Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Storm [M][DragonSong]

Started by Lowen Thorn, April 23, 2018, 06:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

He didn't reply right away, and instead continued to stare absently out of the little coach's window. Ilia didn't understood the level of hatred that burned in his chest, the commitment, the motivation, and the determination that pushed him through the hard days and the harder days. He would never be the person he was suppose to be, and he had come to terms with that.

He had really devoted his entire life to his cause, so there was never much room for friendship or anything like that.

"I.. don't know," he replied honestly. "Should it?"

DragonSong

She shrugged, still not looking at him. "I should think it would bother most people," she replied quietly.

It bothered her. She'd had a few friends in Connlaoth, but none that were more than really surface acquaintances: say hello at the right events, occasionally call for tea or a walk through one of the city parks, but that was it. She knew why it had to be that way, but it had always bothered her.

When no more words were forthcoming, Varyyn murmured into the increasingly awkward silence, "Perhaps the two of you would prefer if I rode with the driver?"

Ilia started slightly, as though she'd forgotten he was there, and finally turned her gaze from the window to look at her father. She blinked, still feeling rather...vague. "Oh. What? Why?"

Lowen Thorn

Varryn's sneaking into their conversation brought him back to the coach. At least, more mentally than he felt he was before. "No," he added quickly on top of Ilia's response. "That won't be necessary."

DragonSong

The demidemon glanced between the two of them, looking rather unconvinced, but he just shrugged and murmured, "Suit yourselves then," and settled back in his seat.

Ilia watched him for a moment, then let her head rest against the side of the coach again with a quiet sigh. "I'm tired," she murmured. She had no reason to be, she'd done almost nothing but ride in silence for the better part of a day and half, but she was.

Lowen Thorn

His eyes fell on Ilia for a moment and decided to let her be.

He then looked back to Varryn. "Is it going to be a problem if I continue my work?" he asked. He really didn't want to bring it up, but it felt it necessary.

DragonSong

Relieved despite himself for the change in topic, Varyyn replied, "As long as Ilia is kept hidden from demons and their servants, I believe you should be allowed to continue your life as you see fit, Lola."

Ilia shifted slightly in her seat and Twyla grumbled in complaint, jumping down from her lap to begin exploring the floor of the coach.

Lowen Thorn

He shook his head quickly. "I wouldn't dream of putting any of you in any more danger," he said sincerely. "I can't help but think if it weren't for me.. You would have never had come with me if I had never come here, and.."

He couldn't finish what he was trying to say. He closed his eyes for a moment and swallowed guilt.

"The men I am after are not demons," he said suddenly. "They're just cowards."

DragonSong

Ilia still didn't look at him, her eyes focused loosely on the slowly changing scenery outside the window.

But she reached over and took his hand silently, twining their fingers together and giving a quick, soft squeeze.

Varyyn arched an eyebrow but decided not to comment, patting his lap gently for Twyla to jump up into, which she did with a loud purr. "As I said; you should live your life as you always have. We will endeavor to be as little a distraction as possible."

Lowen Thorn

Good. Great. It was settled then. Lola would continue his moonlighting affairs and would at all costs keep any and all attention off of his soon-to-be wife and father-in-law.

He nodded, let out a sigh, and leaned back in the coach. He wasn't tired, but he wasn't up to continue the conversation. He gave Ilia and Varryn the pieces they needed to know before arriving at his manor, and anything else that may arise he could fill them in along the way. They had a long trip ahead.

DragonSong

Varyyn leaned back in his own seat with a quiet sigh, allowing his eyes to close for a few moments. "You should both rest," he murmured, seemingly speaking to the roof of the coach. In his lap, Twyla paced a few small circles until she'd gotten comfortable and lay down again.

Ilia made a small, noncommittal noise of vague agreement. She still felt listless, adrift. She wasn't sure she'd actually be able to sleep, much as she wanted to.

Lowen Thorn

Lola nodded in agreement. "I'll just need to see to the others," he said under his breath. "Make sure they don't miss me too much."

His eyes flashed for the briefest moment, and then rolled to the back of his head, a pure display of white as he concentrated on extending the glamour on the coach ahead of them.

DragonSong

Eyes still closed, Varyyn twitched slightly as he felt the shift of magic in the air.

Ilia's reaction was decidedly more pronounced, a ripple running through her whole body. She stiffened, straightening up and looking around instinctively, as though she didn't know where the feeling was coming from.

That was...not right. Was it? Her own magical gift stemmed pretty much entirely from blood rites and rituals, she shouldn't be that sensitive to shifts in magical energy.

Lowen Thorn

The rest of that day's journey went more or less the same. Little conversation, weariness, and Lola's eyes at the back of his skull. He didn't want to ride with the others, but he had to keep them under his control. He should probably rest soon from what he was doing, but the exhaustion didn't come. Normally pulling something like that, to that many, at that distance, would utterly render him useless by nightfall.

Not now. He was... stronger. He couldn't explain it, but he didn't mind it.

He finally broke his concentration as he was confident he bought them the rest of the night without them worrying about Theodore. "I miss anything?" he asked, casually looking over to his company.

DragonSong

Varyyn opened one eye to look at him in silence for a long moment. Eventually, he answered, "No. You've expended quite a bit of magical energy though. Perhaps you should rest?"

Ilia shifted a little in the seat beside Lola, feeling as though she wasn't quite....quite settled in her body. And was...tired. More tired than she had any reason to be, but the weariness felt distant...

Strange.

Lowen Thorn

Lola really wasn't tired at all. It was unusual for him to be able to extend that much energy and not be the slightest bit faint.

He didn't think about it more than that, though. He would be tired soon enough, he thought. "Yeah, I should at least try before I wear myself out beyond repair," he said almost sheepishly.

He let his head lean back against his seat and closed his eyes. Wide awake.

DragonSong

Varyyn frowned. There was a flow of energy, almost a circuit, in the coach. Perhaps it had been there for a while, but it hadn't really been clear before.

Ilia was almost instantly asleep while Lola was bright eyed. He could feel her inherent power flagging while his hardly seemed to need recovery from that massive spell.

Well. That...should probably be addressed soon.

Perhaps when they reached their destination. It would make sense to sit down and talk to them about it once they had some time.

Lowen Thorn

The trip took a near month before they reached their destination. All things considered, Lola's legs should have been stiff and his back sore from all of the sitting they had to do to make the best time possible, yet somehow he felt better than he had his entire life.

He felt stronger, more alert, more capable - complete control over his abilities. Ilia, on the other hand, seemed tired practically all of the time. A sneaky suspicion told him it was his own doing, that somehow they became connected in more ways than one back in the demon realm, and it wasn't long before he opted to rejoin his group in the first coach so there would be less of a strain on his magic.

He couldn't be sure if that was it, but he didn't want to risk it any further.

They arrived at his two-story manor in the middle just as night fell, and Theodore stepped out into the crisp cool air with excitement and purpose.

"Finally!"

Finally.

DragonSong

"I believe we have arrived."

Ilia was brought to consciousness by her father's soft voice and his hand on her shoulder. She yawned, blinking blearily. Gods, she'd just been so tired, even though all they'd done the last few weeks was sit in a carriage..

"...Is it going to kill me?" she asked softly, staring up at Varyyn while Lola's voice rang out clear outside the coach.

Varyyn stilled. Then, quietly: "Not if I have anything to say about it."

She nodded once, not quite believing him, and allowed him to slip an arm around her waist to help her out of the coach and onto the ground. Twyla came bounding after, twining around her legs.

"So." Ilia looked up at the manor, face pale and drawn. She tried for something like a smile, but thought she only managed a twitch of her lips. "Home then, I suppose."

Lowen Thorn

"That's right, my dear," Theodore said proudly as he strode over to her. "Home."

He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, but then pulled back and concern filled his eyes. "Oh, but Charlotte, you look so pale!" He let the back of his hand touch her forehead as if checking her for illness, and then frowned. "Come inside, please. Both of you. That long journey could wear anyone out. Get some rest and I'll have them prepare some food for you."

He took Charlotte's arm and slowly led her to the entrance where Tommy awaited.

"Master Alcott," he greeted them with a warm, professional smile. "Welcome back, m'lord."

Theodore removed his arm from Charlotte's long enough to throw the butler a quick hug and a pat on the back before returning to her. "Tommy, just Theodore is fine," he said. "You know that."

Tommy nodded, but he would never oblige. He looked at the two guests, but Theodore spoke again before he could get another word out.

"This is my beautiful bride-to-be and her loving father, Tommy. But do you mind if we do the proper introductions later? They're both very tired."

"Of course, m'lord."

Tommy led them into the living quarters.

DragonSong

"Charlotte" did her best to smile and nod as she was led into the manor, and tried not to show exactly how weak on her feet she really was.

Varyyn watched her every movement like a hawk, even as he turned back to the coach to begin unloading the few boxes and bags that they had brought with them.

Then they were introduced to Tommy, led into the living quarters, and Fredrick suddenly made his appearance, smiling at Theodore and saying jovially, "I should think a nice cup of tea may be in order, don't you? Just the three of us, have a chat before we settle in."

His eyes flashed once, meaningfully, and he shot a brief glance to where Ilia still clung to Lola's arm, essentially using him as a crutch to keep herself upright at this point.