Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just a Man and his Rowboat [DragonSong][M]

Started by Goldie, September 26, 2023, 03:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

He didn't pull his hand back this time, but the whole situation had him confused. "But...you're out of the water." He told the darkness, "Like rightly out of it." He emphasized. He knew it was possible, but he also knew generally it wasn't something sea dwellers wanted to do.

But....here she was...potentially out of the water. Not that he could be sure, of course, since his sad human eyes were absolutely zero help in this cave.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

DragonSong

"It certainly seems that way," Morgana responded blithely. "C'mon, this way."

She started leading him through the shallow water to a lip along the edge of the cave wall. It should be large enough for him to sleep comfortably.

"Could your siren not leave the water?" she asked as they walked—partly because she was curious, and partly because she simply wasn't used to having legs, and so moved slower than she perhaps would have liked.

Goldie

"She could," he replied, shuffling and stumbling forward with one hand clutched in hers and the other reaching around just in case he could find something anchor himself to, "but she didn't like too. Said it was beneath her. Though, I actually think it had more to do with losing some of her strength. She can do.....a lot.....with the ocean. Affect weather, mists, change tides. Ain't no tides to change when you're walking on land."

He paused again and a small creeped on his face in memory, "I mean....I certainly liked having her on land. But I'm just a bumbling, blind human." He slipped again and his knee cracked on the stones.

DragonSong

"Ahhh." She nodded. "Sounds like she's a proper sea witch. It's rare for merfolk to be able to trade fins for legs if they're not. Usually the result of a curse of some sort."

She didn't seem to feel the need to elaborate on the fact that she could do so, and had already claimed not to be a sea witch.

When he slipped again she tried to keep ahold of his hand, but couldn't manage to keep him from cracking a knee on the stones. "Well. That sounded painful," she noted as she knelt next to him. She ran one hand up his leg, scenting the air for blood. "Can you stand?"

Goldie

His breath hissed in sharply and he swatted away her hand when he felt her feeling for a wound, "I'm fine, I'm fine." He grunted through clenched teeth, "More bruised than before, but nothing's broken. Probably."

He tested his words by gently putting weight on the injured leg and then hobbling forward. It hurt with the added pressure, but it didn't collapse so...probably ok.

"What exactly are you looking for here? I didn't get a good look before descending into the depths of hell itself."

DragonSong

Morgana drew her hand back quickly when he swatted at her, though not without an indignant huff.

"There's a ledge," she answered his question with a small sniff. "It's only a few feet ahead of you—it'll keep you dry while you sleep, and protected from anything that might be living in this bit of water.

She splashed one hand through the shallow water around them. It was unlikely there was anything all that dangerous in it, but it often paid to be cautious.

Goldie

He stood for a few moments just staring into the darkness. Gods how could anyone evolve to see in it? It was so dark it felt almost suffocating.

Then he shook his head and sat down right where he was, allowing the chill ocean depths to cover his legs and hips.

"Yeah...this sounds just fine. Right here.  No moving required."

DragonSong

Morgana sighed expressively. "Far be it from me to curb your vaguely suicidal tendencies," she said dryly, "but the ledge is three feet in front of you. All it would take is for you to roll over in your sleep in this and you could drown."

She glared down at him, though she knew he couldn't see it. "...I can carry you, if you want."

Goldie

"To be fair," he argued, "I could roll over in my sleep and off that ledge and still drown so seems like I'm doomed. But fine." he stood up again, his knee feeling tender but not unusable.

By the time he stood up again, he was turned around. He held out his hands and spun in a very slow circle.

"Yeah....this is fun. Where....is it again?"

DragonSong

"This way." She took his hand and guided him through the dark until he could touch the ledge. "Here. And the stone has a lip, see?"

With her hand hovering over his, she let him trace along the edge of the formation to feel the way the stone dipped in toward the wall—so if he did roll over, it would just roll him back.

Smirking into nothingness, she asked, "Do you need me to help you up?"

Goldie

He let her lead his hand over the ledge and was actually thankful she did so. Then...the snark.

"Oh ha. ha." He responded with an eye roll before lithely pulling himself up and turning to let his feet dangle over the edge. The cuts along his leg from the sea snail were stinging, but the seaweed remained tightly wrapped and were helping deaden the pain. He took a moment to roll up his pant leg and gingerly touch his knee. And winced. Yeah, that hurt, and he could feel that it was already swelling. Wonderful. Just what he needed.

The cave was....well....cold. There was no other way to describe it. Coupled with his wet clothes it wasn't long before shivers set in.

"Alright. I'm up. So now we do what? Sleep? Should we take watch?" He laughed heartily at that. The cave was just as dark now as it had been before. If anything wanted to eat him, he'd be a sitting duck.

DragonSong

She waited until he was settled before her shoulders fully relaxed. Her joke about taking watch earned a short huff of laughter and an eye roll that she knew he couldn't see.

"We'll be safe in here," she replied. "The only real danger to you would be the most embarrassing case of drowning in human history."

She finally seemed to notice the slight shivers of his shadowy form in the darkness, and put two and two together. "Ah. Or hypothermia, I suppose..."

Ohh...damnit.

She took in a breath, then released it heavily. "Scooch in," she grumbled, climbing up onto the ledge next to him. "I'm afraid I don't have a dry blanket handy, so you'll just have to make do with me."

Goldie

Nik chuckled and sighed, "ok, fine, but hold on a second." He immediately started removing his clothes starting with his shirt which he blindly felt around for the edge of the ledge far enough away that it wouldn't touch them where they laid.

DragonSong

"Ahhhh..."

Morgana went abruptly tense and froze in place. "Just what do you think you're doing?" Her tone was mild, but there was the promise of danger just beneath it if she didn't like his answer.

Being a creature of the sea, it hadn't occurred to her that sleeping in wet clothes could be just as cold and uncomfortable as sleeping in the water itself.

Goldie

He could hear the danger creeping into her voice and he immediately held up his hands and waved them in her general direction.

"No. No no no no. It's just those clothes will make it impossible to get warm. They're wet and will make it worse. I'm not trying anything I swear. How stupid would I have to be to try and take advantage of you in the middle of your domain??" He stopped trying to unfasten his pants, "Body against body works best, but I'll leave these on if it will make you more comfortable." His teeth clattered together but he remained still where he was with hands extended in an attempt to show her he meant everything he was saying.

DragonSong

"...Oh."

That actually made sense.

She huffed, then waved a hand at him airily. "Fine, fine. I suppose it'll be best for both of us, in the long run." She shrugged, shifting to give him a bit more room so he could continue removing what clothing he needed to.

"I'm...not used to begging out of my scales," she admired, running one hand down her own—surprisingly smooth—arm.

Now that he'd said something, she realized she was actually growing a little chilled on the bare stone. It wasn't like she had any clothes either; in the dark, that hadn't seemed like such a big deal.

Goldie

"So.....yes....pants? Or.....no? if you're trying to tell me something your eyes or hands or something I can't see you."

DragonSong

Ah. Right. He couldn't.

She huffed. "You can take them off," she sighed. "Just...know that I'd you do decide to try something, I will eat you."

She settled herself onto the ledge, trying to adjust to the heaviness of sleeping out of the water.

Goldie

"Got it. Understood. Unwanted sexual advances equals eating. I promise you I do not wish to be eaten. I swear on those apple candies that I will not start anything or put you in a compromising position unless you specifically ask me to do so. I don't mess around with those candies." His words sounded ridiculous, but his inflection was deadly serious.

He pulled his pants down and felt warmer for it, but still cold. Wet clothes were the worst.

"Ah. I do need your help." He held up the ring, "can you help me put this on the chain around my neck? I'm worried about dropping it."

DragonSong

"...Fine."

She tried to sound properly annoyed, but wasn't sure she quite managed it. Twisting to face him, it took her a moment to find the ring he was holding out to her—though she could see in the dark, she couldn't see well. It was all shadows upon shadows.

Taking the ring, she let her fingers ghost along his collar until she found the chain he spoke of. "And...there." She slipped the ring onto the chain, double checking the clasp with sure fingers just to be safe.

"Now, get some sleep." She rolled to put her back to him. "It'll be dawn in a few hours—if you want something done about that mark, it's a good two more days of swimming to reach my...acquaintance."