Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Red, Rude and Prude

Started by visualspice, September 02, 2014, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Scrambling up onto the shore beside him, she turned back to the chaos and the sinking ship.

"Great... just great." She turned towards REd, and eyed him up. "So you're the hired help. What do we do now? I dare say traveling on foot as far as we need to go isn't an option." And she huffed further into shore, grimacing as her boots sloshed beneath her.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Red simply plopped into the sand, not even bothering to pull his feet out of the edge of water.  He was still breathing heavily, and took a moment before even having the energy to wrap the soaked scarf back around his neck.

Soon, debris began to wash ashore with them, pieces of flotsam, clothing, the like.  Ironically, not a single man swam ashore with them.  At from this distance, it appeared as though the survivors were all pulling themselves out at the other side of the river.

"Looks like we don't have a choice, eh?  Luckily we're on the right side of the river."  And with that he shot her another toothy grin.

visualspice

Beatrice blinked and looked quickly to where the other men were. ANd she promptly stood up.
"Oh! But our men!"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Red spit out some leftover river water and pointed.  "Looks like they're Hakeem's men now."

And sure enough, across the river was the fat little jailer, soaked to the bone but otherwise doing just fine.  He seemed to have spotted the pair from across the river because he waved at them.  Even from a distance, his yellowed smile made Red's stomach curdle.

visualspice

Sighing, Beatrice turned from the river and readjusted her hat.
"Well, there's no time to waste. We're still in crocodile territory and I don't intend to stay put to give them an easy meal." And she hefted up her soggy skirts away from her boots as she made her way across the rocky sands. However, tall reeds covered most of the area, and though hesitant a crocodile (or two) could be lurking within,s he used her senses to keep wary- after all, the thicker reeds couldn't house a crocodile- for they'd bend the reeds over.

"We should follow the river," she went on, gesturing forward and hoping Hakeem could understand, because when she tried to shout to him, it didn't seem like he quite understood, and she didn't want to keep shouting like some sort of a ninny.

Either way, her patience was thin, as was the line between them and the dangerous dark waters beside them.

"We might be walking a while. This river isn't known for it's slender bends. In fact, the Niafi river is by far one of hte widest rivers charted by man."

Cambie

"Is that a fact? Tell me more, oh wise scholar," Red said with a smirk as they followed the water's edge.  Soon, the flames from the distant burning ships disappeared into the night.  The only visible light was the moon above, and the few torches burning from the other side of the river as Hakeem and his cronies followed their path.

After a while, Red stopped and crouched down among the reeds, watching as the torches continued following the river and then around a wide bend.  Like Beatrice said, it snaked across the landscape slowly and ponderously.

Then without missing a beat, Red abruptly turned and pulled Beatrice back the way they came.  "You'd think that man would know which direction the river leads, if it's so well charted.  Hakeem will be PIIIIIIISSED when he arrives back in the Jeweled City!"

And then he just burst out laughing at the thought!

visualspice

"W-what?" Beatrice stumbled as he pulled her. "What do you mean- were we.." And then she gasped, a hand covering her lips. "Oh by the makers, how elementary a mistake!" And she couldn't believe she had been one to make it, too!

Cambie

Red laughed again and tugged her along. "Honest mistake, sweetheart.  You just survived an assassination, and I'm impressed that you're not shaking in your wet boots!"

And after a while of walking through the thick reeds, Red looked up at the clear night sky and then abruptly turned left away from the river.

"This way. They'll figure out the mistake by morning but I know how to give us a head start."

visualspice

She glared at the back of his head.
"If I were shaking in them it wouldn't be out of fear, I assure you!" she quipped. And as she peered up at the stars, she wished she would have thought of that, first.

"A head start... right, but we're down to just the two of this on this exposition now and we're walking through snake infested reeds. Crocodiles too, if we're unlucky enough," she reminded with a frown.

And as a bug whizzed past, she gave an exasperated huff and whacked it away with the back of her hand.

"And hungry night bugs, too," shew ent on with a sniff. 

Peering up at the stars, she peered back to Red.
"So you know which way we travel?" she asked, skeptical of him- only a little, because she still felt disoriented from the boat ordeal.

Cambie

"Oh, I certainly do," Red replied, the only visible part of him being the glint of white teeth as he grinned at her.  And the silhouette of him swatting a mosquito from his face.

They walked in silence through the reeds for a little while longer as the Kishahni considered whether to tell her.  He certainly wasn't getting into her graces anytime soon (not that he cared), but all things considered...

"There's a little waterin' hole, Zagora, about half a day's walk this way, where we could buy ourselves a couple camels," he said, breaking the silence.  "Or at least get a hold of two of them with my five-fingered discount."  At that, he wiggled his thieving fingers at her.

"Truth be told, going this way would probably save us three or four days versus having taken the river all the way south and to the Coal Harbor.  I heard a couple sailors talkin' about Zagora last night, so ratface will know to follow us."

A bit more silence before he let out a sigh.

"And if we're being truthful... I was planning on jumping ship at the riverbend and heading south myself to get the Wings.  But y'know... on account of you saving my life and all, I figured I'd be nice to you."

See?! Let no man say that Red Vaa'tanen had no honor! Not that it mattered that Beatrice has saved his life twice now, once from the noose and once from the crocs. The second life-saving warranted some kindness in return, he guessed.  Feeling quite proud of himself for even thinking it, he smiled to nobody and puffed out his chest as they swam through the reeds.

visualspice

"Zagora," she repeated, the words humming inside her head, and a damn mosquito hummed in her ear. She batted the thing away, then another before giving him an unamused look at his five fingered discount quip. She sighed through her nose.

"Though the boat sank, we're not entirely without money," she told him matter of factly. "We should have more than enough to buy ten camels, if we so wished."

Feeling a little better that they had some goal in mind, the comfort was quickly trampled by Red's reveal. Her eyes went wide, and before she could think better of it, she smacked his arm hard and barked out an accusing, "What?"

Oh, this man had her feathers ruffled alright! Red cheeked despite the cool night's air,s he took a firm grip of his shirt sleeve and glared.

"Let's get things straight here, Red," began her threat through biting words. "You'd be dead long before this whole river ordeal, and if I had entirely trusted you then, I'd be a bigger fool than I am now. Even an enemy of my enemy isn't fully a friend, so don't consider yourself too fortunate and slick." She dropped her grip on his arm, still growling. "You're not the only one that knows a thing or two about this area, or the Kishan. We're bypassing Zagora," and without further explaining, she turned westward in the reeds.

Cambie

It was Red's turn to go wide-eyed and slack jawed as Lady Beatrice stomped past him and through the reeds.  How had she turned this whole thing around on him? He had been in control!

And there was a better question as he hurried after her, careful not top step in a wet little pool of stagnant water.  "Waitaminute... what do you mean bypass Zagora?  Where are we going?"

Because they sure as hell weren't walking to Kishahn!

visualspice

"Zagora is too conspicuous a place, and the best kept secrets are well....secret." She turned to him smugly. "I can get us to the Kishan in two days of less if I actually utilize this knowledge. We won't even need camel's."

Cambie

Red was tempted to shove swamp mud onto her smug look, but instead started laughing.

"Two days, huh.  Lady, if you can get us to the jungle in two days WITHOUT camels... well I'll apologize for everything I ever did to you, and will do whatever you ask of me for the rest of my life."

visualspice

"You'll be eating those words.." she went on, eyeing him skeptically. "But I'm still uncertain... Such secrets should not fall to the wrong sources. As tremendous as it would be to get there, and quickly, I have to think of my connections and if ego is worth the potential secrecy to become.. well, unsecret," she went on with a bit of a frown in his direction.
"And though we seemed to have saved one another's lives... I can only presume it was out of necessity. We've barely known one another over a weeks time."

Cambie

Red looked at her as if she was a swamp monster just sprung from the marsh in which they waded.  "Lady, you can't start throwing a word like 'secret' around and then not explain yourself!"

He stopped for a moment to swat another mosquito out of his face, and then to reach under his shirt with a grimace.  When his hand emerged, it held a fat leech, which he promptly threw as far as he could.  Disgusting.

visualspice

Beatrice gave a yelp and dodged the flying leech.
"Leeches.... not one of my favorite pests," she went on, nose wrinkling. Then she turned to Red, eyes sharp.
"I'm still debating if I can trust you."
Though the idea of getting their faster was almost too tantalizing to resist. Even still, she wouldn't give it to him so easily!

Cambie

Red's face screwed up.

"Lady, if we're going to get to the jungle -- and then through the jungle -- in one piece, we need to start trustin' each other right now."

He plucked another leech off his side with a yelp and tossed it away.  That would leave a mark.  He looked at her again, and his face suddenly transformed into an expression a petulant five-year-old would make.

"Cmon... tell meeeeeeee!" came the whine.

visualspice

If they weren't in an area where leeches were trying to crawl up her skirts, she'd have stop to glare at him properly, but as it were, she would have to settle for glaring at him as they walked.

"Really.. begging like a child won't help."

She never cared for crying children. Then again, even mother's, she'd seen, were repulsed by it.

Cambie

The face immediately dropped, replaced by an indignant scowl.

"Well it was worth a try, I figured you rich folk were used to people babying up to you anyway. Fine, don't tell me. I'll just believe it when I see it."

Red was pretty sure he'd found all the leeches by the time they landed on firmer ground. And not a moment too soon, his boots were starting to squeak and suck on his feet again, from the algae and whatnot. He'd probably develop foot rot now, thanks to her.

The sky was starting to lighten up too. Dawn in the desert was a pretty sight and he couldn't help but marvel at it even as they continued silently on.