Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I am the terror that flaps in the night! [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, May 31, 2013, 04:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Jarrett kept on walking, kept on puffing on his cigar.
"That's your first kill wasn't it?" he asked, pausing only in time to peer over at her from over his shoulder, that same subtle smile creasing into his cheek and met also subtly within his eyes.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Once again, Owl followed. She wasn't sure why, except for the burning need to correct him, to deny it.

"I didn't kill them."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Jarrett said nothing, simply shrugged and continued puffing on his cigar as he walked along again.
"First time killing, first time seeing a kill, I've seen that expression before," he said. Again he shrugged. "Sort of like a deer in torch lights." Or in her case, maybe an owl.

"So you prowl the streets often alone at these hours?" he asked, because, "Well, you'd better get used to what you just saw. There's a lot of talk about some band of killers and thieves on the loose that sound like a group of wild animals. Wolves to be exact." He pulled out the cigar and tapped the ashes aside and peered over at her.

"You got a name to go with that crazy out fit?" Because that, he'd like to know.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Owl shuddered at his observation and shoved the images from her mind. She was not about to lose it here.

She reached up to rub her eye, but acted like she was brushing a feather away from the eye hole so it didn't poke her. Then, with a deep breath and a cheerful smile, she answered his question with a courtly bow, cape fluttering. "Name's Owl," she said. "A crazy and obvious name to fit the crazy and obvious disguise! But if it fits, why not? Sometimes simple is better and easier to remember!"

Glancing over her shoulder, she looked back down the alley. It was empty, of course, but she was still rather jumpy. "Those 'Wolves', though. I'm pretty sure that's who I just met..."

Looking back to the stranger, she forced a laugh. "If they're the same 'Wolves', they weren't so bad! I hope to encounter them again, in fact. I've got some unfinished business with 'Eyepatch', anyway, and next time you can bet I'll finish it. Hopefully you'll be around to see that, too, mister...uh...what's your name?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

"Jarrett L'isson," he said through a breath of smoke. He didn't know why he even bothered giving her his real name. Probably because he figured the cape wearing, owl masked adorning 'hero' was as harmless as a flea, though perhaps as pesky as one. If she was smart and had resources (especially in the slums and the black market), she might come across his other alias's too, and what job description he fit under. But she wouldn't have to look into it as he informed her, "And I'm a wolf too, but I hardly roam in a pack." He smirked and looked over at her, the wind rustling through the wolf fur on his clothes. "If Jarrett L'isson is hard to remember, you could always look on the black market for The Lone Wolf. Cause that's how I like it." And he smiled. "Being alone." And he continued to simply walk away, eyes ever wary of those watching him from the shadows.
"Though it seems you and I are being watched," he said, pausing as he gave a thoughtful rub to his chin.

Aeytrious

The two Shadow Wolves listened intently. There were others nearby, but they were the ones put on babysitting duty. So her moniker was 'Owl', that would be useful. 'Eyepatch'? The wolves looked at each other and smirked simultaneously at that. Canis Rufus would get a kick out of that when he heard it. Jarrett L'isson? The Lone Wolf? Interesting, and important. Another Canis in the city that's not part of the pack. Important indeed. Another shared look, a nod, and one of the two dashed off, being joined by two others from the shadows nearby. This was information to be sent back right away, and the running wolf shared it with his two new shadows, who each then split off on their own. One could never be to safe with important information.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Owl eyed him, wondering if he was counted among those "wild animals" he spoke of. But she didn't get a chance to ask, because that was when he mentioned they were being watched.

Hand moving to her sword, she looked uneasily about. She didn't see anyone or hear anyone, but it set her on edge and she drifted closer to Jarrett.

"I don't see anyone..." she said, and then startled, glancing skyward. But the moon was out of sight, hidden by the high, narrow walls of the buildings around them.

"What time is it?"

visualspice

"Probably well past your bedtime, " Jarrett replied, blowing smoke towards the moon. He paused as he walked, studying her. "Why don't you go head home now. I'm sure there's only a few more hours left of twilight before you have to awaken into your real life."
Since it was obvious this wasn't her day job- or else this woman would be too poor, even for this routine. "Though you might want to be careful. Even if you can't see their eyes," he said, watching the fleeting shadows disappear. "They're always watching." And he took the end of the cigar and chewed, keeping eyes coasting across the shadows.

Rhindeer

The sky did seem to be lightening, though it could have been her imagination. But it was best not to take a chance. As much as she was dreading returning home and doing damage control, it would be worse if anyone woke to find her missing.

And she might be a night owl, but she had to sleep eventually.

And she had a lot to process from this night.

Despite all that, Owl grinned at the man and drew up her cape with her uninjured arm, mysterious-like. "A double-life is indeed a difficult life," she said with a rueful sigh. "But it's also better than a single life! With that, I bit you good night and happy hunting, good sir! This owl must return to its roost."

With a wink his way, she darted on ahead of him, keeping his warning firmly in mind. The problem was, how could you avoid a watcher you couldn't see?

Aeytrious

It was usual procedure to melt away as the sun began to rise. Shadow Wolves are to remain in the shadows, the day was ruled by the Scavengers and the Blood Wolves, but he had his orders. He was to keep the little bird safe. Hopefully she didn't live far. It would be good to get back to The Wolves Den and have a nice warm cider at the bar. He kept a safe distance from the would be hero, no need to spook the caped crusader. What was with masked vigilantes and capes anyway. Is there a rule in handbook somewhere that says they all need capes? Seemed to him it would just get in the way, like it was getting in the way of his view. He caught a peek at the shape of that ass when she did her flourish. He'd like another look. Chances were he wouldn't get it. Maybe though, she sure did like her flourishes after all.

If his eyes weren't so sharp, his own distracting thoughts would have made him miss the two figures that were now shadowing the girl. They weren't wolves, and he didn't recognize the garb from any of the other crews in the city. They had weapons drawn. 'They're after the girl!' He threw his small axe at one and three daggers at the other and dashed toward them, short sword drawn. They were caught by surprise, the axe taking the first in the head, but the other was fast, and he swung his cape up to catch the daggers. 'So that's what they're for,' he thought. But as fast as he was, blocking the daggers took too much time, and the short sword found his heart. As he lowered the dying man to the roof top, he noticed he was smiling widely. 'A smile? A TRAP!'

He spun around as a dart caught him in the neck. The poison was acting fast, he'd be dead in a moment. Shot from the shadows, he couldn't see his killer. They never wanted the girl. Thank goodness. It was him they were after, and they sacrificed two, just for him. Why? As life faded from his eyes, a cloaked figure stepped from the shadows, and spoke in a gravely voice.

"Thanks for the face little pup."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

visualspice

Jarrett smirked as she left.
"Interesting," he commented through is cigar, before tossing it out, not bothering to step on it beneath his boots as he slowly made after her. Not only was she a mark (though he was hardly a bounty hunter, someone wanted her alive for prosecution); but the wolves chasing her were. So he kept his hands in his pockets and made his way towards the direction she had gone, keeping quiet, to the shadows and ever alert. She was making her way towards the nicer end of town, and he gave a silent whistle under his breath, but then noticed her down the way and kept back. He didn't want to reveal he had been following her. Silence was key. And Jarrett was very good at making himself seem to disappear.

Rhindeer

It wasn't far to home, now, though the closer Owl got, the more wary she grew.

If she was being watched like Jarrett said, the last thing she wanted was a bunch of thugs knowing where she really lived.

So she didn't take the direct way home. She ducked through extra alleys and wound her way back in a sort of zig-zag fashion, cutting corners where she could and going under and over obstacles where possible. She kept her eyes and ears open and kept moving, only pausing when she reached the final stretch to take stock of her surroundings. She still saw no one, so she moved out from between the two homes and headed for the wall surrounding her estate, heading for the back entrance.

There was a hole in the wall nearest her room that had gone without repair for some time, covered by creeping plants. She slipped through it and paused in the shadow of the wall, searching for signs of any workers that might have gotten an early start to their day.

visualspice

She was weaving so much even he was having trouble following her, but he wanted to deter the pesky shadows from following them- so he made a leap of faith, or rather a climb, and kept the roof top, even slunk inside a few buildings before taking a careful note to which place was hers. She sure made him go through the run around, but at least she was being smart.

Too bad she wasn't being smart enough, for by the time she'd get to her room, he had already made himself comfortable upon her bed as he stretched out, one boot crossed over the other, hands resting behind his head as he stared up at the ceiling, one of her frilly lace pillows laying on his chest.

"Nice place you got here," he would say, you know, when she'd eventually get into her room. He stared idly at his finger nails. Damn. There was some dirt in them, and probably dirt on his boots as well. Though those he normally kept clean, so perhaps her bedding would be spared.

Rhindeer

With her wounded arm and a new set of bruises, it was a miserable climb back up into her room, and by the time she got there, she was beat. She pushed the window open and practically flopped over the edge, landing in a graceless heap on her floor. With a grunt, she picked herself up.

And that was when she heard his voice.

She jumped, her back thumping against the wall, and clapped a hand over her mouth to keep from shouting and waking the estate. She hadn't noticed him at first with her room all dark, but there he was, the "Lone Wolf" from earlier, lounging on her bed.

Heart beating wildly, she grabbed for her sword. "What're you doing?!" she snapped, voice a little higher than intended in rising panic. Dear sweet Kia, there was so much that was wrong with this picture! "Get. Out."

visualspice

He rolled over onto his side and gave her a smirk.
"What, so the wolves can find you?" he asked, then sat up, the lacy pillow falling onto his lap as his green eyes began to roam about her room.
"I expected more... birds," he said, a thumb brushing against the side of his chin in thought.

Rhindeer

Owl shook her head vigorously and began to pace in front of the window. "No, no, no, oh no, you really gotta go. You have to go like...now. Like yesterday. Like...now now! And talk quieter!"

She shot a panicked look toward her door, then at the sky outside, and then back to him. "Seriously, leave. Or...or, uh...I'll scream. And, uh, I'll say you attacked me." Which left the problem of her outfit, but her brain hadn't quite caught up to that issue yet.

"And put that back!" she hissed, pointing to the pillow.

visualspice

Jarrett blinked. But when he glanced down, the lace pillow fell off of his lap, landing with a soft thump on the ground.
He bent over to pick it up, dusted it off then set it back onto the bed before glancing over at her, staring at her expectantly, but saying nothing as he gave a curious tilt of his head.
"Your mask is uneven," he said, pointing to his own face to show her where. "It's hanging a bit more left than right."

Rhindeer

Owl had been about to say more, but Jarrett threw her off. She sucked in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Oh. Uh, thanks." Blinking, she reached up to feel at her mask, then lightly adjusted it. Then she frowned at him, eyes narrowing.

"Don't change the subject."

visualspice

Jarrett continued to look at her, saying nothing before he tilted his head.
"I think your feather is crooked, too." And he gestured to one that was slightly bent on the right side of it.

Rhindeer

Owl grit her teeth and made a muffled, frustrated sound. She started toward him. "If you don't leave, so help me, I'll throw you out the window."