Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

another grey day in the big blue world || whisper

Started by Anonymous, February 25, 2009, 11:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

((Just in case you haven't seen his profile yet, Leland has the ability to create tangible colors around his environment. It's briefly mentioned in here, though I think no one would actually notice. Hope it's good enough~~))

Since Leland had started working at his family's tavern, there had rarely been enough time for himself. No matter what he told his mother, he was almost always stuck with serving drinks; he had never been very personable and this particular occupation did little for his already lackluster personality. For a reason completely unknown to him, Leland's mother decided the entire family needed to visit her brother, and with that, the party of seven traversed to the port city of Cerenis. Since arriving late that night Leland had absolutely nothing to do, an unfortunate situation for the almost friendless boy. At first, his mother had insisted he stay with the rest of his family but Leland's desire to investigate the area, not to mention get away, finally won her over. An early breakfast and a promise to visit with his relatives later, Leland soon found himself at the edge of the beach.

Leland crept past the sand-covered grasses waving lightly, settling himself in the middle of the gritty shore. He simply stood for a moment, inhaling the crisp morning air and almost devouring the very breeze with his expression alone. How long had it been since he had seen the ocean? A painting come to life, tendrils of color and vibrant hues made manifest, right here before his eyes. Dark eyes searched the shoreline, taking in everything as if it were the Far past the ridge of rocks that lined the nearby port loomed islands shrouded in mist, some verdant green peeking above while others were much more foreboding, lurking in dismal brown-gray and tan. A furtive smile caught at his lips for only a moment, and Leland stretched his right arm forward with a delighted sweep. A brief flash of cerulean and seafoam green meandered along his line of sight, flickering for a split second from his conscious to the physical around him. Leland vaguely sighed, satisfied with his solitude as only he could be.

The young man stretched and flexed his feet in the gritty beach, filtering the refreshingly rough substance between each toe. Creeping waves lapped against his buried feet, filling the sandy holes and darkening the lower hem of his breeches. There was a certain delicious freedom in this, a delightful ability to discover whatever he wished. With that, Leland moved forward slowly, as if drawn by some hidden force or spirit to the frothy waters. Waves rushed towards the strange intruder as he continued, jerkin and breeches clinging to his skin in wet progression, until finally, he disappeared into the water.

The blue world beneath was anything but silent, filled with seemingly unending sound flourishing past his ears. It was the harsh dirge of the ocean, brushing its chilly fingers across his face, through his hair and everywhere along his bare skin. Though his eyes stung through the brine, Leland kept them open as he swam in the bitterly frigid waters. Through his blurred vision, he could see a few fish flitting about but nothing else caught his interest; it was merely the act of being beneath the water, almost a switching of reality, that made it so fascinating. Breaking the surface with his breath, Leland swept back his wet curls, treading water as his body gradually grew used to the cold.

Yes, there was nothing like the ocean.

Anonymous

((I saw! ^^ I always read profiles first. And sorry if my post totally sucks! I've thrown my sleeping schedule off again so I'm a bit fuzzy-headed right now *headdesk* I seem to write more and say less whenever I'm tired <3))

Sarivi moving lazily under the waves, occasionally flicking his fins and sending himself zooming after a group of fish, but for the most part staying slow. He was bored, horribly horribly bored.

Earlier that day had been plenty fun! He'd found out that the humans had mini versions of their funny boat things and gone to watch after them while they dragged fish up into them. He'd even talked with them for a bit, or tried to. That had been fun right up until the point that they'd started getting annoyed with the fish avoiding him, and after a bit of talking they'd managed to get the sprite to go away from the boats. He didn't really get it; after all, if they -really- wanted fish so badly, why didn't they just go into the water and catch them there? It was certainly easier to do so!

Of course, he could always go up on land and wait for his fins to dry so that he could go try to explore the human city again, but he was hoping that if he waited long enough the air would warm up a bit. The cool water he could handle quite fine, but there was just something about air that always made him rather shivery.

He dragged his fingers through the sand as he moved, glancing about for something fun to play with. Maybe the humans could have dropped something down into the water? They always had such strange things! One direction showed nothing, but when he turned his head the other way he blinked in surprise, shifting his legs to pause his movement. Was that... was that a human in the water? So they could swim! Or at least it seemed like it, unless it was a headless human that could mysteriously move it's legs? Odd though, that the other humans would stay in boats if they could swim anyways.

Curiosity got the better of him, and within a moment Sarivi had shifted course. Just a few kicks of his legs and the huge fins spreading out from him sent him gliding towards the person. He was more or less behind it, he thought, but being seen wasn't really something the sprite was worried about. As he moved he let himself rise in the water, his dorsal fin cutting through the surface before he swept his legs down to slow himself as he came to just a few yards away.

For a second Sarivi thought about just watching, even though he was fairly certain that the human could see him already. A few more seconds went by as he contemplated, then he shifted his position, poking his head up out of the water just enough for his eyes to clear the surface.