Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Racing Against the Moon

Started by visualspice, June 26, 2013, 04:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This thread takes place after this one.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Meet me by the seaside town of Cerenis before the full moon if you want your child back alive. We'll speak of our demands then. And come alone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

That was all the note had said. Aside from that, the day had started like any other day. The weather was warm, the sky, casting the world in a golden glow, and it seemed just about everyone was smiling. It was that time of year for Dylanna Swinden to head back out to sea to make more foreign purchases and to solidify those alliances on trade. She had already sent men ahead to prepare the ship, and made the arrangements to have her manor here taken care of in her absence.

But none of that mattered now, as she found herself staring down, wide eyed and open mouthed at the scrap of paper the words had been scribbled upon.
Her son..
Her son had been kidnapped.

And it was only in a single piece of paper that held the words of her greatest known fear, and the truth that it was real.
He was taken.
Gone.

She had come home from her day of political banter as normal; a necessity at the game she had to play as a merchant. So when she came home to a completely empty house; no laughter, not a servant, not even the barking yips of the new pup... chills ran through her blood like ice. And upon finding and reading the piece of paper, she dropped to her knees ad began to sob.

She had to get him back..
She had to get to Cerenis.

~~~~~
"Miss Swinden, might I remind you, your island acquaintances might become upset if you delay this meeting any further. They know you have a life and business to run in Arca, but the letters have already been forwarded to them, your ship already ready to sail.."

"Yes, well my plans have been changed," Dylanna told him flatly, her green eyes broiling at his words. Her visor fumbled in his musings, and sighed with a shake of his head, fat fingers now curling around the list as he adjusted his spectacles to continue, but Dylanna stopped him, a hand gripping over the list.

"Just inform them of my sincerest apologies andthat my visit will merely be delayed, not cancelled. ANd hopefully for no less than a few weeks."

"Less than a few weeks!?" the man found himself sputtering over his own breath as his eyes went large as he stared after her. "And where, praytell, do you think you are going anyways? Some sort of mid-life vacation or-"

Dylanna turned to him, steeling her emotions and merely snapped, "I'd hardly call this a vacation. And my trip is of no concern to you. I can update you when I've returned to Arca." And she stepped into her carriage, the door slamming shut before she peered out and forced a smile to Goeffry, her visor, and patted him lightly upon the hand.

"Do not worry yourself, we have good relations with the islanders. And I'll be back long after the full moon!" And Dylanna waved him off and gestured to her valet. At her orders, he snapped the reins for the horses and the carriage lurched forward, barely making it halfway across town when her carriage came to a halt.  Frowning, Dylanna peered forward.

"What's the matter? Why aren't we going?"

And her valet turned back to her, his face white as a ghost.
"There seems to be a fire m'am, and.. and a fight!"

Dylanna furrowed her brow. "What do you mean a -" and before she could even glance out the window, an arrow came sailing directly beside the carriage as her eyes widened, breath catching within her throat. And soon the smells of smoke were overwhelming her, and she tried calling up to her valet.. "Percy, Percy, please do find a way to go around it-"

but then an arrow sunk straight into his head, and the fight began to spill all around the cart, just as a dirty man grabbed onto the side of her passenger side door and grinned at her like the  devil himself. His body was soot black in dirt, as blood remained splattered across his face. And the only thing htat split the dirt was that smile, and even his rotting teeth were whiter htan his filthy flesh.

"Oh, well ain't you a pretty catch?" the man purred, and even as Dylanna reared back from the open window, she coudl still smell the man's putrid, drunken breath.

Dylanna furrowed her brow. "What is the meaning of this? What do you think you are doing?"

"What do you mean what do I think? Just paying back the Soot Wolves a little ten fold, to let them know that we're marking this territory, and as far as I know, you've been off limits to them; and now I see why." His eyes roamed over her body as Dylanna grit her teeth. "Come along with me precious, lest you want to end up in pieces," he said, drawing out a bloodied blade, then gestured to his men and they all formed a wall around her.

"This turf's going to take a new claim. The Soot Wolves are history, they'll have nothing against the Mountain cats."

"Gods, what the hell do I care about some street war?" Dylanna spat, already growing impatient with this, and before the man knew it, she socked him hard across the face. and he stood there a second, blinking  in surprise, then laughing at her reaction, before Dylanna moved forward, throwing the door open, and bashing him in the side.
She only had a few seconds before the other men would be upon her as she reached for her sword at her hip, only to find another already pointed at her face.

"Drop the blade, or I cut off your clothes,"t he man threatened crudely, laughing through his teeth. His beard appeared almost as if in wisps of smoke about his face, and his eyes, as pale green as the ocean as he looked down upon her. "And don't think I don't mean it. I've got a pack of hungry cats who would just love to get their dirty paws on such a lovely lady. Now.." he gestured, his expression growing more serious, even as his cheeks remaine da ripe, rosey red. "Keep your hands where I can see them."

But the dirty look Dylanna was giving him only made the man chuckle, that was, until she spat in his face, and while he was off guard, she smacked his blade away, though the man was quick to parry, and sooon she found herself dancing, sword to sword, across the fiery streets.

"Ah, pretty good swordsman ship," the man said with a wry grin, but pushed forward, with a force that felt like the man must've been built with iron, as Dylanna gasped, and receded back against another powerful swing that struck her across the shoulder, tearing open that side of her garb.

"Ah, Miss Swinden," he said, tsking, which also made it look as if he were wriggling his mutton chops. "It looks like i've marked not only your clothes, but your skin as well.. perhaps I'll strike a little less harshly next time?"

Dylanna felt her blood broil at his claims, and tore her sword off and against his, before strikin at him again and again, only to find herself with another sharp slash to her opposing shoulder, with a cut far deeper, and a mark much larger.

"Oh.. is that blood?" the man asked, toyingly.

Dylanna bared her teeth. "I haven't the time for this," and smacked his sword away, iron sparking to iron before she kicked him away, only to find his blade slashing across her skirt, ripping a nice big gash clean up the side of her thigh and hip, and she found her dress now hanging half off, and blood stung out from her wounds.

Gritting her teeth, she still remained on the defensive as she squared her shoulders off against the man, all the while his 'cat pack' began to loom in ever closer to the fight.

"Now, now, now, lovely, drop the sword lest you want me to cut you down the middle." he said, eyes dancing, and Dylanna felt herself tense and broil over his words, even as her breasts heaved against the sharp sword that was now resting in between them.

"What do you want?" she growled, and the man chuckled.

"Oh, didn't you get the note?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

Cats! Bloody cats! Damn them. They had been a minor annoyance. Nothing really to fret over. They had a few little tussles, but nothing remotely serious. Why take a small gang seriously when his Wolves ran every major deal and scheme in and around Arca. They were even planning on expanding throughout all of Kia's Court and hopefully soon after to the surrounding provinces. Rufus and Ryk both, were especially interested in Summervale and Whitesands. But now this. A street war, and totally unexpected. It seemed every one of those damn feline rogues were in the street causing havoc. His Wolves knew how to handle themselves, and as soon as he got word, he sent a guild wide call to arms. They were weapons free to kill every mangy cat they could get their teeth into.

He had killed three of the foolish cats himself already, and was converging on the site of the major activity when a Shadow Wolf brought him news that this was all smoke. The Cats had a target. Dylanna Swinden. Damn it. Perhaps staying away from her and her deals had been safer for him, but it seems it was not safer for her. With enough time and observation, a dark organization like his, or the Mountain Cats, would draw the conclusion that Dylanna was somehow connected to the Soot Wolves. Well he swallowed the surge of emotion he felt at her being in danger, and his anger at his own foolish mistake.

"I want every Cat dead. Every wolf is to stop whatever jobs and plans they are working on and hunt them down. I want them wiped out. Wiped out YESTERDAY! Spread the word." Rufus was barely able to contain his anger. The Shadow Wolf was a bit put off, Rufus was hardly ever seen with any emotion, especially not anger. After a stunned moment the Shadow Wolf sped off to complete the assigned task.

Not long after the Red Wolf and the two score Wolves he had brought with him were converging on the carriage under siege. The Valet was dead and several of the cats were taunting the bloodied Dylanna Swinden. A quick whistle and a few hand signals had his Wolves taking up their individual roles. Crossbows fired, daggers were thrown, and cats in the area dropped to the ground. Seemed they didn't always land on their feet. Rufus had brought a few Blood Wolves, hand picked by Zahi for this mission, and they were quickly engaging the men that had surrounded Lady Swinden. Rufus did an acrobatic flip, with lots of flare, off the top of the carriage, landing between Dylanna and the lead assailant.

"It seems you little kittens don't understand they size of my pack," Rufus taunted the leader, "we're the Soot Wolves, and Arca is ours. You could have conducted quiet business and been overlooked, or even have made a partnership or joined up with us. But instead you chose hostility," The Red Wolf sneered and spit at the mans feet, "now you have drawn the ire of the Alpha Wolf. I AM THE RED WOLF AND I DECLARE ALL CATS LIVES FORFEIT!" With his shout the forty wolves he brought, plus the others that were there ahead of them, all let out howls. The Cats were outnumbered, three to one, and fighting didn't last long. His own fight took the longest as he always insisted nobody interfere.

He used a technique that he had shown his new adversary Owl, just a week or so ago. A toed stone flying at his opponent followed by a throwing dagger. But Canis Rufus knew this opponent was more adept at fighting and followed that first dagger with three more. The flurry of blades flying at him right after all the howls had unsettled him, caused the Cat to be a bit off his guard, but he was experienced. The stone bounced off his shoulder as he didn't even attempt to deflect it. He dodged the first dagger and knocked the next two away, but he wasn't fast enough to totally escape the last one, and it drew a deep slash across his left cheek. Short sword and long knife in hand, Rufus was right in the mans face, blades dancing up and down the mans rapier.

Such speed and skill with his narrow blade. Nobody he'd ever fought handled their rapier with such skill. Not since his mentor Defalcat, in Zantaric. Defalcat! How could it be? He stabbed him in the back and left him for dead. It couldn't be possible. But it was, he recognized those eyes, and that scar across his brow. He was even filthier than he had been when Theo was tagging along to learn the trade. Defalcat called it cat burgling. The parallels were so childish, you'd think some play write came up with it. The quick instant of realization, of recognition, was just enough distraction to allow Defalcat a moment to score a hit. The slash across his left forearm was deep, and almost enough to make him drop his long knife. Defalcat obviously noticed the sleight advantage, and pressed it. Rufus was on the defensive, gritting his teeth against the onslaught. Parrying quickly and stepping back away from Defalcat. That's when he got an idea. A good distraction.

"I think your hands were faster when you were wearing these gloves Master Def," Rufus followed the words with his signature half grin. Defalcat had that quick moment of realization himself, and Rufus knowing it was going to happen, was ready to take advantage of it. An underhand swing with his long knife knocked the rapier wide, and he thrust his short sword into Defalcat's gut.

"I've never had the pleasure of killing a man twice." Rufus slowly lowered his old mentor to the ground, kicking away the rapier. He looked into his eyes, and just as he was falling unconcious from shock, he mouthed one word.

"Theo?"

Rufus turned to the nearest Wolf, ignoring the just rescued Dylanna Swinden. "My sword stays in him, but someone give him a potion to keep him alive. And I want Chora here as soon as she can be. I have questions for this cat, and she'll need to keep him alive with the blade in place."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

visualspice

It was a good thing she was ignored, too; for all of the fanfare and blood and bodies spilled, she hadn't the time for this. Not yesterday, not today. She had to get to Samuel, and the moment she noticed all eyes glued upon their leader, she tore away, grabbing onto one of the horses still chained to it's reins and began to desperately unlatch it..

It was only then she realized the pack of wolves began to look her way, and her eyes glanced all around them, wondering why, as she hesitated at the unlatchings, why not a single one lifted a blade or weapon her way. Not that she cared. Perhaps she'd look into it later, for now...
She grunted, and the horse was free, but she had a hard time keeping the horse steady. It was terrified and wanted to flee.

OOC: Sorry it's short but yeah XD might not have time to post again until tomorrow so just doin a few quick posts this morning :T
and I like the touch the one dude Theo knows XD nice
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

"I don't think it's wise for you to be rushing off so quickly," Rufus said, turning to the Lady Swinden. "The cut on your leg looks especially painful, and your clothing is barely hanging on." He stepped up to her and calmly grabbed hold of the horses throatlash and turned its head to him. With a few shushing sounds, a soothing touch from his hand, and a strong steady gaze, he had the horse calm. A quick signal with his hands and a Wolf was running up to hand him two health potions. Without words he demonstrated, holding out his arm so Dylanna could see the gash he drank the potion. The flesh knitted itself back together in moments, and didn't even have the pale color of new skin. He held the other potion out for her.

"You should stick around Lady Swinden. When I interrogate this little kitten, he will not have any secrets. It could prove valuable to you."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Dylanna stared coldly at the potion, even after watching the miracle of it's effects. She didn't trust bandits, (especially such filthy ones); and even more so those that dare use her proper name, as if they knew her. It grated on her nerves, amongst other things, as she gripped onto the horse's throatlash, practically tearing it from his hands.

"Please, I haven't the time for more games!" she growled, but then upon hearing his words, she stopped and looked down at the man on the ground and her lips open, moving with hesitation as if to speak, but then she set her jaw, looking back up into Rufus's eyes. Her eyes were wild and fearful, so torn between finding more answers from this man who had muttered something in regards to his connections to the terrible letter she had received; and to just rushing off as fast as she could to Cerenis.

But setting her jaw, she found her eyes hardening, though the faint glimmer of determination, the fire within her to find her son pulling her through as she asked, "And if I go with you, can I be promised it will be quick and I would be safe? I can't even spare an hour on that low life. I'd rather wish him dead." But even she wanted answers so terribly, and hoped to god she wasn't showing as much fear as she was feeling to be surrounded by so many bandits, the flames still roaring all around them.

But then she laughed at herself and turned away, "What am I talking about- all you bandits are the same! Why should I trust you more than the dying man on the cobblestone? I.. " and here she hesitated, the fear returning to her eyes, the desperation, before she found her hardness again just as she turned her gaze back to Rufus, keeping a firm hand on the horse and her blade. "I haven't the time for this, or even had the time what just happened but a moment ago. I have to be out of the city before-"  then she recalled the letter and her tongue went still.

She had to go alone. She couldn't tell anyone what was going on..
but to stick around for the interrogation. She chewed into her lower lip, chewed and swallowed back her words before narrowing her gaze upon him.
"How swiftly can you interrogate?" It would be nice to fight fire with fire against these men...
but would it be worth it? Shouldn't she just be rushing off to rescue her son..
Gods... Samuel..

But for now, she steeled herself, playing the role she had always been used to in front of such tough men; and she was not about to let some other bandit step int he way.
"And if you try to do this to mock me, to trick me.." and she raised her blade, pointing it directly at him. "I swear to God, not even hell itself will keep me from spilling your blood onto these streets cause I will gut you from your throat to your balls."
And she meant it- The Gods knew she did.

Aeytrious

The thoughts that ran through his mind were so very complicated, and attached to too many identities. This woman. This woman that made him feel. That made him consider that word he scoffed at and spat upon. That foul word. Love. What was he to do with this woman? Here she was, ragged and bleeding. Put in danger because he had kept her safe. And now she was threatening him. What was he to do? Leaving her free from the interference of the Wolves had probably helped make her as successful as she was. Otherwise many deals would have been blocked or sullied by the dark underworld of Arca. And Gods she was beautiful. Even bloodied and ragged it seemed Mother Kia had blessed her with eternal spring time. She was so strong, standing there, clutching that blade threateningly. He knew how much cuts like that hurt. And she was losing a lot of blood. If she did not drink the potion she would surely pass out. He wouldn't let her die, but she should drink the damned potion. And Gods she really was beautiful. Fyarion could swoop down to carry him away and Rufus wouldn't notice, so distracted by those green eyes of hers.

"And if you try to do this to mock me, to trick me.." and she raised her blade, pointing it directly at him. "I swear to God, not even hell itself will keep me from spilling your blood onto these streets 'cause I will gut you from your throat to your balls." He could tell that she truly meant it, but the statement was ridiculous, and quite hilarious.

"Ha ha ha ha ha! Lady Dylanna, if I wanted to mock you or trick you, you would not know it was happening. I could take everything from you and you would not be able to resist me. I am THE Red Wolf. I RULE Arca from the shadows," Rufus sneered at the Lady Swinden, "The only reason you hold any power in this city is that I owe your late father the greatest debt I've ever owed a man. As long as I rule the Soot Wolves, his legacy is safe. You, and your little son Sam, are safe," he leered at her lustfully then, "strike me down and you will no longer have my protection. Not that you could. There are few in this city that can handle a blade better than I, and I'd kill them from the shadows rather than face them."

He gently pushed her blade aside and offered the potion to her again. "Why are you in such a rush anyhow? You are clearly safe now, and if you don't stop the bleeding soon, you won't have enough blood to stay awake. As for how quickly I can interrogate, you'll see me work quite a miracle in that area. When a body is magically healing around a blade that continues to be turned in the wound, a person usually is quick to give up all their secrets. Now drink the potion Dylan, or do I have to wait for you to faint and then make your unconscious form choke it down?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Dylanna's eyes narrowed poisonously upon him, not daring to drop her blade.
"Do not speak to me as if you know me," she sneered. "You can address me as Miss Swinden." And the words came out in a bit of a hiss, and those green eyes narrowed even sharper.
"Those men have stolen something very important to me," she informed him, but she wasn't goign to say what, but the dangerous look in her eyes might have given it away. "And I would kill you and all of your wolves to get it back." Then to his chest, she pointed her sword, directly at his heart, her eyes glancing down at the potion, then up into his eyes. "I'd rather drink your spit than trust the likes of you and your potions." SHe knew what men like him did, and the look he was giving to her only confirmed it.

"Stand aside. You can interrogate that man on your own. I need to get to Cerenis."
To her, the cuts would heal, in time.. she could look at them properly later. The last thing she wanted was help from him. And what on earth was he going on about protection? As if she'd believe him. Even if some 'mountain cat' had spat out the same. What were they going on about anyways?  And besides, he had no powers over her, she was a mother desperate to have her son back....
Yes.. if she had to..s he'd kill this damn wolf, too, and the look in her eyes was laced with promise, her fingers and knuckles white as they gripped tightly about her sword.

"Now, out of my way before you become as red as your name. Anyone that trifles with me on this day will be killed."

Aeytrious

Oh Kia, give me patience.

Rufus knew this attitude. There was no reasoning with Lanna when she was in this kind of mood. He quickly stowed the potion in his belt, and then with lightning speed drew his long knife into his right hand and a hidden dagger into his left. He knocked her sword out wide with numbing force and closed the gap between them all in one smooth movement. At the first sign of his actions, no less than three wolves had trained there crossbows on the Lady Swinden. Long knife to her throat, his face an inch from hers he spoke calmly, but with just barely evident frustration in his voice. His bright blue eyes pierced into her soul as he made the situation clear.

"Obviously you are not well versed in anatomy. You are losing blood quickly from that wound in your leg. If I let you leave you will be dead in minutes, and your son will be orphaned. Without you around I'll still be sure to protect him, but the direction of his education will not be one you would choose. Now drink the damn potion woman, before I force it down your throat."

He took a step back from her and signaled to his Wolves. They stepped up and took her sword, no need to let her try and fight in that condition. She probably would try to anyway, though she most likely wouldn't be able to stand much longer. Her elevated heart rate was pumping her blood out quickly. He returned his weapons to their places and tossed the potion to the nearest wolf, who immediately held it out for her to take. Just then Chora made her appearance on the scene.

"I hope you've recovered enough since Torak," Rufus said to the healer, walking toward her, "I have a feeling this one is going to require a bit more."

"I feared as much," Chora said, looking tired just at the thought of this work, "lets get started then." Today Chora drank six potions in quick succession. Red, blue, green, purple, gold, then white, they went down fast and a glow began to emanate from her as usual, today it was bright pink. She took up her stance, feet spread, head bowed, arms extended toward Defalcat, palms facing out. She began to mutter her magic incantation and the sea foam green glow started in her hands, then shot in a beam, connecting her to the impaled Mountain Cat. With the healing energy coursing through Defalcat, all his cuts, and bruises healed. An infection was burned away, the rot in his teeth and gums vanished, old injuries disappeared, and the pain he carried in his back from where the young Theo had stabbed him, was no longer there. He woke to the excruciating pain of his body healing around the blade in his gut. Rufus kneeled at his side and gripped the blade, then twisted it in the wound. As the rogue finished screaming Rufus spoke to him.

"I have some questions for you, but the Lady Swinden is in a hurry, so you will answer hers first. You will give short, clear, specific answers. You will not deviate from what's asked, you will not taunt, or speak in riddles. You will give her whatever details she asks," Rufus twisted the blade hard and Defalcat cried out in pain again, "do you understand?"

"Y-y-yes," Defalcat said through clenched teeth.

"Good," Rufus then turned in the Lady Swinden's direction, "have you gotten yourself under enough control for an interrogation Lady Dylanna? This little kitten awaits your questions."

(OOC: I'll Make a Man Out of You has been stuck in my head all day. It was even in my dreams. Thanks for that Spicy! :P)
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

OOC: BWAHAHAHAHAHA
*success*
-----------------------

Dylanna was taken off guard and disarmed within seconds, her eyes wide as she looked back at the filthy wolf who was but inches from her face. Then her eyes narrowed, jaw hardening as she looked from him, then to the men positioned all around her before returning those green eyes back to him.
Once he stepped away, she gave him an even dirtier look and snatched the damn potion from one of the men nearby, and downed it in three swift gulps.

She made a face, it was terribly bitter, but the potion took effect immediately as she gasped, doubling over (and nearly ripping more of her clothes in the process) before she caught herself, hands to her knees as she watched in mild fascination as the wounds began to seal together, flesh seeming to melt together, mending, as if turning into threads that seamed together, and appeared as if there hadn't even had been a wound at all. Though the stains of her blood on her clothing and skin remained, not a single scar had been set.

Her eyes darted quickly over to Rufus, then over to Chora who was performing the ritual, then down to the snake of a man who had just threatened her... and might have some clues for the location of her son. She wasted no time approaching, holding her breath a moment as she watched in fascination, though disturbingly so, as the man was healed, but a sword was kept through his gut.

It was only after a time when both Rufus and Defalcat went silent that she realized it was her turn, and her eyes turned deadly as she stood over him.  If looks could kill, Defalcat would be dead, ten times over. So she set her jaw and spoke carefully between her teeth, realizing, through a dizzying rush, she hadn't much time to save her son.

"Where is he,"s he growled, feeling herself internally shake as she clenched her hands into fists, needing to steel herself a moment lest she give into this blinding rage. "Tell me everything that you know, or I'd be more than happy to let this filthy wolf keep you this way, forever."

But despite his pain, Defalcat simply laughed, and Dylanna was taken back by this, not expecting it as rage drove her forward as she slugged the cat hard across his face.
"You will tell me or suffer the consequences far greater than this! NOW TELL ME WHERE MY SON IS AND WHY YOU ARE DOING THIS, WHO IS BEHIND THIS ALL, AND YOU WILL TELL ME NOW!!"

Aeytrious

Canis Rufus barely contained his shock. He felt like he was just kicked in the gut by a horse. The mask almost slipped, the Ryk persona underneath pushed at the surface more fiercely than usual. Sam. Oh Kia, why? Not the boy. He was so young, and innocent, and quite adorable. No wonder Lanna was on a war path. Had his son been taken he would have left a pile of corpses that blocked out the sun. He was seething inside. This could not be happening. He kept the wolves away to keep her safe. She had only just come back into Ryk's life. Ryk had only just met Sam, and had sworn to himself that the boy would be spared tragedy. These Mountain Cats would pay dearly. They would all be hunted and exterminated. If they had claim in any other cities, the wolves would be heading there to snuff them out. This war would be one that the underworld of Serendipity would never forget. Perhaps it was time to build his empire. That was a good long term goal to work on. But that wouldn't help Sam now. He had to do something, he couldn't sit by and do nothing, but cautiously. He used hand talk to signal for messages to go out that the every cat still alive was to be interrogated for information on Samuel Swinden's abduction. He would do whatever it took to get the boy back safely. Then the Cats would be crushed.

Defalcat's laughing angered Rufus greatly, and the other emotions roiling under the surface were fueling to the fire. Out came four daggers in quick succession, digging deep into the tortured Cat's hands and feet. Then Rufus drew out his long knife and used it to slit Defalcats throat from ear to ear. As the knife parted Defalcat's flesh, Chora's healing energy sealed the wound just as the blade passed. Defalcat was screaming, until his vocal chords were sliced, then he was silent, until they stitched back together and the scream continued. Rufus finished the throat cutting motion with a quick slice that removed his victims ear. While the wound healed nearly instantly, the ear was still gone.

"As you can see Mountain Cat, the healing power Chora is using on you will keep you aliv no matter what I do to you," Rufus tossed the severed ear on the mans chest, "but it doesn't grow back anything you lose. So answer the woman's question," Rufus put the tip of his knife sharply against Defalcat's crotch, "unless you want to be singing falsetto."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

The display of torture was too much for her to handle, and Dylanna found herself pushing away from the area. As much as she wanted information about her son, she could no longer contain her lunch and found herself retching in the corner. ANd then she began to shake, from weakness and from rage.
GODS BE DAMNED! She needed to get her son back. Was this the only way!?

And she heard Defalcat's laughter again, and felt the rage return within her. And as she moved to rise, something caught her ear, and her lips fell open in surprise.

"Cut me all you want, runt wolf," Defalcat growled. "I know better than to give in to you. You'll simply kill me once you get your answers, and I know you can't keep this up forever." His laughing continued and Dylanna found herself storming back to Rufus's side. Her eyes were burning like twin hells.

"You will answer me! You will tell me where they have taken my son!"

And again, the man laughed. "But you already know!" and his eyes shined darkly and he spoke but one word, one name.. the name of the city... "Cerenis," he spoke, then found himself howling out in pain as Dylanna sunk one of her own daggers into his balls and twisted it in.

Then away from him she ran, her eyes consumed in tears as she pushed her way through the wolves and to her carriage. No.. she had wasted too much time here. She had to move. She had to get to her son! She had only three moons!

Aeytrious

Rufus let her go and signaled the Wolf with Dylanna's sword to return it to her. He pulled all the blades out of Defalcat and returned them to their proper places. The man was restrained and Chora stopped healing him. She looked absolutely drained, and a Blood Wolf helped support her as she walked back toward the Den. Defalcat was in tow as well, he would be interrogated for days if that's what it took to get everything out of him. Rufus planned on even calling in a psionicist to assist in tearing information from his mind. And the Cat was correct, once they had there info, Theo would cut off the mans head, since a blade in the back hadn't worked last time.

Things were going to change now. Rufus immediately gave orders that the Swinden estate was to be constantly watched. Everyone going in and out would be identified, and the Wolves would have a file on them. None of the servants would have a secret in their past. He would have to find a way to get a few Wolves onto the staff. Her deals would not be interfered with, but they would be monitored. Getting Wolves on her ships would be easier. He might even be able to buy off a few Captains. He would intertwine with her life as much as possible. Perhaps he could make use of her honest deals without sullying them. Something to consider.

For now he headed to the closest access to the Den. Rufus was rushing to make sure he could keep up with Lanna. He had runners dispatched to prepare horses. He sent word out to the Dun Wolves to prepare the Warrens. He would need to cross toward Cerenis with great haste. Birds would be sent to contacts there. The word would be spread to every Wolf out there. Some would wonder why, would have doubts, but nobody questioned the unending positive result of The Red Wolf's orders. Sam would be located in a day, perhaps two, and there would be packs of wolves in Cerenis to rescue him if that was what Rufus decided was best. If there were no major organizations moving in Cerenis, perhaps he could take over there now. Might be good to get a foothold on the territory. Ryk already had a few deals out of there. He prefered the Summervale ports for his shipping, but Cerenis would be a good springboard for the Wolves to take Whitesands.

Passing through the Den to his quarters, he could see that the whole place was bustling with activity. There were many captured Cats being brought in. Some were surprisingly young. That troubled him a bit. Children could be great thieves, but he didn't like the idea of making them soldiers. He went straight for the hidden panel in the wall behind his dressing screen as soon as he was in his room, door locked behind him. He grabbed a large pouch of his finest jewels, and a bigger one of gold coins. He was going to be prepared to bribe and buy off anyone he needed to. He returned the magic lock to its place and sealed the panel. He swapped his mundane weapons for the magical ones he kept stowed under a floor board, donned a pair of magic bracers, and he was ready for action.

He would get to Cerenis as fast as he could travel. He would protect Dylanna, and save Sam. He would make the Mountain Cats pay.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Dylanna was surprised to get her sword back, and by the complacency of the wolves, and as she was wiping away at her tears as she grabbed at her things inside her carriage and began to load whatever she could on horse back. She didn't have time to secure another valet, and took off down the cobblestone path of the city, her horse rushing through the town and tearing out of it, as if escaping from Hell itself. And she pressed her boot's heavily into the beast's side as it tore down the dirt path and through the forested road.

For now, she had but one thing on her mind...
Saving Sam.
Gods, if those men had done something to him...

Racing down the path faster than lightning, she continued to press the beast onwards. There would be no time for rest, no time for sleep, even as the day rolled on and storm clouds threatened over head. Though the storm was minor, when the rains came pouring down, they came down in cold sheets that soaked her to the bone. Even through the cloak she was still wearing. But onwards she still pressed, refusing to stop, only to rest the horse and get herself a bite to eat, but soon she was nearing the Seaside town of Cerenis, appearing all but disheveled, but making record time. She still had one more moon...
but night was quickly approaching as evening shadows stretched across the lands.

Samuel.. Samuel.. Samuel...
It was the single driving force that kept her moving onward, even as she was shaking inwardly from lack of proper food and rest. But she had to start looking around for clues. What had the letter said?
Pausing outside of the murmuring noise of a bustling tavern, she reached into her leather satchel and drew out the letter again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Meet me by the seaside town of Cerenis before the full moon if you want your child back alive. We'll speak of our demands then. And come alone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sighing, Dylanna folded back up the letter and ran a hand through her messy, dark hair. She looked around, her frown deepening. Of course there would be no clues. Well, it was best to start looking, and she had a hunch she might find clues at docks. Pulling on the horse's lead, she lead the creature behind her as she made her way through the city, all the while her eyes were ever wary of her surroundings, every moving shadow or alley cat having her spooked.
Gods, she was a mess of nerves.
But Samuel... Gods, please...
Let him be ok.

Aeytrious

Canis Rufus, The Red Wolf, discarded the last of the red rind of the mangosteen he was eating, as he dismounted from his horse. Spitting out a final seed, he signaled for the seven wolves, that had accompanied him, to follow close. Using paths and tunnels he was directed to by the Dun Wolves, Rufus had made record time on his trip to Cerenis. Having fresh mounts to swap out at key points had been especially helpful as well. It was early morning on the day Dylanna was to meet the kidnappers, and though Rufus did not know that, he would still be working as fast as he could. Eating while riding had saved time, using potions to energize them in substitution of sleep even more so. But the body couldn't last long under such conditions, and it would take its toll if they didn't get proper food and rest soon. The eight of them entered town, leading their horses down the roads as stall vendors were setting up, and early morning shoppers were coming onto the streets.

"Marlo, you said you have a contact at the docks," Rufus said to an especially wiry Shadow Wolf, "I want you to head there now. Leave your horse with us, we'll be staying at the Ragged Mare." Marlo dashed down an alley toward the docks after handing his reins to Tegan, one of the Blood Wolves personally selected by Zahi for this mission.

"Fin, I want you to meet with the smuggler you know that ships through Selevea. See if he was able to learn anything in the days it took us to ride here." Finnegan, surprisingly lithe for his squat stature, handed his reins to Sandra, Tegan's blade sister, and barreled off down an alley opposite of the direction Marlo went.

"Geoff, I want you to ask around, nose out shady deals and underworld agents. Get whatever information you can from the local colors. Ulrich, you'll be his shadow as usual." Geoff and Ulrich were twins. Ulrich was nearly the best stealth artist the Shadow Wolves had and was an amazing shot with his hand crossbows. Geoff was a master sleuth, and could convince a fish into moving to the desert. Together they were a dangerous combination. They both handed their reins to Chuck, a large man, and a Blood Wolves weapon master, and then moved off down another street to begin their work.

Rufus and the three Blood Wolves continued on their way through the city toward The Ragged Mare, tavern and inn. They did not try to hide who they were, and while most common folk would not recognize them, the criminals of the city surely would. They were the most powerful gang in the largest city of Serendipity and the number of stories about the Soot Wolves were growing. Especially now that Rufus had made them so efficient and organized. When they arrived at the inn, the owner was waiting for them. Rufus had sent by pigeon that they would be arriving soon, and his word of his arrival to town had quickly found its way to the establishment. It was a common gathering place for the seedier members of society.

"Hallo Wolves," the owner, Paul, said as Rufus and his escort walked up, "my stableman Ned has stalls prepared for your horses, and the two rooms you asked for are ready." Rufus and Tegan gave the horses to Chuck and Sandra to handle, and the two of them moved inside. At a table inside sat the three leaders of the wolves he had sent here weeks before. Cecil for the Bloods, Dina for the Shadows, and Kiefer for the Scavengers. They knew Rufus was here to destroy the Mountain Cats and to save a kidnapped boy. They would have much of the information he needed. And what they didn't have, the Shadow Wolves he brought would surely retrieve. It would probably be a bloody day, but Rufus would not rest until he succeeded.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

By the time she had made it to the docks, she was surprised to find it relatively vacant. A few gulls cawed over head and the warm salty air greeted her as usual, but there wasn't even a single boat at the docks. At least, not on this side. It was strange, and as her eyes swept through the area, she caught sight of a few suspicious shadows, but when she went to investigate...
nothing was there.

Sighing frustratedly, she raked a hand through her hair and pressed onward, boots clacking against the wooden boards before she paused at the end of one dock and peered over at the ocean that bounced in cresting green waves. Perhaps she was too early? She could only hope so. But she didn't like the fact things were so quiet...

Aeytrious

Cecil, Dina, and Kiefer, had a lot of information on movements and tactics. In fact they had begun recruiting and moving into the city quite well. The Mountain Cats were the only gang resisting the presence of the Wolves. Apparently they were associated with some crazy storm witch. She was pushing the Cats to fight the Wolves, but it couldn't last long. The Wolves had resources that couldn't be matched by any gang that hadn't been around as long as them. In Serendipity, that equaled out to just about nobody. The wolves weren't clear on who exactly this storm witch was, but the few descriptions had a familiar ring to them. And that familiarity had Rufus getting tingles running up his back. Something was desperately wrong here. He could sense it. But what? Who was it? The last time Rufus had been to Cerenis was when- No, it couldn't be. Surely it couldn't be. Had the little guy been right? Had his moment of weakness come back to haunt him. "I know who it is. That BITCH!"

Rufus stood, knocking back his chair with the speed and force with which he moved. Just then the building front exploded inward. The Cats were here, they were attacking him, they had been waiting for his arrival. The fire from the explosion had the other Wolves diving behind the bar, but not Rufus. The fire seemed to bend around him as it flew in. He was sweating from the intense heat but the fire did not lick his skin. With Aestival and Hiemal somehow now in his hands, he dashed forward through the flames and smoke. His blades went to work quickly, even the Cats could not easily brave the flames, and cutting them down was not hard for the blade master. Tegan soon joined in and then Chuck and Sandra were rushing around the corner to attack. Sandra had a vicious wound down her left arm and Chuck was covered in blood, none of it his, so they must have been ambushed as well. Cecil and Dina were fairly quick to join in as well, and with the fierce power of his Wolves, the little kittens were quickly on the run.

As the fire died down and the corpses were looted, it was a bit suspicious that the city guard didn't show up. The wolves didn't have enough power to keep the guard at bay yet, so it must have had to do with the Mountain Cats. "Valeska Horst," Rufus said the name with vehemence, "she must be involved. I'll kill that bitch this time."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

There was a drop of cold water that landed on her nose. Blinking, she stared up at the dark clouds that began to roll in over head. Had it not been sunny but a moment ago? Then agian, her mind was hardly focused on the sky; and her heart was still hammering within her chest. Samuel.. she had to find Samuel, so as the rain waters began to come down rather quick, falling in heavy sheets blown wildly about in the on coming storm, it did not deter her from making her rounds along the dock, and by the time she made it to the other side of them, a quiet corner with not a single person in sight... she was soaked to the bone.

Yes, there was still no signs of whomever it was that wrote the letter, and she paused a moment to stand beneath an overpass and wiped the rain water off of her dripping nose and hands before pulling out the letter to read it again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sighing, she leaned back against the wall of the shack she had been standing beside, feeling completely helpless and vulnerable. And she might have even cried a little, her heart torn in so many places over her son's kidnapping that it took her a moment to find herself again before she folded the paper up and returned it to the inner breast pocket of her jacket. Then, drawing in a breath, she steeled herself and stepped back out onto the docks, her eyes sweeping around for a sign of something, anything...

And it was then she noticed a body floating out in the water. Blinking, she furrowed her brow and stepped cautiously towards the end of the slick dock. It was then she noticed the body was freshly killed, blood spread into the rain-pocked waters like red-ink...
but it wasn't the dead body that startled her, but the fact she saw a note was tacked onto his back.

"By the Gods.."s he clutched at her chest and bent down on one knee, noticing that the letter was folded over, and the side that was shown towards her, soaking in the rain, had dripping inked letters now erasing away from the falling rain.. but still she could read it...
And it had her name, lightly scripted across it the front.

Surprised, Dylanna drew in a sharp breath. Thinking quick, she bent down now and leaned now over from the dock, straining her reaching fingers out towards the body before finally being able to reach the thing as it floated nearer towards shore. She grabbed a fistful of the corpse's shirt and gave a heavy heave to pull it onto the dock beside her, and once the note was removed, and she, sitting beside the corpse; she opened it with shaking hands. ANd at the words written, a hand cupped a hand over her lips, tears coming to her eyes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I told you to come alone. But I see you brought a whole pack of wolves. We'll take this out into the ocean. I'll give you one more day to get to the island of O'vvend'aak before I slit your boy's throat.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tears fell onto the letter, melting some of the ink as it collected into tiny, salted bubbles upon it. She raised her head up, looking towards the blackened skies, then around, but still saw no one near her at the docks. And the rains were terrible, and she felt wretched, and had it not been for a familiar embroidered mark on the man's shirt laying beside her, she would have left the corpse alone. Her brows furrowed as she turned the man over and gasped...

It was Rick Hollendae; and ironically the only man that had been alive that knew the identity of Samuel's true father. She was quick to her feet, and backed away, eyes going ot the docks around her, to the shacks and sheds; vacant of people, but hanging, rusting supplies clattering in the stormy winds. Then she turned to the ocean. She felt eyes upon her, but could not see. What sort of cruel trickery was this? And why now, why to her?A nd why were the damn Soot Wolves involved!?
She felt her blood heat up and she wanted to scream, but instead, bit her bottom lip until she tasted blood.

"Gods..."s he stared down at the letter again. She only had one day to get her ship ready and set sail.... and to get to the damn island of O'vvend'aak.

Aeytrious

His six companions had suffered few wounds, the worst of which being the gash down Sandra's arm from when she blocked the stableman Ned's knife from going into Chuck's back. Kiefer had no wounds other than a bump on the head. The Inn keeper Paul, had struck him with a bottle when all the Wolves had dived behind the bar. Paul didn't survive the knife in his gut from Cecil. There were a few patrons laying about knocked out, but there hadn't been many to begin with and most ran off when the fighting started. The Wolves of course looted these poor unconscious people, but at least they left the clothes on their backs, and their blood in their veins. Everyone's wounds were tended, corpses were stripped of all clothing and valuables, and scalped in the usual Soot Wolves way. No use wasting hair that could be used for wigs. A nearby sewer grate was slid back and the twelve dead bodies were dropped in. Just then Geoff and Ulrich showed up.

"Kia! What happened?" Ulrich was clearly surprised. Chuck simply swept his arm out in a gesture simply meant to say 'Behold'.

The day had gotten away from them, and a storm was brewing in the distance. Clouds could just be seen rolling in on the docks. "Alright Wolves," Rufus said, addressing the eight present, "these Mountain Cats clearly mean business. I believe they are being led by Valeska Horst, an ex-Wolf," he paused for a moment before adding, "and ex-lover." Sandra let out an audible groan. "I know, I know. A woman scorned and all that. She broke the rules, and I showed mercy in sparing her life. Hoyle warned that I should have killed her, but I didn't. This will not likely be an easy fight." He paused again and looked around at the assembled group. "We all know that any of us could fall at any time. Even your fearless leader. Nobody has the strength and brains to run the Wolves as well as I. If that weren't true I'd already be dead. If things go bad, and I fall, someone must take back my badge to the Den. I am stating now who I back as the next Red Wolf. It will be controversial, and much blood will be spilled because of it. I back Zahi as the next Red Wolf, only she is strong enough a leader. And though she does not quite have my mind for running things, she will hold the guild together. Of course this means that Jack must fall, and likely Kui." The looks on the faces of his group ranged from Geoff's shock, to Chuck looking proud, and Keifer looking troubled. "If you will see to it my will is done there will be a power vacuum. With Jack and Kui gone, their places must be filled. The Matriarch is of no consequence to me. There may be others that could fill the place of the Beta, but if none rise to the challenge there is one that will thrive there. Zeina. She doesn't want to be the Red. But with her behind Zahi, the two will rule the guild expertly." It was Kiefer's turn to look proud. Everyone knew he had a thing for the Coyote. It was doubtful she'd ever give him the time of day.

As he finished his declaration, something he never thought he would truly have to do, Marlo ran up. The man was severely winded from running, and had a number of minor wounds. "There's trouble Rufus. The Mountain Cats are all stirred up, going crazy all through town. They don't outnumber us by much anymore, but they do." Marlo was clearly worried, but he continued to give his report, "my contact at the docks was dead, strung up in his office. They were waiting for me there. From the bit of news I gathered on my way back through Cerenis, a woman fitting the Lady Swinden's description was seen heading to the docks not long ago. When I fled there, there were no boats, no people, the Docks are deserted."

"Marlo, you've done good. Find a place to hide and wait for Fin." Rit clasped the Shadow on the shoulder and headed toward the stables. When he arrived he found that while they were fighting inside the horses had been killed. They would have to go on foot to the Docks. Hopefully they would make it in time.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

By the time the letter had been found, the skies quickly darkened and the entire world seemed to go black. Lightning struck over head, lighting up the docks and harsh winds blew the rain soaked hair from Dylanna's face. She looked around one last time to see if anyone was out there, frustration growing more powerful than the storm as she shouted, "What do you want from me!? Please!!!" Her voice carried intot he air, and then a crack of thunder silenced her. She grit her teeth.
"Please! I just want my son back! Where are you!? Are you out there!? I will give anything! Even my life!" she shouted.
Gods... Samuel...
And despite her desperate pleas, no one replied as she remained alone in the chaos of the storm, soaking, dripping wet.

Though after her shouts, the thunder and lightning seemed to calm, but the sea was still churning and crashing tall wave into the docks. Unseen eyes were watching her, unseen eyes waiting... If the Soot Wolves were to show now... the unseen woman wanted to play...

Tears came to Dylanna's eyes in frustration. She knew no one was there to answer, so she made quick work rushing to the other end of the dock now, hoping, praying that her ship that was docked there was still there and nothing had befallen it. And once she made it to the other side, she stared over, crest fallen...
Her ship was gone, and as her eyes raised to look out into the ocean, she saw just bits and pieces f the top of the mass beginning to bubble ad sink, before it became swallowed into the sea.

Aeytrious

Cerenis was not quite as large as Arca, but the streets were not as well planned out. Without knowing the sewer shortcuts or locations of the dead ends, Rufus and his companions were forced to remain on the surface. They were forced into a few small skirmishes, and in this rare case, did not stop to loot and scalp. They were going for speed over a great distance. The days of traveling without rest were beginning to wear on them. Luckily Rufus and Tegan got some scraps of bread when they met with the scion representatives, and those same representatives were with them now, and not worn thin. Along the way through the city, Rufus sent word of his demands. Cats were to be interrogated for information on Valeska Horst. Beyond that, there would be no quarter for the enemy. All Mountain Cats were to be executed once they were found to be of no use. If information on Valeska was found, it was to be brought to Rufus immediately. They also picked up a few more Wolves along the way, just in case there was any trouble at the docks. Rufus wasn't taking any chances.

Zahi's Bloods competed to see who would guard the Red, a place of honor. Sandra won the draw and ran along just behind Rufus. When a new messenger came, she slowed pace to give him room to deliver his report to Rufus as they ran, but stayed close. When they came around a corner, a cold blast of frigid air took them by surprise. With his quick reflexes and the aid of Hiemal, Rufus was able to roll and avoid the freezing blast. Sandra stopped just short and, the other Wolves followed suit. The young messenger was not so lucky. Frozen solid, the man toppled over and shattered into bloody chunks as he hit the ground. Rufus spared no time for being shocked or horrified at the death, or the loss of information that went with it. Two daggers were out of his sleeves in quick succession, and it was the mage that was shocked. A fireball, in his hand and ready to be thrown, instead detonated where it was, consuming the mage and his two companions in the blast. As the conflagration quickly spread, Sandra pulled Rufus to his feet, and he and his wolves changed their route, leaving the Mountain Cats behind to burn.

With several more near misses like that one quickly behind them, Chuck decided that it was time to put Rufus in the center of the group. "Zahi would likely ring our necks if you died Rufus. She's scary. When she's angry people die." Sandra and Tegan nodded ascent, and Rufus gave them an amused look. If Chuck feared Zahi enough to give an order to the Red Wolf, he was even more impressed.

"Very Well Chuck," Rufus said with a grin, "May we continue?"

With his pack now swarming around him in a protective bubble, Rufus was feeling a bit claustrophobic. He preferred to lead, but he would make due, and with the attractive Sandra now running just in front of him, the view was excellent. They were only a couple blocks from the docks now, with any luck Dylanna would still be there and safe. He was a bit worried as his Wolves fought off another roving band of Cats. And now it seemed the city guard had mounted an offensive. Cats and guards and Wolves were tearing each other apart, the three groups converging on this spot for one final battle. Rufus climbed up a nearby scaffolding to get a better view of the guard force. He was looking for a particular official.

The greatest achievement of his scions was news of the Captain of the Guard. Where most men in his position preferred to hide at the command station and send his orders from afar, he was fond of taking to the field himself, and directing his guards personally. They had also learned of his bad habits; gambling debts, frequent trips to the brothels, two bastard children with serving girls in his household. No mans reputation would survive if such things were publicly known. There he was, near the rear of the guards, but still in the fight. Rufus leaped down from the scaffold and drew his honor guard around him. They assumed a small wedge formation and made for the Guard Captain. Wolves that saw them coming cleared the way, and any enemies that blocked the way were slain. They rotated the point man as he became tired, or took on too many wounds. When it was Rufus's turn in the position, Sandra and Chuck stepped up. Chuck gave the Red Wolf a stern look. Sandra smacked Chuck on the rump, "Don't worry about Chuck sir," she said with a grin, "he can handle taking a second turn." Rufus let his turn pass, with only a laugh at the encounter.

When they reached the Guard Captain, his wolves were instructed to defend and disable, but not to slay. Chuck muscled forward and grabbed both of the mans arms, headbutted him, and pulled him back into the wedge. Rufus was there waiting. "I hope you didn't strike him too hard," Rufus said to his large body guard, "well it seems he's coming around. Hello there sir, I am Canis Rufus, the Red Wolf, leader of the Soot Wolves."

"I've heard of you, dog," the Guard Captain spit at Rufus's feet, and recieved a knee to the gut from Chuck.

"Now now sir. I only wish to have a courteous conversation with you. It seems my associates have discovered you have very bad habits. Well we bought your debts from your bookie, so now that fifteen thousand gold debt you owe, is to the Wolves," the mans face went grey and Rufus continued, "I also bought the three whore houses you frequent, and recruited the two street walkers you sometimes use into the Wolves as well." Now the mans face was deathly white, "and for my crowning achievement. The two serving girls in your household that have recently borne your bastard son and daughter have been contacted by the Wolves, and promised great sums of money if they agree to come forward when we ask it of them. They were eager to comply." The Guard Captain was now a pale green, and looked about to sick up.

Sandra leaned in and patted the man on the face. "You sure have been a busy boy," she said, "You have any action left for me?" She grabbed his crotch roughly and she and Tegan burst into laughter.

Rufus reached under his armor and retrieved a folded document, "this, sir, is a contract of employment. When you press your thumb onto it with your blood, you will be wrapped in a geis. If you betray the Wolves, the spell will enact and you will die an excruciatingly painful death," Rufus paused to let that sink in, "If you refuse the contract, we will make sure you live, and that your life is so miserable you will wish for death." With that he held the now open document in front of the man. He hurriedly cut open his thumb and pressed it on the X at the bottom, then fell to his knees.

"Curse you and your damnable Wolves."

"Happy to be working with you too Captain. Now put out the order, 'Spare the Wolves, Slay the Cats'. With haste Captain. And you can expect a tidy sum for your cooperation." The Guard Captain looked at Rufus in confusion, "Even those that are loyal through coercion get paid." The Captain got up then, and stumbled forward out of the wedge. Soon after the order was being called out and passed along 'Spare the Wolves, Slay the Cats', and the Wolves were receiving a matching order, 'Spare the Guard, Slay the Cats'. It spread like wildfire through the streets, being taken up as a chant, and the Cats were being easily routed.

Soon after, the guards and Wolves were chasing the last of the Mountain Cats out of Cerenis, the rebuilding would soon commence. But Rufus was not focused on that. During the fighting, he had been dragged further away from the docks. Now, with night quickly falling in around them, the fires in throughout Cerenis being put out, and a steady rain falling on the city, Canis Rufus rushed toward the docks. He had been separated from all but his three Blood Wolves, and they were tight on his heels. He rounded a corner and saw Dylanna there. She was on her knees, staring out to sea, and by the shudder of her shoulders, he could tell she was sobbing. Oh Lanna. We'll save Sam.

"Lady Swinden!" He called out to her through the storm, raising his right hand high to draw her attention, hoping she'd turn. But before she could respond a crossbow bolt shot into his soft underarm. Chuck pulled Rufus back as Sandra stepped in to block a barrage of bolts with the only shield she had, her body. Tegan cried out and grabbed her blade sister, dragging her back as Chuck carried Rufus. A few more Wolves ran up then, accompanied by Cecil. Chuck pulled the bolt out of the Red Wolf and his blood began to pour forth. The assembled Wolves stood by in shock and fear as they watched the life draining from their leader. But with one last bit of energy, Sandra pulled a healing potion from her pouch, handed it to Tegan, and then died, with a grin on her face. She had done her duty, she had saved the Red Wolf.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey