Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Time to Begin - Recruitment - OPEN

Started by Anonymous, March 27, 2009, 09:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The salty air stung her sensitive eyes. Regardless, she came out to the beach. The wind blew the sheer black gown around her legs, the waves rushed up to cover her bare feet... It was beautiful here. And the sun... how it burned her dark eyes. Like nothing else, it was so bright. Anthema to what she'd been studying. Still she came out here. Even as her eyes watered and tears slid down the ebony skin of her cheek. Chaszva remained in the same place for the whole of the morning. Until there was an aggravated huff from behind her.

"High Priestess?" The male behind her was her traveling companion. An added resource she was to use as she saw fit. The wind tussled her hair in her eyes, making it so she had to peer through the silver strands in order to watch the splash of oranges and yellows along the surface of the water in the distance. "What is it, Stavros?" Only then did the female dark elf turn around to look at her companion. He wore a coat, though the weather called for nothing more than a thin shirt, and black boots. He looked... out of place. Even though he had blue and white hair styled in something so different... half white, half blue and parted down the middle... it was his mannerism that made him an intruder to her reflection this morning.

The tall male drow crossed his arms, near blue eyes taking a moment to survey her. Like she was luggage he was not going to be pleased about carrying, but would do so without voicing a complaint. The small shadow, almost to her waist next to her, was all the threat that Chaszva needed. The goddess was with her. Even now. "If you are ready... I'd like to get started," he said with as much respect as he could muster. It brought a small smile to the drowess's painted silver lips.

She made her way from the beach and faced toward the city as she took her time brushing the sand from her feet. A tricky thing to do anyways. Wet, the sand wanted to stick to wherever she touched it. At first, it had been a surprise. Now, it only amused the drow. She'd never seen the 'surface world' before. Had never seen a beach, the sun... all of this was new. And it would not do to be recruiting members of this realm if she didn't know what everything was. So Chaszva had taken her time to become acquainted with the sun, though it still was rather bright and hurt her eyes. Though Mith Rendan had daylight, it was muted through gray clouds. Nothing so vibrant or warm as this sun. The warmth of the place was also new. She'd discarded her heavy coat the first day here and found her sheer gown to be perfect for the breeze. She heard Stavros sigh as she continued to brush at the sand. By the time she was fully dry and the sand released her, the sun had cleared the horizon to coat the whole of the world in its warmth.

Chaszva glanced at the small humanoid shadow next to her. It wouldn't be wise to just walk in the city with the shadow next to her. She extended a hand to the shadow, and used that to call the weapon to her. The shadow responded to the unvoiced command and melted into her own shadow that was naturally made. Sure, it made the natural shadow a little darker... but this way no one would know it was there. "I'm ready now," she said, turning her attention to Stavros, who had not moved from his annoyed position since he'd arrived. At that, the pair began to make their way up the road and toward the rather large port city. It was their first stop in recruiting for information and reconnaissance for Mith Rendan. The Dark Queen was always rather curious as to other realms. Any place where potential followers could be found, temples established... Chaszva was hoping to start one here. To become a Priestess of the Dark in this realm... it'd be thrilling. It was the hope of any follower of Assirra.

The city they encountered was much the same as any city. Thriving, bustling. Busy. And they were not the most exotic faire here. The two drow found it rather easy to simply become one with the crowd as they scanned out potential people to meet with. It would probably require some time before the pair of drow would find someone they could question. Or hire. Unless the city had some guild of sell swords. Even so, those sort tended to be loyal to the guild. Everyone had their price though.

In the end, the pair entered some tavern. A full day of walking around had led them to this place. It was called the Keen Sword, some rowdy place where there was some promising talent. It seemed busy enough as the two made their way to the bar. Stavros spent the whole time sizing everyone up in the room, wondering who to approach, who looked promising... and who was just a waste of space. His near blue eyes worked meticulously as Chaszva ordered the pair some water. Alcohol was not what they needed right now.

Anonymous

"This drink smells of Alk piss!" shouted a rowdy human, his voice just above the rest of the tavern. Nor had been watching him for some time, the flustered and overweight human had walked in a few minutes ago, his clothes were covered in mud and worse. He had not worked for that money, the blood still fresh on a knife he had not even bothered hiding in his boot. Nor paid attention to this one for that reason and that the bar owner who paid him to guard the place was actually mixing his drinks with Alk piss to save money.

"You paid for it, it's your choice weather to drink it." replied the owner, a short chubby man, with greasy hands and a broken nose. His whiny voice was very...irritating.

"Well I'm not drinking it till you give me my money back." Nor sat up straight, the owner was paying him to keep him and the bar safe. The owner motioned to Nor, who had been sitting, near the bar, in the corner of the room, his hood up to keep his face covered. The man looked at him with bloodshot eyes for a second debating whether to continue arguing. Come on mate, make the right choice, Nor thought. "I don't care what pamby boy you got guarding you, I want my money!" he said, reaching down for his dagger. Nor was up in a second, barging through a group of drinkers and drawing his sword before the man had even pointed the dagger at the owner. A look of surprise passed the man's face, Nor could tell instantly that this wasn't the first place he'd been drinking at. The smell of alcohol and filth coming from the man was al ost enough to make him gag, instead he kept his face straight and grim, an image of death if the man needed it.

"Leave now." Nor's voice was calm and commanding, the sword in his hand pointed at the mans chest. By this time the other customers and revellers had grown silent, all attention fixed on what was going on.

"He ain't worth it." said the man, perhaps the smartest thing he had said so far tonight. The man turned around and started to walk through the crowd, Nor turned as well to speak to the owner. He was about to say something when he noticed something in the owners eyes, his race had extremely good eyesight and Nor saw what it was in time. The man with the dagger was coming from behind the dagger in his hand. Nor placed his sword along his side and when the time was right, shoved it through his cloak and into the man behind. He felt the sword penetrate and the man let out a wheeze of air, before falling backwards.

"You owe me double for that." his voice full of menace and promised violence if the owner didn't pay. It would be just like the owner to have his protection killed on the day he was meant to pay them. Turning around Nor headed back to his seat, when he noticed two people watching by the bar. Indeed most of the bar had been watching the confrontation, but all of them apart from these two had gone back to their drinks. What caught his attention most was that one of them was wearing a coat, either he was hiding lots of weapons or he was mad, the heat here was almost unbearable. The woman on the other hand was dressed too finally to be from the towns. Nobility? He decided to find out, grabbing a seat next to her, he sat down and looked at her.

"What are a man with no sense of heat and the most beautiful woman I've seen in the last twenty leagues doing in place like this?" he was not lieing when he said she was beautiful, her ebony skin and unblemished face reminded him of the deities his people worshipped.

Anonymous

The two Drow that had immeditiatly caught the attention of one set of eyes when they entered.  The set of eyes happened to come from a rather small man.  His face hid by a hood, just like about 75% of the patrons that came to the bar.  Plus he had a mask covering the rest of his seeable facial features.  Thus leaving only his eyes visable, piercing red eyes.  The rest of his outfit was a black ensemble of leather armor, obviously designed by Drow or some other dark inhabitor of the underground world.  At his side was a longsword and longbow, both black.  He is sitting at a table with one other person, in fact it was a table close to the door and bar.  Thus he happened to be close enough to easily notice the two newcomers.  The only thought on his mind is why.  Why would a Drow Priestess be here?  Despite her looks, the small man was able to tell what she was.  He dismissed the other Drow male, mostly because it was the females that held the real power in Drow society.

Even when the entire event took place he didn't look away from the two at all.  Some stupid human?  To the small man all Humans were all stupid.  But the man that he sat at the table with was a stark contrast to the smaller man.  He obviously would stand six feet tall when he stood up.  He also wore a simple chain armor that was black and covered in skull motifs.  And the large man's side was a simple black mace.  The larger man watched the event with the stupid human and guard unfold with a malicious grin.  His face for the most part was also covered by a black hood.  Though, unlike the smaller man, he did not have a mask covering his face, thus leaving his pale gray corpse like skin visable.  "Ha!  The idiot deserved that one."  The big man said to the smaller man.  Than he noticed what he was staring at.  "Your right, I think she is your type."  The big man said jokingly.  This caught the smaller male of gaurd who immedtiatly turned to the bigger man.  "Thats not funny Uther."  He said rather seriously.  This just caused the bigger man to laugh.

Than the smaller man turned his attention back to the Drow.  Just in time to notice the guard approach the Drow.  And when he heard the guard speak to her the small man was immediatly on his feet and with head bowed stepped between the two.  Turning his head, still bowed, to the Drow he spoke first.  "Good day mistress.  I apologize for his lack manners, he knows nothing about Drow society."  And then turning his head he looked up to the guard's eyes and spoke.  "Word of warning pal.  That is not how a male is supposed to approach a female Drow.  Only if you are trusted by her could you maybe speak to her like that."  After telling him that he turned to go back to his table.  And the other man he was sitting with was just cracking up from laughter.

"Deandle!  I have never seen you act that way before!"  That man said when he got some control over his laughter.  "Especially sense what you told me of Drow society, that if a male were to talk to a female like that, they are supposed to be punished right?  And the way you acted was as if she is a person of power.  If that is correct...well...shouldn't you have killed the guard for his apperent bad manners?"  The bigger man said after calming down somewhat.  His was grinning, a grin of bloodlust.  He wanted to see another fight break out.  The shorter man simply stared at the bigger man.  "Its not like that Uther, it is the female to decide the males punishement.  In reality, I may have caused more damage than helped.  But still....I am curious."  He said and after pausing and taking a few steps away he turned back towards the Drow, and bowing his head slightly.  "His question still stands mistress, what are you doing on the surface world?"  It was apperent to anyone that he was completly ignoring the male drow.

"But before you answer, mistress, allow me to introduce myself and my friend over there.  I am Deandle Umbralstrike, ranger, and my friend is Uther Bonegnawer, high cleric of an evil god of death and chaos.  If the third member of our little group was here I would have introduced her to you.  We are traveling mercenaries."

Anonymous

Chaszva leaned against the bar, watching what there was to see around them. A lot of humans, a lot of them cloaked or drinking. It would've been infinitely easier to bring their own people, but the Dark Queen did not want to send an army here. Not yet, anyways. This was strictly gathering information and attempting to get a foot hold here. Though the Goddess had all the time in the multi-verse to wait and plan, Chaszva planned on being the one to settle this realm. There was little immortality for the mortal save being remembered for something great. It was the drow female's belief that was why Stavros was here. For the glory of his name and memory.

"This drink smells of Alk piss!" The sound of the human's declaration drew both her and Stavros' attention. Apparently the wizard had yet to find anyone of note because he'd remained silent since entering. Not that Chaszva had a problem with that. But if there was no talent to be found here, then why waste the time standing around? The female watched the small scene, noticing that many of the others around the bar were doing the same. The man was large, easily three times as wide as the slender drow, and apparently drunk as well. That was the reason Chaszva didn't mess with alcohol. It lowered one's guard. And common sense, obviously. The owner of the establishment moved to deal with the man who didn't like the quality of his drink.

Stavros gave a sigh of annoyance before taking a sip of the water. If he was hot in the coat he wore, there was not a bead of sweat to indicate as much. He brushed a lock of blue hair behind a pointed ear while peering about the room still. Where to even begin? What's more, the drow happened to hate humans. Apparently, that was all he had to work with. Why couldn't they have arrived at a realm full of slender elves? At least that would've given him something of interest to look at. The priestess was the only one around for... well, quite a ways. And Stavros wasn't about to get mixed up with Chaszva.

A collective intake of breath drew Stavros' attention back to the fight. He'd not heard what was said, but the guard of the tavern had a sword pressed to the man's chest. It was enough of a scene that the male drow continued to watch now. He briefly considered the merit of such a man. They needed informants as well as sell swords. Stavros was minutely curious how loyal said guard might be to the owner of this place. His near blue eyes slid to the small, beautifully figured drow next to him. Stavros was betting he could test the man using her.

Chaszva rose a single, slender brow when the large human was killed by a well placed sword. Truthfully, she could see the feint even as the drunkard had turned, deciding it was not worth it. If he'd been quicker... or smarter... then he could've thrown the blade rather than running at him. Granted, it was never a wise course of action to attack someone while drunk. You just ended up... well, dead. Much to her surprised amusement, the guard make his way over to them. She could nearly feel the tension coil up in Stavros. If Chaszva died on this mission, he'd never be able to return home. To the male who prided himself so much on his family name, the disgrace was worse than death.

The priestess said nothing nor did she move when the man approached. Better yet, he simply claimed the empty stool next to her and sat down. All uninvited. Not that she really cared, but it was something to note. What he said though, made her smile more than anything. "What are a man with no sense of heat and the most beautiful woman I've seen in the last twenty leagues doing in place like this?"

Stavros decided he immediately didn't like the guy. But being fond of someone was not a requirement to hire them. If the man was worth anything, then so be it. Stavros would put up with him. He didn't say anything though. Chaszva was leading this little party. So far.

The drowess took a sip of her drink, mulling over his question. She'd been about to answer, but... someone squeezed in the small space between her and the other man. "Good day mistress. I apologize for his lack manners, he knows nothing about Drow society." Chaszva's brows rose a fraction at his words, wondering if the man knew that she was not the average flavor of drow. But the warning that this new comer delivered was by far more amusing than the fact the other human had just walked over and sat next to her.

Stavros was near dumbfounded as some other male stepped between the priestess and the man she was talking to. He almost intervened thinking it may be a hostile action... until he heard the words. Then he just stared. Well obviously someone knew about drow, but Stavros and Chaszva were not Lolthian by any stretch. Their Goddess, Assirra, had no preference of sex. Rather, it was all based on power. Since Chaszva was stronger than him... because of that damned shadow... she led the party. But before anything could be said, the other man was gone... leaving both Chaszva and Stavros to stare at the guard as though blaming him for the fact the man had randomly shown up.

Chaszva glanced to where the smaller man had went before turning her attention back to the guard. As she started to talk, she found the other man was not done with them. Rather, he introduced himself as Deandle Umbralstrike and another man as Uther Bonegnawer. The names had absolutely no meaning to them... but what Deandle said about Uther... that had both drow's attention. A god of Death and Chaos? Both Chaszva and Stavros shared a look that clearly meant this may not go so well. There were very few deities that clashed with Assirra, but of those few they were very dangerous. The recent fall out with a God of Death had both Chaszva and Stavros on edge. It would take but a thought and her shadow would be on the cleric before a breath of spell could be uttered.

The guard would have to wait. If there was a fight to be had, both drow would be ready. "A cleric of whom?" Chaszva breathed softly, eyeing the man known as Uther. Even Stavros' attention was on him, spells on the tip of his tongue if the wrong name was used.

Anonymous

Nor watched slightly bemused by the conversation going on between the woman and man, who had just appeared. Drow and gods where not among Nor's concerns, but the look on her face was. He had seen that look on peoples faces before.

"If your going to fight. Do so outside or there will be more trouble than you can handle." he wasn't bluffing. The man at the bar may be a treacherous weasel, but the man was a smart treacherous weasel and magic traps where littered around the bar. Illegal just about everywhere, these things blocked a magic users abilities rill they left the bar. Nor had never seen the effects of this but, the bar owner, with much glee, had told him how unpleasant the effect was.

The man who had walked in certainly sounded like he knew what he was talking about. His friend seemed to irritating to be a threat, that laugh kept grating on Nor's ears, but Nor never took a man by his looks. Drinking from his mug of water, he tried to think of a way of avoiding blood shed, but failing to come up with anything hard, he decided to see if he could get an answer to his question.

"Anyway, I would like an answer to my question before you try to kill each other."

Anonymous

Indeed, while Deandle had indeed been born and raised in a Lothian society, he had largely moved to the surface world.  And he still held females in high status, regardless of their own societies rules.  Thus he came out as polite when it came to females.  But regardless, obviously, he had something wrong.  But at the moment.  It was up to Uther to answer the question.

As for which god he followed?  A very secretive god that no one except his clerics knew that he even existed.  Even his clerics knew not his name.  Only that he was a god of death and chaos.  As far as his clerics knew, he had no allies, and yet, strangely enough, no enemies.  Thus his clerics ranged the entire spectrum of good and evil, lawful and chaotic.  And yet, even if a lawful good cleric of this god met up with a chaotic evil cleric of this god, they would get along.  His objectives are obscure at best, and he just has his clerics do what they want to with the power given.  His only rule?  No in fighting.

Uther thought about that as he watched the two Drow.  Apperently, something had gone wrong with their god and another.  "Not the one your thinking of, I can guarentee you that much.  Er...mistress..."  Uther said in a very calm tone, his eyes flashing red for a moment.  What they didn't know was that he needed no hand motions or words to cast his spells.  Nor did they know that he wouldn't be killed by their attacks.  But that was not the issue.  Than suddenly Uther started laughing.  "I can't believe I just called you "mistress" like Deandle!  Seriously, I am a high cleric of a nameless god of death and chaos.  Even we his clerics do not know his name.  We just answer his call."  He said smiling.  He shrugged and leaned back in his chair.

Deandle turned towards Chaszva and looked her directly in the eyes with his piercing red eyes.  "There is no need for any cause of alarm about his god.  His god is at best, neutral with every god, and at worst, a confusing entity for the other gods.  That is all that Uther has told me about him Mistress."  Deandle said in a calm, relaxed voice.  Uther just shrugged his shoulders.

Anonymous

Stavros eyed the man next to the priestess, wondering the weight of the threat to take the fight outside. He wasn't too interested in fighting the man at all, but protocol... and his life... demanded that he did if the wrong name were uttered. The odds though of running into someone from Nerull were rather slim. Didn't meant that it couldn't happen. So it was best to be prepared. How amusing, he noted absently, that even gods had politics.

Chaszva took the situation vastly more serious than Stavros. Granted, this was her calling... her name... on the line. The shadow that hid with her represented Assirra's favor. If that dwindled... or if she failed, then she would be forgotten and destroyed. Most likely by Stavros because he was closer. While the male didn't have much to gain from her death, his family did. And that was enough to keep Chaszva on her toes when it came to religious dealings. She eyed the new comers for a long moment, debating on whether it was a set up. Between the first man's threat to take it outside, and the others denial of any animosity, she figured they were at least safe here. Besides, if they were potential workers, she couldn't scare them off. After a breath or so of thinking, Chaszva actually smiled. "No harm in asking." She glanced at the man sitting next to her and quirked a slender brow. "From what I saw of you, I'd assume you are paid to keep the peace here. Trust I've no desire to fight anyone. Profession curiosity was all." Then, she bowed her head in recognition and greeting to those present. "I'm Chaszva Kenrea. As to what I'm doing here... well, my companion and I are looking for some sell swords. We're doing a bit of traveling and as you can see..." She paused to glance down, using herself as the example. "We are not all well equipped for the travel. A priestess and a scholar can be rather rough targets. And I'd like to get where we are going in safety." She glanced at her companion then, indicating he could speak if he wished.

Stavros glared a little but said nothing. So he was to play the part of a scholar? Well, that made some sense. He was the one than was to draw up the maps, take notes.... Basically, Stavros had been nominated to do most of the reconnaissance work.

Anonymous

(ooc: meant to do this some time ago XD, conscidering how long it has been enough waiting on the other)
ic:
Clearly the one that worked here had his answer for he never said anything again after that.  But that was not Deandle's concern at the moment.  What concerned him at the moment was a under equiped pair traveling.  It was painfully obvious that they were not ready for traveling with what they had.  But, he figured this would be a good way to kill time and make some easy money.  No harm in travelers right?

"So, basically you are looking for escorts and guides Lady Chaszva?  Like I said earlier, I am a ranger and Uther is a cleric that are traveling mercenaries.  Accordingly, we travel often.  If you would like, we could assist you in your travels."  Deandle said calming, obviously he was in his buisness mode at the moment.  Uther just looked at him and shrugged his shoulders.

Deandle did happen to be the small mercenary group's leader.  So Uther could careless what the job was as long as he was paid good enough.  Typically he just sent his money to his church while keeping what he needed for armor repairs, and other such expenditures.  At the moment though Uther could care less.  A job was a job.  He had taken one that required him to babysit children before.  It was guarenteed that they were no longer afraid of the dark as they were when he first mean them.