Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All that Glitters

Started by DragonSong, June 22, 2018, 01:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Mmm?" The siren glanced back over her shoulder at him. "You think so? In what way?"

There was a hint of amusement to her tone. She found this sailor quaint, in a way, and while she wasn't sure she would put any stock in what he said, she was still curious.

Paladienne

"Oh, well," Kasim shrugged. "We both have loyalty to family, in certain ways. We both love our families, whether they're our blood or they're chosen by us. We both have honor. We both have likes and dislikes. We are violently passionate and passionately violent. We fight, we heal, we care, and we live as best we can."

He met her eyes, smiling at her. Kasim hadn't moved from where he sat, his form shadowed by the basket of the crow's nest and yet illuminated by the light of the stars and moon. His eyes sparkled with mischief, and yet his face was completely serious as he spoke.

"The obvious aside, what makes you think we're completely different from each other?" he asked. "What makes you think that we can't find any common ground between us? Certainly we have before, else you wouldn't be here and I'd be your meal."

DragonSong

Ah. She supposed he had her there.

"You may have a point," Morgana conceded with a nod in his direction. "I won't say it is impossible to find common ground between us." Her lips quirked up on one side in amusement. "But...what was it you said? violently passionate and passionately violent?" She tilted her head. "What makes you think those traits will not cause a conflict between us?"

Paladienne

"Oh, they very well might," Kasim said, lifting his shoulders in a shrug. "Or they may be what allow us to find that common ground. But if we have conflict between us, Morgana, I would hope that we could discuss our differences and come to a reasonable decision that benefits the both of us. I kind of like living, and I don't really want stories told about how I ended up in the belly of a siren because I irritated her."

He smiled at her, his teeth flashing in the moonlight. "But I'm not one to just allow stuff to happen, Morgana. I'm going to fight, and I will fight to survive. That's why humans fight in the first place, after all. It isn't to win. It's to survive. And, as I'm sure you can agree, surviving is what we both want to do."

He surged to his feet, but he didn't approach her, didn't crowd her, and did his best to remain as non-threatening as possible. His eyes were deadly serious as he met hers, but his expression was calm and relaxed. "And I made you a promise, remember? I promised you that I wouldn't let any harm come to you, whether from myself, from my crew, or this mad venture we've embarked on together. I don't go back on my word. I'm asking for your trust, Morgana. If you cannot give me that, then we will never get anywhere, and suspicion and fear will drive us until we finally, inevitably, attack one another."

Kasim's expression became more pleasant then, and his eyes once more grew warm. "And I don't particularly want to do that. I'm pretty sure you can kick my ass, and then you'd snack on it."

DragonSong

The siren watched him placidly all the while, but for those who knew the language of a predator it was clear that she hadn't truly let down her guard.

Still, when he finished speaking she just shrugged and looked out over the ocean again. A part of her was genuinely fascinated by the view, the reflection of the stars on the water, the way the swells lapped against the hull of the ship.

But she would never admit that, of course.

"Well of course I could defeat you," she replied blithely with a short toss of her hair. "But I gave my word as well. I will not harm you or your crew, so long as no attempt to harm me is made. Beyond that...I suppose we'll just have to see, won't we?"

Paladienne

She could defeat him, eh? Kasim wasn't too sure about that, but he wasn't going to say that. He didn't want to inadvertently turn her against him, after all. He needed her amulet until it was clear that its purpose had been served, and if he had to be honest with himself, he enjoyed having her as company. She had a view of the world that wasn't one Kasim was used to, and he wanted to learn more about it.

But he hadn't forgotten that she was a siren, and she could leave the ship at any time she pleased. She didn't need a port of call to disembark the ship, after all. So long as she had the ocean surrounding her, she was more at home here than he was.

"I suppose we will." Kasim shrugged and smiled. "Right now, we just have to focus on getting to our destination and safely as possible and make sure nothing terrible befalls us in the meantime. After that, well, will come after that."

He started for the edge of the crow's nest where they had climbed in. "Shall we go down, now? We could bother Cook and see if he'll give us something to eat."

DragonSong

"Mm." Morgana pulled her eyes away from the horizon. "I suppose we should." She shrugged. "I'm not terribly hungry though, I ate just yesterday."

She pushed herself away from the edge of the crows' nest. "I won't object to a descent though. And I'm sure you have work to be doing. You can't simply entertain me all this while, Captain."

Paladienne

"I suppose you're right, but I can try, now can't I?" Kasim grinned at her, then shifted to offer her his hand.

He untied the rope from around both their waists and carefully guided her back over the crow's nest and down onto the netting, then shifted to follow her. Once down safely upon the deck, he gestured.

"Go ahead, make the ship your home. Explore it to your heart's content. If you need me, I'll be at the helm."

DragonSong

The siren paused a moment, then nodded. "I will. Thank you, Captain."

She smiled slightly, keeping her teeth covered, then turned to make her way out over the deck, following along the rail of the ship.

It was...strange, to see the ocean from above. She paused near the bow, looking out over the water placidly.

Paladienne

Kasim watched her go, even as he headed toward the helm, taking back the wheel from his crew member. The woman stood beside him for some time, her arms folded over her chest in a way he knew didn't bode well for him. He just wasn't sure if she were about to cuff him or lecture him, so he settled for giving her an arch look.

"I am the captain of this ship, right?" he asked her, earning a sharp scowl in return. "So I can do what I want, right?"

"You're the captain and you can do what you want," the woman replied slowly, "but you're still young enough that I can take you over my knee and paddle your behind until you can't sit for a week. Are you sure you can trust her?"

"I can trust her to be what she is," Kasim replied, his eyes focusing on Morgana at the bow of the ship, "and I can trust that she'll defend herself if she has to."

"That's not what I mean."

Kasim lifted his shoulders in a shrug. "It doesn't matter now, does it? She's here, we're on our way, and she's our guest, not a prisoner or a pet or anything else. She's free to come and go as she pleases."

The woman was silent for a moment, and then her eyes focused on a figure emerging from belowdecks, a figure that was completely out of place on the ship, dressed in fine robes of silk and adorned in jewels and pearls. Her lip curled in disgust at the sight of the man, but he didn't seem to take notice of her or her captain. So she looked to Kasim and made a sharp gesture instead of speaking.

Kasim nodded, his own face an emotionless mask. The woman by his side would keep an eye on the merchant and Morgana for him, in case the man took a rather inappropriate liking to their new beautiful guest. If the man wanted to be an idiot and take on a Siren, then Morgana could eat him for all Kasim cared. Kasim wouldn't interfere and neither would any of his crew, unless, of course, Morgana decided to have dessert. He knew she wouldn't appreciate any form of rescue, and he'd already warned her about their unwanted guest. As much as he didn't want blood spilled on the deck of his ship, Kasim knew better than to get between a Siren and what she wanted.

DragonSong

Morgana froze, sensing the tension on the ship as this new human came up from belowdecks. She eyed him warily, though she didn't move from her spot by the rail.

She knew these humans were wary of her, she could practically smell it on them. Best not to make any sudden moves for the moment...

Paladienne

The man was Essyrni by birth, with sun-kissed skin and black hair under a turban. His robes were of the finest materials of silk and satin, and jewels encrusted his fingers and ears. Even the belt holding closed his inner robe was inlaid with precious jewels. The fortune such as he wore could feed a village for years, and everyone on board - including the man himself - knew it. Kasim had hated him on sight, but the man hadn't given up the parchment bearing the map without assurances that he would be spared, and if he wasn't allowed to take a portion of the treasure for himself, then he would ensure that Kasim and his crew would be arrested at the next port they put in to. If he died, he claimed that there was a contingency in place to ensure that his killer would be found, even if his body wasn't, and his killer - or killers - would be brought to swift justice. Kasim wasn't sure if he believed the man, but he didn't want to risk it.

He didn't want to risk it if only because, if Kasim chose to toss the man overboard for a long swim to the bottom of the ocean, the man would be tossed naked into the water, and his expensive clothes and jewels would be sold. And those expensive clothes and jewels would be recognized, unless Kasim tried to sell them in a place where he wouldn't get the proper value for them.

The man stalked closer to Morgana, studying her with the same intensity a hawk might study a mouse. He took in her hair, the shape of her face, the shape of her body, the texture of her skin. Everything that made up the Siren, he studied. Except he didn't understand Morgana's true nature, and that would be his downfall.

Kasim wondered if he should stop the man from poking Morgana's temper. Except if Morgana was the one who ended him, then his threats wouldn't hold substance, would they?

"So," said the man, his voice carrying back to Kasim as he addressed Morgana, "what's such a beautiful treasure doing in an awful place like this?"

DragonSong

The siren tilted her head with a slow smirk, staring at the man through half-lidded eyes. "Treasure?"

She laughed, giving a little toss of her hair that sent the silver cascade rippling down her body, drawing attention to the curves of her form. "That is a word I have heard much in these last few hours. I wonder if any of you truly knows what it means?"

Paladienne

The merchant laughed. "Aren't you a clever girl with words?" He approached her slowly, as one might do to a strange dog. His eyes roamed her form, from head to toe and back again, lingering here and there. "There are all kinds of treasures in this world. Physical treasures, spiritual treasures, mental treasures. It all depends on the meaning to the individual."

He stopped within arm's reach of her, his lips curling in a toothy smile. "And I think you're quite the treasure. You're beautiful, a sight to behold after being surrounded by these... urchins... for so long. Truly the gods smile upon me to gift me with such a vision."

He took her hand then, lifted it to his lips and kissed her knuckles. "Pleased I am to meet you."

DragonSong

Oh, this was just too good.

Morgana smiled, careful to keep her sharp teeth covered as she did. She allowed the merchant to hold her hand longer than she would have normally, tilting her head and letting her eyes flutter to half-mast.

"A reciprocal sentiment, I assure you," she murmured. Nodding her head gently, she practically purred, "My name is Morgana. Who, exactly, are you?"

Paladienne

He was smitten with her, that much was clear. Kasim narrowed his eyes as he watched the exchange, wondering if he should intervene. He knew if he did, though, it might just be worth his life. Morgana could take care of herself, and it wasn't like they were anything to each other. She held the key to his treasure, that was all. Besides that, she wasn't some helpless damsel who needed rescuing from every situation she found herself in. She wouldn't appreciate being treated as such, especially when she possessed the ability and wherewithal to defend her own person and her own interests. If she didn't like where this was heading, Kasim figured she'd just eat the man.

The man, who knew nothing of what the captain was thinking, merely smiled again and pressed his lips to her knuckles again before releasing her hand.

"Morgana." The merchant laughed. "What a beautiful name. It suits a beautiful lady such as yourself. I am Raman Adyiih, merchant prince of a small town you've probably never heard of, but in my country, I'm quite famous. What brings you onto this ship of ruffians and brutes? I dare say, they didn't capture you, did they? I can't believe someone like you would be part of a crew such as this."

DragonSong

"Why thank you, sir. You're too kind." Morgana tilted her head again, a briefest flash of danger behind her eyes. "And I appreciate your concern, but I am no captive. I was..." She considered, then settled on, "Stranded, you might say. The captain happened upon me and offered a ride. How could I refuse?"

She chuckled quietly, silver in her voice. "And what exactly brings you here? If you think so little of them, I am surprised that this crew has not simply...left you somewhere."

Paladienne

"Ah, well, that is quite a story."

He approached her, though he was careful to keep at least a proper amount of distance between them, although it was clear he was eyeing her from head to toe and back again, and lingering on certain assets that Morgana possessed. He was quite careful not to do anything that might give her offense, and he smiled at her as if he was happy to indulge her with a tale.

"This captain, as you call him, attacked my ship. He plundered it and killed my crew. If it weren't for the fact that I possessed something he wanted, I might not be alive today." He winked at her, as if he had some grand plan that he was holding onto. "In my travels I came across a treasure map. And I traded this map for my life, and insisted upon being there for its discovery. After all, I deserve it, do I not?"

He shifted to look at the wheel, where Kasim stood watching the exchange. Raman lifted a brow in response to the boy's stare and flashed a bit of his teeth, as if he were enjoying his victory over the captain. Then he turned his attention back to Morgana. "And therefore, here I am. I intend to get my just desserts. If the captain decided to throw me overboard, then he'd never be able to figure out his map, now would he? And if he just left me somewhere, why, I'd ensure that he'd never be able to put in to dock again. I'd ensure that he'd never be able to show his face in populated lands or in any city without a price on his head. I intend to get what I'm due, one way or another."

DragonSong

"A map?" She widened her eyes and leaned forward, casting a glance back over her shoulder as though worried they might be overheard. "A treasure map? My, that is interesting! Are you quite sure that's what it is?"

It was easy enough to tilt her head so she was looking up at him through thick white lashes, leaning forward artfully against the rail so that her new garments clung to her frame. It was just too easy, it almost wasn't fun.

Almost. 

Paladienne

The man grinned, moving closer to Morgana. He wasn't shy about letting his eyes roam her form in the least, ranging from head to toe and back again, lingering on choice spots that would have any other woman blushing and turning from him in shame. That she did not, especially when he was being so obvious about it, made Raman eager to impress her. Clearly the brat captain of this leaky vessel had no claim on this woman, or if he did, he hadn't bothered to take it yet, and so he was free to pursue her as he pleased. She also seemed quite interested in him and in what he had to say, which was something he didn't get from the women on this boat, the few that there were. They looked at him like he was dirt caked on the bottom of their naked feet, but this one, this beauty right here, she clung to his every word with interest. And her beauty certainly helped.

"Oh, I'm quite sure." Raman replied, giving Morgana a conspiratorial wink. "Otherwise the captain would have fed me to the sharks as he did the rest of my crew."

Kasim rolled his eyes and glanced back at the table beside the helm where the treasure map was laid out with his marks from Morgana's necklace. It was true that they'd dumped the dead overboard - why let them rot and bloat in the sun when the denizens of the deep could use the easy meal? - but the rest of the crew that had surrendered had remained on the ship and had sailed it home. It was only this fool who'd elected to stay with the map, claiming that the only way they could find the treasure was if he was with them.

Perhaps Kasim had been a little hasty in his decision. He usually was, when it came to adventure and the chance of seeing and experiencing something he might not ever see or experience in his life. But a promise was a promise and Kasim had promised. Never before had he gone back on his word, even when every fiber in his being screamed for him to, and he wasn't about to start now.

Raman, for his part, was skillfully ignoring the captain, all his attention on the white-haired beauty before him. He had launched into the story of how this dreaded pirate and his crew had attacked his merchant vessel, how they had boarded and killed his crew, and had plundered through his merchandise and riches that he'd worked so hard for until they'd found the map. "At the time, I thought it was just some old mariner's fantasy," Raman said, tapping the side of his nose and grinning, "but I realized that the treasure had to exist. And so I convinced the captain to spare the rest of my crew, and myself, and that I would give him the treasure map only if he split the treasure with me, so that I could recoup my losses. It was only fair."

He reached out then and stroked Morgana's shoulder, his teeth bright in the moonlight as he smiled. "And it seems I have no reason to regret my decision any longer, for you have appeared before my eyes, a veritable goddess."