once healthy organs lived now leaves litter, where once keen eyes had been now a sapling sprouts, the terror of the deadly beast apparently not strong enough to keep nature away. The dragon shoes no obvious sign of death and as far as Arovell can tell it is as much a stranger as the large dragons she sees in the sky in the evenings.

She cannot say she feels loneliness for she has never lived with another creature but some instinct draws her to want for company. It's dangerous to meet strange dragons, this she knows from her mother's voice when Arovell had been in her egg, but she cannot help watching the dragons in the sky with yearning feeling. Too young to fly, too young to fight. She sinks her front claws into a side of rib that seems stable enough and yanks her body up, gripping the bone with her back claws as well. She scrabbles up the under side of the giant rib bone, a tiny white dragon that has glints of yellow-red-blue when the sun hits her scales, climbing until she reaches the top tip and climbs over to the topside.

The view from this height is a pleasant change that stirs her blood. She belonged high above the ground the way fish belong in water, a deep sigh rising from her chest as she breaths in the cool mountain air. Her wings extend and spread out from her slender body, so thin and fragile when you realize the leathery monstrosities they will someday become, but not now. Now, they are translucent materiel stretched tight over thin sticks of white with blood veins showing as the dappled sunlight from the trees turns them into living sun-catchers and set them aglow. The light is a warm blanket that wraps around her and penetrates into her scales with a loving embrace so that her neck arches in pleasure like a swan and her eyes close to enjoy it. So here she sits perched on the rib bone of a possible ancestor, a dragonette made of opal with the only sign of life being the quick rise and fall of her sides and the occasional pink tongue flicking out to taste the air.

Bree

Few things are as large to a grown dragon, though by their standards Kassir'a was still young. Her bones would not decorate any mountainsides for quite some time, or at least, that's what she hoped. The Blood Maiden swept low over the mountainside, spotting the bones and just barely catching a flicker of the hatchling as she flew by. She slowed her reckless plunge and turned back, circling until she spotted the child again. She hovered, wings moving slowly and powerfully to lower her until she could see the hatchling more clearly. A hundred feet out, the massive female tilted her head to the side and narrowed her eyes.

Ku're'na'vaed'a Her mind opened up, flowing toward the child and touching gently, trying to make contact with the use of telepathy. Hatchling The word was repeated in the common tongue, hoping the dragonlette would understand. I do not harm. Her voice was powerful, rich, a deep alto that rang with truth. Her wings adjusted to move her closer to where the hatchling perched, and she beat her wings harder to fly up and land above and to the right side of where the body lay, trying not to frighten the child, her mind still trying to connect with the child's to provide reassurance.

I am Kassir'a dar'i Ka'de'yur'a Ah'k'nele'u-- Kassir'a the Blood Maiden. Let me help you. Kassi's Elvish is probably foreign to the hatchling-- it's an ancient and long-dead dialect, and she was the last speaker as far as she knew. She heard claws clicking on bone and turned her head to look, but she could not see very well. The child was on one of the few areas of the body above the ground, and Kassi worried something bad was going to find her. Something is in those bones with you, new-wing. I do not know if it is Kallu'shir or not. I can't see into them. Let me help you, ka'de'ah'ke'lu du'we'kle'te'a, daughter dragoness.

Kassi was right-- something was in the bones, but nothing that wanted to hurt the child. It was Kallu'shir, come to reunite with his mother after a failed search for something to snack on. The two and a half year old wolf looked around, hoping there was a way out so he could get to Kassi faster than having to climb around or over this heap of body. Familiar tendrils of thought and imagery entered his head then, and he warmed slightly knowing that Kassi was still with him despite physical distance. Pictures danced in his mind, sent from her. A scaly-reptile-fire-breath-lizard, pale in color, and... tiny. Kallu blinked in surprise, and he heard her rumble of amusement in his head. More pictures. Kassi wanted to save her, to take the hatchling home with them.

Kallu's head tilted in confusion, and another rumble of amusement graced his head. Apparently, the scaly-reptile-fire-breath-lizard was so small because it was a puppy. Defenseless, unable to use its fire-breath or fly away from danger, it was a miracle the hatchling had lived this long without a mother. Naturally, his mother wanted to take the poor thing in and help it grow big and strong and fierce, the way she'd done for Kallu himself. The wolf's shoulders rolled in a shrug of indifference-- he didn't care if they brought it home with them, but the left paw was his to ride in. Another image came, one of the two of them sharing the paw. He huffed in annoyance, but realized Kassi wouldn't be able to land with only two paws in use.

Worry not, little-wing, it's my son in the bones with you. He is young like you, but a wolf. She really hoped her words were reaching the child. In case she didn't know what a wolf was, Kassi attempted to send an image of Kallu to her. He would like to be your friend. So would I.

Tags: