Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Another Night on The Prowl [RHI!] [M]

Started by DaGlobster, May 02, 2014, 02:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Herrick didn't buy into the feint, having fenced too many a more skilled fighter than her to be caught off guard by one of the oldest moves in the book. Because of this, he wasn'ttotally surprised by the smoke, which he knew was an illusion because she made no motion that would otherwise betray a smoke bomb being thrown.

As soon as his rapier was slapped aside, he spun around the subsequent thrust, getting really close to Owl in the blink of an eye as he went in for a knee to her gut. After she would double over from the hit, he would swiftly cut the strap to her mask with Cheesecutter and back off, giving her time to recover.

Rhindeer

Instead of soft flesh, Herrick's knee hit hard armor--the enchanted armor she now wore beneath her clothes, soft and supple as leather, but protecting as good as plate mail. Owl grunted from the impact, but it didn't steal her breath and she didn't double over; instead, she swiftly retreated, parrying Cheesecutter and coaxing Herrick deeper into the expanding illusory smoke.

It wasn't real, that was true. But it obscured vision just as well.

With a little smile at him beneath her mask--gods, she loved this armor; it would have been so useful a month ago--she continued her quick retreat, moving between the narrow rows of bookshelves where Herrick's mobility would be restricted. She hadn't wanted to go there, because she didn't want to damage the books, but with his two blades, he left her with little choice. Between the narrow shelves, he would be unable to swing as freely, or as strongly, and she waited for him to follow and make his first attack.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Herrick released a short hiss when his knee connected with Owl's hidden armor. Maybe he underestimated her after all. He didn't know what to expect from her, but he knew more trickery and Serenian illusions were in store for him.

He observed Owl retreat into the bookshelves, and made a note of her tactical decision to retreat to somewhere he couldn't dual wield properly. Herrick smiled at her, and sheathed Cheesecutter.

"The smoke was a nice trick, lad. I've got tricks of my own." Herrick scoffed, and turned a ring divided into three sections upside down. His form blurred, and two mostly incorporeal copies of himself (although to Owl they looked like the real deal) stepped out of the blur before Herrick himself came back into focus. Each copy had a third of the ring around his finger, and they all exchanged glances before looking back at Owl.

The real Herrick flicked his wrist, and the curtains that let the moonlight in slid shut, bathing the library in darkness before the Herricks simultaneously twisted the gem on a second ring, and vanished from sight. They started maneuvering around her, and Owl would be able to hear their faint footsteps as they all stalked her.

Rhindeer

Well...shit.

Herrick split into three Herricks, and that was a sort of advanced illusion magic Owl wasn't yet capable of. And when the room was suddenly bathed in darkness...

Yeah. Shit was right.

She heard them moving and wondered how solid the fake ones were, but had no time to ponder it. Her number one priority wasn't winning this fight, anyway.

It was keeping this book out of his hands.

Acting fast, Owl reached into her pocket, drew one of the three cards she carried (never more than that, in case she was robbed), and gave it a quick glance before she tossed it behind her. Instantly, the image on the card came to life as an orc stepped from the card and grew, manifesting until it was life sized--a realistic illusion that even smelled like an orc. It snarled, and Owl commanded it to guard her back while she turned to the bookcase--

And pulled a tightly packed volume from a shelf.

Books rained down, and she swept more books from the shelves, then dropped the tome she carried onto the pile. A quick wave of her hand, and she changed its color, changed the words written on it--A Brief History of Arca--and then buried it beneath more books.

Then she squared her shoulders and readied herself, sword extended, her back to the orc, as she stepped over the pile and knocked more books down with her free hand as she went. She didn't expect the orc to last; the illusion would fade when it was struck. But it would serve as a warning if she was attacked from behind.

"Stop hiding and face me like a man!" she called. "Unless you're scared, and that's why you're skittering about like a rat."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Well, I am a thief. Hiding's what I do." His voice said, coming from everywhere. The footsteps stopped altogether, and a chuckle was heard directly ahead of her. From in front of the orc, a single, heavy book came beaming out of the darkness, striking the brute in the chest and causing him to fade away.

"Oops, I think I broke your friend." Came Herrick's voice. "Not a bad selection for a Deck of Illusions. Personally, I prefer the faeries." Herrick's  voice said, coming from straight ahead of her.

Suddenly, she'd hear a scratching sound directly above her as Herrick jumped down from the top of the bookshelf at her, intent on using the surprise to snatch her mask off and roll away.

Rhindeer

Something hit the ground behind her, and Owl swung around in time to see to see her orc fade away--but she couldn't make out much else in the dark. Heart in her throat, she pressed her back to the bookcase to try to watch both left and right and made sure to keep her grip on her sword relaxed rather than tight, so it would be easy to maneuver.

Then Herrick's voice came from the other side, and she jerked in alarm and looked that way--but still nothing.

And then a scratching, directly above her.

Herrick jumped down from the darkness, and Owl reacted fast, blade swinging up to block him as her back slammed against the bookcase in her alarm--sending down another rain  of books onto them both.

DaGlobster

Herrick frowned when his second attempt to get the mask off failed, and when she raised her blade to block his, his rapier clashed against hers with a resounding clang that sounded throughout the library. When the books came down, he was prepared for them. When they came down, he raised his cloak up with one arm to block them. His cloak, much like Owl's hidden armor, was surprisingly protective, altough for not the same reasons. It was made up of razor-thin, composite scales comprised of light metals wrapped with blackened leather, and then covered with cloth to make it look like a regular cape.

He blocked the rain of books with little effort, managing to catch one before it hit the ground, a meaty almanac about as thick as a human fist. He flung this at Owl's knee before advancing on her with his rapier, intent on whipping her across the face with the point.

Rhindeer

The book struck Owl in the knee, and while it didn't hurt, the force of it knocked her off balance. With a grunt, she stumbled and fell back against the book case again--right as Herrick's blade whipped across her face.

Owl didn't feel the sting, for the mask, made of the same material as her armor, protected her. But she did hear the sound of it striking, and she saw feathers flutter through the air his blade tore off the ornamentation, leaving behind a long bare patch in the mask. If it had been one of her old masks, and not one Rufus had gifted her, it would have been shattered, but it was clear now that the only way Herrick would be unveiling her was by yanking the mask off himself; it was not meant to break easily.

Regaining her balance, Owl whipped her saber back up to parry any follow-up strikes and turned her body quickly so she wasn't pinned up against a wall. She put her back to the aisle's exit and retreated a step, and smiled. "Your book's gone, Tavish," she said. "May as well give up. The guard will be here soon."

DaGlobster

Herrick laughed. "Nothing's ever gone, lad." He said, reestablishing his stance. "In fact, I'm already looking for it." He said, and some rustling and the sounds of books shifting alerted her to something ahead of her, behind Herrick. The pile of books was spread out, and the two other Herricks were stooped over it. One of them was wearing a strange pair of goggles with the glass tinted an odd shade of purple. The one with the goggles had a large book in his hands, and was flipping through it, a crafty smile on its face. The other was merely spreading the books out.

In order to keep Owl's attention away from it, the Herrick currently facing Owl resumed his assault with a series of broad slashes with the tip, aimed to keep her sword arm busy as his other arm flashed to his rear hip and brought his pistol to bear like lightning. He wasn't actually aiming at her head, or any part of her body at all. He was trying to disorient her with the thundering crack of his firearm, then pull her mask off.

Rhindeer

Though Owl had never seen a gun in person, she'd read descriptions of them, and as soon as Herrick pulled it out and aimed, her heart dropped and her blood went cold. Maybe she should have asked Rufus if her armor could repel bullets.

"Oh, shit!" she yelped, and scrambled backwards out of the aisle to throw herself to the side, skirting around the shelf's end cap  just as the gun went off with a thunderous, eardrum-cracking BOOM. It was like a mini explosion had gone off right here in the room, and it set her ears to ringing; she'd never heard anything like it, and it hurt. She swayed where she stood, her left hand going to her ear, and for a moment she was stunned as it threw her off kilter.

Which was all the time that was needed for "Herrick" to grab her mask and yank it off.

But if there was one good thing that came of that, it was that the sound was loud, and it traveled--especially in a nation where guns were uncommon. Owl had been bluffing about the guard and hoping the librarian would notify someone, but even if he hadn't, the guard would have heard that.

And even if they hadn't, the three Soot Wolves watching outside did, and while one quietly entered the way Herrick had, poised and ready to intervene should Rufus's ward need it, the other two slipped around the building to guard the entrances.

DaGlobster

Almost as quickly as he had drawn and fired it, the pistol was back in Herrick's rear holster, and he had rapidly stepped forwards. Like a coiled snake, his hand shot forward, fingers hooking around the rim of Owl's mask and quickly disappearing it from her face within a blink of the eye. If she happened to have her eyes closed at the moment it happened, she might not had even immediately noticed it was gone.

Herrick took a few steps backwards, chuckling as he mocked surprise. "Well well,  I knew you had it in you, Lady Beirne. I had you pegged for a terrible liar from the beginning." He said with as much smug as he could muster. He was twirliing the mask around by the  strap, slowly backpedaling.

"If freedom from your noble life is what you wanted, you could have just told me when we met in the library. Tell me, how long have you been pulling this act, hmm? How many half-minded thugs and weedy thieves have you turned in?"

Rhindeer

Owl felt the mask come free as the strap pulled at her hair and cool air hit previously covered skin, and she grabbed for it as Herrick yanked it free, but it was too late. He had her mask, and he was sure being insufferably smug about it. Fortunately (and unfortunately) her ears were ringing too much for her to catch the first half of what he said, but she did catch the last part.

Shaking off the shock, she quickly advanced as he retreated and made a quick, jabbing lunge for him with her saber.

"Probably more than you!" Owl snapped, grabbing a book from the shelf with her free hand and chucking it at Herrick's left shin. "As for the rest, that's really none of your business!"

DaGlobster

In Einin's disorientation, Herrick found it easy to deflect her saber jab and take a few more backwards steps. Then, Herrick lifted his leg to avoid the thrown book, which zipped just under his foot.

"You'd be surprised, Einin. I suppose you read on my poster, which claims that I have multiple kills under my belt? I have this to tell you. I've never killed a man who didn't deserve it or tried to kill me first. That's a fact. I've only ever stolen from those who sit on their wealth and do nothing with it. That's also a fact. Essyrnian slave-drivers, fat nobles, those are my quarry." He said, giving Einin some time to recover as he spoke. This was on purpose, he had a few choice words for her.

"Just because I don't put criminals away does not make us any different. We're cut from the same, noble cloth. We've both chosen to strive for freedom, except I've succeeded where you have failed." he continued, and hung Owl's mask at the tip of his rapier and held it out.

"This mask is where you failed. How can one be free if they're pretending to be someone else?" He asked, but continued anyways, not caring for her answer. "If you truly want to be free, come talk to me in my safehouse. No more lies, Einin." He finished, and let the mask fall to the floor.

"The attic of the burnt jeweler's shop. I won't pull any tricks as long as you don't."

Herrick then pulled out a dagger and stabbed himself in the leg, waving Einin a goodbye as his form faded, just like an illusion.

The library fell silent for a few seconds.

From the same place he entered, the sound of a Soot Wolf being knocked unconscious was soon followed by the crash of a stained glass window being jumped through.

Rhindeer

With a frustrated sound, Owl snatched her mask back up off the floor. He was a fake! She had wasted her time fighting a Kia-be-damned fake!

Working quickly, she fastened her mask back on her face. The sound of gunfire would have carried--especially in a place like Arca, where guns were rare enough to be unheard of--so the guard would no doubt be on the way. They could deal with protecting the library, but she had to leave before they came. The guard could either help or hinder her, but she didn't want to risk getting caught up and questioned.

And on this matter, she couldn't risk getting the guard involved. Herrick knew her identity. As easy as it would be to set the guard on him, since she knew his location, it would be a fool move now when he could spill her identity to the guard. Goddammit...

All the more reason to deal with him, and deal with him fast. Though...

Even if she turned him in, couldn't he out her anyway?

Owl's stomach twisted with realization.

Shit.

Shit shit shit!

The librarian poked his head into the room then, and Owl tossed him a look. "I'm sure the book's stolen by now, but if it's not, guard it," she said, and with a wave of her hand, she dispelled the illusion she'd cast. Of course, it would only work if the book was still there, which it may very well not be. "And if he's got it, I'll get it back. The guard should be here, soon. I'm sorry I couldn't do more, but I promise I'll fix it!"

And with that said, she rushed out the door, the remaining two Soot Wolves trailing her from the shadows.

It was a short trip to the safe house, and Owl couldn't believe she didn't recognize it earlier. Probably because it looked different when it wasn't a roaring mass of flame.

She took a deep breath as she approached it, a wave of apprehension rolling over her as she drew closer. This was where her nightmare begun, and she found herself hesitating, not wanting to go in there, fearing things would be lurking in the shadows. It was a silly fear; no goblins would live there, and besides, if they tried anything, she felt confident that it would go better this time. She'd learned some hard lessons last time that she hoped never to repeat, and was far better equipped this time--physically and mentally.

Still, she wasn't at all pleased at the idea of going down into the shop's freakin' attic.

"Give me ten minutes," she told the Wolves that had followed her as she stepped inside the building. "If I don't come out in ten minutes, or otherwise give some signal that I'm okay, then assume I'm in trouble and act appropriately."

And then, with a deep breath, she descended into the attic, one hand on her sword.

DaGlobster

When Einin descended into the attic, she'd find the room was free of goblins or anything fishy. Illuminated by a lit lantern's light, Herrick sat at a charred but mostly intact small table, relaxed into a chair. Across from him, there was an empty chair, pulled out and set aside. One of his hands was tapping lightly on the table, more out of boredom than anything else. As far as Einin could see, the book was notably absent, because Herrick had hidden it under the floorboards.

When he saw that she was wearing her mask again, he let out a disappointed sounding tsk

"Hm, you actually showed up. Color me surprised." He said, and motioned towards the unoccupied seat. "Please, sit. There's no more need for that mask, as well." He added.

Regardless of whether she actually sat down or not, he'd continue. "Tell me the truth, Einin. Did you come here because of what I said in the library, because you truly want to be free? Or are you still chasing a book?" He said, leaning forward and placing both hands on the table.

Rhindeer

[ooc: LOL OMG I was so tired when I wrote my post, I didn't realize until now that I wrote she descended into the attic. xD I meant ascended! Attics are above! WHOOOOOPS.]

"I'm fine standing, thanks," Owl said, unmoved. "My legs need a good stretch." But she did slide her mask up so it rested atop her head, still held on by the straps. He was right; no real point hiding her identity around him now.

She came to stand behind the chair and leaned onto the back of it, listening as he spoke, and taking a quick mental stock of the room. There was no sign of the book anywhere, which figured; if Herrick had gotten a hold of it, he would have to have been stupid to leave it out in the open, knowing she was coming.

Looking back over at Herrick, she sighed at his question and let her shoulders relax, her eyes lowering. "The truth, huh?" she said, staring down at her gloved hands. "Maybe...a little of both?" She looked back up at him finally and drew herself up a little straighter. "Like, I told myself I'd just come and get the damned book back, like a proper hero should do, but...well, I'm doing a poor job of that now, aren't I? So...maybe..."

She shrugged. "Maybe I am a little curious. About this...freedom thing you speak of. And why you care so much."

Hopefully that would get him talking. They always liked to talk.

DaGlobster

(Yeah, I was playing along to see if you'd notice or not. Also, lots of talking up ahead, so PAY ATTENTION, RHAY RHAY!)

"Curious? Well, anyone would be curious. If a thief invited me into his safehouse to hold a serious talk about my future, I'd be damn curious as well. But I suppose that's not the answer you're looking for." Herrick said, and slowly stood up, placing a hand to his chin.

"Now, stop me if I'm getting something wrong here. You're a noblewom-er...Noblegirl who's either sick and tired of her courtly life and the perks it comes with, or you're afraid of being married off. So, in order to make yourself believe that you're freeing yourself from this life and/or inevitable arranged marriage, you're dressing up in a fluffy mask and apprehending criminals. Now..." He said, and paused for a few moments.

"Oh, and by the way, call off your tails. They won't be necessary. If I wanted you dead, unconscious, or captured, you wouldn't have made it up here." Herrick quickly said, and resumed his theorizing.

"...Something's wrong here. Because your "bodyguards" are Soot Wolves, saw it for myself when Herrick #2 knocked out that sad excuse of a thug back in the library. What's a pretty little vigilante like yourself doing mucking around in the underworld? With bodyguards? Obviously, the only conclusion I can draw is that you're connected to Rufus, The Red Wolf. And if you're connected to him...well..." Herrick paused again.

"That doesn't make you a very good vigilante. But that brings me to my point. No matter what you do, you have to return to your wealthy life, and your entire existence, until you do get married off, that is, is stuck in an infinite cycle of high-life by day, and low-life by night. I know this cycle, I was once stuck in it myself, and that's why I care. I hate to see wasted talent, Einin. If Rufus's been teaching you, then he hasn't been doing a very good job."

He paused.

"I can truly free you, take you away from all...this..." he said disdainfully as he waved out towards the attic window and the rest of Arca beyond it. He stood up, and moved towards the warped and charred remains of the window, crossing his arms as he looked out across the rooftops. "Call me strange, but I'm a thief with a sick sense of good."

Rhindeer

[ooc: AYE AYE! *SALUTE*]

Owl let him talk, and listened as he spoke, though his words soon had her bristling. He had some things right--but also got some things wrong, as so many did. And he was also smart enough to put two and two together and guess at her connection to Rufus, which...well...

How did she even go about explaining that?

But the accusation that Rufus hadn't taught her well, and that she was a poor vigilante, got her back up and she glowered at Herrick, her spine stiffening.

"Look. It's complicated," she ground out, and hoped he would leave it at that. There was no way she was getting into all that with Herrick. "But I can tell you that you're both right and wrong about a lot of things. And I can tell you that I have no intention of leaving Arca. You think I want to run away? Like you did? I don't."

She folded her arms over her chest and shrugged. "I've never been the running type."

DaGlobster

"Look. It's complicated,"

Herrick chuckled.

"I won't press. I'm sure your life must be very complicated. Still, I assumed I was bound to get some things wrong." He said, still looking out the window. He sighed, before turning back around.

"Usually, you'd be right, but in my situation, it took more courage to run away. I used to be under two heels, my father's and the Adelan crown's. I was their top agent, but I grew sick and tired of wasting my days in court and my nights slitting throats in the castles of rogue noblemen. I didn't run, I liberated myself." Herrick said, pausing to think.

"You can do the same, but you've allowed yourself and Rufus to cloud your vision and...wait..."

"...have you two...uh..." Herrick trailed off, not quite knowing how to phrase the question without getting a sword drawn on him.

Rhindeer

If Owl had been about to comment on Herrick's explanation, it all went flying out the window when Herrick asked his question. Or rather, his non-question, the one he didn't finish--but that was heavily implied. For a moment, Owl just looked blankly at Herrick, and then she went very stiff as it registered. Her eyes widened, warmth threatening to flood her cheeks, and she quickly averted her eyes and stared down at the table.

"Uh...I'm sorry?"

One finger began to tap a steady rhythm on her arm. She glanced back up at him and smiled, tensely, and decided her best offense was feigned obliviousness.

"I'm...I'm not sure I follow. Have we what?"

It was...still a rather sore subject for her. But with any luck, Herrick would feel too awkward to press deeper.