Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Clock Face [M]

Started by visualspice, November 07, 2023, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Two weeks they had been out to sea, two weeks the infamous criminal lay asleep. The moment they arrives he had yet to open eyes- no doubt the half elf woman he brought with him was a mess of shock and concern. 

He had been bleeding- from all orifices, unmoving and cold- as if dead.

But his heart beat still- a slow, shallow rhythm, barely changing from day to day, week to week.

The crew knew what to do. They expected as much and didn't so much as step into the room once it was confirmed of his.. condition. And they immediately took sail. It would take quite a while to travel so far south to Essryn. One might consider Opus' slumber a blessing. But with each lulling rock of the boat he slept away...

His heart beat.. beat.. beating slow.
It almost seemed in tune with the very familiar clock sitting inside his room- looming across the bed chambers like a obelisk. A constant- tick.. tick.. tock.

But never once did he waiver. And never once did his crew run afoul or try to betray. No..

No it seemed each man remained vigilante to their duties- even as they followed the orders of the strange always laughing man Opus had left in charge.

For even as Saoirse was left in some sort of confused, panick state- it was this man- Dao'bachpa- whom she came upon. And once he realized her distress...

He had laughed.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

At first she wasn't sure what had happened. His lips were upon her before she could even think; before she could so much as breathe. And Gods was it a kiss. It enveloped her as much, if not more, than his arms that pulled her close. She drowned in him.

Then her world lurched and she stumbled as the floor shifted beneath her feet and she slammed into the wall of a wooden room just as Opus fell in a bloody heap before her.

The events that followed were a blur. Nothing felt real. A kiss and then blood. Blood and then a kiss. She couldn't recall if she called for help, or cried out, or just fell to her knees and scooped Opus into her lap, but there were hands on her shoulders pulling her away from him. She struggled, of that she was sure, and they spoke to her softly about "handling it" or "calm down" or "it's ok" but it didn't look like everything would be fine. People did not bleed the way Opus was bleeding and just be fine.

Then she was practically dragged from the room as the people worked to save nin vrae. Dragged up a short flight of stairs and into blinding sunlight. Her eyes rushed to adjust and she sneezed and then....laughter.

They wouldn't let her see him at first. Before anything she was put in a small room and forced to change out of bloody clothes for the second time this day. She remembered being told to be thorough for reasons she didn't understand at the time, and was provided a small pile of exquisitely tailored clothes that were all, inexplicably, her size. Even the dresses were the correct length. They were the clothes of someone who wanted pieces to last.

She tried to leave a few times and was pushed back in and instructed that she needed to be even more thorough. By the time she was finished, practically all of the brown had rinsed from her hair and her skin was flush from scrubbing, but she was finally suitable enough for...whatever it was.

It turned out to be a very good reason, but at the time all she wanted was to see Opus. To make sure he was ok. To offer any assistance she could. To just hold his damned hand.

Afterwards, her own injured hand was thoroughly cleaned and tightly bandaged before she was allowed to meet Dao.

Oh Dao...the man who had laughed at her distress...the man who wasn't even really a man anymore and was the reason for all of the meticulous cleaning forced upon her. She couldn't describe Dao. He was...Dao...but she quickly learned that she liked him.

Days passed. She was eventually allowed to sit with Opus, but he wasn't waking up and she couldn't exist by his bedside forever. So she began to explore. At first people gave her some distance, offering only necessities as needed.

But then she found herself lonely and did the only thing she felt truly good at - she played. There was a small harp and a lute with her things and it didn't take long for her songs to attract the crew. Between her own impressive abilities and the illusions that cascaded from the skies, she began breaking down the walls that being a guest of Opus Dey had been thrust around her. By the end of the first week, they began to request favorites -sometimes raunchy tavern songs, sometimes soft lullabies, and Saoirsa played until her fears lessened for a time.

At night, she spent her time on deck while the rest slept. It had been so long since she let moonlight wash over her and she would stand for hours at the rail staring at the waves and the starlight. The ship was magical. Pure and complete magic. Never in her long years had she experienced something like it before and it filled her with untold amounts of pure joy. What the crew thought of her standing there, she didn't know, but she was a sight to behold. When the moon grew full, her skin radiated light like gentle wafts of smoke lifting from her body and the intricate tattoos across her shoulders became the brightest silver. Of course, any and all moonlight triggered these changes, but the full moon made her seem almost ghostly.

And that was where she stood, in the glow of the full moon, two weeks after Opus fell bringing them to the ship, just watching the horizon. Waiting.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

visualspice

"You a moon elf?" Came a voice from across the ship. It was the vampire, perched in a casual lean against the side of the ship. "You glow like it." And he pointed up to the moon, incase it wasn't obvious.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

When Dao spoke, Saoirse was actively leaning precariously over the rail in an attempt to look into the waves that brushed against the edge of the boat as well as the little dots of stars that reflected on the water. She had heard tales of the ocean, but nothing could have prepared her for what it was actually like. It was expansive. It was all encompassing. There was just nothing but water and sky for miles and miles straight until the horizon dropped off.

Surprisingly, considering how engrossed she was in the scenery, she didn't so much as flinch when his voice reached her ears. It was a good thing, too because she was leaning so far that one of her feet was lifted off the deck while the other supported her on the tips of her toes.

"Mmmm..." she hummed in response, but did not look over at him. Instead, she stretched her fingertips as far as they could go in an attempt to catch the sea spray, "It's been a fortnight and you're only asking that now?"

visualspice

Dao shrugged, watching as she hung over the edge of the ship like a cat.

"I try not to be rude?" His grin seemed to glow in the darkness. 

A moment later, he was on her side of the boat, leaning with his back against the rail

Goldie

She laughed at that and brought both feet, bare feet as she preferred the feel of the wooden planks beneath her, back down onto the deck and brushed loose curls from her face as she turned to look at where he now leaned by her.

"Well, now I'm curious what else you've not asked because you thought it rude."

visualspice

Dao's grin returned and he lifted a finger, wagging it at her.
"As long as you're just curious and not asking..." but he laughed before he finished his thought.

Goldie

Her eyebrows raised at the silence that followed.

"Well, now I'm curious and asking."

visualspice

"Well.." Dao began. But another voice cut in.

"I should have warned you about that one...."

Dao's face blossomed as he turned to address....
"Opus! You're less dead now! That's great!"

The tall man looked like death, a hand leaning against the wall for support as he looked over at the pair. He winced as he walked, but tried to ignore it best he could. He could deal with the aches for now.

When he approached, he paused before Saoirse- a faint smile touching his lips. 

Then Dao stepped between them.

"Glad to see you're finally awake! The rest of the men were worried I was nibbling on you while you slept."

Opus eyed the vampire before just pushing him aside, then made the two extra strides to move over to Saoirse as he looked at her.

"And don't worry-" Doa added. "I didn't nibble on her either. "

But Opus really didn't hear it.

"Are you well?" He asked her, voice gruff but soft.

Goldie

It had been so long, and Saoirse had been doing her best to ignore the whispering voice in the back of her mind that said he would never wake up, that it took a moment to realize who was speaking. But the moment she did, her head whipped around and she was forced to grip the rail for support as disbelief washed through her. But sure enough, there he stood. Well, he was certainly doing his best to stand but it was clear that it was taking him a lot of effort.

She took a step forward, but Dao was there before her and she was forced to stop. But he certainly didn't stop Opus.

"I'm fine." She responded to his question, and then she pushed him on his arm - being careful not to be too rough given his current state, "Two. Weeks. Opus." her voice shook with all of the emotions she had choked down since arriving, "We get here and then you're just gone. But apparently that's completely normal and you didn't warn me - and two weeks."

visualspice

The same small little smile was there as she dished out her reprimand, and he began to cough- either as if to hife a chuckle- or maybe a chuckle had turned into a cough?

Unfortunately, whatever it had been before, soon turned sour and Opus turned away, quick to draw out a kerchief from his front pocket before coughing into it

And when he pulled away,.. his hand curled the kerchief close, but it was hard to hide the fact it had been blood.

Goldie

Even if he had been able to be sneakier with his attempt, Saoirse's elvish vision coupled with the light that billowed off of her in the moonlight made it nearly impossible to hide the blood. Even the cough itself was harsh and bubbled sinisterly.

In an instant, all anger and annoyance and hurt melted away and was replaced by fear and concern. She swooped in next to him and put a supportive arm around his waist and a hand on his chest. Normally she was quite strong for her stature, but with the moon came an almost God-like strength and if she had wanted to, she could have picked him up and carried him with no trouble.

"You shouldn't be up here." She told him softly, "You should be resting."

visualspice

Opus grimaced, but shook a hand at the remedy. 

"I'll be fine. I rested for too long. I'll just-"

Dao cut him off with a quip. "He'll cheat with a heal ring. Or potion. Or just say say sex is the only way."

Opus paused to eye him.

Dao shrugged. 

"Sounds like something dastardly types would say."

Goldie

Saoirse was already prepared for Opus to push back against rest, he just wasn't the type for idleness no matter how necessary, but Dao's quips were new. At least new to her.

"You." She pointed at the Vampire, "Not helping. Just....Shush."

And then her attention was back to Opus, "I'm assuming if you have something that'll help," she shot a warning glance at Dao in case he decided to say something. Her hand was ready to waive in his face to cut him off, "It's probably not up here."

visualspice

Opus grunted a nod of affirmation.

"I came to check on you, first."

Dao sighed from where he had been shooed away, leaning back against the boat's outer deck.

"He's not a trusting man," the vampire lamented.

Opus paid him no mind.

"Are you well? Have my men treated you fairly?"

Goldie

She didn't know if she should be flattered or annoyed that he would risk his own health and safety to ensure her own. Though perhaps she shouldn't have been surprised given the troubles he had gone through for her in the past. This, though, this felt different. He wasn't doing some big grand scheme that happened to go wrong, he had chosen to rise from the dead  and his first thought was of her.

If she hadn't been fully transformed by the moonlight, the flush that rose in her cheeks at the thought may have been visible.

"We can talk while getting you what you need." She urged, "Let's get you there, ok? I'm fine. I've been treated very well." Too well, even, she would argue, for a random passenger who offered nothing but nightly entertainment to ease her own drooping spirit.

visualspice

He nodded.  He knew it was foolish to check on her first- he had tight security with any men that he worked with. He could trust them.. well enough. But even he knew all men had a price. And mortals were fickle creatures. It was just the way of men.

But he was glad to see she was doing well, and he finally took the time to admire her shining form in the moonlight. It was a reminder of what she was- what she stood for. And a reminder why he had to get her out of Connlaoth at all costs.

Connlaoth.. he wouldn't need to go back there for a while. He had cemented his northern holds two fold. But with time.. men would forget. And eventually he'd have to return.

He continued to admire her before pulling a bottle and two glasses from his pocket.

"Some wine ,first."
While he still felt and was reminded that he too, were mortal. He too, was human.

Goldie

She kept her arm protectively around him while trying to steer him towards his quarters where she assumed whatever he needed would be kept. At the very least it would give him a place to sit down and stop with his current stubborn nonsense. She could feel his eyes on her even when she wasn't looking and felt uncomfortable. This was the first time she had been around him outside in the full moon. What was he thinking? Was it odd? Were there moments of judgment swirling through his head? It was a normal thing for her kind, but humans didn't just...glow like she did. And he wasn't exactly the most verbose person she had met. Much of his thoughts went unsaid and left her wondering.

"Ah..." she looked at the two glasses and the bottle of wine that he pulled from his clothes and frowned, "I may have limited experience with Humans, but I'm fairly certain that is not in your best interests right now."

visualspice

"Of course it's not." He offered out a glass, waiting for her to take one.  "But allow me this time to be just another stupid human, indulging in this simple vice. "

Goldie

Saoirse frowned, but slowly reached up to take one of the glasses.

"Don't do that." She said quietly, "You're not stupid." She rolled the glass delicately in her moonlit fingers, "And I'm only taking this to get you to leave faster."