Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lie We Seek (M)

Started by Valtxr, May 22, 2017, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtxr

Merissa had gotten the payment from the innkeeper after a few minutes of waiting. Sharon followed her back inside she came out and tapped her on the shoulder. Now, Sharon and Merissa sat a table in the inn's bar with Volkhard and Otto.
   Sharon waited. Watched as Volkhard counted the coins. Once he was satisfied that all of it was there, then she could go—she didn't have much time to waste.
   Then he tossed the pouch back to her. She caught it, a bit surprised that he decided not to take all of it. Sharon just handed it over to Merissa, who pocketed it; she didn't need the extra weight slowing her down.
   And Volkhard had a question.
   "Yes. I did," Sharon said curtly as she stood up from the table. "Now, I have somewhere to be. Good day."
   As she turned to go, Merissa twisted around in her chair and said, "Sharon, dear, won't you spare a moment to entertain our good friends? Surely you'd like to unwind after such a harrowing encounter."
   "No. I wouldn't. Take care, Merissa."
   Sharon started again, walking toward the doorway leading of the bar and into the main lobby.
   Merissa stood. Said, "You can't go, Sharon."
   Sharon stopped. At the edge separating the bar room and the main lobby. Turned. A few of the other patrons in the bar were looking at her and Merissa.
   "Sit down," Sharon said.
   "Sharon, please. I think you'll find that a little chat can solve—"
   "Sit down, Merissa. I'm going."
   "That would be a grave mistake, Sharon."
   Sharon rested her hand on her holstered main pistol. More wary eyes on her from the other patrons. "And what are you going to do to stop me? Hmm?"
   Merissa said nothing.
   "That's what I thought."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Volkhard said nothing, instead taking a sip out of his mug, as he sat there staring at where the two women were. Otto did the same, keep his silence.

The two sat their for a few moments, before Volkhard glanced at Otto. "Well, I suppose that's tha-"

"You know she's going to try to get the man, by herself." Otto suddenly interjected.

"No shit." said Volkhard. "But I can't risk...my reputation. I know people in the army, too many to betray their trust for somthing, I dare say, as pity as this...especially after this Aven fella, I have at least an obligation to do something. Can't exactly do it if I am behind bars or branded as an enemy of the state."

Otto said nothing as he continued to stare into the space. Volkhard glanced at him, and said "You aren't considering going after her?"

"She is going to get herself killed."

"You can't talk her out of a person that stubborn...I've seen more then one of her kind."

"Then you know this is preventable."

"Maybe...but." Volkhard sighed. "I can't, not for her...least not between the boys and her."

A minute went past, Volkhard returned to looking into empty space, taking a chug out of his mug. He then wiped his mouth and put the mug back onto the table.

Volkhard looked over to Otto, then he looked up and sighed again, before returning his attention to Otto.

"Don't get yourself killed."  Volkhard said. "I'll be around the city for a bit, then I am heading up North to visit a friend or two...got information for them."

Otto nodded, he said nothing, his eyes dead, but he was paying attention at every single word Volhard said.

"Take of yourself, you hear...and good luck." Volkhard said, as he closed his eyes and leaned his head back.

A minute later he opened his eyes, and Otto was gone, his mug still left untouched. The window to the hall outside of the room was suddenly open, the breeze blew the curtains to the side.

Volkhard only smiled to himself, as he grabbed the mug again...

Valtxr

Merissa watched Sharon disappear into the main lobby of the inn. Heard Volkhard and Otto talking behind her at the table. And she thought for a moment.
   Perhaps Sharon was right. Perhaps Merissa had lost her spine for this sort of life. The change from the norm, the shaking up of the established rules, the lovely chaos, and the perilous nature of Sharon's plan to bring order to Reajh's underworld had appealed to Merissa. It promised a spot of fun, a departure from the cozy life she had been living for the last thirteen years.
   But her love for her son Niko won out over the yearning she had to relive the life of her younger self. And if Sharon was truly incorrigible on this, and if the worst came to pass, then someone would need to look after little Siro.
   When she turned around, Otto was gone. Just Volkhard and her at the table now.
   She smiled. Sat back down. Folded her arms on the table. "I should hope that your dear friend Otto has more luck than I do." She eyed his mug, and added, "I don't normally drink very often, much less so when it comes to beers and ales, but, if there ever was an appropriate time, now would most certainly be it."
   And she signaled to the bartender to come over.

The Ansgar's Hand Headquarters in Reajh.
   Torjus "Pretty Boy" Barmen led his horse Sledge out of the stables. The three other Corporals coming with him on this mission were by the passenger carriage with the guard sergeant. Two of them were affixing the reins and straps to the horses and the carriage while he briefed them.
   "Who is this guy, anyway?" asked one of the Corporals.
   "Our VIP is some kind of defector," the sergeant said. "Used to work with some small-time insurgent forces here in Reajh. Knows things. Tipped off the guard to the locations of some of these insurgent cells and their mages. Used to practice magic with them, but now he wants to confess at A.E.G."
   Torjus chuckled as he stood by the other Corporals. "Been wondering why some civilian was allowed to stay here and eat our food the past few days."
   "Yeah, well that's why." The sergeant glanced between the four Corporals. "Look, I know you boys are tough. Don't need to hear shit from some crusty old guard sergeant. But my officers wouldn't have talked to your officers if they didn't think something might happen today."
   One of the Corporals, the joker of the squad, grinned and said, "Oh yeah. We did have a lot of beans for chow last night. This VIP guy might light the carriage on fire when he shoots a fireball out of his ass."
   Torjus and the other Corporals laughed.
   The sergeant glanced over his shoulder, spotting Michael Armstrong in the distance, coming toward them across the courtyard from the barracks. "Alright, alright, settle down. Here he comes. Just stay alert, would ya? Mages are a fuckin' vindictive bunch."
   Torjus slipped on his helmet. Jumped up onto Sledge's saddle.
   Should be an easy assignment.

"I need to see Strathus," Sharon said as soon as she pushed open the door to Fallah's Remedies.
   Both Fallah and Lenius looked up from the table behind the counter. Stopped their work on making the potions. No small amount of bewilderment on their faces. Just the three of them in the shop.
   "I was just here. Blue mortar and pestle, whatever you need to hear. Listen, Strathus wants something, and in order for me to get that something for him, I have to borrow some tools. He has what I need. So let me see him."
   Lenius glanced at Fallah. She put down the potion bottle on the table, stood, and said, "Very well."
   Into the back room.
   Down through the secret trap door.
   Through the heavy iron door.
   And back into the dim lair with Strathus.
   The sorcerer turned around once again, his back to the glowing altar. A rush of air into his mask. "You've returned, as I suspected."
   Sharon stood before the mage with no fear. Only a solid determination. "I'm going to get your son."
   "Yes. Of course you are. Because you desire something. It does not matter what it is—only that you desire it. And you will do what is necessary to obtain it. A delusion, that we may act for others and not for ourselves. Notions of goodness and righteousness. The illusion that we may be a better self than who we truly are. This is the lie we seek." A distorted chuckle from behind the mask. "Tell me, what is it that you require?""
   Sharon glanced over to Fallah beside her. Then back at the sorcerer.
   And said firmly, "Smoke bombs. Two more pistols. And as many crates of explosives as you can spare."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"He's not much of a social person...but..." Volkhard said. "He has a few tricks up his sleeves."

Volkhard took another sip of his mug, before staring at the open window,..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Otto had taken to the roofs the moment he had exited through the window. He had been shadowing the women on top of the roofs, taking care not to be spotted.

He followed her back to the medicine store, hiding behind one of the chimney, he observed
ed her going in.

Why ever she was in here, she need somthing from the old man...

Valtxr

Merissa sipped on the ale that she purchased. A pity, that they didn't have wine on offer here. Seemed most of the patrons simply preferred anything but that, and the bartender's supply reflected the demand.
   And she wondered. About Sharon. And about Volkhard and Aven.
   Aven had appeared to be a perfectly cordial and reasonable person when Merissa had met him. And she had trouble discerning if it was Aven who had lied to her then, or if it was Sharon who was lying about Aven now.
   Either way, Aven was a mage, one who had played a very dangerous game. And Volkhard, a former military man, seemed keen on following up on Sharon's tip. A dreadful thing, if such a handsome young man like Aven met an untimely end. But that was life.
   Merissa pushed aside the mug of ale and said, "Do you have any children, Volkhard?"

Torjus watched the man approach. He had his wife with him. A girl, about five or six years old. His wife carried a baby boy in her arms.
   "Mr. Armstrong," said the sergeant when they came within speaking distance. "Mrs. Armstrong. Good day."
   "Good day," Michael said. "Is it...just you five?"
   "It'll be a short ride," the sergeant said. "The Church of Ansgar's Eternal Glory isn't all that far from here."
   Emogene Armstrong looked to her husband. Her worry ill-concealed.
   Kate, the girl, pointed to Sledge and asked her father, "Can I ride on the horse?"
   Michael crouched down and pointed at the carriage, redirecting her attention. "We're going to ride in the carriage there. Won't that be fun?"
   Her eyes lit up. "Okay!"
   Torjus smiled as he watched her run over to the carriage door and jump and jump and try to reach the knob to open it. He dismounted from Sledge and walked over to the door and opened it up, then helped Kate hop inside.
   The sergeant looked back to Michael. "Is this the last cell that you know about?"
   He nodded. "Yes. It's...the one hiding my father."
   "Then we need to get this done. All the other cells and their mages have been rounded up. You'll be safe after this, sir."
   And then the sergeant motioned toward Torjus and the open carriage door.
   Michael looked to Emogene.
   And she tried to smile. "We'll be fine. Surely. We're doing God's work today."

Strathus was more than willing to oblige.
   Fallah, at his request, climbed up into the back room of the shop and procured a satchel of smoke bombs, and the pistols belonging to her and Lenius. Meanwhile, Sharon grabbed two empty wooden crates and laid them beside the walls of the lair. A quick spell from the sorcerer and a small sliver of the wall peeled up like paper, spilling its contents down into the crates.
   Ignis Root. Crystal Vane. Two naturally occurring plants that, on their own, weren't dangerous. They could be refined into two different drugs: Root providing a rush and a fervent pleasure, Vane slowing the body down, letting the mind drift high and relaxed. But they could be mixed together and enriched with some minor enchantments to produce a more intense version of both effects simultaneously to the user; a throbbing pleasure in one's body as the mind sailed on a wonderful hallucinatory journey through the stars.
   But the mixture was dangerous. Extremely volatile. With the right amount of heat, a catastrophic reaction would follow, releasing a massive explosion as both the chemical and magical bonds violently unraveled. Add in a sprinkle of gunpowder to ignite the mixture, and it made an incredibly destructive bomb.
   So, when Fallah came back down and saw two whole crates being loaded with the mixture, she had to ask, "Are you...sure about this?"
   Sharon didn't look at her. Just watched the powdery mixture pour down into the crate. "I need to make sure I have enough to knock that cavalry clean off of their horses."
   When the crates were filled, Strathus stepped forward. "Allow me." And he cast a simple enchantment to decrease the weight of the crates. "Fallah will help you prepare. Then it is up to you, young Sharon."
   Fallah picked up one of the crates. And Sharon picked up the other.
   "I'll get it done," Sharon said.
   And the sorcerer nodded. Said, "Because you must."

Sharon and Fallah exited the apothecary shop, each carrying unmarked crates in their arms.
   And they started down the street, walking in the direction of the Church.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Volkhard sat his mug down, staring into space, before his good eye looked over to Melissa. "Nah, never found anyone to settle down with, and well...it's too late for me now."

He took a minute to think, before he continued. "I've always wanted my own, though...but in this world...not here at least."

He lifted his mug and took another sip.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Otto squinted at the boxes, seemed like there were carrying something, and he was willing to bet that it was something violent, or at least something for the ambush.

Looking over from the roof tops, he spotted the church. Otto began running, jumping over from building to building, passersby below were oblivious to his actions.

There plan was in action...whether they were succeed, he had to see.

Valtxr

"Ah, quite the busy bee, hmm?"
   Merissa covered her mouth and chuckled. She eyed her mug of ale, but opted not to take another drink for now.
   "It changes you," she said, "in a very fundamental way. The things you'll do. The things you won't do. A tempering, of sorts. Not necessarily for better or worse, but simply...different than what came before. Some people don't want it. Some people don't need it, but some..." Merissa shook her head, thinking of Sharon, "...could certainly use it. Perhaps not a child and a family and all of that, but that same sort of tempering. A counterbalance to one's worst self."
   Second thoughts. Merissa took hold of the mug and sipped on the ale again and set it down. "I think Sharon's own counterbalance, her younger sister Siro, isn't nearly strong enough. Not anymore, at least."

The Church of Ansgar's Eternal Glory was enormous, one of several huge churches dotting Reajh. The massive open city square in front of the Church's doors was filled with a large crowd, over fifty people. A nobleman's wedding had just concluded and all the guests and family members of the bride and groom were outside, chatting and celebrating and drinking wine.
   Sharon and Fallah, following the flow of other commoners, walked around the large wedding gathering at the foot of the gigantic Church. Sharon couldn't help but glance up at the twin steeples of the Church rising up into the sky.
   And they walked around the city square and the wedding crowd to the other side. Back to small buildings and enclosed streets.
   Fallah walked to one street in particular, her back to the square and the crowd. "Here. This street is part of the most direct route from the Ansgar's Hand compound to the Church. They'll likely come down this way."
   Sharon waited until a man and his wife passed them. Then said, "And if they don't?"
   "That's your problem."
   It didn't take long to find the ideal spot. A closed down shop, abandoned by the owner, only a brisk walk from the square. Sharon could still hear the vague celebratory murmurings of the wedding crowd in the air. Could still see them down the street and across the square with a glance.
   Fallah tried the door. Open, surprisingly enough. She entered, and Sharon followed.
   Dim inside, with only the light leaking in from the large shop window by the front door. A fine layer of dust on what remained: the counter, some shelves, some broken crates and partially stripped barrels.
   "Here," Sharon said, setting down her crate by the window. Then she nodded toward the dirt alley across the street, visible from the vantage point of the shop window. "I'll have good line-of-sight to here from down there. I don't want to be anywhere near this when it goes off."
   Fallah put down her crate on top of Sharon's. Then they gathered the other crates and barrels and shelves and loose pieces of wood and cluttered the area up. Made it look inconspicuous. Just like a closed down shop ought to look from the window.
   Sharon exited the shop first. Looked up the street. No one. Looked down the street. Only the wedding crowd, some hundred yards or so away by the Church. Then she nodded, and Fallah came out.
   "I need to borrow your scarf," Sharon said.
   Somewhat annoyed, Fallah nevertheless took it off and handed it to Sharon. "Come a little more prepared next time."
   "This isn't how I wanted this to happen," Sharon said as she tied the scarf around her neck, ready to be lifted up to cover her face. "But this is how it needs to happen."
   A pause. Then Fallah handed over the satchel of smoke bombs with the two spare pistols to Sharon, who slipped the strap over her shoulder. Said, "Good luck," before she started to walk away. Back toward her apothecary shop.
   Just her now.
   Sharon walked over to the intersection between the street and the small dirt alley. Casually leaned up against one of the buildings, facing down the street toward the open square and the wedding crowd outside the Church. She'd have to look back over her shoulder to see up the street, the direction Michael was supposed to be coming from, but her position by the building concealed much of her body from sight from up the street. She could spot the convoy coming and disappear instantly into the alley. They'd probably never even see her, or not make much of it if they did. Just the face of a random commoner slipping away behind the building. Simply making way for the carriage. No one important.
   Sharon crossed her arms.
   And waited.
   As her heart beat steadily in her chest.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Aye, if you were a family man ya have more to lose...I've seen men with nothing to lose before...they'd throw everything they'd have into the ring, maybe they'd thought that they could gain somthing worth living for."

A moment of silence from him, before he went on. "The lass needs some sort of anchor, keeps her from floating away too far into the clouds."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Otto climbed up to the side of the building, the roof keeping him covered as he peeked over the edge.

It took him a minute to scan the crowd, before he spotted the two entering a building. He was debating weather to follow down, but then the two women came out. 

They talked, and Otto watched, before the two women separated. He watched as Sharon leaned against the wall.

It was clear to him why she was there, but how was she going to execute things?...

Valtxr

The guard sergeant driving the carriage turned onto the last street, a few passersby standing and waiting for the carriage and the four Ansgar's Hand riders to pass.
   Torjus rode his horse to the left of the carriage, in the rear position. He could see into the carriage through one of the side windows. Saw Kate and Emogene and the baby in her arms. Saw Michael.
   A man trying to clean up his life. Not all that different from Torjus himself.
   The carriage continued down the road. The towering steeples of the Church of Ansgar's Eternal Glory were getting closer and closer. Clearly visible over the low rooftops of the surrounding buildings of the street.
   Torjus kept watch as his mount Sledge trotted along.
   Watched the windows of shops. The doors of homes. The alleys that seemed to appear and disappear without warning to either side of him.
   If the sergeant was right, and an attack did happen, it could come from anywhere. And the enclosed street they were on was a terrible location for mounted combat.
   But it was just a little further. And it'd be done.
   A slight bend in the street, and Torjus could see the end of it in the distance. The massive city square in front of the Church. The large wedding crowd outside the Church—a tiny swarm of people.
   Just a little further.

Sharon saw them. A carriage. Two armored riders on either side of it. Total of four. Had to be it.
   She walked down the alley in a hurry. Trying to judge what a safe distance might be on the fly. But there was no way to know for sure. And the further she got from the closed down shop, the harder the shot to ignite the explosives would be.
   So she stopped and turned around. A good sprint away from the shop. Some forty or so yards it seemed. It would have to do.
   She glanced up and down the narrow alley.
   Alone. No witnesses. Good.
   Sharon reached into the satchel and withdrew both pistols and aimed them down the alley. The shop window a small square in the distance.
   She started counting in her head.
   A tricky thing. She needed the convoy to be close, but not too close. If she fired too soon, the explosion might not do the damage necessary to incapacitate, disorient, and wound the soldiers. If she fired too late, she risked killing Michael outright.
   And she counted. Tried to think about the slow speed of the convoy and the position she had seen it in and how long it would take for it to approach the shop and—
   Someone passed by the shop. A civilian. Appearing and disappearing from sight at the far end of the alley in an instant.
   Sharon steadied her breath. No turning back. Not when she was so close to pulling this off.
   And she counted.
   Her fingers on the triggers.
   And fired both pistols.

The bullets from the pistols tore into one of the crates. The force of the impact heated the volatile Ignis-Crystal mixture, and the intense heat from the mixture ignited the gunpowder, and the flames from the gunpowder set off the catastrophic reaction.
   A deafening clap. A massive cloud of dust and debris shooting into the air; a thick stem of dust crowned by a massive curling ball of fire and smoke. A shockwave rushing in every direction, shattering glass and violently rumbling the very foundations of the buildings it touched.
   The entire closed down shop was obliterated.
   Pieces of it were sprayed into the surrounding buildings and streets and high into the air. Pelting everything nearby with superheated chunks of stone from the street and the foundation and jagged shards of wood from the shop.
   From afar, the explosion looked akin to a volcanic eruption. A devastating and horrific scene. In the middle of the city.

Screams from the wedding crowd. They pointed and ran and shouted and turned and hid their faces and sheltered their loved ones and shrieked and ducked and panicked and fainted and said quick prayers.
   All this, as the shockwave hit them and knocked the majority of them over. Smacked them hard in their chests and stole the air from their lungs. And the debris showered down on them.

One moment, everything was quiet.
   The next, Torjus was blown clear off of Sledge. Even the front wheels of the carriage were lifted from the ground momentarily before slamming back down.
   Torjus hit the street hard.
   He felt blood. Leaking from his ears. His nose. His mouth.
   He couldn't hear anything.
   And a plume of dust swallowed him.

The shockwave bowled the unprepared Sharon over, knocking the pistols from her hands and her body straight to the ground.
   A painful ringing in her ears, drowning out much of the world.
   And a plume of a dust and dirt, channeled down the alley by the buildings, rushed toward her.
   "Shit!" she said, rolling over onto her stomach and covering her head.
   The plume washed over her, turning day into night for a short, terrifying moment.
   Sharon stood, coughing and wheezing harshly. The dust was everywhere. In her ears. Her nose. Her eyes. Her hair. Her mouth. Her throat. The very pores of her skin.
   The entire alley was hazy with it, as if a fog made entirely of dust had descended on Reajh. She could barely see beyond arm's length. The smoke bombs would be redundant.
   So she dropped the satchel. Pulled up the scarf to her nose to mask her face.
   And ran as fast as she could.
   Limited time. To get to the carriage and get Michael out in the chaos and confusion.
   If he was even still alive after that.

Thunder. In the distance.
   And the glasses and mugs and tables and chairs and walls and the floor itself rattled. Murmurs from the patrons.
   Merissa glanced at Volkhard.
   Mounting concern sinking into her expression.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Volkhard snorted, but said nothing. He then suddenly got up, grabbing his shield, he fitted it onto his left hand before grabbing his great mace.

"Looks like a storms a coming, better go before it starts raining." Volkhard said, now looking at Melissa. "If she comes back alive, well....better make sure she doesn't get herself killed."

Volkhard turned to leave, stopping at the door way to turn around at Melissa and give her a two finger salute. "Take care of yourself lassy." Before he was gone out the door.
This...this was...what he should of expected.

Otto could of turned and left, ignored the entire thing and let things play it's course.

But he couldn't shake the feeling that this, was wrong.

Otto grabbed somthing from his quote, then leaped over the ledge, turning around and threw somthing. It was his grappling hook. As it caught onto somthing, Otto slid and swung down to ground level, before unhooking it and catching it.

Otto was in an ally, running out into the confusion. He saw the dust and smoke was advancing onto the panicking crowed. It was plain for him what was going on, he began to flow against the crowed and towards the smoke. He had a mental image of where the cart was before the explosion, and moved for it as he himswas of disappeared into the smoke...

Valtxr

Everything hurt.
   Torjus tried to push himself up to his hands and knees. His arms and legs trembled and gave out. The taste of blood in his mouth.
   To his left, he saw his mount Sledge laying on his side. Flopping around in a frantic, hopeless panic. The horse's two front legs severed at the knees. Ragged flesh and muscle hanging.
   To his right, he saw the carriage through the haze. The windows on the door blown out. Shattered glass on the street. Blood seeping down the door from the broken window.
   Torjus tried crawling.
   Putting one arm in front of the other.
   He dragged his body an inch forward.
   And then he saw her boots. Right in front of him.
   Torjus looked up. And the dust revealed a masked woman. Reddish-orange hair. Blue eyes staring down at him.
   Their eyes met.
   Torjus saw a flash of surprise. But it disappeared quickly. Gave way to something far more predatory. A brief look of dominance. Of enjoyment.
   The woman pulled out a pistol and shot him in the side of his head, the bullet penetrating his helmet.
   Blackness.

Sharon holstered the pistol.
   He saw her. She had to do it. It didn't matter how she felt about it. So much more was at stake.
   Sharon threw open the door and grabbed the handle on the side of the carriage and put her foot on the step and hoisted herself up and looked inside.
   "Oh...f-fuck."
   Emogene was dead. A piece of wood had impaled her through the gut from behind. The baby in her arms bled from the ears and nose, but was alive and crying and wailing desperately. A six-year-old girl, the daughter, was unconscious on the floor of the carriage. And Michael, sitting across from his dead wife, coughed and coughed and wiped at his dirty face. A stream of blood from his nose, a trickle from his ears. His wife's blood splattered on his clothes.
   Strathus had said that he'd be traveling with his family. But the thought never truly registered in Sharon's mind. She thought only of Michael to the point that she had blocked out the very notion that he wouldn't be alone in the carriage.
   But it was too late. Sharon couldn't undo what she had done. Surely, the first few people arriving to the scene would help the baby and girl. They would be fine. Of course they would.
   All Sharon could do was complete her task.
   "Michael!" she yelled. It was the only way she could even hear herself over the intense ringing in her ears. "I'm here to get you out!"
   "I can't see!" He replied. "I can't see anything! Emogene! Kate! Where are you?"
   "Take my hand! We're going to a safehouse! Now! Let's go!"
   Sharon helped Michael out of the carriage.
   "My wife! My daugh—!"
   "They're right behind us! Now run! Run!"
   Sharon started running, essentially pulling Michael along by the hand as the man staggered and stumbled and tried as hard as he could to keep up as he wheezed and coughed and gasped for breath.
   The dusty haze wouldn't last for much longer. And Sharon needed to get away before anyone else spotted her. Less complicated that way. Less lies to tell. A quicker, cleaner getaway.
   She made a quick turn down the alley that she had made the shot from.
   And ran, with Michael in tow.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

*Bam*

Otto's head turned at the sound, and began moving for it as the shot was still echoing.

It didn't take him long to arrive at the ambush scene, running up, he paused a moment to scan the scene.

The first thing he spotted was a body of a what looked like a knight. He moved closer and crouched down next to the body, a quick inspection revealed that he was shot through the head. It was then Otto remembered that the women he had been following was armed with a pistol, so it was pretty obvious she was here. Otto then began to inspect the entrance of the bullet, and retraced it. It was a bit hard to see, but he could make out a vague alleyway. Must of been where she came from.

Otto got up, still looking at the alleyway, before he realised something. He looked over to the scene again, and saw where the smoke was pouring from. That's where the explosion must of happen, and she was right there when...

Waaah!

When Otto heard that sound, he froze where he stood. That couldn't be....

Waaaaaah!

No

Waaah!

No

Waaaaah!

No!

Waaah!

Noo!

One minute he was standing in the middle of streets filled with smoke, the next minute he was alone, standing on that highway, in front of him was a carriage, and within it, the corpses of th-

No!

It was too much, so much so that it caused Otto to fall to one knee, clutching his head as he remembered every detail of that night.

Not again!

Not again

Waaaaah

The sound the baby snapped Otto out of his trans, his focus was now on the carriage.

He dashed forward and peered in, his heart sank when he saw the women, it was obvious she didn't make it.

But then his attention was grabbed by the baby, who was still conscious. He stepped in, but then realized that there was a young girl on the floor, couldn't be more then 6, 7 years old. He stepped over, his pounding as he reached over to feel a pulse, a bit a relief washed over when he realized that she was still breathing.

But then it was the matter of the baby, he looked up and to his horror the baby was bleeding. Quickly, he grabbed a knife from his pocket, moving for the women, he sliced off a long piece of fabric from her dress. She was dead now, but he might be able to save her son.

Otto then turned to the boy, reaching out, he gently grabbed the boy's arm, trying to move it away from the eyes. Otto's arms were shaking, but he was too focus on the boy to tell.

Valtxr

The curling cloud of smoke and dust drifted with the wind.
   The body of the guard sergeant who had been driving the carriage. Dead on the street. One of the Corporals dead next to him. The two other Corporals, both heavily wounded and unconscious, one slowly bleeding out. Torjus, the bullet slowed enough by his helmet to protect his skull from being penetrated, had nevertheless slipped into a coma. All the horses were now dead.
   Kate on the floor of the carriage, unconscious.
   The baby boy, wailing.
   And the nearest guards a minute away from the scene.

"Where's Siro?" Merissa said as soon as she opened the front door to her home.
   Her son, Niko, looked up from his chores in the kitchen. "She's in my room. Reading her books."
   Merissa walked across the living room and past the kitchen and down the hallway to Niko's room. Opened the door. Siro was lying on Niko's bed, on her stomach with her knees bent and her feet in the air, and open book before her.
   "Hi, Nana," she said.
   Merissa looked at her, this girl who for all intent and purposes was her granddaughter. This girl who was nothing like her sister.
   "Hello, sweetheart," Merissa said as she came forward and sat down on the bed. "Which book are you reading now?"
   "Tales from the Thunderblacks," she said with a big smile. "Did you know that dragons live there? Real, living dragons in the mountains."
   "Sounds fantastic." Merissa leaned in some. "Siro, do you remember that one book you told me about? Some two months ago? The one about Adela?"
   "Histories of Adela? Sure I do."
   "And Sanctuary? The Healer's College?"
   "Of course, Nana. Why do you ask?"
   Merissa smiled, her true intentions like a dagger through her heart. "How would you like to visit there? Perhaps sometime soon?"

"In here. Hurry."
   Sharon opened the door to Fallah's Remedies. Gestured for Michael to enter, the man having  slowly regained his vision in the run back to the apothecary shop. Michael went inside, and Sharon followed, closing the door behind herself.
   Upon seeing them, Fallah moved from the front counter and opened the door to the back room.
   "Where's Emogene? Kate? My baby Nolan?"
   "They'll be here soon," Sharon said. "Other agents of Ansgar's Hand arrived on the scene after me. They're taking them here as well."
   Michael glanced around the shop. At Fallah. At Lenius, her assistant. And back at Sharon.
   "I-I want to see them," he said. "I'm not going anywhere else until I do!"
   Sharon looked over shoulder. Out the shop window at the street. Nobody looking to come into the shop. Nobody really paying attention. Hardly anybody on the street.
   She drew her reserve pistol and tossed it into her right hand and aimed it at Michael's head.
   "You're going to want to start walking now."
   Michael gasped, and his arms went up in surrender. "Who...who are you? Really?"
   "Walk. Into the back room. Now."

Down into Strathus' lair.
   And Michael seemed to realize exactly where he was once Fallah had placed her hand on the heavy iron door. Sharon could hear it in his sporadic breathing.
   The sorcerer turned from the altar once Sharon, Fallah, and Michael entered.
   "My son," Strathus said, extended a hand forward and pointing his palm at him. "At last, you have found your way back to me."
   "Ansgar, no! No! Help me! Help—!"
   A magical force pulled Michael forward, right in front of his father. Then ice burst from the ground and encased Michael's entire body, freezing him solid.
   Sharon didn't flinch. She merely watched with apathy.
   And Strathus looked to Sharon. A pleased look in his eye. "You have upheld your end of the bargain. And so shall I. Return to me with your friend. And I shall transfer this curse unto my son."

Sharon stepped outside Fallah's Remedies. Onto the street outside. The scarf gone from her neck—returned to Fallah. She glanced up at the sky. The waning afternoon. The tired sun, trying to give way to the early evening. Trying to retreat behind a small patch of clouds.
   She wiped at the dust and dirt stuck to her face.
   And she slowly pulled her hands away. Looked at them. Her palms. Her curled fingers.
   They weren't shaking. Despite what she had done, they weren't trembling in the slightest. If they had been at some point, they were no longer.
   Only a rush of excitement. For pulling off the impossible. For doing what she needed to do.
   A sense of accomplishment. Of being in charge of her own fate. Of finally finding something that was in her all along. No longer was she living on the mercy of others. No longer was she trampled underfoot by those above her, those with power.
   Now she had it. A small taste of it. She was the one who wore the boot, not the one whose face was being crushed into the dirt. Now she was the noblewoman who walked the streets, who eyed the beggars groveling at her feet. And her wealth was violence, her currency the power to take and spare lives, her mercy to do so as she saw fit.
   It was intoxicating. Exhilarating.
   And addicting.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

It took him a few minutes to bandage the boy, difficult with the boy struggling and his hands shaking, but the deed was done.

But the boy was still crying, and it was tearing holes through Otto's heart. The man kneeled down on one foot and looked at the boy with eyes that were not dead, but filled with regret.

It was then Otto's ears picked up clanking footsteps, guards! If they caught him here, he would be framed for the entire thing.

He then remembered something from his coat pocket and raised it to the boy. In his hand, he produced a small square item wrapped in paper. Otto unwrapped it, before gently grabbing one of the boy's hands and placing it into his hands. Closing the boys, hands, Otto gave the kid one last look, before he stood up, and barged down the other carriage door with his shoulder.

Otto made his escape with the smoke, down the same ally he had deduced where Sharon came from.

In the boy's hand, was a piece of milk caramel; Otto liked carmel, one of the few things he had enjoyed in his life. It was something that was given to him as a kid, usually out of pity or amusement by the other members of the guild., any time he was anxious he would suck on the sweet caramel. Otto had been saving this particular piece from one of the meals he had earlier in the week. He didn't know if the boy would like it, but it was at least something...

Otto didn't need to second guess where Sharon was going; he KNEW where she was going, but he couldn't go in alone.

As he moved through the allyway, his hand grabbed onto a nearby wanted poster and pulled it...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At a nearby guard station, a guard was on duty. Suddenly a knife impaled itself on a nearby post.

The guard brought down his weapon and looked in the direction of the knife throw, but he saw only busy streets.

He looked over at the knife and realized there was a piece of paper hanging from the knife. He moved to see what it was, scribbled roughly on it was the words "Mages at Fallah's Remedies"
The door to the pharmacy was kicked open with great might, from the doorway came the man who had came in earlier, the man with the scarf, and he did not looked pleased. The dead eyes he had before were replaced with those of demons.

He didn't waste any time stride over with powerful step, taking out a pistol and pointing it at the head of Fallah from before.

"Where is he." The man said, in gravelly voice that mixed anger and command into one.

Valtxr

Fallah's eyes went wide as soon as the door burst open. Lenius, glancing up from his work at the table behind the front counter, jumped out of his chair in shock and stumbled back into the wall, a look of fright from the young man.
   Fallah recognized the gunman as she raised her arms up slowly. The masked man from before. Otto, if she remembered correctly. "You son of a bitch. Do your other three friends know? Hmm? That you're nothing but a rat for the Grand Duke?"
   Where is he, the man's sole question. He had to be talking about Strathus. If only she could warn Volkhard and Sharon and Merissa of Otto's betrayal. Then they could deal with him before he exposed more of the rebel cells and the innocent mages in their care.
   But alas, it wouldn't happen. This was the end of the line for her, one way or another. She knew what she had to do.
   She motioned her head toward the door to the back room of the shop. And with a frustrated huff of breath, she said, "He's downstairs. Same place. I'll open the door for you, just don't shoot me. Okay?"

Sharon was walking away from Fallah's Remedies, mingling in with three other commoners on the streets when she heard the thump of a boot on wood behind her.
   A glance over her shoulder back at the shop.
   And the door was open. The flash of someone rushing inside. From her vantage point of walking down the street and further away from the shop, it was nearly impossible to see through the shop window. No idea exactly who it was.
   The clanking of armor.
   A small squad of five guardsmen rounded the corner of an upcoming intersection in the street and jogged past Sharon and the other commoners and toward the shop.
   Sharon looked forward, while the other three commoners briefly watched with a vague interest as the squad of guards ran past.
   Was she too late? Did Michael tell the guards about Strathus before he departed for the Church? Did something else happen?
   Sharon kept walking. Blending in.
   It didn't matter. Strathus was a mage—he'd be fine. Finding him again might prove to be difficult, but it would only amount to some lost time and a minor annoyance.
   The important thing was that she had done what she needed to do. Sharon had the means to rid Jessos of her curse, to prove to Jessos that she was serious about what she intended to do. And, with Jessos' knowledge and experience, she could move forward with her gambit.
   Starting her own drug cartel.
   And slowly, meticulously, she could expand her business while finding out the competition. Expose all the Deegans hiding in Reajh. And kill them. Replace them with underbosses loyal to her, and bring her own brand of order to the criminal underground of the city. A lasting change. One that she would control, atop a throne of her own making.
   But for right now, she just needed to find Jessos.
   And the best way to do that would be to find Jorge.
   Who was most likely at his favorite tavern. The Tipped Hand.
   And Sharon kept walking. Paying no more mind to the happenings inside the apothecary shop.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"This isn't about the Duke or his pity grudge." the man in the scarf said as he kept pointing his pistol at her, arriving at the counter. "Open the door, then you and your friend get the hell out of here. You only have 2 minutes before the guards show up or I blow your brains out, and I don't think I need to explain to you what happens if your still here when they do."

Valtxr

Her hands still held up above her head, Fallah said, "Okay, okay." She walked to the back room door, pushed it open with one hand, and glanced at her assistant. "Just stay calm, Lenius."
   Lenius nodded. Stood still by the wall behind the counter. His eyes darting between Fallah and Otto.
   Fallah entered the back room. Pressed the device inside the barrel to reveal the trap door. Opened it up. Did all of this slowly, without making any sudden moves.
   She descended the ladder down into the dark landing. The dark blue runes on the walls of the small room the only light.
   Fallah stepped forward. Toward the thick iron door. Reached out with her right arm.
   Then jerked her hand toward the wall instead. Touched one of the blue runes. Yelled frantically into it, "Strathus! Guards! Run!"
   Fallah turned around to face Otto. Her hands back into the air. Ready to die for her cause.

The Tipped Hand. A ratty little tavern in a bad part of the city. Sharon hated it, which probably explained why Jorge loved it. They were polar opposites. Hardly saw eye-to-eye on anything. But, despite her misgivings and lingering grudge against Jorge, she still needed his help.
   The late afternoon sun had sunk low after the long walk from Fallah's Remedies. Not quite night yet, but the light was fading.
   Sharon pushed open the door to the tavern and stepped inside.
   The fireplace was lit. A lantern hanging from the ceiling. But all the tables were empty. The place was deserted, save for the bartender and Jorge and his friend Lonergan all sitting at the counter together.
   The three of them looked up from their drinks when the door opened. The bartender didn't seem to care all that much, Lonergan looked somewhat surprised to see an actual woman here, and Jorge muttered a low, "Fuck..." under his breath.
   "Jorge," Sharon said as she walked closer to the counter.
   A moment for him to respond. "Sharon."
   She crossed her arms and leaned over onto the counter. Took a second to glance around. "Seems lively in here."
   "Had a murder earlier today," said the bartender in a flat tone. "That, and some kind of explosion near the Church of Ansgar's Eternal Glory. Bad for business. Anyhow, you want a drink, lass?"
   Sharon shrugged. "Sure."
   "What'll ya have?" The bartender asked as he got up from his seat and walked around to the other side of the counter.
   Sharon nodded toward Jorge. "Whatever swill he's drinking. He's gonna be paying for it."
   Lonergan chuckled. No mirth in the sound. "You really need to find better friends, Jorge."
   Sharon looked at Jorge. Tilted her head to the side to get a better look at his face. His mask was down around his neck, and she could clearly see that something was bothering him.
   Regardless, she said, "I need you to do something for me, Jorge."
   His eyes flicked over in her direction. "Yeah...?"
   "I need you to go get Jessos for me. It's important."
   Lonergan glanced at Jorge. Jorge glanced back at Lonergan.
   The bartender set a mug of ale down in front of Sharon.
   A long moment.
   Then Jorge said in a low, defeated voice, "Jessos is dead, love..."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Otto hopped down after Fallah, his gun was still out and pointed. But when she yelled what she did, Otto said in a voice that could be described as a voice from hell. "You had your chance..."

Within the blink of an eye, Otto moved for the women and slammed the butt of his weapon into her face.

It was enough force to render her unconscious, he would deal with her later...

Meanwhile he stepped over her body, putting his pistol away as he moved to the iron door. Otto pressed his ear against the iron door. He highly doubted the door would open for him, but he had to get through.

He took a step back, a moment to breath, before he closed his eyes.

Darkness, it was the only thing he could see. Moments later, it was the thing he had became. As the darkness spread into the room that supposedly occupied a father and son...

Valtxr

The small squad of five guards rushed into the apothecary shop through the open front door. One pointed his matchlock rifle at Lenius and commanded, "Stay where you are and don't move!"

Fallah collapsed to the floor in front of the iron door. Out cold.

Magical energy snapped out of existence inside of Strathus' lair. The sorcerer had heeded Fallah's warning without hesitation. He had been expecting the Reajh guard to swarm upon his lair today—Sharon and her cohorts being a stroke of luck—and thus had already prepared his portal spell. A slight concern, that the guard would have had an available Mordecai with them to nullify the spell, but there were other contingencies for that.
   But no Mordecai. The portal spell worked, and Strathus had hurried through it with Michael in tow.
   The portal closed down. Energy dispersing.
   A large block of ice remained in the lair. Hollow with the odd and vague shape of a man on the inside, the front end of it shattered open. Michael's former prison.
   The magical lights at the altar started to fade.

Sharon's right cheek twitched. The skin quivering violently just below the eye. Adrenaline started to build in her body. Her muscles tensed. Her burrows furrowed and her teeth clenched.
   She thought of the carriage. The scene inside. Emogene.
   The little girl.
   Sharon slammed her arms and hands down on the counter. Swept them across the wood in a fury, knocking down all three mugs of ale. The mugs clattered to the floor and spilled ale.
   "FUCK!" Sharon yelled until she ran out of breath and stumbled away from the counter.
   Lonergan, being the closest to her, hopped off of his stool and backed away from her. Standing such that Jorge was between him and her.
   Jorge stayed seated in his stool. Just stared, a bit of fright in him. He'd never seen Sharon like this.
   The bartender stood still. Apprehensive. Wondering if there'd be yet another incident today.
   Sharon pinched her eyes shut. Twisted her head down and to the left. Her voice still trembling with anger. "What happened?"
   "Jessos was murdered," Jorge said. "I saw it. Some...weird boy with horns and long black hair. Mage or somethin'. Fuckin' broke the curse thing on her chest, and that magic just..." He shook his head. "I buried her clothes outside the city. I seem to be doin' a lot of that lately. Buryin' good people."
   Sharon rubbed her forehead with a hand. Ran her fingers down the bridge of her nose and squeezed hard.
   Nothing. Her ambush on Michael's carriage was for nothing. Volkhard and Otto and Merissa were right. She shouldn't have done it.
   But she couldn't give up. Couldn't allow herself to be deterred. Sharon was at a major loss without Jessos, but there had to be another way. A slower way, a way undoubtedly fraught with peril and naive mistakes, but a way. Sharon just needed to bide her time, come up with a revised plan. Go on more jobs, watch and observe. Look for weaknesses and opportunities in Mr. Winters' operations to exploit. It was all Sharon knew, her small piece in Mr. Winters' big slice of the criminal underworld, and so, despite how dangerous it would be, she now had no choice but to start here.
   "Jorge. Listen to me," she said as she stepped forward to the counter again and placed her hands down on it. "You're going to help me out with something. You owe me."
   "For what?"
   "For telling Siro about my job, you fucking asshole! You think I forgot? I trusted you to watch her for a few hours, a few hours, and you go and do exactly what I told you not to do? You're a real piece of work, Jorge, you know that? So you're damn right you fucking owe me for that."
   "Sorry, love." He wasn't in much of a mood to argue. Not after seeing one of his best friends murdered earlier in the day. "Alright, whaddoya need?"
   "We're going to do something dangerous."
   The bartender and Lonergan glanced at each other.
   "And what's that?" Jorge asked.
   Sharon narrowed her eyes. "We're going to kill someone we're not supposed to."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

From the shadows leaped a man, in one hand he held a knife while the other hand was reaching out, as if to grab the light at the alter.

Otto had no idea how late he was, some people were without a mother tonight, and it had been partly his fault...dammit if he didn't at least try to reach him...