Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I wasn't fired, I'm RETIRED [wandering_giraffe][M]

Started by Goldie, September 03, 2023, 08:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

@wandering_giraffe

It had already been a long day and it was only just after noon. He had been making his way through the small seaside town of the day, looking for inns and pubs that were typically open for sailors as they passed by and stopped for quick refills.

These small towns weren't your stereotypical small towns though. They were just smaller than the big ports and usually only had a few places for ships to port instead of the dozens of docks in larger areas.

Nikkolai stumped through the busy streets, bumping into passersby both on purpose and by accident, often stepping away with a bag or two of coins that he would be able to use at his next stop.

He looked for the sign with the flying frog. It was his favorite haunt here.

Ah, here it is! he thought as he rounded the corner and the bright green sign came into view. They had the best ale on this whole strip.

Because it was cheap.

"Ah, Nikky!" The man behind the bar called as he openned the door and stepped in, "you'd better be here to settle your debts, son."

"Cornelius!" Nikkolai openned his arms wide in greeting, "My favorite bar keep! Is it possible you got more handsome since I last saw you?"

Cornelius scoffed, "Fat chance ya bastard. It's only been a few hours and you still owe your tab"

"Fret not, friend," he waved a coin purse in front of the man's face before smacking it down on the bar, "I have come to replenish your coffers."

Cornelius glanced down at the intricately embroidered purse before him and raised an eyebrow.

"I see you ogling my fine tastes." Nik grinned.

"Oh aye. This is your purse just like you weren't kicked of your last crew."

"How fuckin dare you." Nik snarled, "I RETIRED from that life. Don't let any arse tell you different. They couldn't handle my taste for beauty." He gestured towards the floral purse on the table, "will you be accepting my payment or not."

Cornelius sighed and scooped up the purse. Nik knew he wouldn't turn down coin, no matter where it might have come from.

"Marvelous!" He grinned, "Now give this retired pir--I mean, privateer, a pint of your finest piss arse ale!"
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

wandering_giraffe

Across the tavern, a certain pirate captain was secretly eyeing Nikkolai. His "I have a taste for beauty" saying grabbed her ear. Intrigued, she leaned across the table to Aikos, a centaur, and her boatswain she had brought ashore. She hit him on the shoulder, eyes sparkling with mischief. "Oi, he seems like he's got a thirst for adventure, whaddya think?" The centaur choked on the ale he had been downing. "Elara! For the love of all that is sane you know not to do that when I'm drinking!" The now annoyed centaur glared at her. "You better be thanking the stars that I'm not a vengeful one," he snarled. Now that his anger had been dissipated, he turned his eyes to where she was looking. "Aye, I agree with your assessment," he agreed, still slightly pissed at Elara. The centaur grinned. "Well, go talk to him." She rolled her eyes. "Ye're walkin' a dangerous line Aikios," but her smile said otherwise. Aikos slightly laughed, and grabbed another pint of ale. "Well thanks for the compliment cap'n."
Elara stood up and walked over to where Nikki was. "Me and my boatswain over there couldn't help but hear that ye're retired." She smiled, and plopped a bag of gold down on the bar.
"Want to come out of retirement? Temporarily, of course."

Goldie

Nik was nose deep in a pint when his revalry was so rudely interrupted. He listened keenly to her words, of course, but didn't let on that he had heard her at all. Instead he slowly chugged the bottom half of his pint before slamming it on the table. His sandy blonde hair hung around his shoulders and tucked behind his ears, but that hadn't stopped a strand from migrating into his face and, naturally, into his mouth.

He sputtered and spit the stand out, "Oy! Corneloos," he slurred, "Yerale is gettin weaker!"

The bar keep eyed him up and shook his head.

"OY!" Nik called again, "That thad lady's....immean MY purseis worth more than-a singular pint"

Cornelius sighed and returned to fill his cup. Nik reached forward and patted the man's hand. "Ya know, Corny, yera good friend. Did I tells you about the siren I caught and married? Was her only true love said so herself she did." He took another gulp of his ale, purposefully avoiding even so much as a glance at the bag of coins the woman had placed down beside him, "Told me, you gotta only love me Nik, but I can't be held to one woman. She sank my ship and all my crew out of spite, but couldn't bring herself to sink me. Ahhhh but that bloody night after all her rage was enough to satisfy me for a bit."

He took another swig and then realized it was, one again, empty.

"OOOOYY! WHATCHA DOIN SKIMPING ME ON ALE! Corny!!!!" He, finally, turned his attention to the woman next to him, "can you a-lieve this guy? I sirened a siren and he can't even fill m'glass."

wandering_giraffe

You could hear a very amused centaur laughing in the background. Elara rolled her eyes.
"Oi! Aikios! Shut up!"
She turned back around to Nikolai.
"You'd get along well with my boatswain, he also is drowning in ale that seems to disappear quickly." She laughed and turned to the bartender.
"Put his tab on Aikios's back there at the corner table." A protest rose up from Aikios.
"Cap'n! That's not—" Elara spun around and glared at him, her silver eyes staring into his. He trailed off, and grouchily knocked another ale back. Elara turned her attention back to the man at the bar.
"Anyways, the pay is pretty good, can't guarantee consistency, but the adventure should make up for it. Our ship, the Midnight Marauder, is leaving soon, mate. If you're interested, I'll be at that table with the obnoxious centaur." She gestured back to the shocked centaur, who chucked an empty ale glass at her.

Goldie

Nik burried his face in his glass and watched his new friend saunter away half through the rim of the glass and half over the top. He stretched out his tongue to lap up some of the newly poured beer.

"Ahhh Serrenia, you will always be my favorite." He sighed into the foam.

"So that story about the Siren. Is that just a tale you like to tell or what?" Cornelius inquired.

Nik chuckled, slipping the coin purse to his left into his tunic. His slight of hand was so deftly trained, the coins didn't even rattle when they moved.

"You know what they say, my friend. If you can't sway them with your intellect, dazzle them with your bull shit." Like magic, his drunken slurs disappeared and he tilted the glass back one last time before slamming yet another empty glass onto the counter top.

"You should take the gig, Nik." The bar keep advised, "Word on the street says a blonde phantom is filtching purses. Best be respectable for a while and earn your drinks."

Nik groaned and threw his head back dramatically, "Gimme your most expensive stuff for the rest of the night if the horse is paying"

Cornelius was quick to oblige, and Nik sauntered over to his new friend's table with a crystal glass of the most expensive wine the establishment owned.

"Oy." He say down with a thump and took a swig, some of the thick red drink dribbled down his chin. He made a face, "mmm....tannins...."

wandering_giraffe

Elara pulled out a chair for him.
"Ye've got good taste in wine," she complimented.
"So, what do ye want to know about the ship, the crew, the pay, the dangers?" She asked. She, cliche as it was, had a mug of rum in one hand, and was leaning back in her chair, precariously balancing.
"I will tell ye that the ship is kept in top shape, and while I enjoy having fun with the rest of my crew, I maintain discipline on my ship and expect the first mate to do the same. Our last first mate was the navigator, but he wasn't very good at it."
The centaur snickered at that, and she shot him a warning glare.
"Oi, I will take ye're ale away Aikos, ye bilgerat."
She sighed, and turned back to Nik.
"Name's Elara, by the way," she held out her hand.

Goldie

Nik took her hand daintily, like a fancy lady extending her hand for some lucky lordling to kiss. "Charmed, I'm sure." He drawled in his best poshy-type voice he could muster.

"I simply must know, my lovely Elara, how one so chaaaaarming as you could possibly be needing a first mate, hmmmmm?" He slurped his wine, smacked his lips, and let out a great sigh. "Your coyness makes a lady shudder to think what mischief you have seen since.....losing.....your last friend."

He leaned over the table, eyes much sharper than his words implied. Nik was no fool. He just liked his characters. Being normal was BORING.

"So," he downed the rest of his wine and held the glass above his head to signal a refill. "How 'bouts we stop with the games and tell me what you're skirting around."

wandering_giraffe

Elara, relaxed as she was, was inwardly intrigued by this character. She stopped balancing on the chair and sat straight up, her silver eyes boring into Niks.
"Aye, ye wanna know what happened to my unfortunate first mate?" She leaned forward.
"He was my close friend. 'Twas an elf, not the sharpest sword in the stack, but a good fighter; and had a sensible head." Her rum empty, she snatched the bottle of ale from Aikos and took a drink.
"Well, one rainy night, 'bout a week ago, he took a "short cut" and got us stuck in a perpetual thunderstorm. Provisions were rapidly dwindling so I started rationing—-enough for us to survive and avoid blasted scurvy; but that was it." Elara finished the bottle of ale, handing the empty bottle to Aikios.
"My first mate had been discovered stealing rations and no one knew why we had been so far off course. Well my cook, Kkärsvïg, discovered a chart he had left in the galley, our course we were supposed to be on crossed out, and the new one drawn over it." The barkeep came over and filled up Nik's glass. Elara raised her empty mug.
"More ale would be appreciated," she said. "Anyways, that's two capital offenses he did, so the next morning, I challenged him to a fight and killed him—snapped his neck." Aikios, meanwhile, was sulking, she had taken his ale and no refill seemed to be coming his way.

Goldie

Nik listened intently to the tale Elara spun. It stunk of week old fish. Not that he was surprised, no one wanted to show themselves in a bad light especially when presenting a business venture. She had killed her friend, eh? Seemed more than a little suspicious.

He needed to tread careful around her.

"Sounds like you got yourself out of a fine pickle then, eh? But I have to ask....do you always treat your friends so abhorrently?" He stared her down, letting the silence marinate.

Ten breaths passed.

"For the love of the Gods, you didn't even think twice about stealing your friend's ale!" He gestured dramatically towards the horse-man. "I'm gonna have to make sure such blatant misuse if power is addressed. OY! Cornelius!" He still kept his gaze steadily on Elara, "Get this horse-man a refill! His friend is a HORRIBLE host."

wandering_giraffe

Elara leaned forward, her expression unreadable, returning Nik's stare. Aikios's "sulking" dropped like magic and he began to laugh, punching Elara in the shoulder.
"Aye, Elara, he's got a good set of morals, this one does!"
Elara rubbed her shoulder.
"Aikios ye' r got the strength of an untamed bull! ye've just about shattered my bloody shoulder."
But she was grinning, a mischievous sparkle in her eyes.
"Let me explain. Truth be told, I did kill my first mate. But he endangered my entire crew and threw caution to the wind, he did. My crew already can be rather rowdy, which is why unchecked rule breaking like that—-two serious offenses in one day—-could be fatal—-" Aikios interrupted her, still laughing. "Aye, she likes to test people's moral compass, she does. See how people react. I'd say you've passed with flying colors. She's rather rough around the edges, but if you can break through her shell, she's sweeter than honey.
"Aikios!" Elara protested.
"Spillin' my secrets for what, ye bastard!" She was sure her shoulder was going to bruise, hell she already felt one forming. The barkeep, by this time, had brought one bottle of ale back. Aikios took it.
"Now, if my cap'ns shenanigans haven't scared ye off, I'd like to make a toast. Ye can call me horse-man if ye like, but most people just call me Aikios." And he grinned, pouring some ale for his captain and offering some to Nik.

Goldie

Nik huffed, "I like horse-man, horse-man." He buried his face in his glass. He was reaching his end and he could feel it. He would be gone before reaching the bottom of this final cup.

"I accept your job but I have one request." He wagged a finger in Elara's face, "You ain't allowed to kill me. Deal?"

He burped, loudly, and felt his faculties failing. "I'll come with ya, but ya ain't going nowhere until I wake up from a little nap that I'm gonna take Right. Here." He smacked his fist against the table to emphasize his words.

"And I'll tell ya why." He leaned even closer, his ale-stink breath coming out warm and wet towards Elara's face, "Cause ya need me. And a storm is going to hit in the next hour and last until tomorrow."

Unable to hold his head up any longer, he let darkness take him and slipped into a drunken stupor.

wandering_giraffe

Elara agreed to his deal.
But before she could toast to his acceptance of the deal, he was out cold.
She could tell that Nikkolai knew what he was talking about, and so she told Aikios to relay a message back to the Midnight Marauder that they wouldn't be leaving until tomorrow. The ship was restocked and back in ship shape.
She called the barkeep over, and settled her tab and Aikios's.
She rather felt like a small nap herself, but decided to stay awake. So she leaned back in her chair and watchfully rested, waiting for Aikios to get back. Outside, the wind had picked up, and was whistling through the windows. She shook her head in wonderment. Nikkolai really knew his stuff.

Goldie

Nik didn't know how long he was out, but when his eyelids eventually fluttered open, he could hear the howling wind outside proving, yet again, how accurate his little predictions were. Some called it magic, he called it sailor's luck.

A big mug slammed in front of his face followed by a plate of toasted bread and eggs, "Morning, princess." Cornelius grumbled.

"Fuh-yew" Nik yawned, pressing his palms to his eyes. "Why are you still up? Don't you sleep?"

"Oh, aye, I do. You just sleep longer. Now eat, the storm is on it's way out and you're going to have a hell of a morning."

Nik groaned, "Whadya mean, Corny?" He felt fuzzy, groggy, like his head was full of cotten and his mouth full of marbles.

"Your new job, idjit." The bar keep was gone before his words processed.

"Job? job? I'm RETI---ah shit."

wandering_giraffe

The door blew open and Elara and Aikios stumbled in from outside.
"Aye it's a blustery day it is! Rained all night!" Aikios said.
Oi! Nik! You were right about the storms!" He observed.
Elara grinned and walked over to Nikki. "Ship's all ready. Unless ye think storms are goin' to be givin' us trouble. At any rate, ye can come down and meet the crew! Crew is itchin to leave, and ready to meet ye! Word travels fast. Also once we get on board, I'll show ye your quarters and show ye around."

Goldie

Damn they were too loud! This whole day was too loud. The whole bloody earth was too loud for him today. Yesterday was a record for Nik in the drunk department. Knocked out cold in the mid-afternoon and straight on -till morning.

"Fuck fuck fuckity fuck me," he mumbled as he rubbed his hands over his face. He quite liked being retired. No more curfews or early rises. No more roap burn from raising and lowering sails. Just a little pilfering, a little pick pocketing, a quick nab here and there and he was golden.

He only just noticed that Cornelius had even left him a napsack and, upon further investigation, it was filled with fresh linens that would last him at least two weeks. There was even a nice blanket tucked in the side. A note slid out from beneath the folds that read, "Don't bloody mess this up. -C"

Nik smiled. Somewhere along the lines, Cornelius had taken him under his wing. He wasn't sure when or even why, but he knew that Cornelius always had his best interests at heart. It was probably why Nik always seemed to find himself back at this small little town.

"Hold your horses." He grumbled. With a grunt, he pushed back his chair and pulled his shirt off him before stumbling outside and into the wind and rain. Within a few short moments he was soaked through. The stink of stale ale and sweat washed onto the stone streets as he ran his fingers through his matted hair.

He even pulled out a bar of soap from his pocket and scrubbed his scalp and his armpits. Who needed a shower when you had rain?

After the suds rinsed away, he pulled his hair out of his face into a neat plait before reentering the pub a new man.

He was met by a handtowel to the face.

"We have baths, you bum." Cornelius spat, but Nik didn't listen as he used the towel to pat down the worst of the moisture.

"No body wants to bathe in their own shait, Corny." He reached into the pack and pulled out fresh trousers and a shirt. "Thanks for this." He added, stripping down to nothing without a moment's thought about modesty.

"Don't thank me. Em refused to let me kick you out." Nik pulled his pants over his legs and raised an eyebrow. Em was Cornelius' 18 year old daughter. "Now get your stuff and get out before her swoony, idiotic eyes see you. Ya ain't respectable enough."

With one last tug of his shirt, he turned towards his new business partners.

"M'lady," he bowed as low as his hungover head allowed, "M'horse." He bowed again. "Lead on."

By this point the rain had practically stopped and the clouds were breaking up.

wandering_giraffe

When Nik came in from his shower, Elara got up from her seat and glanced outside. The rain had gone away as fast as it had arrived, and the sun was beginning to peak through the clouds. Aikios, meanwhile, had started to nod off. Elara sighed and walked up behind him, mischief glinting in her eyes.
"Oi! Hoist the mainsails!" She roared and he shot up, saluting out of habit and wildly looking around.
"Aye, aye, cap'n!" he said and then paused.
"Wait a god-forsaken second we're not on the ship!" and he glared at Elara, who was laughing.
He shook his head and grinned.
"Oh cap'n. You know what this means right? Prank is coming right back at you."
Elara grinned, hugely enjoying herself. "Aye."
"Oi Nik, we best be going!" She said. Aikios opened the door for them and they left the tavern, making their way to the ship.
"Once we get aboard, Nik, we'll do the orientation on board, you can meet the crew, you can get settled. You don't have any ship's duties today, unless you'd like to navigate. I like to give people a chance to settle in." Elara explained.
They came around a bend in the road, and there was the ship, sitting out in the harbor. Her silver sails glistened in the sun, and her cannons were already loaded and ready. The ship was dark mahogany colored wood, with a sharp iron blade extending off the bow into the water.
"Aye," Elara said, eyes shining with pride, "There she is, the Midnight Marauder."

Goldie

Nik followed his new crew through the mostly deserted streets with a sack full of clothes and a head full of pain. The little wisps of sunlight that peeked through the dissipating clouds made his eyes water and the sound of drums echo in his ears.

I'm never bloody drinking again,  he lied to himself, not for the last time.  But Gods this was rough.

And for what? For some coins he could easily grab from some passersby? In a moment of pure defiance he bumped into a middle aged woman and walked away with his pockets a bit heavier.

Point made.

They made their way to the docks and there sat a large vessel. Quite large. Large and...noticeable. This wouldn't be a good get away ship. This ship was built to send a message.

"So....uh.... never really asked but, what kind of..... trade..... do ya do?" He stared at what appeared to be a large sword hanging of the front of the ship.

"She's got a nice sword..."

wandering_giraffe

Elara stopped at the ramp leading up to the Midnight Marauder and looked at Nik.
"We attack other pirates to cause chaos. We don't attack innocent ships unless we're really desperate. I guess ye could say we're pirates." She studied Nick.
"Ye still got a headache? Aikios is kinda our crew doctor, he might have something for your headache."
Aikios rummaged around in his satchel and came up with a black, foul-smelling root that looked like ginger root. "Here, chew this. Its aswwillow bark, helps with hangover headaches. I will say, it doesn't taste the greatest." Aikios motioned up the ramp, where Elara had already boarded and was standing, waiting for them. 
"Cap'n is leavin us behind! She's already on board!" Aikios said. Elara was already starting to yell orders, and the ships two anchors were starting to rise from the water. One of the pirates, a huge, tough-looking werewolf, spotted Aikios and Nik, and ran down the ramp to them.
"Ahoy mate! You must be our new first mate! My name is Qijarr, happy to meet ya! The werewolf was talking a mile-a-minute. He took Nick's hand, and shook it.
"Qijarr!! Get your ass back up here! Introductions are later!"

The werewolf laughed."Well anyways it was so nice to meet ya! See ya later! And the werewolf was gone. Aikios shook his head, laughing.
"Aye that's our main power fighter, Qijarr. Cap'n found him nearly dead, keelhauled in the south Hi'van ocean. He's really nice, but he turns into a different guy when he's fighting. He's the most loyal crewmate we've got. Anyways, want to board the ship?"

Goldie

So....they pirated...pirates? To cause chaos.

But....why? A mystery he'd need to figure out as he spent more time with the crew.

He nodded to Aikios and accepted the bark, thankful for something to help stave off the brutal headache that throbbed behind his eyes. Thankfully he wasn't feeling nauseous this time around.

Gods what an odd crew. It was weird enough to see a fucking horse-man on a ship, but now some wolf man too?? Were they all secretly animals mixed with humans? How did that even happen. Could you just....mate with an animal and boom! Animal human?

Nah, that was stupid.

He looked at the ship, feet still firmly placed on land.

move, he told himself firmly, but his feet didn't budge.

He hadn't expected to ever be back on water again. Not after....

MOVE.

A chill ran down his spine, his hands got clammy, but he clenched them into fists and stepped.

Immediately the bustle of the crew felt like home. He had live most of his life on the ocean. If he had to pretend to be part animal to fit in, it wouldn't be too difficult to convince them he was half fish.

He stood near the rail. The waves hadn't rose up to take him. He wasn't sure what would happen when he boarded, but not being swallowed whole was a good thing....right?

wandering_giraffe

But not all the crew mates were half animal. A big, burly man came out from below deck to where they were standing, three pints of rum in hand.
"Rum for the three travelers!" He announced, and handed them all one.
"Now I know what you're thinking, and don't worry, no hangover will come after drinking! I've worked long and hard on a special brew, especially for pirates, because the gods know you can't drink hard liquor on a boat!" He turned to Nik.
"Welcome aboard the Midnight Marauder!" And then he turned to Elara.
"Stay out of my galley Cap'n!" And he turned around and left.
"Aye that's Kkarsvïg. Best cook this side of the ocean!" Aikios explained. "I will warn ye now, he is quite possessive over his galley and will chase ye out with a soup ladle if ye're caught in there!"
Elara had just finished consulting with Qi'jarr, who held an old map in his hand. She looked rather worried, but shook it off as she turned to Nik.
"Follow me, I'll show ye yer quarters below deck." She took him below deck, where a narrow hallway ran the length of the ship. The smell of cooked fish and grilled onions were wafting out from the eating area. She pointed.
"That's the galley and the eating area."
The wooden door opened into a small torch lit room, where a few tables and chairs were. A very small bar ran the length of the far wall. There was an old, rusty skillet hanging on the far wall with a sword thrust through it. Elara grinned. "That's Kkärsvïg's handiwork. I let him decorate the eating area." There was a small, tan cloth covering a doorway in the back left that led to the galley. Across the hallway from the eating area was the medical room. The door had a green leaf that was so beautifully painted, it looked suspended in time. Inside were various satchels hung on hooks, all had a different leaf painted on them. "This is Aikios's medical station; it's not as big as I'd like it to be but he keeps insisting it's fine." There were two beds inside the medical room, both partitioned by a brown fur skin. Along one wall was a shelf stocked with various vials of liquid. Elara continued down the hallway. "On the left, that set of stairs leads down to the majority of the crew's rooms. On the right side, that ladder and the smaller set of stairs leads to the lower cannons and the armory. Well, both sets of stairs leads to the cannons, but the crew prefers to use the right side," Elara explained. They had reached the end of the hallway now. She pointed to the left side. "That's the door that leads to my quarters, and to the right is yours." The right door opened to a nice room with a decently-sized bed, and a window on the far wall. There were a few swords hanging on the wall, and three torches around the room kept it decently lit. The flames of the torch cast a cool glow around the room. There was a small cabinet under the window, and a bear skin rug adorned the floor. The treasure chest at the end of the bed was sturdy, looking well-built and heavy.
"We can go to the armory later, if you'd like to pick out a sword. Oh! I almost forgot, damn me!" And Elara took out of her pocket a small key.
"This is for your room. I'm sure you must be tired; you're welcome to rest up and meet us in the eating area for supper! Kkärsvïg will sound the bell for supper. I can give you a better tour of the armory later." The ship suddenly shuddered, and Elara grinned.
"Aye, that means we've left port and are out on open sea! They must have gathered in the sails quickly! If ye need me, I'll be across the hall!" And Elara left, going into her quarters to muse over a particularly frustrating trade route chart.