Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All that Glitters

Started by DragonSong, June 22, 2018, 01:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Mm...that's true enough." The siren tilted her head this way and that, trying to look at the map from different angles, as though that might help her decipher these clues.

When Kasim asked for the amulet, she snapped her eyes to him, tension settling into her body. Her hand tightened on the pendant; that pretty bit of sparkle was her insurance, her lifeline. While she didn't really think Kasim or anyone on his crew would hurt her, it paid to be cautious.

If she gave him the amulet, he wouldn't need her anymore.

A dozen thoughts spiraled behind her eyes, an internal war. Then, slowly, she extended her hand and let the necklace fall into his open palm.

Paladienne

Kasim waited for her to release the pendant before he drew it closer to him. He understood her reluctance; this piece of jewelry was hers, rightfully found - or taken - and he would be loathe to give up something that could very well mean her life. But he'd made her a promise, and he would never go back on his word. He'd offered her his protection, and that meant he would protect her, even from himself.

So, in full view of Morgana, Kasim shifted to set the pendant on the map and began to line it up with the drawing. As soon as he had it set, the puzzle piece seemed to fit into his mind as his eyes picked up the subtle nuances of the drawing and the necklace together.

"Look," he said, pointing to the amulet and the drawing, "see how they compliment each other? They're mirror images of each other. So if I do this..." Reaching out, Kasim turned the pendant until the two images matched each other, forming a pointing compass northeast, along with matching the gemstones of the amulet to the drawings of what, before, had seemed like innocuous decorations but now were clearly islands. "Now we have a direction!"

Grinning, Kasim pushed away from the map and slid the amulet back over to Morgana. He quickly bounded over to the helm and called out, "We're away, boys and girls! Full speed ahead!"

DragonSong

The siren's eyes widened slightly, impressed despite herself. Then Kasim was racing for the helm and she found herself following after, throwing the amulet back around her neck.

"Where exactly are we going?" she demanded, unthinkingly grabbing for his arm. She'd gotten a good enough look at the map to know their general heading was "northeast", but she hadn't really seen more than that.

Paladienne

He laughed at her question, not caring in the slightest that she grabbed for him. Her touch sobered his enthusiasm, though, and he looked at her, still smiling, his eyes still sparkling with excitement. "That's the adventure, isn't it? Following the map and the clues, whether you know what's lying ahead or not? The unknown is exciting and challenging, and you never know what you'll encounter when you're roving around."

He sobered though, because he understood her fear and uncertainty. His crew was used to his sudden flights of fancy and went along with him, knowing that he wouldn't lead them into danger or put their lives at risk, but Morgana didn't know him from an albatross. So, he reached to place his hand over hers, giving her wrist a quick, tight squeeze.

"Northeast, toward the Three Sisters. They're small islands, and the waters between them are shallow and filled with sharp rocks, so most ships avoid them or go around them. There are only a few times a year that the waters are high enough that ships can sail between them without fear of being grounded or having the rocks scrape out the hull. I'm not sure yet if we're going to have to deal with the Ladies, but we'll find out when we get there."

He released her and turned his attention back to the helm, his eyes drifting toward the sails that his crew were unfurling to full sail, increasing their speed as the wind caught in the giant triangles of canvas.

"I won't let anything happen to you, Morgana, I promise."

DragonSong

She stared up into his face for a few moments, eerily silent. Then her hand drew back and she tossed her hair, looking out over the bow of the ship toward the horizon.

"I can take care of myself," she replied primly, sharp teeth flashing in a dangerous smirk. But then her expression softened slightly and she added, "Though...the gesture is appreciated, Bold One."

Paladienne

Kasim smirked but he didn't refute her words. He didn't doubt that she could take care of herself, just as he didn't doubt that she would do whatever it took to make sure that she got the better end of this deal. He didn't mind that so much. He'd rather have the adventure than the riches, although the riches did help pay for things that he needed to go on the aforementioned adventure. But the riches weren't important.

He returned his hand to the helm and his attention to the open waters rather than on the beautiful siren standing beside him. "You know, if you want to, you can go explore the ship on your own. You know where all the important things are if you need them."

Kasim lifted an arm and pointed, high into the air where the crow's nest was. "You could go up there and see around for miles. Not that there's much to see. Anyone up there, though, has the responsibility of calling out approaching ships or land. It's a very important task."

DragonSong

Morgana tilted her head back to where he was pointing, narrowing her eyes with a soft hiss against the brightness of moon and starlight unfiltered by the ocean's depths.

"How do you get up there?" she inquired, one eyebrow creeping up toward her hairline. "Do landwalkers truly climb like monkeys? I thought that was just a story."

Paladienne

Kasim laughed. "Landwalkers can do all sorts of things. But we don't actually climb like monkeys. They're much more skilled at that than we are. Here, I'll show you."

Calling for one of his crew, he handed the helm and the heading off to the woman that joined them. She gave Morgana a cursory stare, examining her from head to toe, but she said nothing as she took over for Kasim. Once he was free of the helm, he led Morgana down to the middle deck of the ship and to the rigging there. Reaching up, he curled his fingers around the netting of thick rope and turned his attention back to her.

"It's pretty easy," Kasim said. "But it takes some getting used to. Because the ship itself is moving, you have to compensate for your own movements and the movements of the ocean. You don't want to accidentally get thrown off, right?"

He took hold of the rope with both hands and swung himself up onto the rail, balancing there as he turned his body over onto the rigging. Then, hand over hand, he began to climb, pausing halfway to look down at Morgana. "Did you want to come up?"

DragonSong

Morgana gave the sailor looking her over a stare of her own, raising an eyebrow. She didn't pay it much more attention than that though, turning to follow Kasim.

Her eyes widened just slightly as she watched him swing up into the rigging. "Um..."

Um. Did she really just say um?! Stars!

Glowering, the siren gritted her teeth and nodded firmly, marching up to grab ahold of the ropes and starting to climb hand over hand. There was really no comparable activity in the sea, and she felt, for perhaps the first time in her life...awkward.

Paladienne

Kasim did his best not to laugh at the look on Morgana's face. He wouldn't say that she looked terrified, but that she looked uncertain. That was his fault, really. He was the one pushing her into experiences that she had never had before, and that wasn't really fair. Yet, how did one entertain a siren? Especially on a ship that contained the very things that were her favorite food? He didn't know. But he also didn't want to come right out and ask her and seem nosy about it all. She had secrets that she wanted to keep, and it wasn't his place to bring them out of her.

Kasim gave her a gentle smile and reached back to help her climb up the rope. He grasped her wrist and gently pulled her up to him, hooking his arm in the rope to stabilize himself while he helped her. As soon as she was beside him, he grinned at her, proud that she had come so far despite her uneasiness.

"See? Not so bad." Kasim said. "You keep going. I'll be right behind you. I promise, I won't let you fall."

DragonSong

Despite every instinct and really who she was, when Kasim grabbed her hand to help her up the rigging and practically flung herself into his grip, trembling slightly as she looked down at the water far, far below.

When he told her to go on ahead, she quickly tried to school any of the fear out of her expression. "Right. Of course."

You'd better not let me fall, or your crew will be watching me pick you out of my teeth. She kept that particular thought to herself and kept climbing, brow set with determination.

Paladienne

Kasim smiled, knowing that she was quite irate with him. He would be too, if someone had dragged him into something that frightened him and then encouraged him to keep going. But he meant what he'd said; he wouldn't let her fall. So as she climbed, so did he, behind her and close enough that he could catch her if she slipped or seemed like she was going to fall. He would catch her and keep her steady and safe until she could regain her grip.

Finally, they reached the crow's nest, and Kasim followed her through the opening into the round basket made of solid wood and netting. Once there, Kasim nodded to the lookout, and the boy quickly left them, sliding down the ropes with envious ease.

Alone with Morgana, he picked up a rope and tied it around her waist. "This is so you don't get tossed out if the ship hits a rough patch of water or gets broadsided by a wave."

Finishing tying the knot and showing her how to release the knot and tie it back on herself, Kasim wrapped another rope around his own waist to hold him in place. Then he stepped to the edge of the basket, gripped it with his hands, and stared out over the night-lit waters, smiling.

"Look around." he said. "This is my world. There's no where else I'd rather be, than out on the open water, under the stars and moon."

DragonSong

Morana held very still as Kasim tied the rope around her waist, not quite sure how she felt about him being so close to her when she was decidedly not in control of the situation.

She did her best not to let that show in her face, and tossed her hair when he backed away, fiddling idly with the knot. Her head tilted slightly as he stood at the edge of the basket, and after a long moment of consideration she moved forward to stand beside him.

"It's lovely," she admitted quietly after a long moment, looking out over the water. Glancing at him sidelong, she added slowly, "But...don't you ever wish you could experience just that? Just sea and stars, for miles. No ship. No crew. Just...open water. Silver moonlight."

Paladienne

He smiled at her, his head canting to one side. "I have, once. Before I had this ship and before I had this crew. But I was alone. And being alone was a terrible thing, because I had no one I could trust, no one I could turn to. I was on my own. I don't know a single person alive who could go through life without some kind of connection to another being."

Kasim looked out onto the rippling, dark waters, watching the waves roll under the moonlight. His smile became more melancholy, and he seemed to become sad. He certainly didn't seem to have qualms about revealing his emotions and thoughts to Morgana, nor did he seem to want to hide anything from her. He wanted her to trust him, even a little bit, despite knowing she could turn on him at any second and devour him.

"I..." Kasim started. He paused, just breathing for a moment, and then he started again. "I was on my own at a young age. I had thought I knew the world, that I knew what I was going to face, that I could handle it with vim and vigor and grace and skill. I was wrong. I was terribly wrong. But I learned the lessons life taught me, and became what life shaped me to be. That doesn't mean I'm not still learning, because I am. But there are answers I have now that I didn't have before, and answers I can give when questions are asked about my future."

He turned his attention to her. "I don't know much about sirens, nor much about you. But, Morgana, do you actually like being alone?"

DragonSong

Her mouth opened, an automatic answer on the tip of her tongue. "Of course--"

The siren paused. Her brow furrowed. Slowly, she looked out over the ocean, lips pursed. Carefully, almost hesitantly, she spoke again. "I do not...dislike it. Being alone. Most of my kind do better on our own, until we find our lifemate." She shrugged, bracing her hands against the edge of the crows' nest and leaning into it slightly. "I sometimes find others, sisters in song. We can travel together for a while. Sing, hunt, laugh, play, protect one another. But sirens are not meant to be together. Not those of my line anyway."

She shrugged again and closed her eyes, just focusing on the feeling of the wind on her face.

Paladienne

Kasim smiled a little and watched her as she spoke. When she closed her eyes and tilted her head back to feel the wind, he turned his attention back to the ocean. "No one can really go through life alone," he said softly, "even if we find ourselves alone for the majority of life. But I would think that it would be incredibly hard to be by yourself all the time, with no one and nothing to talk to. Perhaps it's different for you, but I think most humans would go mad."

He leaned back against the center pole in the crow's nest, sinking down to sit against it, and then cast his gaze toward the starry night sky, tracking their progress by the light of the stars.

"I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have my crew. They're my family. Like you and your sisters, we rely on each other for laughter, for playing, and for protection. If I didn't have them, I probably wouldn't even be alive today. They go along with my insanity, but if they think it's dangerous or that we shouldn't be doing it, they dig their heels in. Nothing I could say or do would change their minds. Most of my crew is older and more experienced than I am, so... there are times I just have to defer to them."

He fell quiet, his eyes still on the skies above. After a moment, he turned his gaze to Morgana again, an easy smile on his face. "Perhaps you just haven't found the place you're meant to be yet."

DragonSong

Morgana glanced at him, turning his words over in her mind. Rather abruptly, she twisted to pull down her sleeve, baring her shoulder and showing the vicious scar that ravaged the back of it, usually hidden by her hair. It...almost looked like a bite mark.

"I got that from my younger sister when I entered her territory without permission," she explained calmly. She twisted again, baring her waist to reveal another scar that dragged down her ribs and over her hip, this one distinctly made by claws. Claws like her own. "That one is from another siren I used to sing with. We fought over prey. I won, but she left her mark."

She sat beside him against the mast, tipping her head back to look at the stars. "My body is littered with these scars, Bold One. And I do not begrudge a single one of them. There are as many different kinds of merfolk as there are landwalkers, but my sisters-- those of my line by blood and by magic-- we are not like others, as I understand it. We are proud, and vicious, and beautiful."

She tilted her head to smile at him gently. "Our lifemates are the only ones we can be close to, really. All others...well. Eventually a fight will arise." She shrugged. "I love my sisters, and I can spend almost a full month with some of them. But I am under no illusions about just who and what I am."

Paladienne

"I see."

Kasim fell silent for a while, his eyes having trailed over her scars with appreciation and understanding. He had scars as well, though he wasn't about to show them all to her. And, moreover, most of his scars weren't on his body but on his soul. After a moment of thinking, Kasim shifted and turned his back to her, lifting his shirt so she could see the white stripes that criss-crossed his back.

"My father gave me these. Where I come from, the manner in which I was born made me a bastard. I had no standing. Still don't. He allowed me to learn how to become a merchant on his ship, and how to care for a ship, but if I did something he didn't like, he'd take out his whip. Or he'd have someone else do it."

He dropped his shirt and turned to look back at her. "Even if we end up fighting, Morgana, I gave you my word that I wouldn't hurt you, and no one on my crew would hurt you. And no one is keeping you here, either. You can leave at any time you wish. It'd be disappointing, don't get me wrong, but I'd deal with it."

DragonSong

Morgana looked away, expression unreadable. "You landwalkers are strange," she decided after several long moments.

With a sharp breath she got to her feet, moving to stand at the edge of the crow's nest again and leaning as far out as she could comfortably manage. She closed her eyes, breathing in the salty air.

Paladienne

Kasim laughed. "I suppose we are. But then, from our perspective, the denizens of the oceans are just as strange."

He watched her, content to let her do as she pleased. So long as she didn't suddenly decide to fall out of the crow's nest or decide to attempt to fly. His gaze turned up to the stars then, able to tell where the ship was going just based on those fiery lights alone.

"We are different from each other," he said somewhat absently, "but we have more in common than each of our kinds care to think."