Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Shimmering Sea ((Haze!))

Started by CastlesInTheSky, February 04, 2012, 04:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix crossed his arms, clicking his tongue. He didn't seem to be under the effects of the song's spell anymore, nor did he remember why she had been suddenly fascinating a few minutes ago. Of course she was beautiful, but what exactly had he been doing?

"Mm. We can both play the 'I'm a human' game, miss. Tell me, really." He looked at her curiously, tilting his head to the side.

Haze

She didn't know if she should tell him. In fact, she was almost certain that she shouldn't. She heard stories about humans and their tendencies to examine species other than their own, and pets of them. She didn't think she really wanted to be a pet. Reevahn turned her body to face him, and crossed her legs beneath her. In her mind, she was already starting to conjure a song, and sent it weaving through the air.

Easiest way of deterring unwanted questions? Distraction. She smiled to him, and leaned forward a little, toying with a curl of hair with her fingers. "Why is it that you want to know? I am what you see before you."

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix was about to make another comment, frowning, when another beautiful song began to surround him, filling his mind and his senses with its essence. Within ten seconds he was already staring at her again, completely captivated. A smile replaced the frown on his face as he said, softly, "Alright, whatever you say. I believe you. Either way you're still beautiful." He rested his chin in his hand, staring at her with eyes half-lidded. It was obvious that the spell of her song was in full effect, and also that he would probably do anything she asked him to do.

Haze

If only she could have this kind of reaction without singing. If it was possible, Reevahn was jealous of her own ability to enthral and engage Pheonix. She would have pouted, if he hadn't been watching her. He doesn't like me unless I sing. I wonder if I could get him to like me without the singing? I wonder what he does? I want to see more of the mainland... maybe I'll ask him.

Instead, turning on a bright smile, she tilted her head and spoke. "Pheonix, would you take me to see the world? The whole world? I want to see everything. Mountains, and rivers, and deserts. Can we go? Please?"

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix kept his full attention on her, as if she were the only person in the world. All he could think about was her. None of the things that usually flooded his mind were present any longer. All thoughts of his father, mother, sister, and various problems were forgotten for the time being.

The man in front of her brightened at the mention of taking her anywhere. See the world? The entire world? If it involved her he was up for it.

"Sure! I will take you wherever you want to go." His smile faded suddenly. "Well...though," he looked away for a moment, "I'm not really...well, human...but I'm part human. I figured you should know and all, if we're going to travel together-" He stopped rambling and looked at her sheepishly. "-is that okay?"

Haze

"You will!" Delight spread across her delicate features, and she could hardly stop herself from clapping her hands together in glee. What she did refrain from doing however, was bowling into him in an over exuberant embrace. Even his admission that he wasn't entirely human couldn't deter her.

"That's no problem," she replied cheerily, making a move to stand. She'd forgotten how painful it was though and the instant she was upright, she blanched. Plopping straight back down again, she sat cross legged and inspected the tender sole of a foot. "I guess I should tell you I'm not entirely human either - " Like... at all. " - So we shall be two not entirely human travelling companions. " She beamed at him, and took a moment to look up from her foot and study his features.

With a curious tilt to her head, she hummed. "What makes the other part of you then?"

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix was a bit worried when she stood and immediately sat down as if standing hurt her, but did not comment. He assumed it was due to her previous 'almost-drowning' in the water, but quickly became more interested in the fact that she was speaking to him again. He smiled at her, but seemed a bit embarrassed.

"Well, good to hear that you're not completely human either, so you may understand a bit more, but...well, I'm part demon. Half demon, actually." He looked away, running a hand through his hair nervously. "Yeah, figured I should say since people don't like demons, though I swear I don't do any of that eating humans thing or anything, really." The last sentence was said quickly, as if he wanted to dismiss himself from that subject quickly.

Haze

"Oooh... demon" she said, nodding as if she knew what that meant. She didn't. She squinted at him, with her head still tilted, and closed her blue eye, leaving the green on to inspect him. And when that eye didn't see anything unusual, she switched. The whole time she was leaning in closer, until the point where, when she finally opened both eyes, she was practically nose to nose with Pheonix.

"I'm a Siren." She popped back at him quite matter-of-fact, deciding to tell him the truth, since he had been so honest with her. Her snowy eyelashes flickered a few times, while she considered her question for him. "Would a demon eat a Siren?"

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix couldn't help but stare at the girl in front of him as she leaned closer to him. He sat as still as possible, seeming to be frozen in place as she eventually came less than an inch from his face. A faint blush coloured his cheeks. Up this close, she could probably tell that his eyes were deep red.

He had heard of sirens, but wasn't particularly afraid of them. Of all beings he feared his father more than any. He figured if he had survived as long as he had under his father's direction then he would do fine with anything or anyone else.

"No, no, never." He stared into her eyes, studying them. "I...um...you..." He blushed a bit more. She was...very...close. And very pretty. And he was blushing, darn it!

Haze

"Oh, well that's good then!" She grinned playfully, and settled back, giving the poor man some breathing space. "We'll have no problems travelling together. You wont eat me, I wont eat you - we'll get along just fine!"

She glanced over her shoulder, and then back to Pheonix. "You've gone all red," she commented, reaching out with a hand to brush along the side of his face curiously, "is that a demon thing? Or is that a human thing? What does it mean?" She had so many questions.

"When can we go? Now? Where will we go?

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix let out a small breath he hadn't realized he had been holding and was pleased about her answer. Well, that was a bonus that they wouldn't be eating each other. He glanced around for a moment, then seemed slightly startled as she touched his face. She didn't know what blushing was? Well, perhaps that wasn't something that sirens had happen to them.

"Well, more of a human thing. It doesn't really mean anything important," he said. He seemed a bit distracted now. He wasn't staring at her like he had been, but looked around more. The spell was still in effect, but at a lesser potency.

"I guess we can go soon. Would you mind if we stayed here just a bit longer? I'd never seen a beach before today." He looked curiously at the ocean and back at the sand, fiddling with some of it.

Haze

She could tell. But she wasn't going to do it again. She was feeling tired from constantly singing to him. Perhaps he would still be her friend, once she'd stopped with the luring. She pursed her lips a little, and shuffled a tiny bit further away, bringing her knees up to her chest, and matching his gaze at the ocean. "I guess so," she said, flicking a finger out towards the ocean. In that moment, the ferocity of the waves increased, till they were just lapping before their feet.

She turned her chin towards him, and folded her arms over her knees. "Where are you from then? It's sad you've never seen a beach before. I wish I could take you under water with me. It's so beautiful down there."

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix watched the waves, interested by the sound they made. It sounded powerful, as if all the water in the world was in the ocean. He wondered where it ended, but supposed he would never know. He had heard from someone once that the earth was flat, so perhaps the water spilled off the edge of the earth and onto the stars. He didn't know.

"I wish you could too, but I'm not that great of a swimmer." He looked back at her. "I'm from around the middle of Serendipity. I didn't have a reason to travel here until recently."

Haze

"Really?" She asked, still curious as ever, "What brought you here, then? Was it a girl?" She felt a little pang of jealousy, even though she'd barely known the man more than an hour. It was that way with her - once she began to trust another, she was quick to form attachments. She already knew that if she needed to, she'd protect him, some way or another. Not that there was anything to suggest that was going to happen.

Reevahn didn't see the men approaching from behind her. She didn't even hear them. There were three of them. One marched straight up behind Pheonix, and crouched with a dagger held against his throat. Another came and grabbed at Reevahn's hair. She let out a frightened yelp, and her hands came up to struggled against the pull against her scalp. The third man came to bob down in front of her. "Well well well, boys. Looky here." He grinned an almost toothless smile, and the siren recoiled from the stench of his foul breath. "Vaaron, you ever seen markings like this before?"

The man who had her hair, Vaaron, apparently, jerked Reevahn's head back, and peered down at the bubble-tattoos under her eye. "I reckon I 'ave, Barker. I seen 'em once on a siren. Pretty things, them sirens."

"Yeah," piped up the other man, his voice high and squeaky, "I seen a siren once. Made good money in a brothel, she did." Barker's grin only widened.

"Let's see if we can fetch us a pretty price for her then, shall we?" He cast a lazy glance at Pheonix, and then up to the man behind him. "Knock 'im out, Thatch. I don't need him."

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix smiled briefly, but only a breath of his reply was uttered before he felt the cold metal of a knife at his throat. Adrenaline surged through his veins, sending its white-hot fire to his fingertips. His mouth twisted into a scowl. With disgust he glared at the near-toothless man and wished he could lean away.

Even though he had just met this siren woman (and now that he had thought about it more, probably had been entranced by her), he did not appreciate seeing her being roughly handled by these disgusting men who surely promised her a lifetime of slavery of some sort. For him, they promised a smack on the head and a bruise in result, perhaps something more if he decided he didn't appreciate them very much.

'Knock him out'? No! No! He was not going to put up with this crap! He had already made a decision of what he was going to do the moment the man took the blade away from his neck to knock him on the back of the head. Just as the man behind him raised his hand, Phoenix twisted around and spat fire into his face. Taken by surprise by this attack, the man grabbed at his burning hair and allowed Phoenix to stand and stumble off to the side, only to be confronted now by two other men, in addition to the one that was very angry with him. Phoenix looked around to all of them, glaring.

"Who the hell is next? Come on, you want her you have to go through me first!"

Haze

The flash of fire from the corner of her eyes was enough to stop her struggling, and she realised soon enough that the hands had gone from her hair. She looked at Pheonix in wide eyed wonder, while the men turned to face him. They were fairly snarling, unperturbed by the fact that this man could breathe fire, where as Reevahn was completely in awe, and forgetting that she had gifts of her own.

Barker and Vaaron both pulled weapons, while advancing on Pheonix. "Oh, that wont be no problem at all," Barker said with a nasty grin, "you can't scare me with your little party tricks. I seen plenty of it before." With that, he swished his knife on front of Pheonix's face, and took a jab at him.

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix realized at that moment that he had obviously served only to anger them and backed up, hoping to at least move the fight a bit farther away from Reevahn. He had just caught her eye and smiled a bit when Barker slashed his knife right at him, and he barely avoided it and the jab to follow. A puff of smoke or two couldn't save him now. He  needed to come up with something; he had only a knife a bit smaller than theirs, and the only flesh it had ever cut was that of a fish. A knife for a fish was hardly a knife for two bandit men with much more suitable weapons. No matter what weapons he knew how to use; if he didn't have them, they were of no use at all!

Phoenix decided to attempt to startle them again. He made his wings appear, those of a dragon, and hissed, "I'm giving you a warning; get the hell out of here before I burn you both alive."