Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just a Man and his Rowboat [DragonSong][M]

Started by Goldie, September 26, 2023, 03:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

@DragonSong

Traveling by sea was always a dangerous endeavor even for the most seasoned sailor. Between unexpected turbulent waves and weather, you never really knew what you were going to get once leaving port.

Unless, of course, you had an uncanny knack for knowing the weather. Maybe more than a knack considering Nik was never wrong, but he still just looked at it as a string of good luck.

And Gods did he need some good luck today.

After....the event....the ocean was no longer a safe place for him and, though he did his best, living in port towns did kind of throw a wrench in his plans from time to time. Especially when the city watch caught on to the strikingly handsome man who was borrowing peoples purses...

Well....then it was time to bounce.

But ships were obvious and he needed to be silent. Discrete. Ghostly.

And he was broke.

But mostly phantomly!

So he did what any sane person who needed to get off of an island to avoid prison did. He commandeered his own boat! Sure, it was modest and only had just enough space for his captain and crew and a few precious belongings, but people wouldn't miss it.

"Oy, Captain!" He called over his shoulder, "Should be clear sailing for the rest of the night." He paused, "Those clouds you say? Ah, naught but little wisps, nothing to worry yourself over."

"Thanks, Nik!" He responded back to himself, "You're the best first mate a captain could ask for."

"Awww...shucks, Captain, you're making me blush!"

And with that the strange conversation ended and a single figured pulled at the oars of a tiny rowboat into the vast open ocean with the stars as his guide.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

DragonSong

The relative shallows she'd been claiming as her temporary territory were so clear that the shadow of a boat passing above her was more than enough to catch Morgana's attention.

She glanced up, judging the size of the craft. Ah. Not a ship. Barely a dinghy, really.

Almost despite herself, she was intrigued; there weren't many who would venture out onto the water in such a craft, not this far from shore. And a boat like that would hold one, maybe two people.

Not anything worth hunting...but curious all the same.

She considered a moment longer, then started to swim for the surface, rising in lazy spirals until her head broke the water some handful of yards from the small rowboat.

Silvery white hair drifted through the water around her as she flicked her tail in careful little circles to keep herself bobbing in place. Her head tilted, a smirk touching at her lips as she caught the end of the odd sailor's self exchange.

"Do you often talk to yourself?" she asked in a siren's coo, smirk widening. "Or is your captain truly invisible?"

Goldie

So intent on his rowing and imaginary conversation with himself was Nik, that the sudden voice broke him from his stupor with violence. A high-pitched shriek escaped his lips and he jumped so high the rowboat nearly capsized. Thankfully he was able to gather himself fast enough to lung to the other side of the boat before it was too late.

Gosh he was good.

"Oh...oh...dear sea goddess...I am but a lowly manservant taking his majestic ship to a new port. Nothing to see here! Nothing remotely of interest. And definitely not someone your kind would have any reason to be mad about. Nope. Not me!"

His oar slipped down the side of the boat and he lunged for it, but was too late. He grasped at the oar as it sunk below the waves too quickly for him to reach.

"Ah fuck." He muttered, "Guess hands it is!" And he reached over the sides and promptly began inching the boat forward with cupped hands.

DragonSong

Morgana laughed, rolling onto her back and floating alongside the boat. "Sea goddess?" she repeated playfully, flicking her tail so that an arc of water droplets sparkled through the air. "I've been called many things, sailor, but I'll admit that is a new one."

She watched his oar slip into the water with mild curiosity, then looked back to him.

"You could always ask for help," she pointed out blithely. A flicker of a true smile moved across her face, showing sharp teeth, before she was back to that close-lipped smirk.

Goldie

Nik shook his head.

"Thanks but no thana great goddess. I got two good hands and they make good cups. Just gotta go a few miles....ish...."

He tipped his hat with a sopping wet hand, "Thank you, Goddess Lady Ma'am. I appreciate you coming up to check out my wonderful little ship, but the captain and I got it covered."

And he didn't want to owe her any favors. Favors from the likes of her were never simple nor straightforward and he wasn't in a position of strength to refuse her if she came calling to collect.

But damn...she was beautiful. As he continued to slowly paddle his little boat  he stole glances in her direction. Maybe she didn't know her....maybe he'd luck out and get to spend time with another siren....

DragonSong

She laughed again, curving backward through the water in a loop before surfacing again. Oh, this little human was an odd one--and she'd hunted recently enough that she wasn't all that interested in him for that. At least, not yet.

Another giggle and she ducked beneath the water and...disappeared. There was no ripple of her passage through the waves, nothing to indicate that she had ever been there at all.

At least, until Nik's rowboat jostled slightly underneath him, and then began to move steadily in the direction he'd pointed the bow quite without him paddling along with his hands--for whatever good that had even been doing him.

Goldie

"What the hell!?" He shouted, falling back in the boat as it lurched forward suddenly. He couldn't say a part of him wasn't grateful of course, but the damned sea creature clearly didn't like to listen.

He wondered if maybe this one didn't have ears or something. It wasn't like he had that much experience with her kind. But...maybe a little more than the average still-alive sailor.

"Oy! Miss Fish!" He stomped on the boat, "What are you doing???"

DragonSong

The boat stopped as Morgana curved under it to pop her head back out of the water on the starboard side. "I should think that was obvious," she said, cocking her head to the side in an manner that was almost avian. "I am moving your boat."

She looked at him a moment longer, then ducked beneath the water again to reappear a few moments later on the other side of the rowboat. She was nearly close enough to reach out and touch, though continued to maintain a careful arm's distance between herself and the side of the boat.

"Unless you'd prefer to drift aimlessly." She shrugged, then pointed eastward. "There's an islet that way. At the very least, you could make yourself another oar--though I doubt you'd reach it using just your hands."

Another sharp-toothed smile, and she tilted her head the other way. "Of course, you could always come for a swim."

Goldie

Nik eyed her with suspicion. He didn't trust her. After all, the last Siren he had encountered had tried to kill him and vowed to kill him the next time she caught him on the ocean.

For no reason! He hadn't done anything wrong!

"So.....do you just.....ferry sailors safely across the ocean on a regular basis? For free? No strings? No.....dinner.....?"

DragonSong

She chuckled quietly and flicked her tail through the water again. "Oh, I'm not hungry." Another flash of those almost shark-like teeth.

Then she shrugged and spun onto her back again, floating lazily alongside the rowboat. "But no, I don't usually do this. Perhaps I'm simply intrigued. Or perhaps I want something from you."

The siren ducked beneath the water again to surface near the bow of the little boat, just a hair closer than she had been before. She shrugged once again and tipped her head from side to side. "I'm not sure myself, in truth. But are you really in a position to be questioning help just now?"

Goldie

"Oh goody." He said both sarcastically and sincerely, if you could believe it. Honestly, it was a mix of both because he didn't want to be indebted to her, but he also was glad she wasn't hungry.

"And listen here, you." He pointed a finger in her direction like a school teacher scolding a student, "I was doing just fine until you swam around scarring the pants off a nice man just minding his own business. I commendeered this boat to be quiet and discrete and now it's ruined."

He pouted, jutting his bottom lip out dramatically. Thankfully it was a full moon and the ocean was sparkling brilliantly as the gentle waves lapped against the rowboat.

Hmmmm...perhaps he had been too harsh. Could never tell with these Sirens if they'd be offended or what.

"Candy?" He offered a small apple candy from his pocket. They were his favorite and he carried them everywhere.

DragonSong

Morgana simply stared at him with her head tilted and one eyebrow quirked as he accused her of "ruining" his commandeering plan—from what she had seen, that plan had been something of a dead end.

She made a point of looking around their empty surroundings when he complained that his "discreetness" had been sabotaged by her presence. It wasn't like they had an audience, or were likely to get one, and she looked back to him perhaps a little smugly.

Maybe she would leave. She knew where he was now, if she decided to come back for a hunt later—

But then he offered her candy.

She blinked at his outstretched hand, and that semi-constant smirk she'd been wearing abruptly fell away to be replaced with a moment of pure, genuine curiosity.

"...What is...candy?"

Goldie

"Yeah. Candy." He popped one into his mouth and sighed happily. Gods that woman made the best candy he'd ever had in his life. He would spend someone elses life savings to keep his candy obsession filled.

Well...after he made land at a new location with heavy purses and unexpecting  folks getting bumped into a few times...

"It's called that because it can make you happy and keep you from dying because it's so good. Can-dy." He shook his hand at her, encouraging her to try it. "One of the best thing on this Earth lemme tell you!" He popped another in his mouth and swooned dramatically.

"Uuuuugh...so good....better than sex." He paused and rethought his comment, "eh...sometimes."

DragonSong

The siren drifted just a little closer to the boat—in proper arm's length now, which could be a danger to herself or the sailor (or both), depending on who you asked.

"So it is...food," she said slowly, watching him put what looked to her like a small, colorful pebble into his mouth. When he shook his hand in her direction she eyed it critically, like it was some potentially distasteful creature heretofore undiscovered.

"...Why are you offering this to me?" she asked, not reaching out to take the candy but allowing herself to drift even closer. One eyebrow inching upward again, she added a bit more dryly, "Sex is a hard thing to come by alone on open waters. If it is as good as you say, should you not keep it for yourself?"

Goldie

"Food?" He scoffed, "Food? is more than just food, it's an experience. It's what makes life worth living. It's a combination of sweet and tangy in a perfect, balanced combination with just a hint of cinnamon to linger on the palette. It's one of the few things that makes us humans better than barbarians."

He popped another in his mouth and sighed again.

"And I'm sharing because I'm a nice person and I want to spread joy."

DragonSong

Morgana gave him a very sharp look that said she didn't believe that reasoning for a moment, but still she allowed herself to bob even closer--close enough that when she blinked, the flicker-film of her second set of eyelids was visible.

"...Fine." She held a hand out. "I will judge for myself."

Goldie

Nik smiled excitedly. True excitement mind you, and practically bounced as he dropped the candy into her outstretched hand. His fingers brushed ever so slightly against her palm, but that was the extent of the contact. He could have held his hand a little higher, but he would be damned if one of those candies fell into the water to join that traitorous oar.

"Go on!" He urged, leaned against the side of the rowboat and ignored when it leaned precariously.

He popped yet another candy in his mouth and grinned.

DragonSong

Morgana drew her hand back quickly once the candy was in her palm. She lifted it closer to her face and sniffed at it cautiously, then cut her eyes up toward him sidelong before darting the tip of her tongue out to press against the smooth surface of the thing.

She quickly reeled back, blinking and smacking her tongue against the roof of her mouth at the foreign taste. "What in--?"

She glared at the candy as though it had personally offended her, lip curled back in the beginning of a snarl. It was so strange. He actually liked this?

Well. It was a challenge now. Still glaring, she quickly snapped the whole thing up and crunched down on it--clearly the idea of sucking on the small piece of sugar had not occurred to her.

She was so absorbed in the abrupt assault of flavor that at first she didn't notice the slight ripple on the surface of the water behind his boat, or the way it stalled just a few yards away before disappearing, as though whatever caused it had dived down.

Goldie

Nik watched her intently, leaning further and further onto the edge of the boat completely engrossed in her experience of the candy. Her reaction reminded him of the first time a baby tried a food. First complete rejection and then..

then.......!

He leaned too far and the tiny rowboat flipped sending Nik right into the ocean water while the small belongings he had with him toppled in after.

Bottles quickly bobbed up to the surface, but the rest began their slow descent into the darkness.

Water filled his nose, his ears, and his mouth -since it was gaping while watching his new friend experience the candy. Thankfully, he wasn't new to the whole water situation so he quickly followed his bubbles and burst back into the air treading water to stay afloat.

"Well fuck." He sputtered, wiping the saltwater from his eyes. He recovered quickly and looked around for the siren, "so......how was it!?"

DragonSong

Morgana was actually surprised by the sudden capsizing of the rowboat. She'd been so absorbed in the strangeness of the apple candy that she hadn't noticed the tipping of balance until it was too late--not that she was sure herself if she would have warned the sailor or not.

She debating diving down after him, but he surfaced quickly enough on his own. She did flick her tail to get some distance between them as he bobbed in the water, head tipped at him curiously.

Rather than answer his question, she noted, "Your boat is upside down." He seemed strangely unconcerned by the whole affair--and not nearly as nervous as she expected most folks to be when they found themselves within drowning distance of a siren.

Glancing around, she added, "And it seems most of your supplies have sunk." Well, save for the bottles. She didn't know all that much about human dietary needs, but she had a feeling that wasn't going to be enough.